1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Blood Bowl 2020 Official Team Tiers

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Coach, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I thought it might be handy to have a post with a list of how Games Workshop have marked the team tiers in the new leaked rules.

Tier 1.
    Dark Elf
    Dwarf
    Human
    Lizardmen
    Old World Alliance
    Orc
    Shambling Undead
    Skaven
    Wood Elf

Tier 2.

Black Orc
    Chaos Chosen
    Chaos Renegades
    Elven Union
    Imperial Nobility
    Necromantic Horror
    Nurgle
    Underworld

Tier 3.
    Goblin
    Halfling
    Ogre
    Snotling

2. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Orcs and Old World Alliance shouldn't be Tier 1, IMHO. I'm hopeful for DElves, WElves and Skaven, but not sure they can hold the fort of Tier 1 with the new passing rules.

3. Shadow

Shadow Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    shadow runner
    Country Flag:
    DElves having none random access to guard and the new anti-guard skill seem to give them a huge boost to advancement at being a ag4 bash team.

patbou73 likes this.
  4. Alistair Hutton

Alistair Hutton Member

Country Flag:
    Skaven get 2+ Pass on the Thrower. Their throwing game has been improved.

5. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    This. There will be a lot of scope for picking what would have been doubles before as standard builds for only a modest price increase. Blodge Guard Blitzers for many races are now easily obtained.

6. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Which is a bit ridiculous. It will stop being fun the moment you realise everybody is doing the same, and all players are alike. Secondary skills will become the norm on many builds, and not just a lucky advancement. Frankly, I don’t like this at all. I’ll take advantage of it, for sure. But I doubt the game will be more interesting. Blodge will become the vanilla build on players like Orcs and Humans Blitzers, and all DElves Assassins will level up to Multi Block at the first opportunity. Wardancers will have MB standard, and simple Lineman will spam Guard. What was once rare will become the norm, and all players will develop the same way. Where’s the fun of diversity? Isn’t Blood Bowl supposed to be the craziness of rolling dice? I doubt paying a few more SPPs and adding 10k to TV will make up for that.

Oh, at first we’ll see diversity. Until the metagame settles and the intricacies of the new system are fully explored. But the « best » build will soon be found by pros, articles will be written, we’ll copy paste, and not even have to hope for that double, we’ll pay for it.

That’s it, I’m rambling and complaining again, like the old man that I am. Gee, these shoes were comfortable, why change them? :(

7. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    I share your concerns. I was additionally worried about the cost difference between random skills and the same skills when picked. Specifically in the case of a perpetual league, it seems strange to see two identical teams with vastly different TV, just because one coach has been randomizing his team for ages.

However, I think that the seasons system should solve most of this. You will only have a few matches to level your players before having to redraft them (presumably after playing each opposing coach exactly once). Because you have to pay an ever increasing premium for keeping the same player, and because of the redrafting price ceiling, I would expect a lot fewer players with 3+ additional skills getting redrafted over and over.
    Even though there will definitely be builds to work towards, I don't think many teams will ever make it to that final godly build. Most will be perpetually trying to get there with players in varying stages of development.

Supposedly, there will also always be players that build unconventional teams. Because always building the same thing is boring, or because they want to challenge themselves. I hope you will find these players too in your leagues ;)

8. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I think that leagues will need to shift to longer seasons if they use the new redrafting rules. A typical 10 team division could for example change from a 9 game season to an 18 game season with home and away games.

This would mean that teams would be able to develop a decent amount and not be so impacted by a high frequency of redrafting.

Redrafting could also mean that horizontal division structures with end of season play-off (like the NFL), make more sense than vertical structures with promotion and relegation.

Gallows Bait likes this.
  9. Waldorf

Waldorf New Member

Country Flag:
    Discussion of Tiers seems to be hampered by the fact GW and the NAF seem to use the word to mean different things. Page 107 of the new rule book suggests the Tiering system is more to do with the accessibility of the team and how forgiving it is to play rather than its raw competitiveness.

patbou73 likes this.
  10. notorious noob

notorious noob Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    tbh skaven are tier 1 competitiveness but certainly not for ease of play so that doesnt really make sense either?

Coach likes this.
  11. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    18 game seasons might be too long - the difference in tv between and random and chosen skills legend war dancer in that time is significant.

I also think at redraft the tv difference between random and not needs to be equalised (which I don’t think is in the rules).

Ideally, in BB3 leagues could have the option to disable random skills.

patbou73 likes this.
  12. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I was also wondering if some formats may not have a random skill option in Blood Bowl 3 when it comes out, specifically perpetual formats.

13. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    This is true, but that really only helps on the skaven offense, where skaven don't have a lot of issues scoring to begin with. Skaven defense, on the other hand, is very dependent on being able to pop the ball out, get a gutter in there to grab the ball, and then making a quick pass to another gutter to get out of there. I see skaven being much more difficult on defense with the 2020 rules. Break Tackle isn't as effective at cage busting any more, so the rat ogre won't be as good on defense either.

Ravers likes this.
  14. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    I'm pretty sure that the new tiering levels are supposed to be less granular than you're suggesting. As I understand it, tier 1 is easiest to play and win with (and imo directly because of that also most competitive), tier 2 is (very) challenging, and tier 3 is stunty league aka don't expect to win often / at all. In that regard Skaven may not be the easiest to play, but probably a lot easier than a starting Nurgle roster.

Because of all the changes to the core game (mainly the passing game and the domino of related aspects) I cannot foresee what the actual correct tiers will be, but I'm skeptical about T1 Humans and Orcs and T2 Necromantic.
    I'm really wondering about OWA and I wish that they will prove to be T2, because (like Chaos Renegades) they seem too much like a min-maxy team to be allowed to be good at the game.

15. Niessuh

Niessuh New Member

Steam Username:
    Turnopia
    Country Flag:
    Now choosing a secondary skill is +40k, that is four random primary skills!

This is too expensive to do it regularly. In example, a DE lineman with dodge and guard, 70+20+40 = 130k
    For exactly the same price I could get a dwarf longbeard with six full random ST skill ups: 70+10+10+10+10+10+10 =130k
    Pick six skills randomly out of ten: arm bar, brawler, break tackle, grab, guard, juggernaut, mighty blow, Múltiple block, pile driver, stand firm.

Which player do you prefer?

16. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Actually, I prefer the Elf with Dodge and Guard *if* the 6 random skills the dwarf got are brawler (meh), break tackle (meh), juggernaut (useless if not blitzing), multiple block (not strong enough to use it), pile driver (now a foul, risk of being sent off, MA 1 after standing up) and grab (ok). Grab is the best in that list, but Guard and Stand Firm are really the skills you want for a Longbeard. Of course, I fear the randomly good skill on a player that opts for this path. These will be too good for their TV. But these should be rare. One secondary skill on an important player will be extremely annoying, particularly if this becomes the norm.

17. Shadow

Shadow Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    shadow runner
    Country Flag:
    Guard so good for low ag teams like dwarfs that at least for the first few level up I can't see guard not being chosen over a random skill. Just have to see the new meta with defensive in the mix.

18. Niessuh

Niessuh New Member

Steam Username:
    Turnopia
    Country Flag:
    Well that is the worst possible result, I would fire that unlucky longbeard ASAP. And probably choosing guards and a couple of MB is a must at start indeed. But after that...

Also brawler is an excelent skill. Rerolling both down results is awesome and will decide lockdowns.

We will surely see a debate about random skill ups use when the game came out. Statistics will decide. Do not let the tradicional ways blind you :p

Coach likes this.
  19. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    If you roll Both Down + Pow, or Both Down + Defender Down against a non-Dodger target, Brawler is totally useless. If you roll Both Down + Skull, you have 1 in 3 chances of Turnover when you use Brawler (instead of 1 in 9 with a reroll), and half the time you won’t even put target down with you (roll another Skull instead of Both Down again). I can see it is good if you roll Both Down + Push, as you’re already guaranteed a safe dice, and only hope Nuffle will help you put target down with Brawler. Both Down + Both Down is a no brainer : you reroll one dice, and 2 in 3 will be a push or better.

It’s a good skill on Big Guys who often roll 3D blocks. But it’s just meh on other players. The new Black Orcs team will certainly appreciate it, but I doubt many other players will want to spend a skill on Brawler if they already have Block. Pro is much better, IMHO. Brawler I’d thus a bit like Leap. Everyone fear a Wardancer leaping into a cage, but it’s very rare you see any other race develop a player with that skill.

20. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    It all comes down to how leagues are structured. In an eternal league with unlimited games per week, like CCL, random skills could become very strong, but with redrafting they become less problematic.