1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Bowl 2020 Rulebook Leak

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Coach, Aug 2, 2020.

1. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    Not to mention Brawler as an alternative to Block for big guys and maybe even for some players that already have Block for the safe re-rolls.

However, I expect that on one hand the bash will change less than the passing game, just because separating passing and dodging has a more direct impact on the game. On the other hand, I imagine that these changes to moving the ball may impact where on the pitch the bash happens more than how the bash happens.

I also expect that a bigger change to the bashing game will subtly come from the combination of random skills and the redrafting system.
    The random skill may temporarily keep TV low because of cycling (or people directly supported by Nuffle may dominate). It may also force having to learn to diversify your play style, which I think is unlikely to be popular: generally people tend to favor simpler strategies ;)

The redrafting system should limit high TV teams: with ~10 games starting from 1300TV, I don't imagine super-developed teams to be a regular thing. How long does it take to develop a legend level player? How many seasons will he have been redrafted by then? This will greatly reduce the effectiveness of teams like Chaos and Nurgle. It also probably means that you will likely have only a few highly developed players in a team: it's probably worth more to invest in a single level 5 player that took 4 seasons to get there, than 4 level 2 players that started last season. However, that means that you will have to keep investing in developing that player to avoid that sunk cost fallacy (did I say "avoid" there? :p) All in all, I think that the bash side will be dominated by strong starting teams that already have all the skills they need, so go Dorfs I guess :(

I also imagine that the tweaks to Claw and Piling On will make it less likely for players to be removed from the field. I hope this will lead to more games that are exciting until the end. However, I also imagine that this will increase the likelihood of ties between bashy teams and it will make agile teams relatively better at higher TV.

Coach likes this.
  2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I don't think agility teams (aside from wood elves) will do poorly, yes they have become worse at passing but the change to piling on makes them a lot more durable, fumblerooskie also helps their passing games, they'll be fine.

Coach likes this.
  3. worlok

worlok New Member

Country Flag:
    There's been some talk about how dark elves seemingly avoided the nerf hammer compared to the other elf teams, but I look at it a bit differently. Now that break tackle gives human, orc, dwarf, skaven, etc blitzers the ability to make a 2+ dodge a lot of teams can make their own discount dark elf blitzers after just one skill up. In the broad scheme of things dodging is a lot more accessible and I bet the developers thought the dark elves, as the slower bashier elves, are already more in line with most teams.

4. worlok

worlok New Member

Country Flag:
    On the topic of killing teams getting nerfed it's just occurred to me that the black orc team having cheap bribes makes me think the team is designed to take the new Pile Driver skill. No other team in their right mind would take a player with strength access and place them prone just to get a foul in.

That said it's still a terrible idea. You've got goblins why not just foul with them?

5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    You do foul with the goblins. But does piledriver not count as the foul for the turn. So by taking it on a black orc or even on a goblin you can have multiple fouls each turn.

patbou73 likes this.
  6. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    I just realized that elf/skaven players can now take Break Tackle to get easier dodging into tackle zones. Imagine an AG5, Break Tackle, Two Heads, Wrestle, Strip Ball Gutter Runner! :eek: Who needs Leap for cage-busting anyway?

Coach likes this.
  7. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I did a write up on Black Orc Team https://bbtactics.com/black-orc-teams/ I think they will be a good option for trying out random skills which would mean at some point you are going to end up with Pile Driver. For most players that would be a bit wasted but cheap bribes means it's not so bad on a Black Orc.

dissatisfiedcow likes this.
  8. BallztotheWalla

BallztotheWalla Active Member

Country Flag:
    Because bt+ag+Two heads is 120 tv and 3 lvl’s where leap is 20 tv and 1 lvl??

patbou73 likes this.
  9. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    Fair.
    Note that Leaping with AG4 into a cage requires a 5+ [Edit: 4+] now (iirc), while my +100TV, +2lvl golem does it on a 2+ with re-roll ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  10. Alistair Hutton

Alistair Hutton Member

Country Flag:
    Grab is a massively under rated skill.

Being able to start with 6 Grab is a huge thing that I don't think people have thought through thebimplications when dismissing them as "bad Lizard men"

In a game about positioning Grab is a skill all about positioning.

It is amazing that given how often Sidestep is recommended as a skill up that Grab isn't equally as popular.

11. BallztotheWalla

BallztotheWalla Active Member

Country Flag:
    Because every other st skill is better for most players with st access except thick skull and pile driver.

it’s great when everybody have it for more or less free but to actually take it over mb or guard never. So will always be like 5 or 6 choice

Just to be clear I think black orcs are a fine team and I’m gonna play them and I’m gonna win with them.. a lot.

12. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Leaping into a standard cage for a AG4 elf is now a 4+.
    Break Tackle into a standard cage for an AG4 elf is now 4+ but you can use dodge skill and if you don't need the +1 you can save it for dodging out.

It just costs 40K instead of 20K. So not an awful idea but a bit pricy.

However a skaven blitzer could take it instead of 2 heads. Costs 20K instead of 40K but can only be used once a turn.

13. Alistair Hutton

Alistair Hutton Member

Country Flag:
    Exactly, because people don't play with Grab (as other St skills are 'better') they haven't thought of what having 6 of it could do.

I love Grab on my Humans (I give it to only a single Blitzer) . Allows me to setup 1 turn touch downs easily, allows me to hunt down elven side stepping annoyances (Tackle-Grab is an Elf killer) and can completely upend a blocking battle by moving a Guard piece out of position.

I think the Black Orcs are going to be able to do some crazy nonsense, like setup a conveyor belt to feed opposition players from the centre to the side lines

14. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I don't think that mass grab on that team will have such a huge impact. It will help for fouling and positioning in general for sure, but you can only give frenzy to the goblins or the Troll, so it's unlikely to let you surf players from the middle of the pitch.

15. Alistair Hutton

Alistair Hutton Member

Country Flag:
    I agree that the con veyour belts will probably not happen (as you would need an unbroken line of Blorcs to ge a piece to the side line) what does happen is lots of interesting but now routine ways for the Blorcs to setup chain pushes to pop the ball carrier out of a cage.

That was one of the features of my Grab Blitzer. Having 6 Grabers means a cage is a much less safe place.

16. Supa

Supa Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    Didn't even realize black orcs cannot gain frenzy, that's a little meh for them later on. While grab can help setup some fouls etc. Eventual lack lof frenzy limits their mobility and killing power.

17. Niessuh

Niessuh New Member

Steam Username:
    Turnopia
    Country Flag:
    It seems like guard now could be used to support fouls, so pile driver becomes useful, black orks teams are awesome and Blood bowl 2020 could be named bashing edition :p

18. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Had not thought about fumblarooski on offence, dodge marked catchers and pick up the ball is definitely something interesting. Generally though the problem is not going to be offence I think. With more players on the pitch without PO and the ability to pass, handoff score like before I don't see the problem.

The elven union tactic of getting a SS, DT player next to the ball carrier looks better with the leap nerfs. Plus with +AV being so cheap now some extra protection for a player that will take a pounding while the do it is definitely an option. I know AV is normally a bad choice, but Elven union blitzers is my exception to that rule.

How the leagues shake out is going to be a really interesting. I suspect that will help elves as well as you can always start the season with 11 players, something I could not manage at all previously in the OCC as I managed to flame out with pro elves and with woodies. Having 2-3 really experienced players and the rest rookies should be possible with 1300 redraft, and that is going to suit elves for sure. Plus the niggles potentially healing at the end of the season. Stats healing is not so reliable though, would be good if you could roll for recovery before having to stump up the cash. It is a big risk on the 3+ with apo roll.

dissatisfiedcow likes this.
  19. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    Brawler is the new pro for killers...

20. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Well the new Pro skill is also the new Pro for killers because it’s 3+ now! :p