1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Bowl Dice Smilies?

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Greyskull, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Member

Country Flag:
    Whilst preparing for my match report I've been uploading pics of the dice sides used in the game so that I can use them instead of manually typing 'both down' or 'pushback' in my posts. I was simply going to link them all ...

... then I realised it would be much easier if there was a way to actually add the dice images to our smilies list here. Is that possible?

Here's my copies of them that I just uploaded (admittedly pretty basic), followed by the tags we could use when we wanted to post them (just my own, could be anything really):

[​IMG] - : pow
    [​IMG] - : powdodge or : pd (or even :!)
    [​IMG] - : bothdown or : bd
    [​IMG] - : skull
    [​IMG] - : pushback or : pb

... so instead of writing something like 'skull and pushback' we could instead type :skull : pb which would result in [​IMG][​IMG].

I was thinking if we could upload them to the smilies list here they could easily be used in our match reports and other discussions. :)

2. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Ah, great idea! I think that would be really useful. How about using abbreviations of the official block results from the rulebook?

: ad for attacker down
    : bd for both down
    : pu for pushed
    : ds for defender stumbles
    : dd for defender down

3. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Since you asked so nicely:

Code:
    :pow:
    :pow!:
    :push:
    :bothdown:
    :skull:
    :pow:
    :powdodge:
    :pushback:
    :bothdown:
    :skull:

I'll add that to the how to announcement as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks Coach that's awesome. :)

Just testing out ...

"Kroxigor goes to blitz ball carrier, dodges away from lineman but fails Break Tackle roll (1), uses reroll to pass. Reaches ball carrier; surrounded by skinks the krox has a 3 die block ... and rolls :pushback::pushback::pushback:. Great."

Yep, looks great. :)

(that description actually happened in my game yesterday - oh boy is that krox is giving me headaches :rolleyes:)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks Coach, that is awesome.
    :powdodge:

6. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

Indeed, these are awesome. Thanks a lot!

7. Vusfnuv

Vusfnuv Member

Country Flag:
    I'm sorry, but what's the full phrase for "pow"? I know that it means defender down, I just can't find abbreviation of what phrase it is.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Member

Country Flag:
    'Powerful blow' maybe? I dunno, I always assumed 'pow' was merely a written word to represent the sound.

9. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I always thought the same as Greyskull, that it represents the hit, like in the old Batman tv series where they'd break up the fight scenes with words like "POW!" or "BAM!". It's called onomatopoeia if you want to get fancy!

10. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    That is my understanding of it as well, I don't recall how that term first got used for it though. One of the Blood Bowl Podcasts calls it the "open star" which sounds silly to me. POW is the most commonly used representation to my knowledge.

11. Vusfnuv

Vusfnuv Member

Country Flag:
    Ok, that makes it clear why I can't find what it means. The only meaning I found for it is something a small river, which definetely is not the case here :)
    BTW, how is it proounced? Like "cow" or like "low"?

12. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    In the old comics they started with KA-POW if there was a realy heavy blow to the vilans head. I assume that somewhere a cartoonist was running out of space and then we got POW. Say it like the cow.

when we shout and are very loud in the club :pow: changes often. One of my favorites was during operation dessert storm: Slam Saddam!

13. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    I figured it was POW! as in the comic book onomatopoeia. Which would often be accompanied with a star burst effect.
    [​IMG]

It's like cow.

14. Greyskull

Greyskull Member

Country Flag:
    It won't be 'sweet dreams' if the other dude has dodge. :powdodge: :p