1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide Blood Bowl II - Logo and Info

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Coach, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Pollution

Pollution Member

Country Flag:

How do you get around the 1 coach 1 team max setting then?

I.E. How do I make it so that I can submit 4 teams. It says only one team per coach when I tried it before?

Also, wouldn't it set it so that some of my teams would play other teams of mine? (A1 vs A3 or B2 vs B3)

2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Just do it as a normal league, not a cup or tournament. Just to get rid of all the other teams and have an easier time to get the big picture.

3. Pollution

Pollution Member

Country Flag:
    Or, better yet, have all teams available in a single player mode (campaign, exibition, story, whatever) but only have 2 teams in multiplayer. (we'll say Orcs and Humans)

• Buy team access = $5 or $10, you get to make one team of that type for free. So $10 lets you play Norse in one league (Private, Public, whatever)
    • Buy a team that you have purchased access to for $1-$3. So a second Norse team for a private league when the public one is in Auld World.
    • Buy special player models for the same kind of sale. Maybe an Orc with an axe on his hip or something as a Black Orc Blocker. $1-$3
    • Star Players could be purchased, but you'd have to deal with the consequences of them dying or getting a stat bust. Maybe $5 each? AND on top of that, it will affect your Team Value.

Working like that, I'd be okay with paying some extras here and there. Hell, if they had a painting section, where I could change the shoulderpad color to be Pink and the thong Purple for my amazons.

Heck, I'd pay a few bucks to have bunny ears on em too.

:D

4. Mordachai

Mordachai Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Mordachai
    Country Flag:
    On the whole F2P subject:
    Only getting access to a limited amount of teams will be hugely detrimental to the game and will make sure that the player base gets borked big time.

Getting limited access to things that are included in the rule book until you unlock them for in-game credits or money is another sure fire way to bork the game since it's a niche product to begin with.

Team slots in an online setting is fine, as long as we are talking reason here and not talking about 1-2 initial slots with each new slot costing 5+ dollars...

Skins/customisation details are also fine.

My opinion stays with all or nothing!

5. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual New Member

Country Flag:
    I'm not convinced F2P is the best option for this game. I think a lot of casual players might try it out then get bodyslammed by the amount of rules you need to know to play it, and quit in frustration without paying a cent.

If you have a regular retail game you're guaranteed a lot of Blood Bowl players will put money up front no question.

And I'm not saying Blood Bowl is bad for having a lot of rules. It just may not be the best for attracting casual gamers.

I think in one of the worst things they could do though would be to dumb the game down to attract more casual gamers. But I hope they already learned that lesson with the Blitz mode.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. SurgeonUFO

SurgeonUFO Member

Country Flag:
    I agree F2P is not the answer. That said, the way it seems to work now with a base game then the ability to purchase, essentially, more teams (lookin' at you, chaos edition) seems okay to me. In terms of new features I'd like to see, further team customization would be fantastic but really I'd mostly like to see the UI cleaned up both in and out of game. What would be perfect, in my opinion, is if after you right click a second time to take an action, a box pops up telling you what dice rolls you will be attempting. For example, "this action will require a 3+, 2+, 2+, 4+ and 3+" dialog which you could then confirm or reject. I think that would seriously help with new players orientation to the game, as well as limiting or avoiding misclicks. Additionally, if a dialog box confirming you wanted to end the turn if you still had actions left on players would be great.

7. DrHealex

DrHealex Member

Cyanide Username:
    DrHealex
    Country Flag:
    Faithful pc bloodbowlians have already been conditioned that the full game = $30 so if it were F2P that should be the cost for such content maybe have the accumulated ingame currancy go to customization options unlike the other entry points into the game.

The game gives you player points, owner/team points (money), no reason it cant give you coach points.
    Im not a fan of pollutions ideas, too limiting and too costly. Lxnatifual has it right, there are only 3 things you can really limit.

- New teams (Freebies need to grind something)
    - Extra customization options for players (aesthetics)
    - More team slots ( how many does one need?!)

8. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:

Well I think it is 242 teams myself.

9. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    If they make BB2 F2P like they did with the new mechwarrior game, I can't believe I am the only person out there who will stick with the current version or just drop the game in general. F2P is the same as Pay 2 Win, it is a great system for stealing money from unknowing parents, it is not a good system for adults that want to buy a game once and have full access to that game after that single payment.

I don't think less of the people that do want F2P or have limited funds, but I do think less of the companies that are willing to shoe-horn in a pay-to-play-the-full-game where it is not a natural part of the system. BB is not a MMORPG with evolving worlds and new content constantly being developed and balanced. It is a digital translation of a very good boardgame. Being willing to buy individual teams for the PC version because you have to buy the individual teams in real life is missing the point. The teams already exist, the rules set exists, and you aren't getting physical goods. We should only be willing to buy a single purchase game with occasional DLC or upgrade packs (like the jump from BB:LE to BB:CE).

/rant

this was not a rant

10. DrHealex

DrHealex Member

Cyanide Username:
    DrHealex
    Country Flag:
    F2P games only turn into play to win games if they are designed that way.
    The fact you are willing to purchase dlc of content already in the rules is not something you should be freely acceptable of yet you have already done so.

I wont buy anything short of the full game without bugs at this point for BB2.
    F2P should be nothing more than a layaway plan for blood bowl purchaseable by money/time.

11. kvasilad

kvasilad Member

Country Flag:
    What about retail price for the game, you get everything, but access to the online server for multiplayer games has a small monthly subscription fee? Say you get three months free with the initial purchase or something, to not scare away new players.

I agree that F2P principles with stuff affecting the mechanics is a horrible idea. However, in-game purchases or "DLCs" for additional skins/decals/models and other appearance-only stuff is perfectly fine. I think a fair few people would buy that, but it doesn't really help your game (except perhaps inspiration-wise :D)

12. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    the problem with monthly subscription fees is that the bar is now set. typical MMORPgs are 15$ monthly, that is way too high for a game that doesn't have the constant development costs (blood bowl is done growing except for the rare new content, we will never see new races start showing up quarterly). Typical low cost monthly fees like XBox Live are 60 $ a year for multiplayer access, that is the cost of a new game each year and way still too high for a single purchase game. I can't believe that the cost of server bandwidth and maintenance is EQUAL to the cost of DEVELOPMENT of a new game. If that is what any company (Cyanide, EA, Blizzard, I don't care, you name it) wants me to believe after taking my upfront payment of 40-60$ they can easily expect to never see a dime of my money again on any of their games (I'm looking directly at you EA, you're the worst offender).

TLDR: I want to pay 60$ once for a finished game that includes server access while the game is still popular.

PS - Hell no I will not PAY for beta access to a F2P game. This hasn't yet been brought up but I'm seeing it pop up around the internet a bit.

13. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual New Member

Country Flag:
    A subscription model is doomed to fail for small non-MMO type games like Blood Bowl. There's so many multiplayer titles out there where you can either play completely free or for retail price.

14. Web Cole

Web Cole Member

Country Flag:
    They would have to be literally insane to charge a subscription of any sort, they will never do such a thing.

A F2P sequel to a game that was not F2P is also going to suffer from some serious Internet-Angry-Man backlash, especially given Cyanide's (deserved) poor reputation.

Honestly I am not sure why some of you seem so eager to be gouged by a F2P update to a game that most of us already have, albeit that update will presumably have marginally more content. F2P is great for companies, not so much for consumers though.

15. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    all or nothing.

there are a limited number of teams, and there aren't (AND DON'T NEED TO BE) any more

there is no game impact that having access to new skins, bells and whistles, pitches, etc will have.

How about they produce a good game with all star players and all teams and good connectivity, and good, intuitive gameplay....THEN, when they get a GIGANTIC playerbase because they produced a hella good game, they can start putting out free patches with the occasional "hey! our art department just came out with these new dark elf skins! enjoy!"

the company wins because they have an awesome product and the players stick around (and thus get more people into the game by virtue of talking about it) because of the occasional bonus

the players win because they have a great game that they can all all access and play whatever they want, and get occasional new customization options.

16. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    For me, with several hundred hours of digital BB on all editions including dark elf, any monthly subscription or costly feature to deny access is going to have me playing chaos edition until they turn off the servers.... Then I might play against the AI... :(

17. Web Cole

Web Cole Member

Country Flag:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  18. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
  19. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    You can always records the moves without commentary then go back and add the commentary in with longer pauses in the video playback. It's pretty basic stuff any video editor could do for you.

20. JimmyHoppers

JimmyHoppers New Member

Country Flag:
    I'm hopeing they add both 3 min turn games and also a time bank feature whereby people can click their time bank with say 2 mins of reserved time with in it to use whenever they want to think particularly hard about something.
    That way people can play 2 min games and still have the ability to have some reserve time in case of difficult situations but keep the majority of the game moving along at a fast pace.
    Would also encourage more of the good players to play 2 minute games and not go into 4 minute games then moan at new or slow players for taking too long over their turns.