1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Bowl II Screenshots + News

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by Coach, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    The first version of BB1 was also released to consoles, but so few bought it that they never got the new versions out to consoles:powdodge:

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Also they never got the campaign mode working properly, and some other stuff. Like the DS version being bugged out through the wazoo.

Basically they didn't have any coders for consoles. Maybe they're thinking the new generation of consoles is easier to code/convert for.

3. nithon

nithon Member

Cyanide Username:
    nithon
    Country Flag:
    Well thats for sure. But if you are not bound by controller restrictions you might at least have the chance make a good interface ;)

Another thing is modding support. I know its the devil incarnate for Games Workshop that people would extend the game for free, but it could make the game more future proof (Ohh my gerd so bad for making moneyz better we make a shitty BB3 in another 4 year and cash in).

Then again, looking at all the GW IP releases/announcements i dont think longlivety is something they want. For example i really enjoy Mordheim Alpha but i already see alot of single-player/console/one-time-play-through bullshit on the horizon. I will keep on dreaming but deep inside me i know they dont want to give us a toolbox we can play with but a painting we should watch.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Magnificzero

Magnificzero New Member

Country Flag:
    I don't know if anyone answered your question, but the only thing worthwhile in terms of information in that video is that they added special events that will happen during the match that will affect the gameplay. The example he has given is the news helicopter that crashes on the field. So players will have to go around it, or be burned by its fire. You can also push players on the squares on fire for additional effects.

Other than that, he mentions something about a progressive learning system for new players to bloodbowl.

That sums up the important points of the videos

Oh and better graphics lol

5. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Technicly they are not bound by restricitons really... they just need to create two sets. And hopefully Cyanide will make two simmilar, but still different, set's of UI's and control options... one for each type of control system. So the console players have theirs, and the PC players have theirs. Of course, I would also include the console controls (a modified version posily though) on the pc version to, for the ones who would want to play it that way.

And yeah it is a shame that GW are so... aggressive... when it comes to people using their stuff in ways they do not like. I mean I understand they want to protect their IP's, and their company and what not... but yeah... they do go to far with it in general.

I do like though that they do make sure that they have a say in what game devs do with games based on their IP's though, to make sure that their universes maintaine some level of cohesiveness... or something (their IP's can be a bit confusing and contradictory to it's self at times after all). Granted that can stifle the creativity of the dev's. But when you decide to make a game, based on a established IP, then I do feel you have to to some extent follow the guidelines. It's not like GW is compleatly rigid (and they are a very rigid company in general with their stuff), they do after all allow some change and/or additions to their stuff... of course, as long as GW them selves are the first line where new/changed/suggested stuff gets decided on what makes it through and not.

Also... I disagre to a degree about the single-player thing. If anything I actually demand there to be singleplayer in games on computer/console! XD Because I am mainly a single-player type of a gamer really, and I would love to see more single-player games in GW's universes. I have never really been much for Multiplayer, or co-op, or other simmilar things... I basicly tend to find them extreamly boring, and they basicly give me nothing... the things that draw other people to stuff like that has no pull at all on me when it comes to computer and console games. Also, computer/console gaming is something I usually tend to do alone, it's one of my biggest things I do to "get away from people/stuff" in general, so I don't have to deal with it for X amount of time, etc.

BB though is the only GW game I feel has to have a multiplayer option available though (I have just not played much of it as of yet due to circumstances). All other GW games I don't care if there is a multiplayer option or not... as long as I get my singleplayer for them. Of course, I would still demand a singleplayer option for BB on computer/console... so I can play BB without having to relie on other peoples to get to play BB.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wnZ8tMZPyw[/ame]

Gamespot video that contains game footage. Claims a June 2015 release date.

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    So maybe around Christmas then?

8. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Seems like a lot more animations, I hope they don't slow down the game too much

9. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    and that's only for the first 8 "races."

Won't be interested until they have at least as many races as I can currently play in CE. I hate mirror matches and don't care about they graphical improvements for a board game. I just want my game...

and I HATE mirror matches.

10. Replikant

Replikant Member

Country Flag:
    Two things I found interesting in the german article:
    1) No real-time mode anymore. Apparently, they've ditched it for good.

2) Zoom-in action cameras can be disabled.

11. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RN-vqUYTyg[/ame]

12. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    Ah, good, you already posted that GDC video.

I don't like them going for icons over text for player skills...

13. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    I don't like the dice roller at all, in the camera angle shown it was really hard to read the dice, also it took me ages to figure out where the team rerolls were. Finally while I like the idea of the player info pop ups I do not think there are anywhere near as clear as they are currently, its really difficult to see what's going on.

A side comment is that whoever the f*** was using those teams does not know how to play blood bowl in those videos passing dwarfs and picking the skill on a two die block or picking fall over on a two die you choose, I hope that's not a representation of the new AI!

Still with only 7 teams and a tier 1.5 side I doubt I will be worrying too much about this in terms of league play for a fair old while, in my mind I feel once it gets up to 16 teams we hit a reasonable level of variation a enough to be playing ongoing progressive league with.

A few glaring questions are can we control the camera angles better because that one plainly sucked balls for actually playing and can we put a grid down on the pitch because I like to see the squares on the board so I can read the pitch at a glance!

crimsonsun

14. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    This looks like it's being played through a console controller - I sure hope that's not the only way to play.

15. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Looking at the trailer closely it does seem to be the Bretonnian team that most use today. The one with Linemen with Fend, Yeoman with Wrestle, and Blitzer with Block+Catch+Dauntless.

I base this on from what I saw in the video, that the Bretonnian players where/had:

Blitzer: 7338 - Seems to have 3 skills at lvl 1.
    Blocker: 6338 - Seems to have 1 skill at lvl 1.
    Lineman: 6327 - Seems to have 1 skill at lvl 1.

The players level seems to be in the top left corner of the "player cards" (most of the players seemed to have had lvl 2 or 3). So looking at the amount of squares of skills, compared to level and such, the amount of skills seems to add up to that Bretonnian team most play.

From what I could see, on the pitch during the match, there seems to be 4 Blitzers, 3 Blockers, and 4 Linemen... and in the reserve box you can see the 4th Blocker standing.

Not sure why they have renamed the Yeomans to Blockers though.

Personally I do not mind that Bretonnians are in the game, because for one Bretonnians are my favorit army in Warhammer Fantasy Battles. So I like that Bretonnians are in BB, and I will play them eventually. The only problem I have is just that I really do not like that the Yeomans have Wrestle. So when I do play the Bretonnians I will probably have to give the Yeoman Block... even if most would feel it would be a waste of a skill since they already have Wrestle.

16. Replikant

Replikant Member

Country Flag:
    There is obviously no AI at play here. In the first match, Orks vs. Brettonians, the Cyanide guy explicitly mentions that he is controlling both sides. He produces turnovers just to show that this can happen while they talk about the game.

Similarly, in the dwarves vs. skaven match the controlling player is showing some features (such as the quick glance into the KO box). The skaven never even try to touch the dwarven ball carrier on its way to the endzone. One has to assume that they wanted to show the touchdown cinematics.

Apart from that, the graphics are quite improved but the UI seems to be a dramatic step backwards from the low standards of BBowl 1 (prime example BBowl 1: the end-turn button-area extending several pixels beyond its screen representation, which is unexcusable):

- The floating block-dice are really hard to read from this camera angle.

- The UI seems inconsitent (rerolls and apos are represented by cards on an overlay while a timer-bar runs down, the block-dice are physically represented hovering above the playing field and the "follow-up"/"stay" decision are simple button-overlays. All very controller-friendly, probably, but really inconsistent.

- The player-skills are represented by pictograms (as mentioned before)

I wish they would show a proper top-down perspective once. At the moment the game seems to put much effort into hiding as much useful information as possible with pretty graphics.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Agreed that the dice are ugly, but the biggest disturbance is the ten minute turns. I get bored playing against people that take four minute turns..

Now, a ten minute chess clock per half, that'd be something. :D

18. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:

Demo/presentation build is not the release build. I think we can be confident turns are not ten minutes. Maybe an option, but even that is doubtful.

Ten minutes in demo build just makes it easier to explain things or show off certain game features. They probably should just remove time limit for demos.

19. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    I really hope they include an option for no time limit, atleast for the singleplayer portion of the game. Because I have never been a fan of the time limits in the game.

I mean I understand why it is there in the multiplayer, and I do think it is needed there (due to how some people are... trolls and what not you know). But to not include an option to have no time limit for the singleplayer seems really weired and dumb to me.

I tend to be a player who very often use all of the time limit for a turn. Especially if I am presented with multiple options, or it is unclear, as to how to "solve" a particular turn. 4 minutes is at times just not enough for me. I do of course realize that can be frustrating for an opponent, I just don't do it on purpose... it's just my nature when it comes to "problem solving" things in games, I like to take my time and make sure I make the best/optimal moves I can think of/find. Of course sometimes that goes out the window, because every now and then it does happend that I out of the blue do really spontaneous actions befor I even had a chance to think about it. XD

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  20. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    In the old game you could give yourself a timelimit of hours through a very simple database edit, but I agree that it'd be even easier if you could just remove the limit altogether.

Or allow viewing of the gameboard while paused. :p