1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Bowl II Screenshots + News

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by Coach, Oct 10, 2013.

1. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-vhwFQkRP0[/ame]

new gamplay video up.

best thing for me: Skill names aswell as icons on the player cards!

/SorroW

2. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Yes, that is good.
    (We might start to be grateful for the small things, right?)

3. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    Any idea why the human's TV jumped up +80 at the end of the video? 4 skill ups and it assumes the base of +20 until the skill choice is actually made?

4. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
  5. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Hard to say on this, it could be that they got +1 fan factor postgame for +10k TV and maybe a 70k TV MNG player came off injury? We just can't really judge it without knowing everything.

Though it would be odd to add skill up TV before seeing the roll.

6. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    That probably makes more sense. Just conjecture, but I was curious what we all thought it could be =)

7. AllyRdr

AllyRdr Member

Country Flag:
    Because for all that it purports to be a gameplay video, it's cobbled together from several different matches. If they're going to have a gameplay video, I want to witness continuous action within one match between two players, not this chop job.
    As it stands, I'm still not impressed.

8. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    "Unique to Blood Bowl 2, players will grow old and retire, perhaps making older Players a lesser investment than newer Players - however, older Players may have much more experience under their belt! Recruiting a Player from The Marketplace will give you a Player around the ages of 17 and 19, growing by a year every 8 matches. When a Player reaches 31, he will have a 40% chance to retire, lowering his perceived value, but it is important to remember that perhaps an older player with more experience is still a good short-term investment?

By the age of 32, his chance to retire increases to 60%, and by 33 he will retire at 100%, and that Player will sadly leave his Blood Bowl career behind him."

Bringing back some variation of aging. Doesn't specify if it is optional.

9. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    I have to agree here, I was glad to see this in the video. The previous video I saw did not show the skill names after all, so getting the names on top of the icons is great. :) I would have been a bit annoyed if I had to learn all the icons as well... seeing as I already know all the skills name and generally what they do, so it would feel redundant if I needed to learn all the icons on top of that to.

One thing I saw in the previous, and this, video that I also did like was the kicking the ball random direction scatter arrows. From what I can see there are 6 arrows in each direction, so I asume representing the initial 1-6 square scatter distence... which I like. Mainly because now I don't have to count every single time to find the center square on the opponents side to kick to. Even if I did manage to learn that "this square on this field is the center", I would STILL have counted towards it every single time... just in case... :rolleyes: Hopefully they will also show the correctinitial range when you have Kick.

I also do really like the upgrade in the animations... the characters move better and all that... sure the clippings are pretty bad at times from what I can see, but that is a minor thing for me, not one I really care about.

Also found it cool to see the character fumbling around with the ball after failing to pick it up. And I also like the re-roll thing that they show... where if you use a re-roll, and succed with this roll, the character rewinds a bit and then do what the new roll dictated would happend.

Of course, all this "fancy stuff" does not matter to much in the end... so now we will just have to wait and see if they managed to make the game good, and at the very least better then their previous try (which I found to be atleast acceptable).

10. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah I saw this... and I am surprisingly not to upset about this. I remember that when I first encountered the old ageing rules I despised it... still do (especially again now after having refreshed my memory about how it worked).

But this... this I am actually ok with... IF this is the only way that aging in the game works... that at a certain age you might lose the player due to it. Do not want all that stuff with your character losing stats and what not.

And when I did a little bit of math I also became more ok with what BB2's aging seems to be.

If we say that the youngesta player you will get is at the age of 17, and we say that you did not lose the player neither at 31 or 32, but reaches the age of 33. That means that your character get's 16 years worth of matches. So since 8 matches = 1 year, then 16 years means that you will get 128 matches out of that character. Which is a lot of matches really.

And even if we use the numbers of 19 when you get the character, and at 31 you failed the roll and the character retires... that still means 96 games, which again is a lot.

Most characters will more likaly have been killed, or injured enough to be kicked well befor that comes I think. Also, I do think that most of the characters I have had that reached max level did so long befor I had played 100 matches... heck maybe even befor 50 matches depending on what type of possition it was.

Also... this does make some sence for buying and selling players on that mid season market thing. Because you might feel you want to sell a player once they start reaching something like 25-30'ish, to start working on the replacement early or something. And someone might buy such a player because they are highly skilled, and feel that if they get out... I don't know... 2-3 years worth of matches out of such a player is worth the cost they had to pay.

I personally would probably not sell such a player though, but some might. I don't think I would buy such a player either, because that whole aspect of leveling up a player from 0-Max is part of the fun for me with BB... but again, others might buy such a player.

Who knows... it might work... I don't know.

Of course... if I had a choice in the matter I would want to be able to turn of ageing, since I don't like to lose players, and rather keep them for as long as they are usefull to me.

11. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I see Barik Farblast or at least a dwarf holding a cannon. I hope that this means that we will get all starplayers - I hope:p

12. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    Country Flag:
    I saw that the Marketplace will only be available within each league. So, we won't have to be afraid not being able to turn it off...

13. Xamnen

Xamnen Member

Cyanide Username:
    Xamnen
    Country Flag:
    The aging rules makes sense to me in relation to the market system, that way teams can't go passing around stat freaks like a 6 strength Black orc forever. And I can see some merit to the market place system too in competitive leagues as a way to cover loses. If a level 6 player dies and the apo doesn't save him in a highly competitive league you could buy a replacement who may not be as good but could at least function in the same role as the player you lost.

The market seems to me to favor bashy teams, as they would be the ones who suffer the most from losing a highly skilled player to a freak injury roll, as well as they are the teams with the money to use it. However, the aging system favors agile teams, who will generally not have to worry about players living that long anyways, and they are better suited to quickly skill up new players. So hopefully everything will balance out.

Oh, and the market also seems to give stunties (especially flings and goblins) an edge they otherwise didn't have, cause they could some of that money left over from their cheap players to buy a skilled player.

14. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    The marketplace seems to be great from a buyer's perspective, but I'm trying to figure out who is going to be selling players worth buying. Maybe selling injured/near retirement players to teams who need to fill a spot temporarily? Or min/max coaches selling players who are no longer worth their TV?

15. Xamnen

Xamnen Member

Cyanide Username:
    Xamnen
    Country Flag:
    Personally I'd use it to cut TV. Might as well make some money from a player that I'm just gonna fire. Although I'll squeeze ever game I can out of my skilled players. Also, if they really do add in more star players it may be more useful to have low TV to use them. Plus if some one buys you'd have money to replace the player when you need to.

16. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I could see it in a very serious long term Dynasty type league where a team got shredded from some bad injury luck. Someone might not want to have 1 high TV middle aged player on a team with a bunch of rookies that won't contend for a couple of seasons.

That's a pretty small niche though.

17. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    I don't know if that is actually how it will work... I mean it does seem to say that in the text about it... that if you sell a character (no matter it's age), it will become a 17-19 year old character for the team that bought it.

If that is the case, then I don't think I like that really... partly because it makes no sence... that a 29 year old character suddenly became 18 again. But also because then that could potentually be exploited.

Also... if it would be possible to keep passing around a freak character, like your suggested ST 6 Black Orc, then I personally would probably not sell it. I might buy it (but probably if price was way to high), but once it was close to being retired again I would not put it up for sale. I mean sure, you could probably get a lot of gold from selling such a character... but it would mean that I might potentually have to go up against the team who bought that character from me... which I would not want to do really. I would probably not even do it if it did not work this way (the turning back of age thing I mean, but rather if it was 28 when sold it would be 28 too for the one who bought it).

Actually, when I read that thing from the marketplace information on the homepage, and then later wrote my previous post about the age thing, yesterday... I was (and I still am to a degree) asuming that it's just a mistake by the ones who wrote the text... that a market bought character would become a 17-19 year old character. And instead I asumed that what they really where refering to was that when you buy a new, fresh, lvl 1, character to your team, they start at an age of 17-19. This is atleast what I hope it is, because age switching characters due to being sold on the "Marketplace" is a bit ridiculous.

18. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    I just noticed something in the last video that has been given out... something that might contradict what I saw befor, and what I and another person wrote.

It's about the player cards... the one showing your stats and skills etc. From what we saw in the last one they now also show the names of the skills on the cards. But... I am not compleatly sure if they actually will in the game, atleast not where we want it.

I was watching the video again today (for reasons I have already forgoten due to getting to into it when I notices the... discrepancies... :rolleyes: ). But during it I suddenly noticed that the cards we are shown, with the skill names on them, do not seem to be actually part of the match or something. They more seems to be some sort of... character-type/positionals display kind of a thing.

For example, the Blitzer that Blitzes an Orc shortly after the 35 second mark... The card shown during that "zoom in on character" thing, is showing that it is a Blitzer, the Nr of the player, the stats, and which skill it has and the name of the skill... but none of the "personality" of the character, so name and SPP's. But if you pause the video just befor, or just after this "zoom in" thing, then the card you can see (to the left), looks slightly different. On top of the other things that the other card show, it also shows the particular character that it is, with it's name and also it's level and SPP's... but what it does not show you is the names of the skills, only their icons.

So it seems to me like the "zoom in on character thing" might not actually be part of the game when you play a match... but maybe only a "showing off the 4 positionals in the Human team" for the trailer it's self. Or it might be for outside of matcher or something, maybe it comes from a "buy player" menu or something. Or this display thing might not even be part of the game at all... I am not sure. But if this is the case, then we will not be having the skills names on the players cards in the match, and might have to go into some other menu or something during the match to see them... or maybe there is an option to show the names instead... I don't know.

One other reason I think the zoom in thing might not be connected to the match either, is because I did check the numbers for the characters taking an action on the field, which where given a zoom in on them. All numbers (that I could see) matched, except for one... the catcher... in the zoom in his number is 09, but on the field his number is 07.

Due to this I also checked for other indicators. The turn counter does not match up. The Thrower get's, and passes, the ball in the 4th turn... but your not actually shown the catcher catching the ball in the match (since it fades over to the zoom in as it is happening), and it's turn 6 when the catcher runs to score the TD. Also the Catchers position on the fields in turn 4 is not the same as in turn 6, he is one square closer to the goal, and so is the first orc just to the left of him. Not that this really has anything to do with the zoom in display things... I just started to notice all these small things with the video when I got a scent of that something was amiss. XD

Aaaanyway... this post is already to long, and I could go into more things still about this... and it's not like my posts tend to be short anyway... but I will stop here. XD

Edit: Oh yeah... sorry... one thing I forgot to say... none of what was seen in that last video seemed to have been played with mouse and keyboard... it all seemed to have been played with a controller. It might still have been on a pc, but if so they did not use a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  19. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Wow, BB2 looks way less playable than BB1. Why are there no gridlines? Why isn't the default camera overhead so you see the whole pitch at once?

20. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    Country Flag:
    Both is non-default in BB1 as well. Still, little improvement and some strong limitation (races)... I don't see a real reason to change yet. Except when the leagues do.