1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Bowl II Screenshots + News

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by Coach, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Hmm... Here is a thought... Cyanide has to run everything they do with the game through with Games Workshop befor they are allowed to include it in their game... no?

And if this is the case that they have to run everything through GW first, which I think it might be (since GW tends to be a bit... tenatious... and have a finger in every pie kind of a thing... when it comes to their IP's, and what people are allowed and not allowed to do with them), then would that technically not mean that this aging rule would actually not be a "houserule"... but an actual official rule? Due to that Cyanide probably had to run it through GW first. Thoughts?

Edit: Also... who knows... by the time BB2 is released GW might actually release an updated version of the Competition Rules where Aging might have been added. And if that is the case, that this rule hypothetically could become an official rule... how would all the people who are against this addition actually react to it?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Given they're categorically not rules compliant elsewhere (jump up and bombs, running through the endzone, pretty much anything to do with vamps etc) I'd be surprised if GW and Cyanide go into that much detail about it.

I don't especially object to the retirement rule to be honest, it's a generous number of games for any player. I dislike ageing generally, it was one of the worst things about the old versions of BB I played as a kid, but given the predominance of clawed bastard teams (who seem to be able to kill everything but each other) it's a reasonable stab at balancing things up a bit for perpetual leagues. It's just a pity it applies to all teams equally, and apparently already tough teams like vamps and khemri especially,

3. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Seems a bit unfair, judging by OFL dode is certainly willing to implement house rules after discussion, and it should be expected that the basic version of the rules is the same as CRP

4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Dode's quote about the "Cyanide aging rules" in OCC was a curt "not in the CRP".

Admittedly he'd certainly "allow" them to put it in, just like he's "allowed" them to have their own inducements (Potions etc.) but the image he presents is one of blanket denial, only with a different public reasoning.

But yes, it might be that neither he nor Smurf are truly against the "Cyanide aging" - I'll admit here and now that I don't know what they really think or mean. (Nor do I know anything about Cyanide ;))

5. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    Just to try to explain why someone might like this...

BB was not designed for persistent play at all, and player survival rate is high enough, that TV values of long-living teams shift to around 2000+, which means only a few races are truly viable if you want to be competitive about it.

Some people (like me!) would like a league format where even advanced teams settled to somewhere short of that mark. Where a legendary player was special, not 'oh, yet another', or where 2500 Chaos/Nurgle persisted from one season to the next.

Not saying this format of aging is the solution. Hell, this basically won't come into play, since it's a rare player that persists all through 100+ matches.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    G20 likes this.
  6. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Hopefully it is optional but I can see it as a useful tweak in a long term league. We wont know if it works till it has been in operation for a while but what would probably happen is we get a slightly different set of 5/6 top tier teams. Knowing our luck it will help the Choas Dwarves.

Even if it isn't optional hopefully with their modular design it can be made optional later but lets not hold our breath. Or maybe GW has decided to finally put some effort into BB (can't keep a straight face typing this).

Anyway it's another reason to hold off buying it on release. Not that it will stop me.

7. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Introducing you rules is a bit of a crapshoot in that nobody knows what they will do to the balance of the game. That is why i feel that any deviations from CRP should be optional.

Some people like changes here some there but if we start on that were will we end up? Keeping the TT and Cyanide rules in line is something worth aiming for. Options above and beyond that are great but up the the leagues commish.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    The best thing would be if the number of games it takes to age would be possible to change.

That way people could set it to ∞ or 2 as they see fit. For their leagues.

That also means that the aging rules are not optional. But how they work in game is.

/SorroW

9. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    There's some suggestions over on the OCC forum that perhaps this explanation has a language translation issue. If you imagine they meant to say that IF you have the marketplace rule turned on for your league then you MUST have the aging rule then this makes a bit more sense to me.

Obviously I don't know if this is the case, but its something to consider.

10. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Well I play in 4 different leagues and have been playing since BB1 and I have never played 100 games with the same team.

11. sann0638

sann0638 Member

Cyanide Username:
    sann0638
    Country Flag:
    Interesting - these are viewpoints that are not being expressed elsewhere :)

12. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    My on Going league Khemri Sides have 78 & 121 games played respectively and have no intentions of retiring anytime soon.

13. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Sooo... Skaven and Vampires would age at the same rate, and have to retire after the same number of games?

I'm just spitballing here, but it seems like if the real issue is with Chaos/Nurgle teams sticking around forever, then maybe the solution would be to introduce some sort of degradation mechanic to those teams in particular. Bad mutations?

G20 likes this.
  14. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I am not saying that it should be mandatory.
    Only that if it were optional and customizable then I could see some leagues choosing to use it.

15. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    There could be multiple reasons for why various teams might "age out".

For the undead teams I imagin things like the magic keeping an undead alive might eventually just fade out, or the body of the undead is so bashed up that it would be useless to keeping the magic going for them.

For Chaos stuff... eventually the Chaos gods will call in their people to do more importent stuff then play Blood Bowl... and who knows where they are sent to fight or something, other dimentions and what not.

For Elves, who live a really long time... in my mind here it might come down to duty and things like that. Elves in Warhammer are usually depicted as a race that is dying out. And as such I am asuming that eventually they have to go back home and do what is best for their race, which is most likally not Blood Bowl.

Etc.

16. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Steam now showing June release date

17. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Is the plan for the BC and other leagues to immediately drop Chaos Edition like a hot potato and switch over to BBII? Will it have enough over CE to make it worth that switch?

18. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    In the end that will be down to the commish and the community to decide i guess.

But unless the BB1 servers are switched off, i don't see us moving this year.

19. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I think that some time to evaluate on BBII will be needed.

On a personal note, then I would like more races to choose from. I would prefer at least 16 before making the move, but that all depends on the rate of DLC from Cyanide. If they only release 4 races at a time, then wait for the big steam sale:p

20. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    I know the OCC isn't likely to move until more races are available, 8 is far too restrictive. I wouldn't expect them to move soon, probably the same with bbtactics leagues.