1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Bowl II Screenshots + News

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by Coach, Oct 10, 2013.

1. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Yes of cause. I was only responding to changes that might smell of NTBB.

I don't believe that for one moment.

And even if that was the case it would only mean that they are even more random.

2. Mr Suplex

Mr Suplex Member

Country Flag:
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have a number of questions about BB2 and was hoping anyone in the beta playing could shed some light on some of these questions.

1) Is their historic data for players? In BB1 there was some nice, detailed data about players and teams in a league and it was fun to look at this information and talk about it. I've heard disturbing reports that this data is not in BB2, which is a huge misstep by the developers if it is true.

1a) If the data does exist, does the game track it properly? In BB1 I was forced to use BB Manager to do many things required to properly manage my league. It was a nice program, but cumbersome to use and it would be nice if at least some of the features it had are included in BB2

2) Disconnects. Is there any way to reconnect to a player who disconnects? This was a constant issue for our private league and it would be nice if an ability to salvage games is present. I have heard that games are all server side now, so I have to think the developers are able to do this.

3) League management. How robust are the options for creating a league in terms of game types, league structure, etc? One relatively simple thing that we could not do in BB1 was an American style football setup with a regular season followed by a knockout playoff tournament for the top teams in the league. Is this possible? Is is possible to seed playoff teams, create divisions, etc to go along with this?

4) User Interface. I have heard that the game's interface is improved, but are there any glaring issues currently in the game? I know about the lack of text for player skills, but wondering if anything else exists.

5) Do players really not change in appearance as they level up? I'm shocked that I have heard reports of this since the developers have spent so much time trying to make the game look better.

6) I have heard that the developers have altered certain player costs, stats, etc. Is there any way to undo these changes and play with classic BB rules?

Thanks for the help and info, and apologies if this is not the right place to post this.

3. mamutas

mamutas Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    1. Not at the moment. No data is available.
    2. Can't say. I had not experienced it yet.
    3. Some things got changed, you can create multiple layers of competitions with rules to coming from one to another. However, it seemed much more slimmed down then promised in the very beginning. For example, you can't give more money when league starts, or allow skill purchases for players. I still need to do more digging, as I only look at it with 2 teams and need to get more to see what options are there.
    4. It is different from BB1 for sure. I am still getting used to it, there are some bugs and weirdness, so I will hold on the definition "improved" yet. They say they are still polishing it out. Many features are gone: you can show Tackle Zones or player numbers, so that is not an improvement IMHO.
    5. Not at the moment. But, the game is still "work in progress" as devs claim.
    6. They did some alterations. And there is no way to undo the changes, you have to play by their rules.

4. Mr Suplex

Mr Suplex Member

Country Flag:
    A "work in progress" means it will never happen, given this developer's track record. Basically this game seems like a step backward from BB1 other than the graphics. Thanks for the info. I'll pass.

5. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Just saw a little video of orc vs high elfs. There they did a throw team mate and a pass in the same turn:mad: I think its more and more likely that I will just wait for it to be a 5£ game

6. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    If it is this video your refering to...

Then I would not trust it at all... close to none of these videos that Focus Interactive have put out have shown proper play at all, even breaking rules here and there. And in a lot of them, when you have looked closely at the playes and what not, you can see that they have been cut together strangely. This one does seem to suggest that everything from the throwing of the Goblin, to the pass of the ball to the goblin, is all happened in the same turn... and if so that is clearly wrong. But the only thing wrong with that particular play was that extra Pass Action, everything else seems to have been correct (including the Goblin getting up after failing it's landing).

I suspect that the people who put together this video probably turn off the limitations for the passing... seeing as that is something that they would be able to do.

Also... I was watching Crendors BB twitch stream a few days ago, where he was on a teamspeak with several others. At one time I clearly heard a guy in the teamspeak say something like (and I do not remember the exact words, I just know that this was what he realized/found out): "Why can't I pass? I dont understand... Oh... I did'nt know throwing my goblin counted as a pass... if I had known I would not have thrown the goblin!"

So... yeah... this is mostly looking like Focus, and/or Cyanide, once again putting out a video with inproper, rulesbreaking, gameplay.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  7. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    This is not the first time the videos show unrealistic game play. The videos are for marketing and is done by marketing people, who may even not know all the rules. So, take the marketing with a grain of salt.
    Anyway, the game even has a stamp "work in progress", so I expect there will be some fixes to it. I can only hope that Cyanide will pay more attention to it than to BB1 and fix bugs more often, as well as implement better league management tools. But knowing the history, the chances are slim... I am so pessimist! :D

Cheers!

8. PaloLV

PaloLV Member

Cyanide Username:
    PaloLV
    Country Flag:
  9. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Now see... that could have been funny... but unfortunatly it falls flat... because logic.

Why is the Orc Blitzer complaining that he can not afford it? The ork Blitzer is the one getting 10K more in salary! So HE should be thanking Cyanide, not complain to them that he is getting 10K more gold.

The one who should complain is the Team Manager, not the Orc Blitzer!

Logic, people... use it! ;)

10. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
  11. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    A little note on Cyans:

So it looks like there will be more customization options than are currently in game.

12. PaloLV

PaloLV Member

Cyanide Username:
    PaloLV
    Country Flag:
    Once upon a time there was a zoo with an unhappy gorilla. After looking into the problem the zoo's vet determined the female gorilla needed to get laid to be happy. The zoo had no male gorilla unfortunately so the vet decided to ask the zoo's idiot cage cleaner if he'd be willing to have sex with the gorilla for $500. The cage cleaner said yes but he'd need a couple weeks to come up with the money.

Orc Blitzers are like the zoo cage cleaner and they can't afford a 10k increase in their salary.

13. Jbecks

Jbecks Member

Cyanide Username:
    jbecks
    Country Flag:
    Is 90k not their true value anyway, and 80k is infact a bit cheap?

14. PaloLV

PaloLV Member

Cyanide Username:
    PaloLV
    Country Flag:
    Teams are balanced by roster not individual players and since Orcs were already at the lower end of average teams making their roster cost 40k more is pretty indefensible.

15. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    So i posted over in the RPS forums on this. My first game in BB2 vs. a real person opponent on the beta, just copy pasted from my post there:

Played my first MM game against a real opponent in BB2. My fresh TV1000 humans vs. 1170 dwarves....whee.

Turn 5, dead blitzer, apo BH!
    Turn 6, i run in a defensive TD...Kickoff, rock = dead ogre, injured dwarf blocker (dwarf Apo'd to BH)
    Turn 8, revenge foul on a guard dwarf blocker - DEAD!
    Turn 16, extremely unlikely 0 RR TD following 3x1d blocks, a dodge, pickup, long pass, catch...and probably a bunch of GFIs in there.

2-0 win.

Pros:
    looks sleek
    more star players
    cool cinematics
    commentary from Jim & bob is actually appropriate (seem to be more criteria for individual comments, so they seem more relevant)
    menus and interactions seem designed to give more information than in BB1
    Selections like rerolls, apothecary, wizard are all nice big cards that are easily selectable, and you get 15s to make a decision on things that is NOT included in turn limits.

Cons (hoo boy...):
    Slow interface - takes a long time to click places, select options, and execute.
    Repetitive cinematics...including running....yes, basic movement has a cinematic (i plan to turn that off if i can....i hope i can!)
    Certain important bits of info that were present in BB1 are missing in BB2 - Fame is completely invisible as far as i can tell, winnings only shows the amount, not the roll (so if you win and get 40k, you don't know if you had 2 fame and rolled a 1, or 0 fame and rolled a 3)
    Roll log holds less total information than before (though it does show all of the last rolls...like a pickup, pass, catch all at once, or all 6 KO'd players)
    interface is slow - i know this is a repeat, but it was difficult to get all my moves in within the 2m time limit, and the game took AGES. like around 75-80m for the one game...between simple, basic teams.

I plan on fiddling with the graphics and interface to see if i can sleek/speed up the game, and i'm hopeful...these starting races though...painful. i can't wait til the release and i can play woodies. with only human, dwarf, orc, and skaven in the beta, its a massive bias towards Dworc.

(end quote)
    I'm worried about a lot of missing functionality that BB1 had. Also to clarify another point i made in cons...slow interface really means SLOW...like a 1 second lag time between clicking a player and actually being able to move him, then slight lag after clicking his block before he does it, then slow scrolling to be able to actually SEE the block dice i rolled behind some random text on the screen, then a delay before the follow-up/stay option appears. I don't have a great CPU for running this, but it is passable, and i'm running on low graphics, and this is a big worry of mine.

I'm actually looking forward to the campaign mode, and am going to give it a try (i already bought it, so...).

I hope to see you all again in BB2! It's been too long!

16. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    I played 3 games so far and I agree with Limdood on pretty much all the points, especially the interface - it is very slow, and unresponsive. 2 minutes per turn is not enough, because you are spending time clicking, then waiting, then clicking, then waiting before you get what you need. Also being lucky that it won't bug out. In one game, I played orc vs dwarves and bought a Star Player Troll. I tried to move him, but UI got stuck and I couldn't reselect any other player or do anything else at all. Then the game, decided to rearrange the player when my time was over and put my Star Player on the sideline together with my only leveled up Blocker. Where is the logic in that?

I also miss lots of info I got used in BB1, especially in the team/league management area.

I can only hope that Cyanide will fix it and will keep fixing it until all (most of us, at least) are happy. Otherwise, I will think twice before buying any other their game.

Can I recommended the game? Yes, but only if you are the hard headed fan, and not if you want to "try it out".

Cheers!

17. PaloLV

PaloLV Member

Cyanide Username:
    PaloLV
    Country Flag:
    Latest fun bug I hear about is Piling On being usable during fouling actions. Dwarf DR's are going to be soooo annoying when people start taking PO with their first skill if they don't fix that fast.

18. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Well, judging from these comments I'm not expecting it to be good any time soon but I've bought it anyway - not really for its sake, more as a thank you for Legendary and Chaos Edition (both of which I got discounted). The cost to fun ratio on them both has been ridiculous despite the problems they have: I'm sure I wouldn't have got back into BB without them, and there's not many games that have kept me entertained for four years running. Here's hoping they get BB2 working smoothly in the next year or so :D

19. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    I played the first two games in the campaign mode. So far its pretty boring, but it might be good for a new player, though it likely will teach some bad habits. HOpefully it's just taking things along slowly.

The first match all you have to do is score, and anyone you hit falls down (no dice). The second match you get dice but no turnovers (no rerolls either). I'm expecting the game rules to be presented as you go, but I'm not sure its interesting enough for current players to get that far...

20. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    same thing, 2 campaign mode games in and i'm pissed. I wanted a campaign mode, not a fucking tutorial.

EDIT to add: 3 games in, still no SPP. I've played the same team 3 games running with no real difference. Boring, but i'm persisting in the hopes that it'll pick up. Also, after 3 games, i finally get some rerolls, but it says campaign is 20% done....so i only have 12 games or so left? i don't see it really picking up at all...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015