1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brain Hunter - OCC

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Doover, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    This thread is about my new and first OCC-Team "Brain Hunter".
    I´m not going to write a Matchreport about every Match I play because I´m not really good at it, there are much better and more interresting Teams around allready and I don´t have the time to do that. So there will be only short results and a lot of questions for our experiance coaches. I´m a bit nervous about Necromantic because I only played a handfull of games with them (maybe five) and so I´m really not a pro. But I think/hope their style is fitting me and so I have some hope to get a some decend results.

I start my Team with a quite normal set up:
    1 Werewolf
    1 Ghoul
    2 Fleshgolems
    2 Whights
    5 Zombs

3 Re-Rolls.

I´ll spam my own post with a "current" Team which I´ll update after every game.

2. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    I´m playing in ths Ssc2A league (Div 3). A training league to join the big guys.

Starting Matchday 8 my Team looks like this:

#1 Werewolf 43SSP Furry Freddy (Mighty Blow, Block, Dodge)
    #2 Zombie 2 SSP
    #3 Whight 7 SSP (Guard)
    #4 Whight 6 SSP (ST+1)
    #5 Fleshgolem 13 SSP (Block)
    #6 Fleshgolem 0 SSP
    #7 Ghoul 11 SSP (Guard) [AG-1] MNG
    #8 Zombie 0 SSP
    #9 Zombie "#1Punchback" 2 SSP
    #10 Zombie 7 SSP (Kick)
    #11 Zombie 2 SSP
    #12 Werewolf 9 SSP Ulf the Werewulf (AG+1)

#14 Zombie 2 SSP
    #15 Zombie 0 SSP

4 Re-Rolls; 6 FF; 60k Cash
    TV: 1.5200.000

Rang 2 from 8 right now.
    My League Matches are: [3-3-1]

Game /Coach/Race/Teamname/Result (Cas.)
    1. / ISM / Nurgle / Beefhearts Revenge / 1-1 (1-7)
    2. / Juriel / High Elf / Superior / 1-1 (3-3)
    3. / XanderV / Norse / Drunken Demolition Crew / 2-1 (3-2)
    4. / McHardoc / Dwarf / Stahlwerk 21 / 2-1 (2-1)
    5. / reQQy / Nurgle / Fumble of Filth / 2-1 (4-2)
    6. / Holy Terror / Necro / Hide your Bones / 1-1 (4-2)
    7. / Haree / Skaven / Cheeseburg Squeelers / 0-4 (3-5)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    ok now the spamming starts... :D

Some of the Coaches seem to be in OCC for quite some time just starting with a new team. Maybe someone has played them before and can give me a hint or two.

My first match is against Nurgle and I allways have problems with my offence against that team. I can´t really pass the ball and my ballcarrier isn´t fast enough to outrun his Pesttigors. Even a quick Handoff is very hard sometimes.

Thinking about feeding the Warrior and his Beast with my Zombies and try to outnumber his Pestigors.

The good thing is that nurgle has a weak offence so if I´m not outnumbered I think I have chances to stop his offence.

4. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    You are right. A lot of those coaches are old-timer OCC players.

Your 1st match is against Reqqy and I played him last season. He currently has an Orc team in div 5, but is rerolling to Nurgle as there are too many Orcs and he doesn't want to be another sheep in the herd (he only just realised this now?).

He's a pretty good player and he beat my Necro 1-0 last season in a really close match. Nurgle are turnover machines when new (no block), so hopefully he will eat rerolls early and then suffer the consequences. I'm not sure what starting build he has, but if i were you, i would choose to kick.

During the game, look to 2-dice block his Rotters and Pestigors with your Wights. You could do this with the Wolf, but without block its a bit risky. Perhaps if you have plenty of rerolls spare after a few turns then look to block/blitz with the Wolf. Also, be on the lookout for crowd surfs. Anyone 2 tiles from the sideline is a potential victim.

Look to tie up his Beast with a Zombie and perhaps the Chaos Warriors too. But only move the Zombies into their tackle zone if they would pose you a threat elsewhere . Sometimes its best to just leave them unmarked, as with their slow movement they often cant go anywhere much anyway (best not to give away free blocks if you can help it). It really just depends on positioning and things. If he has already used all his rerolls, i would be more inclined to mark up his players.

Other than that, look to handle the ball with the Ghoul and dont pass/hand-off unless necessary. Better to just have a loose cage center and then exploit any weak points to run it up the left or right, screened by a couple of your guys. Once you are near the end zone, you can feed the Wolf a TD or score with the Ghoul. Both really need their first skill, so its up to you who to score with. If its safe and you have rerolls handy i would probably hand off to the Wolf to score.

5. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    I´m the other Necro Team but I still have to play against a Nurgle Team. So your advice will still help me. I have to remember that his Warrior are "just" BoB´s in disguise.
    So MV 4 and Ag 2 makes them easier to handle then a normal CW.

6. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    About marking the beast, be careful and always think about what happen if he blitzes your marker away. Will he be able to mark various of your players with the beast? Can he reach your ball carrier? Tentacle can really be a problem if played well.

7. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    To start off with I did alot of blitzing with the Golems since it is easier to get two dice blocks. They can be used to make a hole on offense, to break a cage or plug a hole on defense and make a very good wall. Plus, with only four players capable of dodging and ball handling the wights are oftened needed elsewhere.

8. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Mark his warriors and beast with zombies and try to hurt his rotters and pestigors. You have far more mobility on the field with ma7 dodge and ma8 players. with some average dice you should be able to really hurt him on the break.

When you kick you need to send your fast players tear arsing into his backfield to disrupt him before he can start a cage. If you miss this opportunity then simply line up in columns infront of him. you dont need to take the ball away, just keep him out and he is very slow. Stay disciplined about keeping infront of him, even if a block or foul looks tempting.

9. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    The Game is set for tomorrow evening.

Thanks again for all the hints you gave me and I´m looking forward into the clash of lost bodyparts... ;)

10. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    In theory you have a much faster team than the Nurglings. Sadly a Necro starting roster is terrible and only has two players capable of such speeds, both of whom are sorely needed for ball carrying duties on attack. Risking them by leaving their support behind is a recipe for gangfouls and (re)death and no real likelihood of disrupting much.

This leaves a column defence, which doesn't work either since the bulk of your team is neither agile enough or fast enough to repostion.

Until your Necro team gets some skills you will find yourself cobbling together whatever defence or attack you can with what you have available and trusting to Nuffle.

There are ways in which you can encourage Nuffle to come to your aid. Hit the Rotters where possible, they break easily. Smack the Pestigors around and he'll struggle for decent ball handlers. Foul both these player types. Don't let your decent players get isolated. You don't have to actively mark the Warriors to keep them out of the game. They are slow of thought and deed. A Zombie in the way rather than in their face will stop them getting to somewhere useful and may give you some extra mobility. You do need to mark the Beast out or it will slowly pin down most of your team.

Sacrifice kittens.

Good luck!

Edit:

What coachman says about hitting them on the break is true. If you can turn him over (a Nurgle team doesn't necessarily need help to do this!) and grab the ball then you can scamper off with it. Likewise you can score in two turns on attack, he can't.

11. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    He uses the 1Beast, 3 Warrior, 1 Pestigor and 6 Rotter with 3 Re-Rolls set up.

Just one Pestigor so if I can remove him he has to do all the ballhandling with his Rotters. Also his fastes player would have MV 5. He even is slower then a dwarf team... but he´ll keep him save as much as possible.

Hoped he only uses 2 Re-Rolls but without skills there is still a good chance that he´ll out of RR´s after 4-6 turns. I simply hope my RR´s will hold longer then his. With 2 Block and 1 Dodge my Skilllist isn´t much better.

We´ll see...

12. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    My first game is done and it was a... very funny... 1-1.

The strategie worked quite well (thanks again for all the hints). His Beast was tied to a zombie for 13 Turns until I got out of zombies. His Warriors where standing around or also tied up most of the time.

I decidet to kick giving me a full defence.

His low skillnumber worked good as well so he used all his 3 Re-Rolls in the first 3 Turns. Sadly my rolls have been even more worse so he could walk in the ball in Turn 7.
    We started the second half with 9 versus 8 player for me and I was able to make a TD with a little left attack -> right attack ->left attack play to score in Turn 13.
    I could have stalled for a turn or two but risked the early TD in hope of getting a 2-1 ´cause of having more player.
    His KO rolls finaly worked and with swealtering heat dropping a rotter from him and a zombie and Fleshgolem for me. So we started both with 7 player if I remember right.
    Luckily he failed a Hand Off in Turn 16 when I had 2 player left on the field.

What did I learn from this game. DON`T DODGE!!!!
    Anything else? Don´t Sprint... try to roll no dices at all is the savest way!

If someone want to see some kind of comedy take a look at the replay from BB-Manager.
    Just a few stats: (success / tries)
    GFI: 6/10
    Dodge: 1/7 (6 of them with AG 3 in no tacklezone) [This 6 failed dodges gave me 3 Casualities]
    Rolled 46 D6 and got 2 times a 6 and 12 times a 1.

Chances on D6 -20.??
    Good that my opponent was at -6.?? so I could survive.

My personal Star this game? My Ghoul who rolled his first dice in Turn 4 a 3+ Dodge with the result of Miss Next Gaming him.

Well... enough moaning... got my first match, my first point some XP and only need to replace a zombie (ST-1). So everything is allright again.. :D

13. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    Those are some terrible dice, but in my experience Ghouls will always die in a sad and pathetic manner.

14. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    A good first result. BB is all about making draws from terrible dice and wins from average dice.

At some point in the season you will get great dice and make yout opponent pull his own hair out in frustration. Who's next?

15. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    My next opponent will be Juriel with his High Elf Squad "Superior".
    They won their first game with 3-0 but I should get enough Free Money to buy a Babe after getting my 2 Loner Zombs. Hoped for 70k to get another Player instead but that won´t happen.

16. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    We are quite fast and our game will start this evening. Hope I´ll get a lvl up after this game.
    And another point would also be nice. ;)

17. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    Second game played and this game showed that statistic isn´t anything.
    The BB-Manager says I had a bit more bad luck in D6, I had some more bad luck in 2D6 but still I was able to draw with a 1-1 again because my opponent had bad luck in the important rolls.
    He blitzed my wolf into the fans with 1db just to get a :skull: and so I could score my TD. He also just had to do a 2+ handoff in Turn 16 to get away with a 2-1 win but failed that roll.
    To make it even worse a whight was able to regenerate his final death. In the meantime my Wolf was able to rip his blitzer apart so I have a new zombie now.

I didn´t played that well so I´m quite happy about the point I got.

Well messes it up a bit after the game... instead of buying him for free I first bought a Loner Zombie. Well the Loner made a Cas and so I have 12 player. Not really bad but the second wolf has to wait a bit longer.

The MVP dropped on a Golem but he still needs a cas. (or even a quick pass in a Turn 8/16 kickoff)
    My Wolf lvled up and I was lucky enough to roll a double and I really couldn´t resist taking Mighty Blow. Need to bring him up to 16 Points now fast to get block.

My next game will be against XanderV and his Norse who hasn´t any skillup until now. His Team is 2 Ulfwerener, 2 Zerks, 1 Runner, 1 Thrower and 5 Lineman. § Re-Rolls and an Apo. Looks like he´ll get 50k inducement against me.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  18. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Another good result then. You seem to be spreading the ssp around nicely which is frustrating at first but really works in the longrun when the MVP starts dropping on different players.

19. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    Had my third game yesterday. This time my MVT (Most Valuable Thing) clearly goes to my Wolf.

Playing against Norse with 11 player I decidet to hope for my higher AV, Regen and a replacement to bring his numbers down in a brawl and so win the game.

The game started in swealtering heat and after winning the coin toss I decidet to recieve for the first hit. The game started quite well with my Wolf Ko´ing one of his Ulfwerener in the first turn and blitzing the second one out of the field in turn two after he pushed a zombie in the fans himself. (The zombie was MNG´ed but regen worked.)
    After that good start I begun to get unconcentrated and together with a few bad blocking dices my player left the field in a very fast way. I was able to get a Casuality(MNG) with my 5 SSP Golem which my opponent apo´ed but didn´t wanted to take the dead result. In turn 5 there where 8 Norse against 5 of my team left. So he was able to get my Goul down and take the ball from me. The rest of the half was 3 failed PU´s for my opponent against :skull:s and :bothdown:s for me. Sadly in turn 8 he was finally able to pick up the ball and run in a last turn TD.

So the second half was looking grim. I only managed to get one player out for sure and gave him another KO but he was 0-1 in front AND started in offence now.
    Luckily Nuffle decidet to give the game a different direction. All 3 of my Ko´ed player recovered in half time and only one Wight suffered from heat. So 11 player for me thanks to the replacement. The Ulfwerener decidet to take some more free time with his one babe and 3 of his player suffered from the heat. So he only had 6 player left on the pitch.
    After a long kick I was able to bring his thrower down and get the ball in turn 11. I decidet to score in hope of outnumber him again for a winning TD. Strangely the game didn´t roll for the heat this time and also his Ulfwerener decidet to join the game again. So 11 Necros against 10 Norse.
    He decidet to start a full attack on my right wing but it seemed like I could stop him. But Nuffle changed sides again so after :skull::skull: and :skull::bothdown: both times quite at the start of my turns left my defence wide open. He decidet to sprint his catcher out of range and at that moment it was ...again... Nuffletime. So the catcher crashed down, stunned himself and dropped the ball back right into my direction.
    That way my Wolf could reach the ball and a Goul and Whight secured him. After a quick :skull: from the Norse I decidet to run the ball on my right wing which was totally empty except of a zombie and one Norse Liner. I had to choose between letting him dodge and take a blitz or attacking him myself I decidet to put the Wolf right next to his liner and block him 2db with my Zombie in hope to bring him down. But Nuffle made a joke... :bothdown::bothdown: and the ballcarrier right next to his last player who was able to reach it. I said Nuffle made a joke... but at cost of my opponent as his liner got a :skull: and was even killed in that block.
    After that I was able to run in the ball with my Wolf in Turn 16 for a 2-1 victory.

So finally my first win in OCC after a quite strange match which was running up and down several times.

My Wolf got 2 TD´s and 1 Cas which pushed him to 16 SSP´s and I could give him Block after the match. The 5 SSP Golem made a Cas and learned to block as well.
    The MVP landed on a Whight who had allready 2 SSP´s and so I gave him guard.

Quite a lot of new skills and I think the team starts to take shape now.

My next game will be against dwarfs and I´m happy about my 13 player. Seems like I allready have the highest TV in the league and I only need 20k more to get my second Wolf. Well maybe I drop a Zombie when I get my second Wolf.

20. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Nice one - games like that can be very entertaining and very frustrating at the same time! :)

Regarding the game apparently not rolling for heat. There are two possibilities there:

1. The kick-off result for the previous drive was "Changing Weather". That would mean that the sweltering heat no longer applied.

2. The log only shows the failed rolls from sweltering heat, so it is possible that no 1s were rolled and every player on both teams could take to the field. The players that are already in the dugout don't of course roll for sweltering heat either.