Branded Beasts [OCC]

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
So this is my first attempt at coaching a bash team, and the extra development potential of mutations has tempted me to enter a Chaos team into SSC S16 1F.
Unless something goes hideously wrong in the next 4 matches I'm hoping to take their corporate-branded hides to the OCC for my first season.

Hopefully you'll be able to help me along with this team seeing as there's a wide choice of development paths for these guys. :)

I've gone for the pretty standard 3RR 4CW 7BM starting roster, here's the current squad:

ImageRoster.aspx

Seasons:

S16 SSC 1F: 1-4-4, 7th
S17 OCC 5B: 4-2-3, 5th
S18 OCC 4B: 7-1-1, 1st
S19 OCC 3B: 4-3-2, 3rd
S20 OCC 2D: 3-0-6, 8th
S21 OCC 3D: 2-3-4, 7th

Last edited:

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
After 5 matches they have a record of 0-4-1 (which really should've been 0-5-0 but for my stupid mistake on T16 of MD1! :eek:).

0-1 Dwa (GreyChanG)
1-1 KhD (Errant Saint)
1-1 Nur (keechmj / Nev)
1-1 Nor (Gollwyn)
1-1 Und (zdsdead)

Last 4 matches are, in order: ChD (phoenix44), DaE (RayXXX), WoE (Etheric), Cha (Rymdkejsaren)

Choices before next match:

Replacements
I have 3 players carrying injuries and 190k in the kitty.
The -AG goat is MNG so I will probably replace him after my next match (funds allowing).

I think I'll keep the -MA CW for this next match against the Chaos Dwarves, his Guard will be useful and I won't care if gets whacked by their Claw dwarf blocker. I just have to hope he doesn't get the MVP! Hopefully replace after next match.

So I think I'll just replace the -MA goat for now. This also leaves me enough to buy the merc goat if he lands the MVP (replacing the -AG one).

An alternative was buying a Mino, but I guess I need to replace my reliable players first. Plus a Mino will probably give all my opponents a Wiz for the remainder of the season.

Level ups
The Dodge goat (Pep Sicola) has a normal skill pending, so I'm thinking Block and trying to keep his options open.

Rookie goat Ken Tukifrydchyken either MB for a killer route, or Wrestle for a safety (Tackle next).
Both the Centaurs in my next match have Block so Wrestle would be handy, although my next three matches all have AV7 players in the team, which could be nice for MB.

Or should I be adding some ball gathering skills in there really (SH or Extra Arms), or hold off a bit longer to see if they get any more double or stat rolls, in particular +AG?

So many decisions to make already! :D

Last edited:

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
After an 11 game season my CC goats are starting to feel pretty nice. I've been going on a policy of just taking the fundamental skills. One early beast gets wrestle, everyone else getting block. I'd have taken sure hands on one, but rolled MV on a beast, and so decided to focus on him as my future ball carrier. Despite losing a Warrior and a Mino in game one I've gone 4-3-4 in the cup which I'm pretty happy with.

Personally looking at your squad I'd want Pep as the ball carrier with dodge. I tend to not bother with dodge on doubles as it means players with tackle have just taken a useless skill, and often developed teams have a fair few of them, but I still think it's great on a ball carrier. Block and Sure Hands next on him for me in any order.

I find personally that once I had a spread of blockers and a wrestler the team came on leaps and bounds because you're not using rerolls as much on the 2D block. That's been my priority, getting the first blocking skill on as many players as possible, and it's worked out well. For that reason my killers have block first then MB, and I plan to build two of them. This is personal preference. Going MB, Claw/PO on the killers will get you there quicker, but I imagine they'll also be targets and beastmen break pretty easily. Also that route feels a lot more luck based, a lot of times you're hoping for pows. I'd take the Wrestler for the next game personally, MB isn't necessarily going to do much against a wall of AV9.

I wasn't too keen on the Mino, with him dying first game and all, but the last two games his replacement has been worth his weight in gold. I find if you're prepared to blitz with him it causes the opponent no end of problems, but obviously don't risk the vital blitzes with him and prepare for failure first.

Another thing that really helps is having a bench. I think being down on numbers is especially bad for starting Chaos. I would be tempted to get rid of the injuries as soon as you can replace them although it does make sense to keep the Guard Warrior for the CD game. I also (controversially?) use my Warriors on the LOS. Defence seems to be much more solid that way. In 17 games (including CTA) I lost one warrior dead apothed to dead, and that wasn't because he was on the LOS, it was just a freak Beast of Nurgle blitz. Would possibly rethink that policy if I came up against a ton of MB/Claw though.

Development plan for the Goats is to get Block, Guard on the Warriors ASAP. All doubles and stat increases ignored bar ST for first two skillups. After I could be tempted by Diving Tackle or Side Step, also AG.

Beasts will also ignore doubles for the first skill. I want block or wrestle first. After Diving Tackle would possibly tempt me. Making two killers (Block, MB, PO/Claw) then most of the rest will be Block, Guard. It's only after that I'm going to get creative.

Not that this is the right way, but it seems to be working OK for me at the moment. Really enjoying them now they're past the unreliable stage.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
I'd say "Don't sack the -MV quite yet" - just buy a new as replacement so you can have 12 players. He'll do nicely on the line of scrimmage along with your other cripples ;)

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
Think I will have to watch a couple of your replays Barn, I'd be pretty happy with a 4-3-4 record on rookie Chaos!

Personally looking at your squad I'd want Pep as the ball carrier with dodge. I tend to not bother with dodge on doubles as it means players with tackle have just taken a useless skill, and often developed teams have a fair few of them, but I still think it's great on a ball carrier. Block and Sure Hands next on him for me in any order.

Yeah I did wonder about Dodge when I took it, but I figure he'll be a ball handler initially, hopefully handing off for colleagues to score if its not critical. If he gets another double he can have DT, then add SF and Tackle or Tail to make him a marker, while another goat gets the main ball handling duty.

Development plan for the Goats is to get Block, Guard on the Warriors ASAP. All doubles and stat increases ignored bar ST for first two skillups. After I could be tempted by Diving Tackle or Side Step, also AG.

Beasts will also ignore doubles for the first skill. I want block or wrestle first. After Diving Tackle would possibly tempt me. Making two killers (Block, MB, PO/Claw) then most of the rest will be Block, Guard. It's only after that I'm going to get creative.

Certainly agree about Block + Guard first for CWs, although again an early double would get me thinking about a Blodge ST4 player. And should we dismiss Nuffle's gifts without fear of retribution?! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about getting the basics sorted and then getting creative, although I do wonder if it might be advantageous to be a little creative from the outset with a couple of goats so the team isn't too one dimensional by the time they're all about lvl 2 or 3. I guess a Wrackler, ball-handler & and a killer is probably creative for starters.
It's finding a balance I guess, and getting some nice skill/stat rolls can hugely influence thtat - an early +AG goat would be top of the wish list. ;)

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
I'd say "Don't sack the -MV quite yet" - just buy a new as replacement so you can have 12 players. He'll do nicely on the line of scrimmage along with your other cripples ;)

Hmmm, think I'd be giving away a Babe if I hold on to him and it'll be a 2nd player of 12 who I don't want to get the MVP, but against Chaos Dwarves having an extra body could be handy - especially on the LoS where that Claw blocker is bound to be.
Nice one Nik, I think I might just do that! :cool:

Last edited:

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Awesome theme by the way, names are brilliant.

Bit of a brutal start, but getting draws with early Chaos is pretty commendable - the lack of skills is so painful.

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
i'm in the 'sack him' camp. it's early, and if you have the scratch it's better to bet on the new guy getting some spp than a wasted mvp on a soon to be dead player.

great theme. :)

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Keep him, it makes it very easy to select candidates for LOS and -MV is still quite fine for killing:powdodge:

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Great Theme.... and so many injuries in so few games !!:confused:

Keep the cripples in the LOS... they won't last. Don't worry.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Hmmm, think I'd be giving away a Babe if I hold on to him and it'll be a 2nd player of 12 who I don't want to get the MVP, but against Chaos Dwarves having an extra body could be handy - especially on the LoS where that Claw blocker is bound to be.
Nice one Nik, I think I might just do that! :cool:

One extra body is usually worth more than one babe is. And if he gets the MVP, just give him dirty player and use him to kick people in the head with until they take affront and kill him for you.

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
Cheers guys, I think you've convinced me to keep the -MA for LoS fodder along with the -MA CW, and buy another healthy goat.

Think I will go Block on Pep and Wrestle on Ken.
The next goat to hit level 2 may get MB.

GB & Lebe, I hadn't thought about it really but I suppose 3 injuries in 5 matches is a little harsh for AV8 & 9 (maybe I'm just used to it with my CCX Necro's taking a beating!).

The CW got injured 1st match, before I had an Apo (wretched Troll Slayer! :mad:).
-MA goat was injured MD4 early on, so i decided not to use the Apo as he had 0 SPP.
-AG goat was killed and Apo'd to -AG on MD5.

And thanks, its always nice to hear there's some love for the theme too. ;)

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
MD6 tonight vs Chaos Dwarves, and I've just realised that the plan to get a 12th player for this match will require me buying 2 more goats - I have 1 MNG (totally overlooked that small detail! :eek:)

Think I will go for 2 extra goats to have a bench, it will also reduce the chances of the MVP falling on a damaged player.

Alternative is stick with the 10 players and put the loner on LoS and hope my armour rolls are decent for a change.

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Tough one that. I feel like to have a chance of winning the game you're going to need the numbers advantage and would probably buy the players, but it's a risky one. If it's just 10 + loner and he receives you could be down on numbers for the whole game, and that gives them a huge advantage.

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
I agree.
Plus my opponent has 110k available so he could buy his 6th Blocker, which would mean facing 8 players with Block (his 2 Centaurs have Block).
I'm hoping he's saving for a Mino! ;)

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
MD6: (phoenix44) Alt JuggerNaughts 2 - 0 Branded Beasts (Ging)

Well that was a steaming pile of a game. :mad:
Chaos Dwarves induce a Babe and choose to receive in pouring rain and we both got an extra RR.

T1 he KOs my Guard CW who stays off until the 2nd half, and successfully gathers the ball deep with his Leader Hobgob.
T2 I manage to KO one of his loner Hobgobs in return, but in T3 two of my goats get stunned and I'm left short to cover his progress up his right flank. However on T4 I get an opportunity to blitz his carrying hobgob with Laurie Elle (Block goat), but even with a RR i'm only able to push him onto a CW. Fortunately the CW obliges and puts the hobgob down on the astrogranite. Ball is free, but I don't really have enough support to make it difficult for him to pick up.
Next turn his hobgob is able to pick the ball up again, without a RR and sit in a half cage. I'm again able to blitz him again with Pep Sicola (Blodge goat), but he fails his dodge after RR and its a simple matter for him to run in the TD on T6. 1-0.

His hobgob returns, my Guard CW does not.
Riot on kick off and the clock gets turned forward :( so I'm left with 2 turns to equalize.
All I can mange is a KOd & stunned hobgob and 2 stunned dwarves. Manage to get 1SPP from a pass on Mack Donalds... which will later prove irrelevant.

2nd half, my CW and his hobgob both return so 11 v 11, I get a Quick Snap on the kick off, and its still raining.
We mange to put a centaur and 3 hobgobs on the floor, no armour breaks at all, but at least we gathered the ball 1st time. :)

Next turn I probably fail to capitalise on my slight advantage of players standing when I could have put two goats up round his right flank, so Nuffle decides to punish Ken T (Wrestle goat) when the Claw dwarf BHs him. Decide not to use the Apo. From then on its just a procession of Chaos only able to push his players around, while all he rolls is a bucket-load of smackdown. Stunneds all over the place, and KO'd Guard CW - which I Apo to keep him on the pitch.

I do manage to make a hole and squeeze a couple of players through, but when the ball carrier (Mack Donalds) goes he fails his GFI and the ball is loose.
A couple more stunned chaos players and a push onto the ball sees it eventually gathered by a centaur at the 4th attempt.
All I can manage are a couple more :pushback:s, then on his next turn Mack Donalds goat gets blocked and killed (5 SPP gone), with the Apo already used. :skull:
Jill Ette gets KO'd on the same turn and I'm unable to prevent his centaur galloping down the pitch to make it 2-0 on T16.

Chaos
d6: -15.56
2d6: -4.23
Block: 29/61

ChD
d6: 1.70
2d6 -1.23
Block: 43/60

Another game where I've caused 0 CAS. Also the 1 SPP pass was made by the now dead Mack Donalds and the MVP went on my -MA CW who I was intending to get rid of.
Will update the roster once game has been validated.

Last edited:

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
Ok MD7 up tomorrow night against RayXXX's Dark Elves (2RR, 4 Blitzers, 1 Runner).
He's got 3 Wrestle lineman, 1 Guard Blitzer, 1 +AG Blitzer, 1 SH Runner + skill pending and the rest are rookies.
I'm not currently facing any Dodge which is a little surprising, but not unwelcome! :)

What isn't welcome is another MVP on my -MA warrior, who has acquired 12 out of his 13 SPP since he got injured on MD1, and is only 3 SPP from levelling up again.
Whilst an injured player is never desirable, is -MA on a warrior going to prevent him being an useful player long-term?

To reduce the risk of further MVP disappointment, I'm going to replace 1 of my damaged goats before this match.
I guess I should ditch the -MA one now as he has 0 SPP, and then after my next game replace the -AG one, so long as we don't have any further injuries in the mean time.
These replacements are pushing a potential Mino purchase way into the sunset. :(

[Roster on OP is up to date again now]

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
MD7: Branded Beasts 1 - 2 Feckin Elves (RayXXX)

Well Ray's pending skill turned out to be +ST on his Sure Hands runner :rolleyes: and he also bought a Witch.
I replaced Jill Ette (-MA) with Pete Zahut. No inducements for either side.

I chose to receive and a jammy kick to LoS on my left flank coupled with a Perfect Defence event meant I only had one 2d block available and that was nowhere near the ball, plus his ST4 runner was one of the 2 players covering the ball. Again I really should've set up to negate a possible bad kick off event but it didn't occur to me. :(
Needless to say the 3 blocks I got resulted in two crappy pushes and a both down for my Wrestle goat Ken T. I couldn't clear the ball of TZs to try and pick it up. Maybe I should've risked a 1d with RR, but I was running out of time and was a bit flustered by such a mess of my T1.
Meanwhile on Ray's T1 he KO's a CW and stuns a goat picks up the ball and makes it safe. Here we go, what a great start.
On T3 Pete Zahut makes his first meaningful contribution to the team by KOing the ST4 runner, although next turn the Elves are able to score. 1-0.

My CW returns, but the ST4 runner doesn't, plus they've used their 2 RRs already.
Riot on kickoff gives me an extra turn to try and equalize, but again five 2d blocks only result in 1 elf down (his witch is the only player with dodge too), but Moe Torola does at least pick up the ball at the first attempt. ;)
Better luck next turn and we stun & KO two elves and advance a half cage with two potenital receivers in range, but one mistake in my positioning allows a 1d blitz on Moe and its :powdodge:, ball on the ground but surrounded by chaos players.
Next turn we make a few hits and dodge Moe onto the ball but he fails the pickup.
T8 and by now my recievers are marked but still in 2x GFI range, so a blitz on one of the markers free's up Roe Lexx for a hand off. Moe Torola successfully manages to pick up and then hand off to Roe Lexx who trots to the EZ for the score, without needing a RR. 1-1

Both his KOs return for the 2nd half, and we both get a RR on kickoff.
For about 4 turns I manage to defend pretty well and he has to retreat the ball carrier back deep, but just when I think I'm getting on top I miss the opportunity to totally isolate his 1 reciever in range and the goat marking him is blitzed away. Cue the handoff, pass and TD. 2-1.

The Elves get another RR on kickoff and I have 4 turns left to equalize.
Too many pushes again prevent me from making too much progress down the pitch and with 3 turns to go I decide we need to throw caution to the wind, so we knock over one of his blitzers and go into contact with two of his columns but with my Chaos in a heavily-manned cage, and my Guard CW central at the front.

A slightly early tunrover then gives me about four 2d blocks available to advance the cage and run the ball carrier through and some support, but unsurprisingly we roll four lots of :pushback: results and a fifth :pushback: when I decide to use a re-roll on the vital one. :mad: That route is now blocked so I run two receiver goats round the other side to hopefully be available for some kind of passing play on T16.
Sadly we never get the opportunity because an elf is able to blitz round the back of cage and take down the ball carrier, and to really screw it up for me the ball bounces to one of my CWs who fails the catch and it then bounces to a double-marked elf who does catch it. Two successful :pow: 1d blocks then follow to free their ball carrier who dodges away to safety. Leaving me no way to blitz on T16 without dodging into TZs, which fails. Game over.

All the dice were slightly in Ray's favour, but not by much. It was the timing of the crucial rolls that didn't go my way, rather than the amount this week. Plus a few errors from me, as usual.
Something's got to give soon.

No level ups for the 2nd game running, with rookie Moe Torola scoring the TD and the MVP going to Ken T (wrestle goat) who is also now on 13 SPP. No CAS for either side, so at least no injuries for me this week. ;)