1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Build a New Team

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by S1nner, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Halflings

How about a Halfling team with some more variety?

In addition to your treeman and standard halflings, you could have some other players, such as:

The halfling butcher - M5 S2 A3 AV6 (Skills - stunty, dodge, stab, secret weapon). He carries a meat cleaver which can break armour (hence stab), but its quite an obvious weapon, unlike a dagger (hence secret weapon). I would put his cost at 50k and allow 2 of them on the team. Agility skill access on normal and others on double.

Halfling Lard-arse - M4 S3 A2 AV7 (Skills - thick skull, always hungry)
    The lard arse is a halfling of large proportions as he is constantly eating. This has results in him being double the size of the average halfling, with a thick layer of insulating blubber to absorb hits. He can also use his weight against his enemies, much like a sumo. Unfortunately, as he eats so much, the team can only afford 1 as otherwise they would go broke feeding him (or he would eat his teammates).
    I would put his cost at 70k and give him General skill access on normal, others on double.

This would round out the halfling team a little more and give them a bit more of a chance.

N.

2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would love to see a mini of the lard arse:D

3. S1nner

S1nner Member

Country Flag:
    Lol yes!

I always did think the Halfling Roster was boring compared to the goblin one. The butchers are an interesting addition. With stunty and dodge, he can get into cages, and have a decent chance to pop the ball carrier.

Another team I want to see updated is either Pro Elf or High Elf. They do play differently, but I don't know... there just seems to be too much overlap.

4. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Pro elf was surposed to replace high elf, as a cheaper elf team was wanted to take part in tournaments, public outcry resulted in the high elf team remaining an option. Probaly thats why they feel alike.

5. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Ancient Japan Theme

I obviously have too much time on my hands now that I am back in Tokyo. I decided to make a team based on ancient Japan. I think it’s a fairly balanced team, with skills approximating the actual character types. If you can suggest better skill allocation based on the history of the characters, I’d like to hear your suggestions.

0-1 Shogun – M6 S4 A4 AV8 [Leader]
    Access to General, Strength and Agility skills on a normal roll
    Cost: 120,000
    The Shogun is like the general of the Japanese army, so I decided leader was appropriate, as well as good all-round stats.

0-4 Samurai - M6 S3 A4 AV8 [Pro]
    Access to General and Agility skills on a normal roll
    Cost: 90,000
    The samurai are the skilled warriors of the army, who’s years of training mean they rarely make mistakes. Hence they come with Pro.

0-2 Sumo – M4 S4 A2 AV8 [Wrestle, Juggernaut, Thick skull]
    Access to Strength skills on a normal roll
    Cost: 110,000
    Due to their bulk, the sumo’s charge is unstoppable, leading them to have juggernaut and thick skull. I also thought wrestle was an appropriate skill given they are “sumo wrestlers”.

0-2 Ninja – M6 S3 A4 AV7 [Stab, Sure feet, Leap]
    Access to General and Agility skills on a normal roll
    Cost: 100,000
    The ninja is an adept at going in for the silent kill (stab and sure feet). However they also possess amazing athletic agility (leap).

0-16 Peasants – M5 S3 A3 AV7
    Access to General skills on a normal roll
    Cost: 40,000
    The cheap cannon fodder. You can rely on them to take hits and get hurt!

6. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    I like the idea of a Japanese blood bowl team, but you’ve broken multiple guidelines

ST4 and AG4 on the same team

ST+AG > 7 on a single player

540k of players worth over 100k

A position of 0-1 players is a breach of the recommended guidelines

It also feels rather elvish with the AG4 where it should be more human. So, I think taking the ag4 away and giving them skills in its place make the team a bit more skilled/unusual human team and not elf with cheap linemen and ST4 players.

This is my take.

0-2 Samurai M6 S3 A3 AV9 Pro, Block 100K
    Extremely well equipped professional warriors who train for years, experts in direct combat (so block and high AV) these warriors are highly trained and rarely make mistakes (so pro) GS AP

0-2 Ninja M8 S2 A3 AV7 Stab, Shadowing, Dodge 90K
    The superhuman athletic ability of the Ninja shows through in his lightning speed (M8 & Dodge), only the quickest can escape the Ninja’s blade (shadow & stab) GA SP

0-2 Sumo M4 S4 A2 AV8 Wrestle, Juggernaut, Thick Skull 110K
    Couldn’t agree more with Narly Birds sumo wrestler, very authentic GS AP

0-2 Sohai M6 S3 A3 AV8 Dodge, Leap 80K
    The Sohai or warrior monks focus on speed and agility to get an advantage on their opponent GA SP

0-2 Shogun M6 S3 A3 AV7 Leader, Sure Hands 80K
    The Shogun is the leader of the team on the field, this makes him the natural choice for ball carrier as the rest of the team rally to defend him GASP (not sure this has any precedence at all but I really liked the idea of a player that can develop in any direction)

0-16 Peasants M6 S3 A3 AV7 30K
    Cheaper and more disposable than previously listed with the same stats. G ASP

This team now complies with all the requirements and all but 1 of the recommendations (#11 no more than 4 non lineman positions) Even this can be complied with by removing any 1 position and increasing Ninja, Sohai or Shogun from 0-2 to 0-4 to maintain # of positional players but I think that takes away from the teams character.

7. mrpier

mrpier Member

The Epic Bloodbowl team

Again, just for fun. This team really makes no sense in Blood Bowl and I must admit being a bit inspired by the japanese team, well it was mostly the ninjas that set me off. Could have made place for vampires and werewolves too, but I wanted to make a new team.

Ninjas 0-2 MV: 7 ST: 2 AG: 4 AV: 7 Dodge, Leap GA GSP 80k
    Pirates 0-2 MV: 6 ST: 3 AG: 3 AV: 8 Block GS AP 90k
    Monkeys 0-16 MV: 7 ST: 1 AG: 3 AV: 5 Titchy, Dodge, Stunty A GSP 30k
    Zombies 0-16 MV: 4 ST: 3 AG: 2 AV: 8 Regeneration G SAP 40k
    Robots 0-2 MV: 3 ST: 4 AG: 1 AV: 9 Thick Skull, Jump Up, Stand Firm GS AP 110k

Bear MV: 5 ST: 5 AG: 1 AV: 9 Thick skull, Mighty Blow, No hands, Wild Animal, Break Tackle, Frenzy S GAP 160k

RR 50k

8. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Japanese team

I really like the thought you put into the revised version maxcarrion and I mostly agree with your changes. Im also quite impressed with your knowledge of Japan and the inclusion of the Sohei warrior monks.

When I originally put the Shogun in, I was actually thinking to put him as a special character, but then just tossed him into the team as a normal choice. You version seems more a thrower type build, which makes the team a bit more rounded (previously there was nobody with passing skills). Also, when I was modeling the stats of the team, I had dark elves in mind and I guess that’s reflected in their stats (as you pointed out). I prefer your version with mostly Agility 3 characters.

One change I would suggest though is in relation to the peasants. I feel that they are just too cheap at 30k and should be increased back to 40k. When you consider they are the same stats as a human lineman, except for the –1AV, I think that a discount of 20k is too much.

Who knows, maybe if this team was actually introduced then people in Japan would start playing bloodbowl and I’d have someone to play against!:)

N.

9. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    I love it Mr Peir!:D Who wouldn’t want monkeys and pirates on their bloodbowl team? Although if it was me I would have included a clown too.;)

N.

10. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    @Narlybird, it may seem that 1 AV shouldn’t be worth that much but based on the rules posted at the beginning of the thread that’s exactly what that 1 AV is worth. Since that 1 AV is the difference between 28% chance of an injury and 42%! Before counting any modifiers it’s actually quite a vital point. I was tempted with improving the peasants to make them worth 40k or 50k but M would’ve made them as fast as wood elves, S or A were right out, AV seemed out of character for peasants and giving them a starting skill seemed odd as they would’ve only had minimal training.

There used to be a WFB army based on Japanese shogun era called Nippon iirc so it’s not without precedence.

@MrPier Love the concept although again it’s a rule breaker (people can’t seem to resist putting AG4 and ST4 in the same team but that’s just one of several breaches) and the player costs are all skewed, for example that ninja is only worth 60k and the pirate only 80k. If I have some time at some point I may try and “legalize” them, although replacing your ag4 ninja with my ag3 ninja will solve half the breaches in one fell swoop. Personally I like the idea of 0-8 ninja (using my ninja stats at 80k) 0-8 pirates (using your pirate stats at 80k) and 0-1 minotaur (cow-boy :p) to make a fun pirate, cowboy, ninja team

11. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    If a skill was to be awarded to the puny peasants FEND is a good fluff option, as that is all a peasant ever do. Fend off anything new, anything threatning and just hope that they live a quiet undesturbed life dying in their beds.

12. mrpier

mrpier Member

Must admit I had overlooked the part about pricing, I just guesstimated based on some similar players in the CRP :D

13. jlmb

jlmb New Member

Country Flag:
    New user here, thought I'd have a go:

La Maisontaal Exhibition Team

0 - 16 Linerats: 50k
    0 - 16 Skeletons: 40k
    0 - 2 Gutter Runners: 80k
    0 - 2 Ghouls: 70k
    0 - 2 Wights: 90k
    0 - 1 Rat Ogre: 150k

RRs: 70k

Special: May not hire Apothecaries.

I very much doubt it's anywhere near balanced, but it's fluffy as far as the Warhammer world is concerned - and it's based on the first officially published Warhammer scenario. The lack of Apothecaries is meant to represent the fact that the alliance attacked in a massive horde to overwhelm the Brettonians, and expected casualties.

14. drester

drester New Member

I love the jap style human team it looks like a lot of fun.

I don't know how controversial it is to say this but I would love to see the chaos team rejigged to fit the current fluff! Basicly dropping the beastmen for maruders and swap the Minotaur for an ogre with mutation access.

As for the beastmen I would give them their own team which might look something like this:
    0-2 bestigor 6 4 3 8 horns gsm ap 100k
    0-6 gor 6 3 3 7 horns gm sap 60k
    0-16 ungor 7 2 3 7 dirty player g mpas 50k
    0-1 Minotaur (standard chaos mino)

rerolls 60k?

15. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Looks like a fun team. They are quite strong - bestigors have Strength 5 on a blitz and don’t suffer from negatives like other big guys. I guess its somewhat offset though by their low armour and lack of starting skills. My fav. player on the team is the Ungor. Movement 7 and dirty player is a great combo. Once the opposition goes down, the Ungor makes sure he stays down!

I would suggest making their rerolls 70k though. Otherwise you can max out on all the positionals and still afford 3 rerolls. Better to involve some strategic thinking in the process of reroll/player selection.

N.

16. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    @Jimb does break a couple of the rules, AG4+ and ST4+ on the same team just like everyone else :p (I know Wood Elves and Skaven do it but that’s no excuse). But otherwise fairly good fluff/balance, switch the gutter runners for skaven throwers and make the linerats/skeletons 0-8 each and I think that hits all the guidelines for a new team at first glance. You can even throw in 0-2 Mummies if you fancy a bashier option. If you would rather keep the gutter runners then the rat ogre will have to go but you could partially fill that gap with 0-2 Skaven Blitzers (Storm vermin)

@drester: Nothing wrong with a chaos team using Marauders instead of beastmen or Ogre instead of Mino, both seem ok to me, the beastmen on the other hand is rather inconsistent, illegal and I think wouldn’t play well either. Beastigor should cost 110k, gor should cost 40k, ungor 30k and they’re pretty useless, sure dirty player is nice but you don’t need it on many players and str2+AV7 for linemen on a bashy team is going to be unplayable. How about something like

0-1 Minotaur
    Works right out of the box
    0-2 Bestigor 6 4 3 8 horns, mighty blow gsm ap 120k
    The big strong bashers, these are going to scare people as they are fast and agile str 4 with str 5 on blitz and they hit like a train
    0-2 Centigor 8 3 3 8 horns, juggernaut gsm ap 100k
    Good speed and powerful blitz become a running theme in the beast team, the centigor forms the core of the running game
    0-2 Ungor Fouler 7 3 3 7 dirty player gma sp 70k
    Not renown for fair play the weaker players resort to whatever works, armour is ditched for speed so they can get where they’re needed to put the boot in
    0-4 Gor 6 3 3 8 horns, frenzy gm asp 70k
    Again the mobile bashing is reinforced with the animalistic frenzy skill, excellent wingers
    0-16 Ungor 6 3 3 8 g masp 50k
    The cheap, throwaway linesmen, just strong enough to stand the beating they are allocated to receive but also fully capable of dodging, ball handling and running like any good linesman should be

The beastman team will play somewhere between the mobility of dark elves and the power of chaos giving a team capable of blinding feints and fierce, high casualty brawling. Expect action packed games with TD’s and casualties racking up rapidly on both sides.

17. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    A minor quibble, but my understanding of those guidelines was that you specifically shouldn't have players with ST4 and (other) players with AG4 on the same roster, because a ST5+ player will have a negative trait and effectively be 'self-balancing' (mummies excluded - this game is like the English language - exceptions to the exceptions to the rules!). But even then, it seems the presence of the ST5+ player is only permissible if the team is mostly lacking in AV8+ players, so I'd still object to a team with Gutter Runners, Wights and a Rat Ogre... hmm, it's confusing.

Even if none of these teams match up to absolute standards, though, it's great fun reading everyone's ideas. Slimes and Slannesh both seemed to marry their concepts and core mechanics really well - just goes to show the versatility of the skill structure that the game's designers put in place. The Japanese team seems pretty cool; I love the idea of ninjas and sumos punching out zombies and ghouls. Have to say all this talk about a new chaos team is a little confusing - what's wrong with the old one?

Sad not to see many takers for the wizards though. Two fireballs every turn, people, what more do you want!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  18. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    oops, misread that, the rat ogre is fine, the one big guy slot is available for teams with ag4, just no non big guy st4+ players :p so the skaven/undead team is fine.

19. drester

drester New Member

I forgot about centigor, good shout including them maxcarrion. It definetly would make them more fun.

As for what's wrong with the chaos team.... Well nothing it's fine the way it is but now that warriors of chaos and beastmen are seperate armies I thought it would be intresting to see if anyone thought the bb team would benefit from being split into two.:rolleyes:

20. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    It seems that bloodbowlers are a bunch of creative people. Although for me nothing will top having a team of monkeys and pirates… unless it were to include a scary clown!:D He would have foul appearance because everyone is afraid of clowns, so nobody would want to block him. He’d also have disturbing presence because he would distract the catchers with his zany antics. And he’d have sure hands, as he is so used to juggling balls.:cool:

But I digress.

As we now have a beastman team, any thoughts on what the warrior team would comprise of? The last time I was into warhammer they were still one army, so I don’t have much idea. I assume Marauders and Chaos Warriors. What else?:confused: