1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chaos Dwarf Bull Centaur - take +1MA or a skill?

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Rigolgm, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Rigolgm

Rigolgm New Member

Steam Username:
    rigolgm
    Country Flag:
    Hi

My Chaos Dwarf Bull Centaur rolled 4+6 when he hit 16 Star Player Points, so he could get +1MA instead of a skill. He already has Break Tackle.

My question is simple. Is it a smart idea to get +1MA or would that leave him too long before I get to add Block? Would he become too weak at blitzing when my league goes on and he begins to face more ST3 Block/Tackle opposing players?

My own sense is that something as small as +1MA might make all the difference, both when I'm using him as a ballrunner and when I'm trying to run the 'long way' around players to blitz someone. I'm also finding that my Chaos Dwarf team doesn't use-up its 3 Re-rolls very quickly (only for ball pick-ups), so hopefully I'll still have have a re-roll if/when I need to do an important blitz with him.

My team has played two games, suffered no player losses, and has got 2 Bull Centaurs but no Minotaur. My other Bull Centaur is at 5SPP and all five Chaos Dwarf Blockers are at 2SPP or 4SPP each. None of my four hobgoblins have SPP. I have an Apothecary. With 50k in the bank, I'm optimistic about getting my sixth blocker after my next match (unless people start dying etc!)

My next game is vs Dark Elves and then I have seven more games to play in our league, including vs 2 more elf teams (who are whipping everyone and killing players too!). Apart from one ST4-heavy Orc team, most of the opposing teams have an elfy, human or Bretonnian feel (I'm a bit worried about Bretonnian blitzers hitting my Bull Centaurs with their Dauntless skill ... but hopefully my blockers can pin those blitzers).

Thanks for any views. I have a few days to decide which way to go.

Mike

2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I am assuming this is tabletop so you get to pick where the SPP can go.
    If so then your next few matches you should be picking the dwarves all the time to get them guard.
    With your other bull at 5 SPP he probably wants to carry the ball to get a TD as well so this bull is unlikely to get to 31 SPP in the next 6 games.

So while +MA on a bull is nice I would take block or possibly sure hands if those 2 elf teams are woodies with strip ball.

3. Rigolgm

Rigolgm New Member

Steam Username:
    rigolgm
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. Sounds very sensible and I think you're right.

I have 50k to spend for my next match (vs Dark Elves) and I will probably buy a Hobgoblin (my 12th player) rather than rush to get my sixth Chaos Dwarf Blocker, as Dark Elves are good at dodging away from my tough players and will exploit any gaps if I don't have any reserves to fill gaps. Plus, fouls are good vs Elves, so a Hobgoblin might get sent off. And if I do really well I might get 60k after the match anyway and still get my sixth blocker.

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Do you play multiple seasons? if so then speed kills, I would take the +MA. Makes for a great safety should the enemy get past your defence and you have a greater chance of 1 turning. Consider wrestle and tackle next. If you only have 7 games left with this team then go for block or wrestle.

5. Rigolgm

Rigolgm New Member

Steam Username:
    rigolgm
    Country Flag:
    I took Block not +1MA. I beat the Dark Elves quite easily and Block helped.

It's 7 games to go and then a 'revenge cup' that lasts one day, to allow us to fight again. Like any basic cup, that could mean anything from about 1 to 4 games.

My main concern now with Bull Centaurs is that they lack Tackle. Elf opponents are already beginning to get Block-Dodge runners/catchers (one has a level 4 one) and lacking Tackle makes it statistically difficult to knock them down or stop them dodging. So when my other Bull Centaur goes up above his 5SPP I would consider getting Tackle .... but it just seems a bit unfortunate, given how much Tackle is already on my slower team members. And levelled-up Bull Centaurs with no Block are a bit of a target.

6. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I wouldn't take tackle as a 1st skill on a bull. Wrestle is as good as tackle when hitting blodgers and better when hitting none dodge players. The dwarves will also get chances to hit them so it will be rare that a tackle only bull will be your best blitz option.

Netsmurf likes this.
  7. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Agree.
    My first choices were Break Tackle on both my bulls. That extra mobility on them is priceless. Block is my second choice, but your team is already full of Tackle so adding one on a bull in spite of other skill is less advantageous.