1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying base game only?

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by CariadocThorne, Jun 10, 2018.

1. CariadocThorne

CariadocThorne Member

Country Flag:
    Hi all,

I am considering getting BB2 this week, as my local scene has been drying up for a while, and has finally keeled over.

Thing is, I'm getting ready to move house, and money is tight so I can only afford the base game at the moment.

Will I be able to play effectively online with just the base game, or will it restrict me in leagues I can join or stuff like that?

2. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the forums if even for a short time.

I believe that the base game will allow you to enter most competitions. You will not have mixed or custom teams but the bigger leagues and tournaments don’t use them in their main leagues. Mixed teams tend to be their own thing with their own leagues and custom teams are used mostly in one off special events like all star matches and quick tournaments.

Admittedly my experience is with the PC version not xbox or playstation. If you have the choice I believe PC is by far the largest community with playstation being slightly larger than xbox. If you are looking at a console version then someone else should be able to provide more info on their leagues.

3. CariadocThorne

CariadocThorne Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks, so if I just want to play High Elves in a regular league I should be fine?

4. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    In theory yes. I haven't done it but to my knowledge you should be able to join the normal match making ladders and some leagues. Did you have a league in mind?

5. CariadocThorne

CariadocThorne Member

Country Flag:
    No, I've only just started considering playing online. I figured I'd find out whether it would work with just the base game before I start trying to figure out which league or anything.

6. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Well cyanide run two pick up ladders that are fine for getting used to the game. Open ladder is the bigger one but people can and do concede midgame. Champs ladder has seasons of 6 weeks with a playoff and a concede limit.

7. CariadocThorne

CariadocThorne Member

Country Flag:
    How does it work in terms of number of games? I'll probably only play a couple of games each week to start with, will that matter?

8. mamutas

mamutas Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Base version will allow you to play in many leagues and competitions, but you have only the base teams - you won't be able to create teams from add-on races, but you will be able to play against them nonetheless.
    The game is on sale now I believe, so I'd strongly recommend to get Legendary edition if you can, even if you can't afford the team pack with extra races. LE has lots of nice fixes in it.

9. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Most leagues are weekly. So one match a week. It is the best way to play BB2 in my entirely nonbiased opinion and so long as you can stick to what you agree it will be fine.

Maybe join one league and play some Champs ladder if you are experienced. That way you won’t overcommit and can still get the games in if you want to play more. Champs ladder starts a new season on Wednesday.

Big Crunch 2 is looking for new players to start a new season later this month (he says showing his bias).

https://bbtactics.com/forum/forums/big-crunch-2.23/

There are however other leagues I should mention UKBBL, OCC and rebbl who are all well thought of. So look at them as well and pick which one you like the look of (but mainly BC2).

10. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Playing in the Open ladders you can play as many games as you like whenever you like. You are not going to win the ladder only playing a game or 2 a week but you get to have fun playing bloodbowl. The teams are matched mainly on TV so the opposing team will be of a similar standard to your own. This means if you have a bad patch where players die your next opponent will have a lower TV to match your own.

Long Term leagues like Big Crunch 2 you need to play 1 game a week at a time agreed with your opponent. The opponent can be anywhere in the world so some weekend availability is good as with a potential 8 to 12 hour time difference UK evening times aren't always possible.
    However if you do have the flexibility to play in a private league it is a lot more fun.
    You get to build up rivalries and stories and every game means something as you hope for promotion, to win your division or even just not finish last.

Halub and sbr32 like this.
  11. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    The joy of not coming last is indescribable.

Halub and martybhoy like this.
  12. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Member

Steam Username:
    RJCarrot
    Country Flag:
    Or you can play halflings and cackle every time you steal a win. Expectations are so much less triggery when you know losing is more likely. It makes wining that much more juicy.

13. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Hey I have been playing flings for 3 seasons now in the OCC.
    I haven't come last in any of them ( Currently 2nd out of 10 in division 3A after 4 games and only team still undefeated ).
    Admittedly the OCC allows stadium enhancements which are a huge advantage for halflings as you get an extra 100K in inducements for half your games.

14. martybhoy

martybhoy Active Member

Country Flag:
    @CariadocThorne
    The Steam summer sale is on now buddy BB2 + DLC is like 66% off

15. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Member

Steam Username:
    RJCarrot
    Country Flag:
    Figures, just got back into the game and bought the upgrade pack a couple weeks ago...

16. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    What are these fixes you speak of? I don't think I bought LE as "Blood Bowl 2 - Official Expansion" shows up for purchase on Steam; if that is it. But do I need it?

You mean you get free bribes? I don't know what you can get that gives you a straight 100K. You buy Stars every game where opponents might not. Did you mean 50K?

17. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If your TV difference is 290 or more you get a chef and 2 stars so you get the star players 100K cheaper and your opponent gets nothing.You only lose out if the oppo has a lower tv and that is unlikely to happen.
    I have played flings for 4 seasons in the OCC and only once have I hired 1 star. Also on 1 occasion my opponent put their own cash in to get a star.
    So in approx 18 home games I have gained 100K more than my opponent 16 times and 50K twice.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Sataric and sbr32 like this.
  18. mamutas

mamutas Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Bug fixes and improvements to UI. Mostly on admin side, but also for playing. It is always better to get the latest version with BB2, as it always was starting with BB1.
    And it is on sale now, IIRC.

19. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    I saw it on sale and grabbed it before it was over. Tested it against the AI, that was still terrible, and it now crashes but it did tell me to update my graphics. I thought that was stupid since it is a brand new com... of course it needs to be updated. Every kick event was high kick. 6 of them, so really random or really bad. It was kind of fun playing with a broken mixed team though.

As long as crashing to desktop was fixed I have no regrets.

And I am still playing BBLE for BB1 leagues.

20. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I have never had the game crash without a hardware problem on my end and have only had an extremely small number of opponent crashes.

The dice and rng are perfectly fine.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    mamutas likes this.