1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC - House of Amber

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Barristan, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    CCXI - House of Amber

Hello everyone,

After my first team blog relating the progress of the Lords of Westeros (Delf as well) in the Francobowl leagues, I tired of them and was pointed towards the Crunch Cup, so I signed up eagerly after 3 months BBless, and here is my new team. I wanted to give another shot at the Darkies as I really loved my first team and I felt I was getting there with them eventually.

After the GoT team, I decided to go for another great saga as a theme, the Princes of Amber from Roger Zelazny. Here is my initial line-up:

4 Blitzers: Corwin, Benedict, Eric, Bleys. Admittedly the 3 greatest swordsmen of the multiverse and my favorite character to complete (Bleys deserves to be here anyway if only for the battle on the stairs of Kolvir).

1 Runner: Random. Seemed fitting for his name and character.

6 Linemen: Gerard, Caine, Julian, Dalt, Merlin, Martin. The remaining brothers plus 3 from the second generation (although Dalt is technically from the first).

2 RR (sigh).

Brand is missing but I wanted to make him my Assassin and he does come late to the story, which suits my plans. Before him should arrive the Witches, Deirdre and Fiona.

Any fans of the saga, let yourselves be known! :)

I landed in Division 3, the least bashy division I have ever joined in a private league: with me are two other Darkies, 2 Woodies, 1 High Elf, 1 Pro Elf, 1 Skaven, 1 Goblin, 1 Norse, 1 Necro and 1 Lizard. I expect some tense games against such a fast and agile selection of teams.

First up is the Necro team from DakaMan, report to follow if we can reschedule as he did not show up tonight.

Nice to be back here, as always all comments and advice are more than welcome.

Cheers! :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Love the Amber stories.

Sad to hear about problems with the match. Could it be that he hadn't updated? We had some trouble with that yesterday, and it sounded in general chat that it was kindof common even today.

/SorroW

3. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    DakaMan had a problem IRL, we will try to reschedule tonight or Monday. :)

4. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Unfortunately I did not find the time to take care of this blog during this season, but I'd like to keep it alive until the next one where I should be able to do better.

To sum it up, I had mixed fortunes in CCX, dropping from 5-1-2 and a good shot at the play-offs to a final result of 5-1-5 which is much less glorious and gives me a spot in the Crunched Cup instead.

I felt I was outplayed quite often and my experience was much greater against bashy team than agile teams (I used to play mostly against Orcs, Chaos and Undead in Francobowl). I also had some bad cases of Nuffling, especially my game against the Norse team where I suffered one dead blitzer, another retired with -AG and a niggle on the 3rd one just after he had rolled +ST. In comparison the 4 starting blitzers of my former team had one -MV between them after 36 games. I litterally dropped the draw or even the victory in MD9 on a failed 3+ that saw Barmution scoring the winner against the odds, got my arse handed over to me on MD10 by another Delf team (0-4, my worst defeat for about a year at least), and got hammered by the Skavs for the finishing game that ended up 3-5.

On the positive side this was a very pleasant season and the team is shaping up nicely despite my usual knack for rolling 7 on my level-ups about 90% of the time.

Here is the current roster (no shiny picture for me):

Bleys - Blitzer - +ST, Dodge, niggle - 16 SPP
    Corwin - Blitzer - Tackle - 9 SPP
    Benedict - Blitzer - Dodge, Strip Ball - 21 SPP
    Eric - Blitzer - 5 SPP
    Random - Runner - Pass, +AG - 23 SPP
    Gerard - Lineman - Wrestle - 12 SPP
    Julian - Lineman - Dodge - 13 SPP
    Caine - Lineman - Kick - 7 SPP
    Dalt - Lineman - Block - 12 SPP
    Merlin - Lineman - Wrestle - 13 SPP
    Martin - Lineman - Dodge - 11 SPP

3 RR, 5 FF, Apoth, 160K in the bank, TV 1460

Quite a few players are about to level-up, which should help a lot. I changed my usual policy of always giving Dodge as first skill to my Linos since I was in a less bashy environment and I feel it worked well to mix in some Wrestle/Block. Really rooting for some Guard/MB though.

I'm also going to rebuy my first Witch, the other one got killed by a Saurus the game after she levelled-up. I will wait to see who's my first opponent in the Crunched Cup beforehand though (I could have bought her before MD11 but two Tackle/MB SVs convinced me otherwise).

5. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    While this is technically true, you might want to mention the 1/1296 turn 8 double-skull RR double-skull that forced me to abandon the 2-1 grind. Unless you want to make it sound like you were really unlucky to lose, in which case you might want to leave it like it is ;)

Anyway, merry christmas and good luck in the Crunched Cup!
    -Barm

6. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    So evil of you to bring fact and truth in to the matter:p

7. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    You're right, this is a team blog after all. Must've been my cold, reptilian heart that got the best of me... :D

8. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, loosing on a greed block is always your choice. So it was just to be expected :p

9. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Doing a greed block was my choice, why would you think I'd choose to lose on it? ;)

10. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Making it means expecting to lose it. This is Blood Bowl we are talking about here :p

11. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    That's what I told him Niko, I think the reply was a word like 'twit' :D

I did not say I was really unlucky to loose, merely resumed the last two turns that decided of the outcome. As said elsewhere, you deserved to win. Now I've had my share of critical quad skulls and while it put you in a difficult situation, I got a heap of crap rolls leading to crippling turnovers.

Anyway, merry Christmas and all the best in the playoffs, bear high the standard of div 3 :)

12. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I know that I kind of deserved to fluff a greed block (great term, btw)...I guess that my peevee here is that I don't think that it's entirely fair to sum up a match result by only one or a couple of critical rolls, although I readily admit that in an isolated context it can be true (and sometimes you just have really crap luck the entire match).

Now get to writing up that Apoca match and be objective about it, Dreamy :D

Edit: Thanks for the well wishes, Barristan, I'll need it if I get matched up against those horrid Dark Elves of Fastshark's.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  13. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    I know it isn't fair. But I was browsing through the blog of my former team today and thought my reports were actually not a bad read (I know... but if not me, who will? :D). I will really try to keep this blog up to date now and hope people will be interested in reading it. That's the best I can offer beside my apologies for concealing (without malice) part of the truth (I must admit that your quad skulls and my 3+ failure followed by your hero play cancelled each other out more or less to end the game with the score I think we both expected).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  14. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    WHAT I do hope you are not sincere when stating in that horrid way that it was without malice. We need malice - we thrive on it:p

15. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    No apologies needed, Barristan, I never assumed that the omission was out of malice - I was just being a little snarky ;). And as a reader of your previous blog I can truthfully say that I will be following this one too.

Have a great christmas!
    -Barm

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Not very likely, is that? :p

17. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    1st round of the Crunched Cup vs Asthetics of Hate (Dark Elves) coached by Hawca.

We played during the regular season and I took the 2-1 win home thanks to a failed 2+ dodge from his Runner on his way to score the second one. Admittedly I had locked him up as best as could so he had to burn his RR to bring in assists, and the throw-in by the crowd favored me. It was a very tense game all the same in a great atmosphere.

For this revenge game, Hawca brought no less than 4 Guard pieces, 3 Blitzers and a Lino, while my most significant improvement on the roster was my AG5 Runner, along with my ST4 Blitzer who missed the first game. I bought a new Witch (Fiona) and he sacked an AC and a CL to bring TV difference to 40, meaning it was a 12 vs 12 affair.

He won the toss and elected to kick after none of us won the FAME. The result was a high kick which made no difference as Benedict, standing behind the LoS, caught the ball straightaway. Despite some very nice :pow:, no armour was broken and I formed a cage on the left side of the LoS, with Benedict passing cleanly to my Runner Random. I infiltrated 2 receivers on the other side, but Hawca decided to ignore them and walled in front of the ball. A 2D block on Bleys (ST4 niggled Blitzer) yielded only :pushback::pushback: and nothing major happened. I KOed a Lino in contact, then blitzed a player away to have a path free of intercepters for Random, and quickly passed to Corwin, who scored the opener T2.

His KO came back, and I setup in a ziggurat before attempting a shallow kick. It landed midfield however and he had no trouble caging his Runner in much the same way I had done. He also KOed a Dodge Lino with a Blitz. I elected to wall as well, putting my guys a square away from his until I failed a dodge and did not RR.

He moved the cage to the other side, and stuck a lot of players to mine, hoping to take advantage of his Guard pieces. I blocked away most of them and closed off his advance as best I could. Which turned out to be not enough as he moved his Runner along the sideline, surrounded by Guard pieces and with two forward players as well. While marking them, I sent Bleys to blitz a Witch and he managed to KO her to stand next to the carrier, while Benedict made 2 3+ dodges and 2 GFI to stand one square from the sideline behind him, hoping to block the onwards rush. To no avail as all his Guard allowed for a lot of 2D blocks, which if none of them was successfull, opened a path needing only a 2+ dodge and a GFI to score, which he managed easily to equalize T5. He confessed he would have preferred to stall longer however.

The Witch kept sleeping while Martin came back, but it was still 11 vs 11. The kick-off gave me a RR (I had used none at this point), and I sent Bleys and Corwin forward on the right side while passing to my Runner with Eric for a lvl-up. This time he surrounded my receivers with 3 players but Bleys refused to go down again. I cleared a path to bring assists, pushed a Guard away, and Bleys blitzed his marker, only moving him backwards, then dodged to make for the end zone. Random ran to the sideline and passed without fear of interception. It was a long pass but he made it perfectly and Bleys caught it for the 2-1 T7. It was highly risky as I had two players in danger of being surfed had I failed.

His Witch was still unwilling to wake-up. He got a Quick Snap that made up for the perfect kick Caine delivered, landing the ball in his EZ. He managed to form a cage in the middle of my half and to pass the ball to his remaining Witch who took shelter in it. However he had two corners in contact with my players, who took one down and used the other one to push the carrier on the side. Benedict the Stripballer went for the 1D blitz, rolling :skull: RR :bothdown:. Luckily this Witch was lvl1 and went down, Corwin caught the rebound. I even started to curse, thinking he was one of his players :rolleyes:. I attempted to protect him as best I could, which proved irrelevant as he threw 9 dice against him without taking him down (on a dodgeless player!).

Half-time 2-1.

His Witch failed to come back again, still 11 vs 11.

He got an extra RR at kick-off and the ball was caught by a Lino 2 squares away from the LoS, on the right side. He caged him midfield on this side. I brought all my guys in a wedge to squeeze him on the sideline, but made a big mistake by leaving Bleys in contact, and with his Guard pieces he managed to surf him next turn for the small price of a RR, the crowd BHed him on the spot. To add to this Dalt inherited a fractured skull during the same turn (Block Lino), which was Apoed to a pinched nerve. Benedict retaliated harshly by fracturing the skull of the remaining Witch on a 1D blitz, but she was Apoed to BH. My wall was still holding although I had no chance to reach the carrier hidden behind his mates.

He kept creeping forward taking advantage of his Guard, but I spotted an opportunity for a surf, which my Witch ruined by rolling :powdodge::pow: on the first block. Next turn he stunned two of my wallers, putting me in a tight spot. I made it worse when Benedict attempted another 1D blitz to contain the advance and rolled :skull: RR :skull:. This led to a surfed Lino (KO) and a cage finally deep into my half. All I could do was surf a lonely Lino mysel (KO), but in doing so I allowed him another one of his own (very clever play), which luckily gave only a stun. I was in no position to force a quick score with my team behind his, but the surf war continued and Fiona sent another Blitzer to the hungry crowd (stun again). He eventually scored T16 for the 2-2.

Overtime.

All his KOs came back, so it was 11 vs 10 for him. I had saved one RR, he had two left.

The kick gave him a Blitz!, which was very bad news to me. He stranded my 6 LoS players with his Guard pieces, and since the kick was in the EZ, moved two players into my half. I lost my last RR on my very first block, getting :skull::bothdown: with a Dodge Lino, and things were looking not so bright. My Runner made the pick-up and retreated in the bottom corner of my half, badly covered by Benedict and Fiona. My first Dodge attempt to infiltrate a receiver failed straight after this.

He marked Benedict and Fiona and swamped my remaining players. Benedict dodged away to get closer to Random, while Fiona attempted to surf his Runner, only to roll :skull::pow: on the first block. I could have attempted the pass to her, but if she was next to 3 other players on the LoS, she was too vulnerable with his Guard pieces around. So I decided to hope for the best - in retrospect this was likely a mistake.

The next move was quite funny. He marked Benedict with a Blitzer, sent his first Witch to assist on Random, and blitzed with the skilless second one. Her colleague intercepted the dump-off, then she rolled :skull::bothdown:, RR :pushback::pushback:, second block :skull::bothdown:. Benedict 1D blitzed the standing one, stripping her of the ball but unfortunately catching the rebound while I was hoping to use my Runner to clear the ball away. He ran upwards a bit and I managed to make a cage around him by bringing back players, although Random had to stand one square away from him as I did not dare the GFI.

My guys were instantly surrounded, and he attempted the 1D blitz with his Witch (3+ then 4+ dodge), which yielded a :pow:! He then picked-up with his Blodge/Tackle blitzer and moved him 4 squares from the EZ. Random marked him, then Benedict 2D blitzed him for a :pushback::pushback:, stripping the ball again. Julian made 2 dodges, 2 GFI, the pick-up in one TZ and the transmission to Random to allow me to think it was still doable. I sent Fiona and Corwin forward as scoring threats (we were T19). While double marked, Random made the dump-off to a Lino who was marked himself and then resisted the block. Hawca engineered a 2D blitz on the new carrier but his Witch rolled :skull::skull:! We were both incredulous by the turn of events at this point.

T20, I had a chance to finish it. I wrestled down a marker on the LoS, freeing a Lino. My plan was to pass to him, then he would hand-off to Corwin for the win. That was 3*2+ rolls, no GFI required. So Fiona blitzed Corwin's marker, rolling :pushback::pushback:, followed by... :skull::skull:.:mad:

It was then all but over. My carrier was surrounded and KOed, and he had 7 players around his own carrier sitting on the EZ. Benedict refused to give up however, making a -2D blitz that yielded :pow::pow: and KOing the Witch!:p Still he had 4 TZs on the ball and even super-agile Random failed to get in. He could then stall until T24 without any danger for his ball carrier.

Final score 2-3 after 24 turns.

Very exciting and hugely enjoyable game. I made a couple of mistakes that proved costly in the end (notably the loss of my ST4 Blitzer), and I couldn't really afford them while facing his Guard advantage. Only praise for my opponent, fair play and very much in control of his actions. He himself felt he could have made more of his Guard but it did help him a lot in the end.

Luck D6 : me 10.00 him 11.27
    2D6 me -7.81 him -11.86
    Block dice me 55% him 52%

So quite even all in all.

The end of the season for the team, two skill-ups to roll to finish. Not a great result (5-1-5 and a loss on the first round of the Crunched Cup) but hopefully they will do better next season now that the basic skills are there - well, it's all down to me really! :)

18. Hawca

Hawca Member

Country Flag:
    Was a great game and an accurate report I feel. A full time 2-2 was a fair result it it took another 6 turns to secure the ball to stall out. Great game, great opponent.

19. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    So my boys landed in Division 3 for this CCXI, pitted against Orcs, Norse, Necro, Darkies, Pro Elves x 2, and High Elves. Which is about as many elven teams as in CCX. Oh well, at least I managed to replace my Tackle Blitzer since he died.

The team prior to MD1:

Bleys - Blitzer - +ST, Dodge,niggle - 19 SPP
    Corwin - Blitzer - Tackle - 12 SPP
    Benedict - Blitzer - Dodge, Strip Ball - 24 SPP
    Eric - Blitzer - Dodge - 6 SPP
    Random - Runner - Pass, +AG - 25 SPP
    Gerard - Lineman - Wrestle, +AG - 17 SPP
    Julian - Lineman - Dodge - 12 SPP
    Caine - Lineman - Kick - 7 SPP
    Dalt - Lineman - Block - 12 SPP (MNG)
    Merlin - Lineman - Wrestle - 13 SPP
    Martin - Lineman - Dodge - 13 SPP
    Fiona - Witch Elf - 0 SPP

TV 1540, 3RR, Apoth, 6FF, 100K in the bank.

MD1 was played against Dionysian Orcs. He tweaked his TV by firing his Troll and hiring a Thrower instead (I think), giving him 160K inducements and thus a Wizard. He also had two replacements against my empty bench. I did not feel confident, also being a bit rusty against Orcs which I find a difficult match-up at best, and I was not disappointed.

He chose to receive and got a Perfect Defence. Things started well nonetheless when I managed to KO his only Tackle piece T1, then surf a Thrower T2, and eventually KO his other Thrower T4. But I also made a stupid 1D block with my ST4 Blitzer, yielding the obvious :skull: and a BH for him. I stalled until T5 and scored with my Witch. In hindsight I should have attempted to stall more.

He had to field his two Gobs as two KOs did not come back. He got a quick snap to help him a bit, and flattened my LOS, getting one stun and 2 KO, plus another KO on his blitz. Down to 7 vas 11 and having no RR left it was always going to be a tense one. I managed a bullshit play with my Runner, dodge in 2 TZ for a 1D blitz yielding :powdodge:, but the ball landed in 3 of his TZ and I could only put one of mine on it, so he managed to score T8, after forcing me to use my Apoth to patch a Lino from -1 AV.

1-1.

My kicker remained KO, he got an extra RR from the kick-off. The second half was a slow and painful grind while my numbers were visibly thinning. He managed to BH my principal threat, my SB Blitzer, then my Witch Elf followed him thanks to his Fireball (1/3 but a BH seems worth it). I think he had another cas somewhere along the way, while all I could do was KO is Tackle piece again (Apoth used) and MNG his Gob. I swamped him on the LOS for 4 turns but his cage eventually went through, I intended a risky 1D blitz with my AG5 Wrestle piece (2+ and 3+ dodge, 2 GFI with team RR only), but rolled snake eyes to dodge my first assist in. He scored T16 and it was over.

Final score 1-2.

Overall he played the grind well, he was somewhat lucky with the casualties and did not fail any important roll but I can't really blame luck either (eh, maybe on the KO events). I missed a Guard piece, a couple of SS and more than anything a bench.

Not such a promising start, MD2 will see us taking on Limdood's Norse. We got absolutely slaughtered last time we played Norse, so here's to hope it will be a bit better this time.

I have a bit of a dilemma though. My Runner got MVP + 2 completions and levelled-up, rolling a nice 5+5.

He has already Pass and + AG. I intended to give him Dodge, but now there are quite a few possibilities on top:

- + MV, always nice.
    - Guard, I really need some and AG5 is good to bring him in position (but no Dodge...)
    - Strong Arm, but tbh with AG5 I will probably skip on any further passing skills.
    - Something else?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, this is definitely not something I roll often :confused:

20. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Well I'm one of your future opponents (the H.Elves) so dunno if I can be trusted here, but I would sorely be tempted by the MV. Once he gets to Dodge that's some guy to run the ball with. That whole AV7 no protection skills thing would put me off actually using the Guard, although it's still a great pick, I'd rather have the extra speed, which thinking about it I do, because I have High Elf catchers. They're not AG5 though... sigh.