1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC - House of Amber

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Barristan, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Cheers Midros, all is going well and I hope yours is doing great too :)

Nikolai, if you happen to read this, I noticed in Crimsonsun's blog you can modify thread titles, and removing the X from CCX in mine would be great (not that it matters much but hey). Thanks in advance ;)

Anyway I rolled two normal rolls and so Corwin got Dodge and Fiona got Block. I am now in desperate need (beside Guard as usual) of more Tackle as I'm going to meet quite a few Elves to finish the season.

Before that are Mikko's Necros. He seems quite out of luck so far but he can still field a ST4/MB Wight, a ST4 Zombie and a Block/MB Wolf. Considering I will have no bench and no inducements to speak of this could be a difficult game.

I am currently sitting on 120K, next planned purchases are a 4th RR and Brand as my Assassin (dunno in which order). Since I have only 10 fit players I will likely keep my money for the time being though, as I can't have more than 11 anyway and I need to keep a bit of cash in case someone kicks the bucket.

2. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks, Niko! For some reason, the Delf logo vanished and I don't have a clue how to put it back on, anyone to help me out?

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Go to advanced mode when editing the first post. Fixed.

4. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    MD4 saw us against the Necro team of Mikko.

60K inducements gave me one Babe, and I won the toss to kick. A High Kick allowed him to cage comfortably and bash down my LoS with little success. I started blitzing with Fiona, going straight for his MB Wolf but could not break armor. He pushed forward a bit and replied with his monster, stunning a Lino, and also attempted a heavy foul on Julian but to no avail. T2 Fiona showed she meant business and BHed a Zombie (regen.). Corwin stepped forward and attempted to see off Cujo (badass Wolf) but could not break armor either. All this blitzing on his back left me spread thinly on the front and he knocked over my rightmost piece to cage on the flank quite deep in my half. He left an opening though when Cujo failed to dodge away to complete his screen, through which Bleys blitzed immediately, stunning the Ghoul carrier. The ball landed in 2 TZs and nobody could attempt to get at it although Eric added his own TZ in the mix. The Necros could not push the Darkies away but Cujo vented his frustration by BHing his main adversary and Fiona was deprived of a rampage this time. They also raised the stakes with 4 TZ on the ball.

Corwin shrugged them off by blitzing a corner onto the ball, which bounced straight into the hands of Bleys. I then wasted a lot of time setting up a block on his ST4 Zombie thinking I had to push him away for the pass, while finally making a dodge and 2 GFI to bring Bleys through the middle and in range of a short pass to Deirdre without any risk of interception. The pass was a success with a RR and the remaining Witch ran out of range of the defenders. Bleys was taken down by Cujo who luckily failed to break his armor, and I elected to score without further stalling as relying on Mikko failing his 3+ dodge the following turn seemed a bad idea.

1-0.

He had three turns to equalise, and got a RR to help him out. Julian was KOed on the LoS and Corwin suffered a broken jaw from Cujo, which I sadly elected not to Apo. I then lost Eric to a KO the following turn, still from the rabid Wolf, and he never came back. He eventually opened a way on my left flank, but under pressure had to rely to a hand-off and a pass to his other Wolf standing in the EZ, with no RR. He failed the last catch, allowing me to surf the receiver with Bleys, but the crowd only stunned him. I had no one in scoring range to make an attempt.

Half-time 1-0.

I only got Julian back and lined up at 8 vs 11. My drive was painful, although I managed to KO a Zombie early, I got swamped in the middle. Bleys was carrying the ball, but he eventually attempted a 1D blitz which came up :skull: RR :pow:. Ball was down and I failed my first dodge the next turn, allowing him a TD T11 with 2 GFI for good measure as he was determined to score fast and play for the win. I also lost Gerard to a BH on the way.

1-1.

7 vs 11 as Eric kept sleeping. This time I made a cage on his flank and left Bleys in my backfield. My thrust got shut down and I botched my attempt to save it, so I had to rely on Bleys to resist a blitz when I moved him to the other side with only Dalt in cover. He managed to stay up when the FG came for him, even with a RR, giving me a chance for an all or nothing attempt. I had eventually managed to dodge Merlin 2 squares away from the EZ after a ridiculous 2*4+, 3+, 2+ dodge streak. He was double marked but escaped (3+, 2+), then Bleys dodged away and made the long pass without needing my last RR, Merlin snatched it with a sneer and it's...

2-1.

Two turns to go, I had 7 players to stop his score, he had no RR. He made the pick-up, and a hand-off to his Blodge Wolf, who runned into a half cage within scoring range. Bleys only needed a dodge and a GFI to 2D blitz him after running around the screen: :skull::skull: RR :bothdown: :pushback:. I marked his screen as best I could with what I had left, but he blitzed Bleys away, leaving him 2 GFI to score the equalizer, and he made them both.

Final score 2-2.

No real disappointment, Mikko played really well and with no bench it was difficult to keep up once I was down by 3 players. We both had a bit of luck and some bad critical rolls, so all in all a fitting result.

D6: 7.55 for me vs 12.00 for him
    2D6: -12.00 for me vs -0.55 for him

I got three level-ups though, Deirdre reached lvl 2 and should take Wrestle, Merlin got his 3rd level and will take Wrestle as well barring doubles, Bleys snatched a well-deserved MVP and is now lvl 4, not sure what I will give him yet.

The division is still very tight except for Kanil who just won his 4th game, everything can happen but with Barninho High Elves and both Pro-Elves team to come I expect a rough end of the season.

5. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    So here is the updated roster after 3 normal rolls:

Bleys - Blitzer - +ST, Dodge, niggle - 31 SPP - normal roll pending
    Corwin - Blitzer - Tackle, Dodge - 18 SPP - MNG
    Benedict - Blitzer - Dodge, Strip Ball - 24 SPP
    Eric - Blitzer - Dodge - 8 SPP
    Random - Runner - Pass, +AG, +MA - 34 SPP
    Gerard - Lineman - Wrestle, +AG - 18 SPP
    Julian - Lineman - Dodge - 12 SPP
    Caine - Lineman - Kick - 7 SPP
    Dalt - Lineman - Block, Dodge - 17 SPP
    Martin - Lineman - Dodge, Wrestle - 16 SPP
    Fiona - Witch Elf - MB, Block - 20 SPP
    Deirdre - Witch Elf - Wrestle - 6 SPP

1700 TV without Corwin, 3 RR, 180K treasury, Apoth, 7FF

I can see 3 options for Bleys, in order of preference: Tackle, SS, Frenzy. I need more Tackle urgently, otherwise I probably would have taken SS first as a Blodge/SS player is so annoying (even more with ST4). Frenzy on ST4 is great as well but with no Guard at all and a Niggle I'm not sure it's a good option for now.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    If you are going to be facing a lot of dodge players soon, then Tackle, otherwise SS.

7. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I read your similar interrogation for your Human Blitzer, and facing High Elves and Pro Elves twice to finish the season, while my only Tackle piece is MNG for a start, I will have to take Tackle, because that's what I need right now (and I can get SS on any roll if he makes it to the next level). Thanks mate :)

8. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    MD5 vs The Phobias Second XI coached by Barninho.

The High Elves have a bench of two, so I decided to call upon Brand for this game. The last of the 9 brothers joined the team with his dark motives and his strange powers over the Shadows. I just hoped I could control him enough to stab the opposition and not his kin.

This brought my TV to 1790 and gave Barn 120K inducements, which he spent on two Babes.

I won the toss yet again and chose to kick, setting up in a central formation with Bleys and Fiona as back sweepers.

I kicked short and Barn got a quick snap to reposition. He caged behind his LoS, following which all his blocks did not manage to down a single one of my players, and he chose to leave his blitzing piece, a Wrodge Lino, one square from the EZ on the right, covered by another Lino one square away on the same line. This proved to be a mistake when the latter was marked, Brand came up for the assist and Fiona rushed in for the surf. She rolled :skull::skull: on the second block but with a RR the Helf left the pitch straight for the grave prepared by the crowd and Barn did not apo.

We then spent three turns moving from side to side while avoiding contact, but the Phobias were kept in check behind my zig-zag line and their blocking did not improve. They eventually sent a forward threat in the guise of a Thrower (?) but Fiona and Benedict kept him at bay.

Then on T4 I started to mark a few of his players, hoping to open up his screen or forcing him to dodge. He lucked out again when an early block burnt his RR for the turn, then dared a 1D blitz on Brand who was holding the left side and got a :powdodge:, but when he finally attempted a quick pass behind his screen to lvl-up his carrier, he fumbled it. The ball was not quite within reach of my players, but I could blitz away one of his TZ and with a few GFI put 3 of mine on the skin. I also went forward and marked heavily his remaining players. During his turn he went straight for the pick-up, to my surprise I must say as he still had options to try and push someone on the ball, even with only 1D. He failed the 5+ with RR but the ball was caught by one of his Catchers. He was surrounded by my players however and taken down along with most of his teammates. Eric scooped it up and ran away with 2 GFI for good measure, while Brand KOed a Catcher with a Stab. T7 and he again went straight for the ball with a Rookie Catcher, making the 3+/2+ Dodges and 2 GFI for the 1D blitz, which came up :bothdown: RR :bothdown:. This was the end and I stalled until T8 while KOing one more player.

Half-time 1-0.

His KOs came back and it was 11 vs 11. His niggled Lino received a stone during the kick-off but was only stunned. I caged and started a push along the sideline. He barred the way quite effectively, although a nifty push allowed me to surf his MB/Tackle/+AG Blitzer with Fiona for a BH. As I could not really go through I finally sent 3 players through the center T14. He marked one and downed another, but it was then easy to blitz away the only piece standing in my way... except I had to use my RR on a :skull::skull:. I decided to go for it anyway, placed two players on either side of the intended receiver just in case and moved Random back and lateraly to pass through the center on the now free of interceptions path to Eric. He thankfully caught it and was a 2+ dodge away (with Dodge skill) from the second, which he scored T15.

2-0.

Barn did not attempt a two-turner, and focused on making a pass to level-up his 15 SPP Blitzer. I'm sorry to say said Blitzer failed the catch after a High Kick event, then failed two pick-ups in a row to end the game still lvl 2.

Final score 2-0, 0 casualties inflicted by either side but two by the crowd helped by Fiona. She also snatched the MVP to keep up with her average of 5 SPP per game... No level-ups but I'm quite pleased Eric scored both to be on 14 SPP and close to lvl-up. I rolled a double 1 for my winnings and got a measly 20K after expenses. My TV being now at 1940, it will be hard to build-up the treasury for a while.

It was not a good game for Barninho, he made a couple of small mistakes he paid very dearly and his block dice was properly appalling at 26%. BBM says:

D6 me 13.33 (21 rolls) him -5.10 (51 rolls) with 4/9 Shadowing, 1/5 pick-up
    2D6 me -3.15 him 40.30!! at 7/10 to break armour (for one KO and 6 stuns though)

This puts me in 2nd place with 8 points, 3 teams at 7 behind me and the other Darkies could be on 9 if they win against the Necros. Kanil still in the lead with 12 despite his defeat this MD5. I'm playing him next and he's looking scary, the Orcs did not even dent his best players so I will have 3 Blodge/SS to contend with, one at ST4 and one with Tackle/DT also.

It's a must win anyway, looking forward to this game.

9. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    if you cage against Kanil the same way you caged against me, you should be pretty good. In my game against Kanil, i felt i had things pretty well under control. The crazy hero play (play of the day in CCC 67) gave him the defensive TD equalizer to match my defensive TD first score. Then i improperly caged (left a single square i could be blitzed from and he got a :pow:) and the double-ball-bounce bug was the nail in my coffin, allowing him an easy pickup and ran so far i failed my GFI blitz to give him a second Def TD.

You're up there on the injuries caused for our division, so if you can keep em rolling in, you should have a good chance vs. the squishier elves.

10. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Congrats on the win man. Definitely that game will not be among my finest memories, but I put it down to being outcoached rather than anything else. Well played.

11. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    @ Barn - Cheers mate, I feel like I played in a very 'by the book' way but I'm glad I managed to not start doing idiotic stuff once I was in control of the game. As for you the dice did not help to say the least and it seems to me you lacked inspiration during the game, which happens to all of us - to me often at least. So I'm sure you'll teach me a few tricks next time we play :) Thanks again for a very pleasant and fair-play game of BB.

@ Limdood - Well the plan is indeed to go for a bashy 2-1 grind. But even if I can cage correctly vs his Elves, two problems arise I did not have with you (I had others to be sure) : I will give him 220K inducements at the minute, meaning a Wizard is almost a certainty, hence the need to go for a loose cage which is always risky vs AG4. And his Blodge/SS/Tackle/DT could make my repositionning very difficult if I can't take him out quickly.

On the plus side, I have 13 players vs his 12, we both have 2 Tackle, 1 +ST and 0 Guard, but I have 8 Blodge/Wrodge pieces vs his 6 and mostly AV8, plus my Assassin could make the difference (the last one I played was properly awesome at crucial times).

Another thing is that I watched a bit of his game vs Dionysian's Orcs last night, and I was really surprised to see how he was marking the Orcs, leaving a lot of blocks to his opponent in a very agressive defense. It nearly paid off when he sacked the carrier T6 and he did not suffer a single injury first half (only one in the second according to BBM), but all the same this will hurt one day or another if he plays like that all the time. I have tried it with Darkies vs Orcs and it did not end well. That being said, he is on 4-0-1 so he must know what he is doing ;)

12. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Like the match reports

Are you saying this isn't SOP for pro elves? I know very little about them, but Tys did pretty much the same thing against me (although he did later call it absurdly aggressive) and I self-destructed around the blodge guard sidestepper.

I'll be watching with interest to see how you handle his DT piece as it was pretty darn annoying.

13. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    Second that. Pro elfs encourage agggressive defense until tje opponentvhas got the ballcarrier into a secure cage. And even then marking him by blitzing a corner away is a good thing to do. It's because omce they can get it loose, they can score pretty much at will.

14. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    seems like the elf defense devolves into one of three alternatives:
    1) get to carrier before the cage develops (the best of the three)

2) harrass the cage by aggressive marking and attempt to force a bad position to then have situation 1 (the most aggressive)

3) column up and stall while dodging away, attempting to blitz specific targets and limit cage movement (the most passive).

with few tackle peices and a lot of blodge, #2 is very viable...

15. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    The best thing is to be flexible and use all 3 though! ;)

If no early opportunity presents itself for 1 I generally prefer to use 3 until I see the right moment to switch gears into 2. Of course it depends on a number of factors (amount of Blodge, SS and Guard on your team versus amount of Tackle, MB, PO and Guard on their team, as well as number of players on the field), but I prefer to keep my options open rather than charge straight in if it can be helped!

16. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    I think that's what seperates the good coaches from the truly great. knowing precisely that moment to go all in and force the turnover.

17. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    Yes, takes a lot of practice. Still have some problems deciding when to switch from 1 or 2 to 3. But that might just be my playstyle, as even that has paid off more often than not. Although against a cage that outgards or outstrenghs you probably just go straight for 1 and if it fails 3.

/Blassc

18. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Lots has already been said and I agree with most of it (hard to disagree with Danton when talking Darkies anyway :p).

To use Fallow's model, vs bashy I normally try 1 first, then switch to 3 if I failed and wait for the occasion to go 2. I've never played Pros (or Woodies) so can't say too much, BUT what I meant is that if you mark agressively every turn it will rapidly leave you with a crippled team. Even if Blodge/SS is a damn good defense, the :pow: will come soon enough and AV7 ain't much.

To illustrate, allow me to recommend one of my replays from my former Delf team. You can find it in the league Crunch Them All, Barristan the Bold vs fredad, Lords of Westeros vs l'espoir est dans la mort (it was actually played in Francobowl but I uploaded it there to have feedback from here).

I actually lost this game, but I really like it as it was one of the most tense I played. The Orc coach was just great, yet I managed to make his life very difficult by using a combination of the 3 described by Fallow. In the end IIRC I marked them very little and took quite a lot of casualties.

Now I'm not saying Kanil's style is wrong (as his results show) but personnally I have found it too damaging for my (AV8) players when playing a truly bashy team. Of course vs my team it would be another story even though I feel like I will have the basher's role in this one.

19. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Well MD6 has been played, and the big clash vs the division leaders was as epic as can be. Bloodiest game of the season, I was eventually outbashed by a team with AV7 and no MB or Guard. I sustained 4 casualties and 7 KOs, ending the game at 4 Darkies vs 7 Pros. Luckily only one perma, -MA on Gerard (AG5 Wrestle Lino apoed from Dead on a healthy foul).

First half I received after loosing the toss and started well in the injuries/KO section by taking out his lvl3 Blitzer with Bleys, -AV apoed to niggle. He kept sticking his Blodge/SS/DT guy on my heels though and I count myself lucky Eldril failed every single one of his Hypno Gaze before being KOed around T4. I then lost Fiona to a KO, Random and Dalt to BHs, and eventually got myself cornered. I lost the ball T6, gathered it back T7 but could not protect it and my carrier was sacked 3 squares from the EZ. Desperation blitz T8 was a no go when I rolled 1 to dodge in my assist with no RR left. He stomped Gerard out T8 (ejected) and KOed Bleys to top it up.

We both got 2 KOs back and it was 8 vs 8, but I was missing my Assassin and my ST4 Tackle Blitzer, him two unskilled Linos. He then could choose to play it resolutely bashy when I lost Fiona and Eric to BH + another Lino to KO in 3 turns, only BHing a Lino in return. I did my best to put him in a tight spot and managed to sack his carrier T14, but the bounce was caught by one of his players. He extracted the ball using Eldril, who failed his passing attempt, but succeeded the loner roll and the second try. It was then over when Corwin rolled a snake eyes on his dodge to attempt a 2D uphill blitz (after 2 GFI) and KOed himself. He scored the winning TD T16.

Luck D6 -3.60 for him vs -3.75 for me (1/3 GFI, 4/9 KO but 7/7 catch).
    Luck 2D6 29.67! for him (16/24) vs 6.47 for me (14/30).
    Block 58% vs 65%

A disappointing result in a must-not-loose game but Kanil played well and I probably could have done better in first half during my drive (not by much with so many depitched mind, but a bit). No lvl-ups as Fiona snatched the MVP again to keep up with her average of 5SPP per game (30 in 6 games, crazy girl).

The road to the play-offs is not closed yet but there are a lot of ifs. Barn would help me by not winning vs Mikko, as we would then both be on 8 points if he draws or I will remain third if he looses. I have to win my last game vs Tys' Pros anyway, and his team looks even more annoying than Kanil's, plus he has 3 lvl-ups to roll. I've defeated him twice in the past but it might be the day of his revenge... It won't be said that we did not fight to the death though! :)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  20. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    yeah...i'm hoping Barn loses too :p

nothing against him, but if he loses, i'll have a playoff spot on a win or draw, if he wins, and then both you and he win your MD7 games, i'll miss playoffs on a draw.

at least my current playoff spot is mine to lose, battling back after those two rough losses (the bug vs. Kanil and the poor play vs. Barn) as no matter what, a win will put me in the playoffs.

I don't envy facing Jorxan Thunder with BOTH of my ST4 linos out....but at least assigning LOS spots will be easy for once!

Also, if barn loses this game, your playoff spot is yours to win or lose as well...if he wins or draws, then he has a say in you getting a spot no matter how you do MD7.