1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCIV - Funk'N'Awesome Blog

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Creamster, May 3, 2011.

1. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    Very interesting on block on the LOS. I mainly see block on guys that do a lot of blocking. I could see him being chained blocked to suffer a second block if the first failed though if you pick block or dodge. I often space LOS 1 square apart to force more enemy on the line and to reduce marking. Something I have considered for a LOS route (if he ever gets Spp that is :) ) is for jump-up, side-step, fend and dodge in that order. Seems mad to skip on the blodge but if they fail to roll 8+ for armour breaks then its a free stab :pow:

You have to consider if you put blodge AV7 on the LOS then the enemy will be putting down a MB tackle piece (also could have frenzy and pile-on for extra punch!). This kind of rules out dodge as a first skill. With block as a first skill chances are you will then be blocked again if it comes up :bothdown: :pushback: from the killer, by another clown next to him. With jump-up you accept your going down but will stop you being marked (so dodge isn't needed as much) and can still be used for catching or defence quite well.

Not sure I could be man enough to put a 130 TV Av7 on the LOS though ;) Line elfs with Dodge/Fend/SS seem better for this.

2. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I'd put them on the LOS when receiving for the free stab but never when kicking for that reason. I think even an AV7 team would have a go at getting him off the pitch and be quite grateful to have the chance to get one of your weaker players hit.

I tend to use Assassins as deep-lying safeties just because it's easier to protect them there.

3. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    As Barninho is saying, when you're receiving, it sounds nice to have them on LOS. Otherwise, it just screams "kill my assassin".

If they have dodge, be sure the killers on the other side will have tackle. And since you probably won't buy the assassin in your first games, it's quite probable that your opponent will have a couple (if not more) dedicated tackler ready to feast on your assassin's corpse.

4. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    Well yeah I suppose it is situational.

Putting him up against a MB, Tackle, Frenzy player may not be the best idea.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    By the way, you have me on Day 3 ;)

6. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Be careful the advice that you give - he now has 2 Assassins (a little surprise for me in our match earlier today). They caused me a lot of concern on the pitch, but didn't do much. I did focus on blitzing them/staying out of their tackle zones though, so perhaps psychologically they scored some armour breaks :)

7. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    Well you had that option when playing poncey elves with Ag4.
    But I won't be able to dodge away at all :(

I suppose I'll just have to smash their faces in. ;)

8. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    Only down to 1 assassin now as I sacked the new one after the game. I needed a 2nd sub (and I am very glad I did!!) as my kicker was MnG. I didn't want another line-elf just in case the mvp landed on him. Seems like a waste of 90 Gp but I thought they would add a lot of value vs the elves.

After I watch the replay I will post a match report! :skull:

9. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    CCIV Game 2

Narly - Pro Elf TV 1570

2 Blitzers (Dodge/Guard, Dodge), 4 Catchers (Dodge/Wrestle, S4/Dodge, Block), 2 Throwers (Accurate/Dodge), 4 Lines (S4, Kick, Dodge). 3 RR's and 1 Kinky Elf beer Babe!

With Narly being 20 higher in TV and me needed a 2nd sub I decided to blow 90k on my 2nd assassin. The previous game saw Narly beat me 4-1 earlier in the session and I planned to not let the same happen again. Getting the catchers was my main aim to force a shut-out.

First Half

Narly decided to receive as I set up quite a distance from the line. My aim was to get the tackle pieces to hopeful mark or blitz as they come through. A quick snap saw my plan go to ruin but luckily a lot of :pushback: 's were rolled by Narly to stop me suffering. My elves got a bit too eager for blood and broke formation (I did KO a blitzer which was nice :) ) which allowed a breakthrough with his S4 carrier catcher and an assistant 4 squares from my line! Knowing I needed a tackle piece to bring him down, a guard elf moved into position while my only non-dodge blitzer luckily dodged out and sacked him from behind (a stun to boot!). To complete his glory he then managed a GFI and a pickup, under 1 tackle zone, to stop any crazy hero play.

This however didn't stop the hero play as the assistant catcher then 2D against blocked my carrier and it came up :powdodge: :powdodge: :( This made the ball fall out of bounds and thrown back into my left side, which another catcher strolled over and picked up (gah soo many!!). I made short work of this play as I got the ball and continued up field. The elves then marked all of my guys so I switched over to my right and formed a new formation. A rash blitz by the S4 catcher got a :bothdown: :bothdown: which BH a guard elf, but allowed me to push the ball within TD distance. I tried to cover the carriers rear and a failed GFI BH my 2nd guard elf :( A last turn saw his guard blitzer run up for the assist while a carrier went in for the block. A :pushback: :pushback: came up and my player neatly Side-stepped away. I held my breath as a blitz pushed the marker away for a last turn score!

Second Half

I thought I would take this slow while I tried to bash my way up. A perfect defence ruined this however and I was forced to back away. I formed a little castle on my right waiting for a perfect counter attack. Just when I thought I was gaining an advanatage a rush by Narly saw a blitzer KO'd and then an Assassin BH, as well as marking my carrier. Knowing I couldn't knock the S4 line-elf away easily I opted to form another cage in the centre of the pitch and luckily my runner made the dodge! For Narlies turn a second blitz saw another BH assassin and then remarked my cage. With 4 turns left and down 3 players I knew I couldn't hold him back if he got the ball, so I hugged the right side-lines to burn the time down. A scrum started in the middle and on the right which saw some more elves KO'd and his S4 line elf killed himself!! Luckily the apoth went in to fix him up much to my disappointment :rolleyes:

Turn 15 came and a blitz on the runner eventually happened. I choose to use dump-off and it finally worked!! I believe that is once out of six tries! My unmarked wrestle line elf held the ball above his head in victory ... who was then promptly sacked next turn :)

Win 1-0!

It was a tough game especially losing two guard elves in the first half. It was a hard climb to knock down the S4 elves without them. These two players managed to knock away my weaker elves time and time again. Losing 3 elves in 2 turns really killed the game for me and I couldn't risk going for the 2nd TD. Careful planning, and lucky dodge dice, allowed me to hold on.

Although I was happy I had 2 subs, both of the assassins were very poor. Only one stab between them, they were really the weak link in my team. I wanted to use blitzing stab more but couldn't :( With my wrestle kicker back now, now with a new limp ;), I decided to drop one of them as they cost too much TV to have sitting on the line.

Funk'N'Awesome - 3 RR's, 1 Apoth - TV 1640

Blitzer - Block, Dodge, SS
    Blitzer - Block, Dodge, Tackle
    Blitzer - Block, Tackle
    Blitzer - Block, Dodge
    Runner - Dump-off, Dodge
    Linemen - Wrestle
    Linemen - Wrestle, Kick, -1 MV
    Linemen - Guard, Dodge
    Linemen - Guard
    Linemen - Guard
    Linemen -
    Assassin -
    Witchelf -

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  10. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Nice summary. I dont think i have anything to add. My lack of tackle hurt and meant i wasnt able to knock down your guys effectively (although i did cause a surprising number of casualties).

A very patient and well played game by Creamster. Now that he's at 2 from 2, it looks like his Delf will likely be going through to the 2nd round, bar an upset.

11. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    I have 7 players with dodge and without tackle there were a lot of :powdodge: thrown against them. The 1 dice blitz on the carrier and pickup was very lucky as I had to dodge into a Tackle zone beforehand (and you rolled a :pushback: :pushback: block on him which left him standing :) ). A 1-1 result would have been more fair, but I might have had a better time punching your elves in you did score on turn 3, so who knows :confused:

I did make one mistake I feel and that was not continuing up field on turn 5 when I pushed over to my right side instead, as it looked safer ;) At most I would have taken a 1 dice block blitz. I figured I couldn't give you another 2 turns to score so decided to try and burn the turns. Im glad I fought the urge to run out with my runner and witch. I know you would have just dodged away and sacked him for a quick turn around.

1 more win should put me through, but I predict a draw vs thanatos, lose vs snotty and lose vs coachman (his luck will turn very soon). Still expecting it to be tight...

12. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    While our last game probably should have been a draw, your team has come a long way since that game.
    I watched your game versus Narly and that is a scary team. Though i do feel for Narly the number of :pushback: he got seemed excessive.
    Three Guard linemen is amazing!

I would consider myself lucky to pull a draw out of our game tonight.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  13. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    CCIV Game 3

Thanatos - Necro TV 1480

2 wolves (Block/MB, Block), 2 Ghouls (Block), 2 Wights (Tackle, Guard), 2 Golems (both on 4 Spp but unskilled :-( ), 5 Zombies (2x Block), Igor and 1 Kinky Undead Elf beer Babe! 4 RR's....

First Half

I decided to kick and the DE fans who Ag broke one of the wights in our last game, showed up and proceeded to hurl beer cans at one of the wolves. Luckily this time it was only a stun and the Undead team moved the ball down forming a cage behind the central LOS. The opening blocks caused my wrestle lineelf to be KO'd and another was stunned! I reacted by trying to seperate the slower players on the line with the faster cage, but a failed dodge cut my turn slightly short. The cage was formed in the centre and I started to apply some pressure on the cage sides. Several attempts to swat the Side-stepper failed and he continued to dance around until a golem rolled a :bothdown: :bothdown: twice (!) leaving the carrier next to a tackle blitzer. Using guard the 2D block was good and the ghoul was taken to the ground while a guard piece caught the ball when it luckily landed on him. The wight tackler who was marking the new guard carrier was then promptly BH. With a lot of the Ag2 players tied up the only guy who could get the carrier was the block ghoul but nuffle appeared as the ghoul failed the dodge roll and ended up dead! This is the second time Thanatos has had a ghoul killed by a bad dodge against me. With this is was impossible stopping the drive and I cooly managed a pass to arabella the witch-elf so she could get the 3 Spp for a skill up on turn 5.

Leaving 3 turns to score Thanatos could have done it but a riot then shortened this to 2 turns and was impossible to get one in. This did however result in another line elf being KO'd... bah

Second Half

Kick-off again went in my favour as an invasion happened leaving 5 Necro players and 7 DE players standing. I took advantage of this by throwing the ball to a guard line-elf and moving him up with a tackler blitzer for a quick score. Fortunately a ghoul managed to un-shadow himself from the assassin as a wolf blitz'd him down. My magnet hands came into play as the blitzer got the ball when it bounced to him. With this I managed to get away and slow the undead tide to get a TD in on turn 3.

For Thanatos's drive he then got a RR to give him an impressive 5 for 5 turns :D And then KO'd 2 more of my LOS (a total of 4 KO's from the start of his drives!). He was very agressive as a wolf rushed past and my attempt on the box failed. The other wolf carrier then ran around my line of players but the pass, and RR, was bad! My players jumped all over it trying to free up the ball but the ball landed on a golem who caught the bouncing ball! My attempt to knock him down failed and although he was surrounded by blitzers he managed to blitz and dodge his way out! He needed two GFI's and the first one failed which was quickly RR'd... The last roll for a consolation goal, and a much needed skill, also came up a 1!! The golem fell to the ground as the ball went out of bounds. It eventually ended up near a small group of players and Arabella then tried a much undeserved score but failed the pickup...

Win 2-0!

It was a game were dice were bad by each side, but Thanatos's bad dice cost him a ghouls life and a TD. The score line isn't very fair as I was given a TD and one was taken away from Thanatos. (Lets call it 1-1? ;) )

My biggest fear the MB claw wolf didn't really do much in the game. I guess this was as the other wolf was KO'd for most of the game, and with the dead ghoul there was a lack of Ag3 on the pitch so he was needed elsewhere. Guard and dodge helped me out massively in this game as I was able to chain push the carrier into contact with a tackle piece (although the guarders were battered several times...). The Side-stepper was a constant thorn in Thanatos's side. If Thanatos wins his next 2 games he can still go through so there's something to play for...

I managed to get 2 normal skills in the game. One for Arabella which I think has to be block, the other is for a blodge blitzer. Seeing how effective SS has been in the last two games its an easy pick (although a little boring). Facing Snotties Skaven next game so shouts out are also for Tackle, Diving tackle and jump-up (I love this skill :) ).

Funk'N'Awesome - 3 RR's, 1 Apoth - TV 1690

Blitzer - Block, Dodge, SS
    Blitzer - Block, Dodge, Tackle
    Blitzer - Block, Tackle
    Blitzer - Block, Dodge, (skill up)
    Runner - Dump-off, Dodge
    Linemen - Wrestle
    Linemen - Wrestle, Kick, -1 MV
    Linemen - Guard, Dodge
    Linemen - Guard
    Linemen - Guard
    Linemen -
    Assassin -
    Witchelf - (skill up)

14. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    When the ball was thrown from your end zone to just spaces from my end zone, I would have bet the house on your Witch scoring.
    But I guess Nuffle decided I had suffered enough ;)

Though not enough to let me do the Hero play of throwing the ball back the length of the pitch (6+ with RR) for a second consolation TD attempt. Even if the WW had caught it I would probably still have tried handing off to the Golem for that much needed level.
    One thing I thought was nice, was making Stand Firm an optional skill. By choosing to turn it off for one block you ended up actually moving my Golem closer to the line :D

The Magnets comment came about because on two separate occasions a loose ball bounced in the one direction that there was a DE player to catch it. :eek:

I go to all the trouble of getting an Igor and he is useless for Ghouls. :(
    But I suppose that Ghouls vulnerability is a designed weakness for the Undead Teams which are generally strong otherwise.
    But at least my other Ghoul managed to pass the ball 3 times (!) to get to 3SPPs. :)
    Hopefully a TD in his next game will get him levelled too.

As for Skills:
    I also can't see past Block for the Witch Elf.

As for the Blitzer, if you would prefer to go a different direction to SS some thoughts...
    Only 1 Tackle player is never enough so there is that.
    Jump Up is probably not that useful on a Blodger as one would hope that they don't hit the ground that often.
    Diving Tackle is more of a Linesman skill imo.

But Sure Hands seems to be a fairly rare skill so Strip Ball might be handy.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  15. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Your Blitzer needs Side Step to give you a Blodge, Side Step Blitzer for each half of the pitch.

I would take Wrestle on your Witch and Tackle at her next level with a Normal roll.

16. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    Seeing as I'm facing Coachman next (I thought it was snotty :( ) during the last game I struggled to open up space against the Nurgle team. With this in mind I had to take SS on the blitzer (to open up cages easier) and I broke my number 1 rule of taking block over wrestle on the witch... 6 Spp witches are a dime a dozen anyways ;)

The first game involved the cage pushing down and the beast rolled :skull: :bothdown: on my blitzer who was marking the carrier. This BH the beast and allowed me to sack the carrier and stop the first drive. My second drive I was down a couple of players but a sly dodge by a line-elf in the TD allowed a throw from the half way line (4+ throw). Luckily it was good for a 1-0 win. There is a lot more MB on the team so I am expecting to take some Cas's :(

17. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    It does synergise with Jump Up though, which is nice.

18. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Too many Dark Elf Coaches fear putting the Witch Elves in harms way.

They are perfect for taking down players you absolutely want down. Wrestle all the way. You have 4 Blitzers if you need Block.

19. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Wrestle and Leap are two core skills for the witch and then of course +ST and +AG and you are home safe and dry until she dies next match:D

20. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    For me, Leap is never a core skill. I love Leap, but I only take it on a player that already had Agility 5. It's inherently a high risk play, so I like it to be as reliable as possible. 2+ and I always try to have a RR available if I'm planning a Leap.

For my Witches, Wrestle, Tackle, Side Step is the core progression.

They love Doubles and Stats, but without unusual improvements I'm perfectly happy to have 2 Witches with Wrestle, Tackle, Side Step. I would possible go Wrestle, Tackle, Strip Ball with the 2nd Witch if the first already had Side Step.