1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCV team entry

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Netsmurf, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'll try for the "Annoying Git" award then. :p

But we'll see, my only previous game with Amazons was a lucky one. (Way back several editions) so maybe I'll still get some lucky kills? ;)

2. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I find Amazons to be a great team out of the box and they tend to get a lot of CAS because they often stay on their feet and can then block whoever tried to hit them. 'Cause of all that dodge they 'feel' lucky, and really it's the offence that's the harder part. I wouldn't make the mistake of trying to pass and play a running game with the ball carrier screened off by your blodgers. With 'zons the opponent often ends up wasting his re-rolls trying to knock players down. I also wouldn't try dodging if I can help it, or at least leave it till the last move of the turn. It helps to think of Dodge as a protection skill with the girls rather than an aid to mobility. Obviously Dwarfs is the worst possible match-up as you aren't quite fast enough to pull them out of position and they have the players to knock you over. Having said that, against pretty much any other race you are going to be a really tough game. Amazons are a good team for a comp like this if you can get the offence right... and you will certainly be an annoying git.

3. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I concur with what Barn says, but i would perhaps consider a passing match vs Dwarfs. I just dont see how a caging offense will work against them with your Zons and I think you will be forced to do a passing play or turn over the ball. With pass and catch skills, its a somewhat reliable option.

In CCIII i played as Zon for the first time ever and ended up coming 3rd in the entire comp! They are a great team for short leagues. Good luck and i will try to kill a Dwarf for you.

4. Barninho

Country Flag:
    Like I said, that strategy all falls apart against Dwarfs but it's not bad against most others...

5. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    What you have to remember with Zons against Dwarfs is that the Blitzers, Runners and Slayers don't have dodge and try and manufacture situations where they are the only players marking the players who need to dodge.

You also need to be lucky (or your opponent unlucky) but with some well organised blocking/chain pushes it is possible to do well against Dwarves.

Against other teams a caging running play is the way to go, I reckon thinking of them as less agile Dark Elves who stay on their feet more is the way to go. Use your Throwers as main ball handlers and have your Catchers available for the pass if it becomes neccessary. The good thing is most of your rerolls are built in so rerolling key blocks isn't a bad idea in most games.

6. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like good and solid advice. Thank you all. :)
    So far I've only learned to play a passable Wood Elf game, and there dodging away is king, but getting hit is not. I can see how Amazons actually have the opposite. Just hope I'll get something good out of it. :pow:

7. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    Damn work, I missed my chance!

8. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Hi Slyspy,

I really dont want to participate in CCV, so am happy to drop out and you replace me. I just submitted a team because they were short on numbers, but its going to be really hard for me to find time to play with a 3-week old and 2 year-old.

So make a team and submit them and then i will remove my one.

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Oh noes, my possible mid-game walkover. :bothdown::p

You'll have to apply with a 'fling or 'lin team then, mmok? ;)

10. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Narly you need to drop out before Slypsy can apply with a team. Just let me know if this is going to happen?

11. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Heh was not looking forward to playing vs deeproot and a chef anyway :D

But yeah please confirm you want in and let us know what team you want to play. You will be in group 4 with the cool people :D.

12. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    I've just confirmed with Slyspy that he will replace me. So i will resign my team this evening and he is going to apply with his new team tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  13. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Ok we will let him in, thanks for your short but undefeated comeback with Flings:D

14. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Yeah, its great to maintain an undefeated win record with my Flings! ;)

I just resigned from the cup then. If someone drops out (hopefully not) my Flings can always fill in if required. Until then I will trust that Raven adequately represents the Fling department.

15. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks to Narly for the chance to take part. I'll not be using Halflings, but having never used them before I think my Human team will be just as bad. I just need a theme and some names....

Edit:

Done! Now can someone point me to the rules/stucture for the Cup?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  16. Barninho

Country Flag:
    This week you have until next Monday to arrange your first game in the appropriate thread. There are six teams in each group and then we go through to the knockouts, which are now seeded I think.

Either you or your opponent have to upload the replay of each game to bbmanager and from Monday a new week will start each Monday.

Your first game is against Maxcarrion and his dwarfs which to be fair is about as tough a match as you could possibly dream of to start. You can arrange your game in the thread for group 4.

Otherwise I think the only rules we have are to try and enjoy the thing.

17. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    ok accepted you into the CCV now.

Good luck in your first match.

18. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    I ll be back at my pc by the weekend of the 23rd july, so if there is a replacement need I d like to propose myself to the waiting list. In a 24 team league chances are someone will have to drop sooner or later... :D

19. Strobinator

Strobinator Member

Country Flag:
    Hey guys. I wanted to wish you all well in CCV. I am moving across the country in a couple weeks - things have been hectic as of late. That said, I may be able to replace someone you lose to attrition later in the season. If not, I will almost certainly be in for CCVI!

20. Barninho

Country Flag:
    Nice one Strobinator. It'll be good to have you back.

Good luck with the move mate...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.