1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chaos Chaos Consume Us! New Chaos Strategy Guide

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by FrankNStein, Jun 3, 2013.

1. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    The difference is that having Str 4 and Av 9 with Guard standing up at the end of your turn is a lot more useful than having Str 3 and Av 8 with Guard standing, while your Str 4 players are on the ground. The stronger your Guard players are and the harder they are to move, the more blocks you get in.

2. FrankNStein

FrankNStein New Member

Country Flag:
    If you are playing against another clawpomb team, you dont want your Warriros standing.... ;)

Furthermore, you dont HAVE to Pile On. I discuss this later in the guide under 'when to Pile On'. If it is more beneficial to have the Warrior standing, leave him standing. I recommend taking Guard on the Warriors, just not on your second skill.

Getting multiple two die blocks with your killers should be your top priority. The St4 with the spammed Goats Guard back up will keep that flowing. Remove, players from the pitch, reduce their assists. It compounds.

Do you play on FOL or FUMMBL? Would love to check out your teams.

I'm Frank N. Stein on Cyanide.

Best,

C

3. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    The issue with using goats as guard, is that with str 3 they can just be blocked, while str 4 is more difficult. You also need to account of Ma 1sq may not seem like much but its the difference between keeping up with the offence - This is the whole reason I field 3 wrestle skeletons on my khemri side to put bash teams guard assists on the floor, allowing me to breeze though and out str my opponents.

As you say different strokes for different folks, but maybe you should look at both sides of the coin in your article...

4. FrankNStein

FrankNStein New Member

Country Flag:
    Again, I suggest taking guard on Warriors. Just later in development.

I also suggest making 1-2 Beastmen Killers.... 1-2 Utility Warriors.

Arguing over semantics I suppose.

Its easier to pick something apart then write something.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  5. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    I always remember the perpetual leagues being all about the bash, primarily because there isn't anything to win and so team development becomes the only purpose.

6. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    Clarification of "perpetual league" in the sense I applied it earlier:

A structured league where coaches can play a single team in perpetuity, such as OCC or UKBBL.

I wouldn't dignify MM with the word "league". ;)

7. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I've only played on FUMMBL once or twice and didn't like the game client, so I haven't been back there. I do have quite a few teams in FOL and some in Nagg, but mainly I play in private leagues, where I tend to play scheduled games once or twice a week. I generally only play MM to scratch the BB itch from time to time and can't see the point in devoting a lot of time and or energy to developing one main MM team, as it's a poorly conceived format, where competition is virtually meaningless.

By all means feel free to check out my teams. I tend to play more with elf teams than with Bash teams, but I like to try out all of the races from time to time and have teams for every single race in the Cyanide client. My user name there is the same as here.

8. FrankNStein

FrankNStein New Member

Country Flag:
    Ah, fair enough...

I dont play OCC as the time difference is brutal. I have played and done very well in BBNA and USAB.

I enjoy the consistent games in MM 'leagues'.

9. FrankNStein

FrankNStein New Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks Danton- will do.

Best of luck.

C

10. FrankNStein

FrankNStein New Member

Country Flag:
    One things I disagree with. I try and have 3-4 teams in the top 20 of FOL every season. For that to happen I cant lose more than 2 times with any team. So the matches aren't meaningless.

11. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I just think that matching teams up by TV and playing them over and over again does not lead to an interesting competition. The rules of Blood Bowl were never designed for that format and the fact that it greatly favours certain races over others and encourages those races to sit in certain TV brackets makes it even worse.

If you set yourself a target each season in FOL and enjoy that, then that's great, but I could never enjoy doing something similar. I'd much rather take a rookie team through a long term league, where the game is played more in accordance with how it was designed (inducements) and where long term rivalries and a sense of Community go hand in hand.

My Dark elves won the OCC after 14 or 15 seasons in the league. I have won other private leagues and tournaments with other teams in the Cyanide client. To me taking a team through a proper league format is a worthwhile journey, both for me and my players. Even if the team is not ultimately successful, it still feels like it's part of something bigger. I could never feel anything remotely similar from an MM format.

12. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    One critical aspect of league play versus MM is inducements.

I mainly play Undead in OCC and have a decent track record with them against developed Chaos teams. I like my team to be a little lighter than my opponent, which is usually a given considering the relative player costs.

The first 100K makes a difference when you can buy a pair of babes. Faced with ~15 players (11 of whom regenerate) and some heavy duty fouling, CAS-focused Chaos usually struggles to get the upper hand in the attrition war and this is amplified when your opponent's KOs AND CAS keep coming back. At 250K disparity, they'll be facing a wizard on their offensive drive as well.

Meanwhile I'm running DP, Fend, and a decent amount of Guard, Mighty Blow, Blodge and Piling On. So far it's always made for an entertaining matchup.

I think it's a rock-paper-scissors scenario. Assuming vaguely equal coaching skill, give me 2K Undead vs 2K+ Chaos I'd expect to win, but find the equivalent orc team much tougher to beat while expecting the orcs to lose to the Chaos, albeit hopefully with massive injuries on both sides!

EDIT: I also think the Clawpomber's biggest weapon is fear. Too many coaches (especially at high TV) become attached to their players and when confronted with a killer squad will focus on protecting their favourite players instead of using them to win. Danton is more qualified than me to talk about that however, having played against a lot more big Chaos teams with considerably squishier players. ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  13. FrankNStein

FrankNStein New Member

Country Flag:
    Oh ive played leagues, mostly TT. But I did win BBNA Mishief 2 seasons in a row, and lost the third season in the finals.

I just love BB. Like to play as much as I can.

thanks for the input.

C

14. FrankNStein

FrankNStein New Member

Country Flag:
    Doomy- this is spot on. A Undead team with babes at that TV is very difficult to beat.

I also agree with the 'fear' aspect. Its a game, you can always make new player. I understand being attached to a player, but its either a pixel, or a roster sheet, let it go man...

15. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    The key when playing against min-maxed teams in matchmaking is always to let them score. They are then less likely to quit as you hover around their cherished level 7 CPOMB warrior with your dirty player and his 7 mates.

Just ignore the ball and foul like a shit. Always works for me.

16. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    I'm pleased you agree with my little essay above, Frank, as you're coming at it from the "other side" as it were. My thoughts above are just me speaking from personal experience without seeing much online discussion of this particular matchup, and that's not a huge sample size to base theories on.

Most threads contemplating the dreaded C-acronym just devolve into people ranting about this or that being "OP" and Dode posting reams of statistics. ;)

It's good to know there are other people who feel CLAWPOMB has bad matchups that aren't elves.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  17. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    On the subject of "fear", I will confess to shutting my eyes on occasion when I see a horrible clawed beastman charging towards my best player.