1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chaos Pact Chaos Cup Pact team suggestions

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by Snap Wilson, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Snap Wilson

Snap Wilson Member

I've never entered an NAF tournament before and I have some time off coming, as well as my wife and I having friends in Chicago, so I thought I would try to make the Chaos Cup this year. And what better team to take to the Cup than a Chaos Pact team?

But I haven't done a resurrection tournament in ages, and never with the Pact. Here are the rules:

• You are given 1,000,000 gold pieces to build your team. You may purchase players, rerolls, fan factor, coaches, and cheerleaders as normal with this money
    • Wizards, Journeymen, Special Play cards, and Mercenaries are NOT ALLOWED
    • You may purchase any other inducements for your team, including Star Players
    Note: If you are including a Star Player, you must have 11 players on your team BEFORE hiring him. Having 10 players plus a Star is not allowed.
    Remember: You cannot have the same Star Player as your opponent, if both of you attempt to field the same player, then both of those players sit out for this game. Also, you cannot use Igors or Apothecaries on Star Players.
    • After team is built, you are given +150,000 gold pieces to buy Normal and/or Doubles skills
    Skills Normally available to that player type cost 20,000 each
    Skills that would require a doubles Roll cost 30,000 each
    You MAY NOT purchase any stat upgrades
    • You may give each player up to 2 additional skills
    (ie Human Blitzer can be given Mighty Blow & Dodge in addition to already having Block)
    • Your team may only take up to 4 of each skill total
    (ie 4 Dwarf Blockers can be given Guard, but you cannot give Guard to anyone else)
    • You may not choose the Leader skill

One thing I'm not clear on is do you roll for winnings after each round and upgrade your team or does it just reset to your original roster? I think it's the latter, but not sure.

For the initial team construction, these are basically the following options:

1. Full roster with all three monsters, only two rerolls (50k left over).

2. The same as above, drop the Dark Elf for a Marauder and get three rerolls (0k left over).

3. Same as #1, drop the Troll for a Marauder and get three rerolls (40k left over).

4. Same as #1, drop the Mino for a Marauder, four rerolls, 10k left over.

#3 or #4 are obviously the smart play, but part of me thinks that if I'm going to bring a Chaos Pact team, I should have the full flavor. If I did go with Option #1, should I spend that extra 50k on an apothecary? An extra Marauder? Fan factor? What works best in a Resurrection tournament?

There are many options for the skills and I don't really have a solid grasp of what to do. Initial thoughts:

Ogre - Block
    Mino - Juggernaut
    Dark Elf - Block, Dodge or Wrestle
    Marauder - Block or Wrestle
    Marauders - Guard x2
    Marauder - Sure Hands (or Extra Arms)

Or one of these could be swapped out for Two Heads for the Goblin, but that seems more like a luxury.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    You won't be rolling winnings, the team resets each game.

I'd would certainly take the Dark Elf and give him Block and Dodge. Gives you a great ball carrier on a fairly unreliable team.

I wouldn't bother with Sure Hands on a Marauder, I would think another Block / Wrestle player would be more useful over the course of a game.

What's your "full roster" include? Is that just 11 players inc a Goblin? I'd certainly take an Apothecary, can save a big guy or your Dark Elf. 11 players is a little risky but like you said if you are taking Pact why not take all three big guys!

It does give you three ST5 players which can provide some protection and their Mighty Blow may help you get a numerical advantage which will be really useful.

3. Snap Wilson

Snap Wilson Member

Thanks, Coach!

That is a thought. My only worry is that 150k in skills gives me six normal skills plus one double. The double is the Block on my Ogre. If I give two skills to the dark elf, that only leaves four for everyone else. Still worth it, you think?

Yeah, the full roster includes the Gobbo. And this was pretty much my thought. If I'm bringing CP, may as well commit to it.

So here's what I'm looking at right now:

Ogre - Block
    Mino - Juggernaut
    Dark Elf - Block and Dodge
    Marauder - Wrestle
    Marauder (x2) - Guard

Alternatively, I might trade in the Guard for some more Block and Wrestle.

One other option is trading one of the above for Big Hand on the Goblin to have him work as a ball retriever. Right now I figure on using him basically as a mobile assist/potential one-turn TD. Not sure it's worth anything more to give up one of the above.

4. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    You could perhaps drop a Guard for Block and maybe overall Juggernaut for another Block may work better.

I would 100% take Block and Dodge on the Dark Elf though.

5. Snap Wilson

Snap Wilson Member

Terrific. Thanks, Coach!

6. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Consider wrestle on the skaven, his extra MA makes him good as a safety. If you give the mino jugger then you have desided to do your blitzing with it, perhaps take claws on it also.

So mino, claws and jugger = 50k
    DE = Blodge = 40k
    60k left, perhaps just go with block on the big Guys:confused: It would ad some reliability to the team, but you would still be depending on 2+ rolls.

But I do feel that this format is made specific for the Amazons, with Rosanna Brokenbranch - cant remember her real name:powdodge:

7. Snap Wilson

Snap Wilson Member

Great minds think alike, Smurf... and so do we. Yeah, Wrestle definitely for the Skaven. As for the rest, I don't want to double up any more than the Dark Elf. This team is pretty naked as it is.

Right now, I'm looking at:

Ogre - Block
    Dark Elf - Block and Dodge
    Marauders (x2) - Block
    Skaven - Wrestle
    Marauder - Guard

I'm going to practice with this for a couple of weeks and see how it goes (don't have to turn in the roster until 8/23). The plan is a conservative, positional defense; a plodding, methodical offense; and prayers to Nuffle that Mighty Blow is working when I come up against Norse or Elves.

8. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    How about swapping Block on a Marauder for a Juggernaut on the Mino? If you intend to blitz with him until he falls off the pitch?

9. Snap Wilson

Snap Wilson Member

I usually save the Minos for end-of-turn blitzes, assuming I haven't used one yet, and doing so won't put him in a bad position (the combination of these two things doesn't happen a whole lot). I don't know if the skill is worth it for all of that at the expense of another Block piece. In any case, it is an alternative if this lineup isn't working out, and potentially it does free him up for one of the two final round mutations, wherein I will bestow Claw upon him and let him go absolutely nuts.