1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chaos Dwarf Chaos Dwarf start roster, team development and tactics

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Meister P, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    Since there seem to be no thread concerning Chaos Dwarfs I decided to start one. Further; I've been looking around the net, but all guides and tactics about Chaos Dwarfs seem to be based on LRB3 - the golden age where our re-rolls were only 50k...

Oh, well! This is supposed to be a general thread about how to set a team, what to do when advancing, game strategies etc. Basically; anything goes as long as it's Chaos Dwarf related!

Enough said! I'll start by asking the million gp question: How should the Chaos Dwarf start roster look? (I have a few ideas myself, but as not to bias the discussion I'll leave it open - for now..)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    My preference now you don't need to buy fan factor either is as follows:

6 Chaos Dwarfs, they are slow to skill up so get all of them to start with and Block is brilliant early advantage when a lot of players don't have it.
    1 Bull, prefer the Mino but he costs too much and means starting with one less reroll, the extra speed and strength come in useful
    4 hobbos, cheap and do the ball handling and fouling
    4 rerolls, lets you do more plays with AG3 and can get away with more GFIs etc and 4 will last ages without having to save up 140k for another one, with lots of block and tackle losing some vs halflings isn't really an issue

purchases: apoth, mino, bull, hobbos to suit, replace dwarfs as a priority though, if you lose hobbos, use journeymen ones and save up to buy the other things first

3. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    I like the idea about four re-rolls, but what if you're playing a short (8-10 matches) league? You reckon it's worth exchanging a chaos dwarf and a re-roll for the minotaur, or would you still prefer the setup above?

4. Coach

Country Flag:
    I have success using that roster straight from game one so I would be happy enough to use that in any length league.

With plenty of Block from the get go with lots of rerolls the team works well if you position well. Also Centaurs really come into their own with Block and Break Tackle and it can take a while to get them skilled up.

Not run the numbers but dropping a reroll and using that money to upgrade the Centaur to a Mino and I think you have enough left to get another hobbo for 12 players. That could work well assuming you are competent enough using a Minotaur and don't deem them as a liability.

5. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    I went with the 4 re-roll/6 chaos dwarf setup and it worked like a charm. Man, I'd completely forgotten how tough these little devils are! :) Played against a necromantic team with a fast werewolf, so I went for the 2-1 grind - again; worked like a charm!
    Finally; rolled a six in winnings, won the FF and then +1 for a victory, which leaves me now with a total of 90k in the bank. Damn tempting to save the money instead of buying the apothecary and hope for enough winnings after next match to buy the minotaur!..
    What do people reckon?

6. altf4

altf4 New Member

Country Flag:
    My serious roster would be : Minotaur, Bull Centaur, Chaos Dwarves (5), Hobgoblins (4), TRR (3).

Now, for the real challenge, in memory of the famous "The Hobgoblins Team", I'd like to try once : Hobgoblins (12), TRR (6) and 100K left in the bank for low TV and Inducements :D

7. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    That was my first setup as well, but as I knew I'd be too cheap to ever pay 140k for a re-roll later on, I went with the setup mentioned above.

As for "The Hobgoblin Team" I think they are still playing in league with the not-so-famous "Zombie Team"... ;)

8. altf4

altf4 New Member

Country Flag:
    What a match it would be, for the first place in a pool with Snots and Rotters, for sure ! :D

I used "famous" because the "Hobgoblins Team" is presented into the second edition of BB (even if no characteristics were provided for Hobgoblins).

9. Coach

Country Flag:
    Get the apothecary, then save for the Mino. You will just be losing cash if you lose a Dwarf or the Bull cause you risked it. Especially if they got any SPP already.

As you found out the lineup works like a charm already so waiting a couple more games for a Mino as well isn't problematical.

10. Coach

Country Flag:
  11. jamesprobert

jamesprobert Member

Nice work Coach

You gonna do this for all the teams? Could be a very useful piece of reference material.

12. Coach

Country Flag:
    Yes I do, was always my intention, was aiming to do all the players first but think I'll go ahead and get most of the starting rosters done.

13. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    Beautiful - cheers!
    I vote for doing the chaos dwarf team-players as the next thing! :D

14. Coach

Country Flag:
    Guard on all the dwarves, juggernaut on the mino, block and break tackle on the bulls, block and sure hands on the hobbos

Job done!

I'll expand on that eventually but can't go wrong with the above :D

15. jamesprobert

jamesprobert Member

don't forget kick as a utility skill on a hobbo, and then Mighty Blow on the dorfs :)

16. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    Once you get enough hobbos to go around I like to equip them with dirty player.. :p

17. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    What would people choose if rolling a double (or 10/11) on a bull?

18. Coach

Country Flag:
    Cases could be made for every option, including taking a normal skill

Previously I've taken Dodge, though I quite like Jump Up now it is an option.

19. Zharud Darksoul

Zharud Darksoul New Member

Which of the following should I go for when designing my team? I'm sticking to 3rd edition rules so far.

2 bull-centaurs, 4 chaos dwarf blockers, 5 hobgoblins

Or this?

1 bull-centaur, 4 chaos dwarf blockers, 6 hobgoblins.

I'm low on money now, so I can't afford to max out both the bull-centaurs and the chaos dwarf blockers yet.

20. Coach

Country Flag:
    Chaos Dwarfs didn't have Bull Centaurs in 3rd edition so not sure what rules you are using. I'd recommend to use the newest ones though they are by far the best ruleset.

As for an explanation have you read TV1000 Chaos Dwarf Starting Roster | Blood Bowl Tactics it will give you some ideas. Though without knowing the full rules you are playing with and player costs it is hard to give you an answer.