1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chaos Dwarf Chaos Dwarfs vs. Orcs

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by okkam, Jan 9, 2012.

1. okkam

okkam New Member

Country Flag:
    I've been playing in a league and I've got my 4th game this season against orcs. The previous ones haven't gone swimmingly. I'm looking for some tactics advice on how to deal with their preponderance of STR 4. My current roster -

Bull - Block, Break Tackle
    Bull - Block
    Dwarf - Claw
    2 x Dwarf - Guard
    3 x Dwarf
    2 x Hobgoblin - Sure Hands
    Hobgoblin - Kick
    Hobgoblin

His roster -

Thrower - Accurate, Kick
    Goblin
    3 x Blitzer - Guard
    Blitzer
    2 x Black Orc - Block
    Black Orc - Block, Guard
    Black Orc
    Troll - Guard
    Lineman

I seem to spend too much of the match with nothing to do but stand back up since most of my guys are STR 3. I've considered putting Hobs on the line instead of Dwarfs to try and minimize that, but I'm concerned about AV 7.

Any suggestions?

2. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    I would try and utilize your Bull Centaurs as much as possible, trying to get them the ball to break free on a key turn to speed past the Orc line. Once past the line (when on offense) you should be able to make enough separation to keep the Orcs from catching you. Or at least move some Hobgoblins to be roadblocks.

Defensively I'd read Coach's article on Cage Breaking, and utilise your Bull Centaurs on key blitzes.

3. Metalsvinet

Metalsvinet New Member

Orcs are a tough deal for CDwarves, at least until you get some claw, mb, po. You are behind in the ST and guard department and his speed is pretty comparable to yours.

I'd also try to get the ball with your BT bull as he is your most mobile player and hard(er) to get down.

4. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    That is where I believe your advice to use the Bull to rock face is spot on! If he can get it into the Bulls hands (hooves? lol), he should be able to out speed any of the BOBs. Thereby forcing the Orc player to get, at minimum 2 people on the Bull for a 1 die block.

Live by the Bull, die by the Bull my Chaos Dwarf friend! ;)

5. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Also of note, use that Chaos Dwarf with Claw as often as you can via blocking or blitzing! That will be put the fear of Nuffle into the Orc Coach... ;)

6. okkam

okkam New Member

Country Flag:
    Ended up with a 2-1 win over him with a nice blitz in the second half.

Thanks folks!

7. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Grats on the win, glad our collective advice was helpful!

Looking back on the game what worked well for you, and what would you do differently?

8. okkam

okkam New Member

Country Flag:
    What worked well for me was making sure I applied maximum pressure in small spaces where I could break open a hole and squirt through. My blockers got knocked down a lot, but kept him tied up in the middle, so I was able to blitz a hole with my bulls and exploit it.

What I would do differently is probably be more aggressive in hitting with my hobgoblins on his blitzers rather than just marking with them.

9. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Glad to see you holding the middle.versus Orcs, because that is not easy to do!

I also like being agressive when the situation calls for it. Though don't get caught up in being to aggressive and throwing 1 die blocks left/right just cause you can. Nuffle will happily smite you for that! ;)