1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat function?

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Netsmurf, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Hi Coach, I have noticed that other forums can have a live chat. Is that possible to get here?

Cheers Brio/Netsmurf

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Do you mean a proper IRC chat channel or one of those shout box things?

3. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Im affraid that I dont know the difference, but I´m thinking of a chat running in a section of the screen, if you choose to have it open.

Does it make any sense?

4. Coach

Country Flag:
    They both work like that, perhaps an example link of what you mean will get us onto the same page.

5. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I think the OCC forums have a link through to a web-based IRC room.

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
  7. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Nice example here, of the 2 or 3 I have seen so far this one looks the best to my nonexpert eye:

Old World Football League • Index page

You have a reasonable size chat window open at the top of the main general forum index. It is quite handy to arrange quick games etc.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  8. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Finally got my account activated there, it is not a chat function like their that I would want. I was thinking like this:

[​IMG]

The chat function should be optional and perhaps some would like to max it, I like a size like shown. Forgive the very rude design, hope it does make sense?

9. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
  10. Coach

Country Flag:
    I can't see those ones linked on other forums, I guess you need to create an account?

I've not found a chatbox like Netsmurf drew, there are some other options though. I will look at them a bit more and we can try one of them out.

11. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    That would be nice!

12. Coach

Country Flag:
    The new chatbox should be visible to any user who has posted on the forum now.

Please post any feedback.

13. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I think its fine:powdodge:

14. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Looks good and appears to work well.

Only issue I can see is when you click on the disclosure triangle to the left of a post. The background colour of the little pop-up div is the same colour as the chat below it, so is not easily distinguishable.

Other than that it looks like a good solution! :)

15. Coach

Country Flag:
    I spotted that too, should be easy to fix, or I may just remove it...

16. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Looking good coach, good job!

Very similar to the one I posted you a link for (and that you couldnt access!) :)

Not sure if it is a feature you can enable in this chat box version, but in the ones I know you also have a little info line below stating how many chatters have been active in the chat in the last 10 minutes or so, so you can see how many people are actively chatting at a glance.

17. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I like the function, but not the aesthetics. Its just not pretty and it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the page (visually).

If you have the time i suggest playing around with the fonts, colours, etc. The one they have over at THN really fits in well with their web page:
    TheHavenNet :: THN Games - Powered by vBulletin

18. Coach

Country Flag:
    There are quite a few functions it has that I've not delved that far into yet.

Narly, I can't see one on that page, I guess you have to register. They are using the standard vbulletin skin on their site though (so looks like hundreds of others). Not sure what part of it you don't think fits in as it uses colours and graphics from the site theme.

Maybe you are seeing it differently to me?!

19. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I will take a screenshot of their site and post it here so you can see. Here's my opinion:
    1. Text should be a bit smaller so you can fit more in (read more without having to scroll)
    2. The date and time take up way too much of the chat box. Get rid of it or make it much smaller so that the important part (the comments themselves) have more space.
    3. When someone types in a long message it will take up more than 1 line. But in such a case it can be hard to determine who wrote match the whole post with the person who wrote it. It might be easier if there are clear dividers (eg a line or something) between each post.
    4. The little arrow/tab thing on the left of each post doesn't seem to have any function.

Definitely good to have it up though regardless of my perceived foibles.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  20. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Adding to Narlys list:

5- Expand the number of posts displayed in the box that you can scroll down to. Set it maybe to a few hours back (if it can be done based on time), so when you join you can see the background of what is being chatted. Currently it seems that after not too many lines the older ones disappear too quick and sometimes is difficult to follow.