1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skaven Cheesy starting skaven team or other possibilities

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by One Million Monkeys, Sep 11, 2011.

1. One Million Monkeys

One Million Monkeys Member

Country Flag:
    Im about to start a new Skaven team in a TV1000 League.
    My first match is going to be against a starting dwarf team. This single match is for several reasons a really important one. Probably the best player and even more important, the bragging rights. Therefor I am considering a cheesy initial roster.

2 Storm Vermins
    3 Gutter Runner
    6 Linerats
    3 RR

This give me the 11 players needed and a TV of 900. I am pretty sure that my opponent will make the classic Dwarven roster which will give me 100k for inducements which I plan to use to hire Fezglitch - the skaven Ball & Chain star player. If I get the chance I will let the dwarves receive the ball and keep him in the background until they form a cage and then unleash him. This will probably disrupt his gameplan and make him concentrate his players less than usual to minimize the threat and then open up for strikes against his Runners by the Gutter Runners. Even if he tries to counter Fezglitch with a trollslayer he will need a 5+ Dauntless roll. He can ofcourse always try a -2d block if he comes to close to the cage, but with some careful positioning that should hopefully not be a viable option. No matter what I will after the match have my 100k gold plus winnings.

Do you think this plan could work?

Alternatively maybe get a Ratogre. I would normally not start a Skaven team with one, but think it would make him set up a slightly less impenetrable wall in the widezone on defense due to the threat of ST5 Frenzy. (We all know ofcourse it will either fail Wild animal or roll a :bothdown::bothdown:, but the threat is still something you will be afraid of)

Third Option would be a classic 11 rats, 3rr, apo setup and hope not to be caught up in offense and be able to get a lucky kick on one of the kick-offs so the Gutter Runners can do their job and make a defensive TD.

Any other suggestions?

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    It can be painful to start without the apothecary - but he could save one player tops, and you've got 100k left to repurchase with, so it sounds like an interesting and amusing idea. :D

3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    You could induce a linerat with kick:powdodge:

4. One Million Monkeys

Country Flag:
    @Netsmurf That actually a really good idea :) But won't he cost 130k? 50k for linerat + 30k for mercenary cost and 50k for skill? It could be done, if I change a gutter runner to a linerat. In that case there will also be one less Runner to protect against his Longbeards.

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    You are right on both counts.

Benefit of going 870 for a kick lino is that you can go back to your original game plan if he happens to go for a 990 start. (I've seen it done.)

6. One Million Monkeys

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the inputs. I'll make the 870k build and induce the kick linerat or Fezglitch if the dwarves make a 990k build. This is definitely going to be a high risk high reward build :skull:
    The match is tonight, so I will give you a match report tomorrow.

7. One Million Monkeys

Country Flag:
    Well, it went wrong.
    Started with the ball and made the planned progress upfield to then miss the last block in second turn, that would have opened the pass for a quick TD by a Gutter Runner, the ball went loose and was scattered to a Trollslayer. The dwarves capitalized on the confusion and scored in turn six. The rats got an equalizer just before halftime.

First kick by the induced kicker was at the beginning of second half. Not that good a kick btw so the rats didn't get a chance to disrupt the cage building and the dwarves went on and scored in their last turn. Actually pushed a runner into position for a last turn TD but fumbled the pickup.

All in all, unlucky on every ball handling roll, but lucky on injuries and my rats left the match without any injuries and a Runner grew horns.

8. One Million Monkeys

Country Flag:
    Lesson learned: If you are going to take advantage of kick, make sure that you actually score a lot of goals so you get to kick :)

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The actual lesson is "if you are going to follow a smurfs advice, you'd better be blue and three apples talls" :p

10. Meister P

Meister P New Member

Country Flag:
    Would always choose Very Long Legs on the first GR to roll a double. Once he gets Leap, he's gonna be real pain in the butt for the opposition. ;)

11. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    There are better skills than both IMO.

12. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Any wisdom to share together with your comment? :bothdown:

13. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    I think two heads is nice to have with a Gutter Runer.
    Also Big Hands is a game winner after your Wrestle, Tackle, Stripball player forced your opponent to drop the ball. Take NoS also and you can take the ball and throw it where ever you want.

I´m not a big fan of VLL myself because you need 2 skills for a safe 2+ Leap while you can make most dodges with two heads on 2+ as well, get a Re-Roll for that and only need one skill. Ok sure sometimes there are more then 1 TZ where you want to go but 3+ with rr is still better and the few times where you really need to go into 3 or more TZ are so rare... that I really like to have the second skill for something else.
    Take Leap if you want but 3+ is enough for my taste because I only use it if I really have to.
    Well maybe if your league uses a lot of diving tackle....

I do like Horns... even after the supercombo with Dauntless doesn´t work anymore. The Problem is most of the time the ballcrarrier has ST 3 or even 4 so dauntless alone is better. Maybe if you start hunting ST 2 players like skinks or catcher then go for it... but thats not your job.

I would still think about Horns because I really like Mutations... or if you are ST 3 allready. (GR with ST +1 or Liner with AG+1 or something other crazy)

So me personnal wouldn´t say a bad choise but not really the one I would have taken.
    On the other hand... my skaventeams aren´t really succsessfull so maybe it´s better not listen to me. :D

Edit: and sorry for taking over your post into a "what to give a GR with a double".

14. One Million Monkeys

Country Flag:
    Thats just swell :)

The reason for horns has been my great experience with Wrestle GR's that (in one way or another) can 1 die block ball carriers down pitch - or 2 die block with the help of another GR. It has worked really well in recent memory, but perhaps just been lucky.

The VLL jump combo is really tempting, because very few teams can prevent a 2 turn TD, but I like to build the first 2-3 gutters as defensive ball hunters - otherwise I tend to end up with only two turns of ball possession during a match.

Big Hand is also a really good choice - and would probably have won the before mentioned match, but if I get the chance I prefer a catcher thrower with this mutation :)

@Nikolai II Next time warn me in advance about Netsmurfs advices only works for beings three apple tall ;-)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  15. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Oh, but I thought all Danes were just three apples tall. :p

(Or maybe I guessed that the one million monkeys were quite small monkeys ;))

16. One Million Monkeys

Country Flag:
    If you stack the monkeys they can get quite tall.