1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide COL Champions Ladder I

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Jav, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Any coaches playing in the COL Champions Ladder this season? I've been playing as many matches as I can. I finally moved into the first page and currently the highest ranked skaven team, but Lord Thorlacius has basically the same record and is right next to me.

So far most have been really good matches. In my 41 matches I think I only experienced two disconnects, and they were both in my first 10 matches. So even if you have no plans to play enough matches to qualify for the tournament, its still the best place to get a good BB2 matchmaking game.

2. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I've had about 15 games with Humans. No where near enough to qualify but it is a substantial improvement regularly getting past turn 4.

I also help run it but that doesn't require much work .

3. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    I played a few games early on but kind of forgot about it to be honest. The regular COL is a bit of a joke now (currently I have a 5-0-0 lizard team, all wins due to concedes...) so will have to give it another go.

4. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    It's easily the best MM experience I've had in BB.

5. Valcurdra

Valcurdra Active Member

Country Flag:
    I saw quite a few concedes early, but has tidied up since then. Admins banning people probably helped, also copped some verbal abuse.

Overall I would rate it as exactly the same as COL but with a bit better standard of play.

6. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I have been playing quite a bit, which is surprising because I don't normally have any interest in the public leagues but figured the Champions Ladder should be better than the normal dregs of COL. I have played about 30 games split between a stupid Orc team (5-2-8) that keeps rolling doubles and stat ups and an Undead team (6-2-4) with a Block Mummy and a Ghoul that just got +AG in my last game last night. Too bad I already had a SH Ghoul, but I do love me some hand off shenanigans so that should be fun.

The Undead team had two straight teams concede to them, one during the Inducement phase, last weekend but other than that I have had fun and no bad experiences at all, and more than a few very fun games with some nice chat. I will never play enough games (or win enough of the ones I play) to come anywhere near the playoffs but I have been enjoying myself quite a bit.

7. stephB

stephB Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    stephB
    Cyanide Username:
    stephB
    Country Flag:
    I started a new orc team in the Champions ladder which is now 7-3-4 and almost all have been close matches and not one concede or disconnect, so the experience from the original COL is definitely an improvement. Although I did enjoy my last orc team going 24-5-0 before their first defeat in the original COL, but about a third of those wins were concedes. I still play my decent chaos team in the COL and have 3-0-0 record for this season, again tough games and no concedes which is surprising.

8. dynamoDes

dynamoDes Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    dynamoDes
    Country Flag:
    It's been much better all round. I think I've played about 9 games and all have been pretty fun (decent chat etc.) and/or decent matches. Would prefer a few less matches against those stunty little bearded ones, but you can't have everything :D

9. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    [BRAG/ON]

43-14-12 with wood elves.

[BRAG/OFF]

10. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    As soon as I wrote this bragging post I had three deaths and a defeat in my next match. Thanks for reminding me nuffle!

stephB and Ravers like this.
  11. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    My AG5 Ghoul died on a failed dodge into an open square.

stephB likes this.
  12. stephB

stephB Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    stephB
    Cyanide Username:
    stephB
    Country Flag:
    Dang that is harsh!

13. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    Undoubtedly a substantial improvement over the Open Ladder, at least. I've played about 15-20 matches and only had 2 concedes - And one of them was actually a legitimate 'throwing in the towel' moment at turn 14 or something, because the other coach was worried I'd kill more of his players. Coaches I play against are often quite friendly too, or doesn't speak much at all, which I am fine with. However, during one or two games I played against someone throwing insults left and right. But I guess that can never be completely avoided.

I find the COL Champion Ladder to be the best place for me now to practice with the different races and improve on my tactics, so that I know more about how each team operates and what their strengths and weaknesses are, which ultimately helps a lot when playing against these races in the proper League games. I also experiment a lot with the less popular skills to see how useful they can be if selected on certain pieces, with strangely pleasant results so far.

14. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I plan on hopping the wagon on next season, though I don't know honestly how active I will be.

15. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Looks like I just sneaked into the playoffs as the last at large team! Unfortunately I'm down to 1350 TV and only 8 players on my skaven team at the moment, and my one turner died a few matches ago...

16. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Season 2 of the Champions Ladder started today.

There have been some tweaks to the ranking system; the math frightens and confuses me so I won't get into any of that but the short story is that a team should be able to compete for a playoff spot with as few as 30 games (and there is a negative effect on winning after more than 112 games) played over the 6 week season.

For those interested in details: http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=8109

TwoScoops likes this.
  17. stephB

stephB Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    stephB
    Cyanide Username:
    stephB
    Country Flag:
    From what I have read so far, this season will be more like the world cup with people going for very high win%, but thankfully a loss won't totally ruin your chances. I only managed 26 games last season so this at least gives me some encouragement. I won my first game of the season last night against nerco 2-0 while inflicting 4 cas, good start me thinks :)

18. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Yes this should make it genuinely a blood bowl competition rather than just a time on your hands competition.

But 30 games does risk WC qualifier style restart grinding. Almost certainly still not tempted! :D

19. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    I did make the playoffs for the first round. VGPurist did a recap of my Rodents of Regret vs Veggente's Miragliano Owlers wood elves. 9 total touchdown's including 3 one turners!

https://www.twitch.tv/vgpurist/v/101937652

20. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Right definitely no more champ ladder for me!

I just used my second concede (first was to allow Cake and I to play our BC2 game early when I'd just started a ladder match) after playing a new woodie team for all of 3 turns. He fouled one of my dancers to -AV. Literally no point continuing the game or playing the team ever again under the season 2 formula. Thanks Dode.