1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Create a Star Player

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Pottsy, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    Inspired by the Build a New Team thread last month. I decided to do some number crunching and try to come up with a similar method for making Star Players.

Still a work in progress. Though I think just comparing it to the existing star players isn't going to get it completely balanced. I should be useful for adding your own players to Blood Bowl campaigns.

Making the Star Player
    Every players base cost is 60k (60,000)

Stats: Work out their stats and add the values from the table below.
    [​IMG]
    If the value isn't on the table you can't use it.
    Note: If you want to give a player 'ball and chain' their strength must be 7. However, calculate their cost as if they have ST5.

Skills: Next choose their skills and add their cost to the players value. All players must have Loner. Take note of how much they have spent on skills alone.
    Loner: 0k
    Accurate: 30k
    Ball & Chain*: 0k
    Block: 30k
    Bombardier*: 20k
    Bonehead: -10k
    Break Tackle: 30k
    Catch: 20k
    Chainsaw*: 60k
    Claws: 10k
    Dauntless: 10k
    Dirty Player: 10k
    Disturbing Presence: 40k
    Diving Catch: 30k
    Dodge: 40k
    Dump-off: 30k
    Extra Arms: 20k
    Fend: 20k
    Foul Appearance: 20k
    Frenzy: 30k
    Grab: 10k
    Guard: 30k
    Hail Mary Pass: 10k
    Horns: 10k
    Hypnotic Gaze: 30k
    Juggernaut: 30k
    Jump Up: 10k
    Kick-Off Return: 20k
    Leap: 20k
    Mighty Blow: 40k
    Multiple Block: 30k
    Nerves of Steel: 40k
    No Hands: -10k
    Pass: 20k
    Pass Block: 10k
    Prehensile Tail: 20k
    Regeneration: 40k
    Right Stuff: 20k
    Safe Throw: 10k
    Secret Weapon: -20k
    Shadowing: 20k
    Side Step: 30k
    Sneaky Git: 20k
    Sprint: 30k
    Stab: 10k
    Stakes: 10k
    Stand Firm: 20k
    Strip Ball: 10k
    Strong Arm: 10k
    Stunty: 10k
    Sure Feet: 10k
    Sure Hands: 10k
    Tackle: 10k
    Tentacles: 20k
    Thick Skull: 10k
    Throw Teammate: 10k
    Two Heads: 20k
    Very Long Legs: 10k
    Wrestle: 10k

*Must take secret weapon along with these skills. Ball and Chain must also be taken with No Hands

The following Skills are not normally found on star players. If you must have them I suggest the following values.
    (30k) Big Hand, Diving Tackle, Fan Favourite, Leader, Nurgles Rot, Pile On, Pro
    (10k) Titchy
    (-10k) Always Hungry, Animosity, Blood Lust, Decay, Really Stupid, Take Root, Wild Animal

Final Modifications: If the star player falls into any the following categories. You must add a little more to their value.
    Both ST and AG are greater than 3: add 10k
    Has both Block and Dodge: add 10k
    Total of ST and AG is greater than 6: add 10k
    Has more than 60k worth of Skills: add 20k
    Has Block & ST is greater than 4: add 10k

Final Notes
    I've tried this method on all the existing star players. On average they cost 16k more than their listed price.

I ideally wanted no player to cost less than 10k cheaper than the listed price. However, the following players did: Icepelt Hammerblow, Mighty Zug, Quetzal Leap, Ramtut III, Rashnak Backstabber. The worst offender was Ramtut who cost 50k cheaper than his listed price. The largest difference in prices were Wilhelm Chaney and Zzharg Madeye who both cost 70k more than listed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    JaneHuskmann and Bakunin like this.
  2. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I'll have a go:

[​IMG]

Not sure I was paying attention, so the price is probably off.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    That looks fine. Here are some of my guys.
    [​IMG]
    Both Cacame and Urist are names from Dwarf Fortress lore. Cacame was an Elf so bad-ass the dwarves made him their king (worth noting the dwarves ruled over Cacames settlement and he joined their militia). Urist is just a very common name for dwarves in Dwarf Fortress.

Leggit is just a really fast goblin.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  4. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Upanattem - Goblin Bombardier extraordinaire...

MV4
    ST3
    AG5
    AV7

Loner
    Dodge
    Stunty
    Bombardier
    Block
    Dodge
    Hail Mary Pass
    Side Step
    Nerves of Steel

I make him a bargain at 220k

Just literally my dream player.

Also for Medusa, why not have tentacle hair?

5. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    You forgot to give him Secret Weapon (which would also drop his cost to 200k). It's a must for Chainsaw, Ball and Chain and Bombardier.

The high AG is going to make him well nasty. Not that cheap though compared to the other bombardiers (they only cost 60k). I since AG doesn't affect the Hail Mary pass I would probably gave that a miss.

I like McGuirks Medusa as well. I imagine the Foul Appearance as being more the players trying to avoid eye contact..

One thing i noticed is there is no incentive to take Accurate over improved agility. I'll probably drop it to 20k when i revise it.

6. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

Gibbitz & Noggle
    220k 6/2/4/7
    Loner, Stunty, Titchy, Right Stuff
    Regeneration, Block, Dodge, Side Step,
    Disturbing Presence, Foul Appearance, Two-Heads

My take on a Star Player (Star Snotling!).

7. Barninho

Country Flag:
    That's my mistake. I was just trying to make the best bomb thrower possible but I wrongly thought agility would help there. Also realized that Fend might be better than sidestep since you wouldn't use him on the sidelines necessarily and that might be better for keeping him safe.

MV4
    ST3
    AG3
    AV7

Loner
    Secret Weapon
    Dodge
    Stunty
    Bombardier
    Block
    Dodge
    Hail Mary Pass
    Fend
    Nerves of Steel

So by my calculations that should be a drop of 60k (with Fend being 10k cheaper) and makes him a bit more tempting at 160k.

Murk I love the snotling. He'd be going anywhere he wanted...

Can't think of anything else to increase bombers effectiveness.

Pottsy this is a great idea for a thread.

8. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    @ murkglow: two heads are useless on a titchy player, they always dodge on 2+, but a fine snot if I ever saw one. Just wondering how he survived to get there!

9. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

The idea was to make him "immune" to Diving Tackle. Perhaps excessive though.

As for how he survived... He is favored by the gods (or maybe he just ate some troll) and as such he can regenerate from even the worst injuries.

10. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Didn´t think of that:eek:

11. Smiler6310

Smiler6310 Member

Country Flag:
    Thought this up a year or so ago. I used to love the Skaven Doomwheel in Warhammer and thought it would be cool to see a version of that of the BB pitch! 100% certain I got the cost wrong, it seems uber cheap.

Star Player

Name; Haamsta Weal
    Race; Skaven
    Cost; 230,000GPS
    MA, 6
    ST; 6
    AG; 1
    AV; 8
    Skills/Traits; Break Tackle, Mighty Blow, Dirty Player, No Hands, Secret Weapon, Stand Firm, Loner, Bonehead.

Doomwheels are notriously hard to drive so on a roll of a 1 they lose their TZ (Bonehead) whilst the driver searches for the right controls!

Fluff;
    After a particulary nasty game against the Dwarf Giants, Coach Blackfur of the Ratlanta Foulclans decided to get revenge for when the teams next met. So months later on a chilly afternoon, as the teams set up for the kickoff a rumbling was heard. A huge wheel type device crashed into the Dwarf line killing two and badly hurting another. The machine promptly fell apart when its driver tried to make a sharp turn and it couldn't be repaired for the rest of the match. Even still the Doomwheel had became a fan favourote.

Edit:
    Put in the true cost - cheers pottsy! :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  12. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    Two Headed Ogre

MV: 5
    ST: 5
    AG: 3
    AV: 9
    Cost: 340k... quite a lot for a bit better Ogre.

Skills: Loner, Thick Skull, Mighty Blow, Juggernaut, Multiple Block, Break Tackle, Two Heads, Really Stupid

Not triing to make a special Strong Starplayer but more of having a funny Idea and stick to it.

He hast realy Stupid ´cause both heads are allways fighting with each other and so they need another person to decide which head is right in the moment. But when he finished thinking then it´s hard to stop him at all with Breaktackle and Two Heads.

13. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    I love the Skaven Doomwheel. Great name for the player too. Cost is off though. Should be 230k (90k for the stats, 60k for the skills and an additional 10k for total of ST&AG >6).

i like the 2 headed ogre too. Why is it anything with 2 heads always seems to get into arguments with itself/themselves.

One thing i've noticed with the star players (the ones in the rules, not the ones you have all made). Strength focused Star Players (High ST/AV and block related skills) cost a lot more than Agility focused players. Morg'n'Thorg is a whopping 430k.
    I think it's to encourage the underdog team to hire a player that can score touchdowns (you know, the actual point of the game) rather than one that can do some damage.

14. Barninho

Country Flag:
    Was just thinking about the value system. Shouldn't it be racially adjusted? I mean an ogre with four skills costs much, much more than a goblin with four skills?

I would presume that's why Morg costs so much, with him being the ultimate ogre and all.

15. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    It's built in to the stats table. Before costing up any skills and before the "final modifications" bit, a 6 6 3 10 ogre star-player would cost 220k, whereas a 7 3 4 8 goblin would cost 30k.

16. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I think Haamsta Weal is my favourite so far!

Personally I'd like to see some of the first edition star players making a return. Harry "The Hammer" Kehry, Grimwold Grimbreath ("star kicker, thumper, biter and headbasher"), Lucien Swift, Shorty Stubbfoot ("who has perfected a body swerve so effective he hasn't been tackled in a game for three seasons") etc.

My favourite player was always the dark elf Jeremiah Kool, the Flashing Blade, "who holds the record for the longest total passing distance, and the largest number of dwarf players killed in a league game (15!)". I imagine that an ultimate thrower/fouler with Stab would be a little too much, but just for fun I thought I'd see how he turns out:

MA 7, ST 3, AG 5, AV 8

Loner, Accurate, Dirty Player, Dump-off, Hail Mary Pass, Nerves of Steel, Pass, Safe Throw, Sneaky Git, Stab, Strong Arm.

17. Barninho

Country Flag:
    That makes sense Rusty. Forgot my thinking brain today...

18. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    The Deathwheel does indeed look like fun. You could even give it Ball and Chain to give it even crazier, more chaotic mobility - wreaking a 6-block path of distruction through both sides of the pitch :D

Regarding Medussa (who I think I should have called Medusssa, to really ssignposst the ssssomewhat more ssibliant sssobriquet...):

This is exactly what I was going for!

I did consider it. It might even be the more logical choice (inasmuch as logic applies to boardgame manifestations of fantastical creatures) but, as is my wont with the Classics, I managed to get confused somewhere along the line and elements of Lamia and the Hydra worked their way into the design (hence Prehensile Tail and Regeneration).

I didn't want both Tentacles and Prehensile Tail because I wanted to keep the decision on how to deal with her difficult. She has Block and Foul Appearance, yes, but at the same time only ST4. So do you gang up on her, or try to dodge your players away at -1?

Having given it more thought, she'd need to be at least AG3 too to make Hypnotic Gaze a non-worthless option, possibly even AG4... if the price got too high as a result I would probably lower her speed again.

19. Barninho

Country Flag:
    Makes a lot of sense. I like Medusa and the Doomwheel a lot.

Having played Halflings a lot I like the idea of a Halfling Fat Fryer. This is a normal halfling with no hands and secret weapon.

He runs onto the pitch with a boiling pan of hot fat. When the weapon is used (at the cost of movement) it spits at people who put him in tackle zones causing push-backs to all concerned. They are missed by the spit if they roll a 5 or 6 but otherwise have to step away from him. This spit also affects his own players.

The problem is that he is unable to dodge except on a six.

If he fails a dodge or is blocked the fat from his pan will either douse him on a 1/2 roll or more likely fly the direction he is pushed or dodging dousing an opponent. Use a D6 to check the direction of the fat as if the fat has been pushed. If it lands on the halfling it's a one two, three four and five six are used to land on the adjacent square. This fling is not only sent off but removed if he is knocked down.

A dousing would leave one player badly hurt, although there is no chance of serious injury or death there is no chance of avoiding the knockout.

Other rules are he cannot go for it, as no-one in their right mind is going to run with a pan full of hot fat. He also does not have the dodge skill so is pretty vulnerable to getting knocked off the pitch, but do it with care if your player is standing behind him..,

20. Bakunin

Bakunin New Member

Country Flag:

Could you repost with the stat values ?