1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crunch Cup IV

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Netsmurf, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    With only 5 games left to be desided in the CCIII its time to think about the new and much improved CCIV.

First what should it be?

1) The Stunty cup? Only (Halfling, Goblin, Ogre, Lizardmen without Saurus)
    2) The Peasant cup? No block/wrestle/dodge are allowed
    3) The Normal cup? Like the one we just had, maybe with experienced teams?
    4) The Agile cup? Must have AG4 access on the team.
    5) The killar cup? No AG4 access allowed.
    6) The Mirror cup? Only one race allowed, fx human.

Well thats just a little thoughtsample from your freindly neighborhood smurf, give it a moment of reflection and give your oppinion:pow:

2. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    7) The Frantic Cup? 40s time-limit on turns.
    8) The Amateur Cup? No team re-rolls allowed.
    9) The Really Amateur Cup? No team or skill re-rolls allowed. :p

3. Sceadeau

Sceadeau Active Member

Country Flag:
    I liked the way Crunch Cup III was run. I'm not a fan of specialty leagues.

4. Snotty

Snotty Member

Country Flag:
    a normal cup, it would be good to to use existing teams, as ive yet to do that in a league. Have Put lots of love into teams and then are left behind as a new league starts.

5. Gokkesokken

Gokkesokken New Member

Country Flag:
    A league just like this one, but without the doping. It's an abomination. Only the normal rules of the boardgame..
    Experienced team or rookie doesn't matter to me..

6. Strobinator

Strobinator Member

Country Flag:
    I don't mind a cup where teams are assigned randomly.

For example, you just say you are in and then a random number generator picks a number which corresponds with a list.

7. Panda with issues

Panda with issues Member

Country Flag:
    I'd be game for that. I might get a chance to play with something I normally wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Or halflings.

8. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    I would prefer a normal league.

But I do like the extended inducements, as it means there is something that costs less than 50k

9. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    I'd prefer the normal option. I'm using the Crunch Cup leagues as ways of trying out all the teams I haven't had a chance to try yet. Also you're more likely to get a wider entry going with a normal league than a specialty one.

Plus I've already got next season's team name planned to please Narly. :p

Having said that the random team draw sounds interesting as well.

10. Cybermage100

Cybermage100 Member

Country Flag:
    As still basically a Novice to the game, I would vote against anything too specialized... A normal Cup sounds good to me. I also do like the Extended Inducements for the reasons mentioned, as it does give something cheaper to utilize inducements (plus the fact that with my Mummy getting battered on game 1, they gave me a cool way to compensate.)

The idea of random teams is intriguing... yet frightening to me. There are still a few teams (Vampire, Ogre, Goblin, Halfling) that I have been somewhat hesitant to try my hand with. Still, could be exciting to not know what you will wind up with. Plus it would guarantee a good team spread.

11. Strobinator

Strobinator Member

Country Flag:
    We could do random teams with tier 3 teams taken out. If you do not like your team, you could then opt for a tier 3 team of your choice. That way, no one gets stuck with an uncompetitive team (although they could get one they are inexperienced with).

12. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    How about the league format? Does everyone like the small divisions and then the knock out? Or would people prefer larger divisions? Whilst i think the current format is good, it does mean players who get KO'd at the beginning will have to wait a few weeks until all the games are played and a new league started. There are pro's and cons each way i guess, but i think i prefer slightly larger divisions and a shorter KO playoff.

Regarding use of existing teams, i think it should be allowed, but only for teams that were in the Crunch Cup (ie. no Auld teams, etc.). Also, i think if we allow teams to continue then extended inducements should be turned on. They are very powerful IMO and would make up for a rooky team facing an experienced one. Alternatively you could make 1 division with teams that are continuing and putting rooky teams in the rest.

Finally, random teams sounds fun, but i would then recommend a very short league as you might get people dropping out more quickly otherwise.

13. Vusfnuv

Vusfnuv Member

Country Flag:
    Is it possible to change the way the oppenents are chosen in the knockout stage? I find it quite weird that teams from the same divisions faced each other so soon in knockout stage.

On the topic: I would prefer a system that is similar to what was in CC III, but with two differences:
    1. Slightly larger number ov teams in each division (something like 6).
    2. Only a half or 3/4 of teams from each division get to knockout stage based on their position in the division.

I don't really want to see any limits on choosing a team. Though a number of the times the same team can be chosen can be limited. In this case weaker coaches (for example we can use their highest position in CC I-III to decide their success rating) choose first.

14. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    I would prefer a more normal format, althoguh random teams might be intresting too. Goblins or halflings I would not want, but could live with ogres or vampires.

Not quite sure what I think of extended inducements. I did have a low TV for most of CC3, so used a lot of inducements, and the potions are quite powerful. They are pretty random though.

Strength potion 60k, 26% chance of +1 str
    Agility potion 40k, 46% chance of +1 agi
    dope test, 20k check someone for potions, they get banned from the game if they test positive.

The problem with the tests is that in general only one person has inducement cash, so it is very rarely going to be an issue.

There are some other inducements too, but I am not sure what they do. I suspect the cheering fans and rioting fans affect reuse of the racial scrolls (which thankfully we have not turned on at all), there are some others, but I really don't know what they do.

15. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I think the extra inducements are really powerful, especially the potions. I'm actually dreading my match vs Scedeu (assuming i play him next) where he should have a fair amount of inducements. I assume he will get a couple of + agility potions on his Thro-ras, thereby eliminating the Khemri's main deficiency!

There is also an inducement that costs 100k and reduces the opponents reroll by 1 (almost like buying a reroll inducement, but opposite). And you can pay something (i cant remember how much) to reduce an opponents movement by 1.

I actually really like the race specific wizards. They are generally worse than the normal wizard, but cheering fans let you use it more than once and it can add some real randomness to the game. I particularly like the Lizardmens one that makes all players in a 9 square radius suffer bonehead for 1 turn. Really random!

IMO as we have Crunch them all (open league), which has extended inducements turned on, i think we should have it switched off for the Crunch Cup. Best to keep it pure bloodbowl and leave the crazy inducements to the open league.

16. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I think the divisions should be bigger, with a longer group stage and less play offs, as team development was very limited.

Either that or maybe play the opposing teams twice, if that can be done.

In 4 matches my team gained only 3 skills and one of those promptly upped and died on me.

That said, personally we're less than 4 weeks from the arrival of the baby at home, so it may not be the wisest move in terms of family harmony for me to enter another league just yet. ;)

17. Strobinator

Strobinator Member

Country Flag:
    I think the league format where you play everyone is a good one. In any case, we need to have more matches before we get to the playoffs and eliminations happen. A longer league helps take out the luck, and it makes building your team part of the strategy. A longer league is a more level playing field. It also increases the viability of some teams that bloom later such as chaos or nurgle.

18. Vusfnuv

Vusfnuv Member

Country Flag:
    On the other hands it reduces chances for high-skills/low-stats teams like amazons or nords.

19. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yeah groups of 6 would probably be better, with possibly 2 getting elimiated if that is possible. Then hopefully we wont get too many dropping out.

I would personally prefer to keep it to new teams, restting the clock.

If you want to have experienced teams it would be better in something like a league rather than a cup compertition. Then you can have new teams in the bottom division, and more experienced teams further up. Inducements are not as powerful as TV even with extended inducements. Playing the occasional missmatch is ok, but I would not want to do it too much.

20. Sceadeau

Sceadeau Active Member

Country Flag:
    Just an aside, I would have to win my next match up for us to play. Considering I have a team nearly as skilled up as you, I don't think inducements will play a part at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.