1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crunch Cup - Race Selection

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Breidr, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Just take into consideration that every MNG player will be substituted by a loner Hobo... That doesn't seem so bad until you've started w 3 of them.

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'd say chorfs are a bit more forgiving, like dwarves with training wheels ;)

3. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    No harm in trying both I suppose. I'll go make Naggaroth hate me, and then turn my sights onto CTA.

4. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    And you contend that is a bad thing? Also I disagree with you. I think they play quite similarly to Orcs. Not the same but similar. To a somewhat lesser extent they also play like Chorfs and Nurgle who have mutations. That opens up a lot of options D0rfs don't have at the expense of starting skills.

5. skullashtray

skullashtray Active Member

Country Flag:
    take dwarves i say as long as you kill elves who cares what race you are

6. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    I like the way you think.

7. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    Chaos Dwarves have more long-term potential because of the old rule - stats < skills < stats+skills. Bull Centaurs, Minotaurs (although that's a thorny subject) and to an extent even hobgoblins give you far more bang for your buck due to their stats (even if the only good thing about hobs is higher speed and agility than most of your team). Ordinary dwarves just have skills, and high skill teams tend to fall off (see 'zons and Norse).

8. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    Dwarves as an anti elf team is kind of a misconception. Dwarves are most annoying to the non-ag4 teams that rely on dodge. I find humans, norse, or undead (in that order) to be much better at bashing elves.

9. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    psh, speak for yourself! highest SPP and TV team in the CC with norse!

10. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    Emphasis 'tend to' :p

I'll also point out that that's not quite the same question. An elf or chaos team with the same TV and SPP would probably, on paper, be more effective due to superior base stats.

11. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Chaos don't have that amazing stats though - their selling point is mutations, no? (And universal S access, which is something only they have)

12. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Ivagree, CWs have good stats but with beastmen its all about the amazing skill access for a lineman piece though their stats aren't bad by any means (a lot like human linemen no?)

13. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Chaos blitz with STR4 with every piece (Mino excluded...).
    This is not a great advantage early when other skills are missing, but later on it is still a considerable advantage. If you get a beast (or CW) with +STR, they blitz a big guy at 2D with one assist. And they have access to ClawPOMB...

The great skill access, of course, is at least as important as the Horns.

14. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    ah, but there is your problem....those base stats cost something

an elf or chaos team could NOT have the same TV and SPP unless they were far lower on players, since their players also COST more. A same TV team (such as the two similar TV teams in Division 1 of the CC this season) has significantly less SPP and skills. A same SPP team is far higher in TV, and would be giving up inducements, most notably bribes, to far cheaper players with easy access to DP

Stats < Skills < Both may be true, but in general, at the same TV level, its also an impossibility, since norse, amazon, human, dwarf players start with more skills, and except for dwarves, are also notably cheaper than other races, meaning more players/skills per TV.

Its true that some highly skilled players on those teams tend to stall out on usable skills, but i really don't see a problem with a level 6 dwarf blocker choosing skills...Guard/SF/MB/Grab/Dauntless/Frenzy/PO are all workable skills on a dwarf blocker without even looking at doubles. The positionals have it even easier. Its not until you start looking at things like level 5+ norse linemen that you start wondering what skill you could possibly take...and at that point i think you have a rather rare problem.

I see humans, amazons, and norse having trouble at high TV due to low armor, and skills that cancel their benefits, NOT stats (in human's case its the fact that their most outstanding player, the catcher with it's speed 8, is also ST2). For dwarves, the reason they have trouble is Claw....and really, any high armor, slow team has trouble facing claw-killers at high TV.

15. Evil

Evil Member

Country Flag:
    this is offtopic but i have a feeling that breidr streams ?

16. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    I do!

twitch.tv/Beidr

#shameless plug

Hopefully this isn't a bad thing...

17. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    I'm actually making this the point of my Naggaroth Open team. The 2000 TV challenge. It may be impossible, but when W/L doesn't matter as much, I felt the need to put another carrot in front of my face.

18. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    In my experience its not the nurgle/chaos teams you'll face the most of in Nagg...

get very very used to facing Chaos Dwarves. every a-hole and his mother has a +agility blodge Cen-tard surrounded by 5 clawgsfomb linedwarves. (that's claw guard standfirm piling on mighty blow...)

I exaggerate a little. but not much.

My Nagg Necro team has two MB wolves and lots of guard. I usually purchase a quit with enemy blood by turn 4. ;)

That may be different at higher than 1800, but the 1000-1700 bracket is all Chorfs.