1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crunch Cup Wants You!

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Gallows Bait, May 14, 2013.

1. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    All,

As some of you may know from recent discussions around the place, I am currently looking to take a break from the role of Crunch Cup commissioner, for many reasons, but in no small part due to the fact that after 3 years and nearly a thousand Blood Bowl matches, I'm feeling pretty burned out with the game. I'm certain that a factor for me has been, and always will be, my obsessive and compulsive nature (something that anyone who has seen my perpetual quest to reach a 50% win ratio will no doubt attest to).

I simply cannot do anything by halves. When I came into Blood Bowl it was very casual, but I have since found myself in a position where I have been active every single day for nearly 3 years. I have for a big part of that time administrated two leagues and been active in those leagues on a continual basis for a long time. I have taken on too much and it has eventually taken all the fun out of it for me.

Obsession eventually leads to burn out, and much like many other games I have played, and no doubt others I will yet play, I am pretty much worn out and need to do something different, I need to bring life back in to balance so that I am not spending my time worrying about getting match schedules and validations done week in week out on an ongoing basis.

As such, Crunch Cup XI will be the end of my current involvement in the Cup, I will oversee the Cup until the final of this season, and that leaves Crunch Cup without a commissioner. We have seasoned administrators and a great community, so I thought it best to get this out in the open as soon as possible, so that the community as a whole can decide what direction to take.

Are there volunteers chomping at the bit wanting the chance to run a league? Are there a team of willing volunteers that think it could be handled in a less totalitarian manner than the current regime? I don't know, but I think its only fair people be presented with the options.

On short, after taking over in season 8 from our beloved Netsmurf, who himself took over the mantle from Narly Bird in season 2, it is once more time for fresh blood to determine the direction that this much loved and popular community league takes.

Are you the person to do that?

Regards

GB

2. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for all the hard work GB, you took it to 80 participants flawlessly! No mean feat.

Enjoy your break, hopefully you come back even if it is playing on a casual basis!

3. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Agreeing 100% with Viajero here. You have been invaluable both for the tournament and the community here. I'm very glad to have been able to play in the CC under your administration, GB.

Add to that the fact that you are a swell guy I hope you will consider a comeback at least as a coach after you've shaken off the outburniness.

Thanks for all the effort you have put in and may you succeed in whatever endeavours your obsessive/compulsive nature takes a fancy to next ;)
    -Barm

4. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Your hard work is certainly much appreciated GB and it's understandable that you feel burned out too. Taking a break and trying something different for a while certainly sounds like a good idea.

Hopefully who ever takes over does half as good a job as you have done! Cheers mate! :)

5. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Its my first Crunch Cup but its still been awesome so thanks GB and hope you can come back some day so I can get a re-match. I'd potentially be willing to volunteer some time in order to make Crunch Cup XII happen as well so if there's a list being compiled somewhere my name can go on it.

6. kaos001

kaos001 Member

Country Flag:
    As a "first time entry" into the crunch cup as well I have to say that it has been a very well run and very enjoyable experience. So thank you GB for all the time and effort you put into it. I am more then willing to volunteer to help keep the crunch cup tradition going.

7. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    All the best GB, its been emotional.

8. Panda with issues

Panda with issues Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the support, commitment and leadership you've shown to the community.

9. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Thank you GB for taking over and pulling the knife out of my back when I needed it most - I owe you a drink:D

10. Mercy Flush

Mercy Flush Member

Country Flag:
    Gallows, thank you so much for the amazing effort you've invested
    here. The shear size of the tournament this season is a testament
    to your enthusiasm. Enjoy the rest of the Crunch Cup, then put
    your feet up for a bit.. but come back to us soon. You'll be missed.

11. Mordachai

Mordachai Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Mordachai
    Country Flag:
    Having been there myself I know what a BB burnout feels like. Take your time so you can enjoy the game when (if) you come back!

I'll gladly lend a hand to keep the league going (or be the person that is lent hands if necessary).

12. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I guess we all appreciate your hard work... wish you do come back.

I'm still on as moderator for your future replacement... to keep the work load down on the big boss.

13. Tyriok

Tyriok Member

Country Flag:
    This is also my first CC. Thanks for everything GB and good luck!!!

14. LoopH0LE

LoopH0LE Member

Country Flag:
    Cheers to you GB. Thank you for all the hard work you put in and all the s*&# you put up with. Have fun with whatever you cool off with, and come back soon!

15. willpower68

willpower68 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Well deserved GB..Thanks for let us be part of CC.. amazing

anyway, i am sure you just step down into all orginizing part then your luck and fun in the BB will be alot better and maybe you feel the fun comes back to do some more if have power for that..

anyway Hail GB good work

16. Midros

Midros Member

Country Flag:
    Cheers for all the hard work GB! Well deserved break I think! If your playing multi player games i'm sure some of us would like to play with you so keep in touch. Hopefully your break will get it sorted for you and you will be back for a future CC sometime :D

17. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, Im going to go out on a limb and say it is not a question of "if", but "when"! :D

And when you do, just take it casual and easy.

18. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    it bears repeating... you're a class act GB. Thank you for your commitment and hard work.

I just want to point out that a lot of the divisions for this years tournament have not finalized their spots and the last match day is upon us, with those that have sewn them up only doing so on the prior matchday. I think that's a huge testament to your ability as a commissioner, putting competetive teams and coaches against each other to have a fun and fair tournament where everyone has a chance to succeed. This is what the Crunch Cup is about and you exemplify that ideal.

Return to us soon so that you can play in this amazing tournament with wonderful people, but enjoy your break spending that extra time with your family. :)

19. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    I can only echo the other comments already posted on here GB.

You've poured a tremendous amount of effort and enthusiasm into the CC and the wider online BB community. Your mobilisation of the BBT troops for the Server Migration testing, along with focussing the bug fixing, helped reduce the impact the community felt as a result of that transition. :cool:

Enjoy the BB break (whatever form that may take!), and I hope your zest for playing the game returns in the not too distant future.

20. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    GB

Just like to echo the sentiments of my fellow Blood Bowlers and say thanks for everything you've done with the Crunch Cup. You've really taken it onto the next level and without the Crunch Cup there'd be no Courier and I'd be out of a job.

Good luck to whoever takes over. I vote for John so he can be Courier editor and CC commissioner, thus becoming the most powerful man in Blood Bowl.