1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crunch Cup XV - Divisions

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Nikolai II, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Might have been that I should have gone for divisions of six teams, and in the next Crunch Cup I shan't write that divisions will certainly be eight and instead give me some leeway.

But with pieces of eight, these are the three divisions. Matchday threads coming right up.

[​IMG]

2. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    any idea of playoff size? (I'm assuming it's one of 8, 12 or 16)

3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I hope its best of 16, gives me a chance to get into the playoffs:p

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    The playoffs will have a straight elimination ladder. The amount of teams in the ladder will be the multiple of 2 that best fits to give at least 1/3 but less than 2/3 of the teams a place in the playoffs. (By the nature of things there should only be one such number.)

This would make it 8

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Hmm..

I think I might prefer 16 actually. Any complaints if I change the rule to "more than a third, but no more than two thirds of the teams"?

(You'll have to complain hard and fast, because I do like bigger playoffs ;))

6. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Im with you Dreamy:D

7. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    not loving 12 man playoffs? everyone at both ends of the table is fighting for something all the way through the group stages

8. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    16 could mean 12 in the play off + the next 2-3 of each div in the wildcards.

9. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I am ok with any of the 3 possible choices (8, 12, 16). Any more than 16 would make me wonder why bother having a group stage at all, except to facilitate some fun friendlies.

My preference would be 12, actually, but 16 is much easier to administer. 8 makes the playoff spots very meaningful and hard to get, but does create the "I started 0-2-2, and now my last 3 games are probably meaningless" problem.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  10. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    How does one arrange a 12 player playoff? Three playoffs of 4 teams each and "best loser" carries on with the three winners?

11. Stratovarius

Stratovarius Member

Cyanide Username:
    Stratovarius
    Country Flag:
    Usually the top 4 seeds skip the first round, then play as per normal (so it goes 12 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1).

American college basketball uses it frequently.

12. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    what strat said

in this case:

16 man playoff = top 5 of every group + 1 6th. the top few spots in each division can go to sleep for the 2nd half of the season (and perhaps more importantly are incentivized not to fight for games) yaaaawwwwwn :p

12 man playoff = group winners + best 2nd get seeded, the other 2nds through to 4th fight in the prelim round of playoffs. making the second half of the group stages meaningful whether you started 4-0-0 or 1-0-3

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  13. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea, well, problem in Cyanide is they don't handle playoffs that well, but if there's a handy way to handle the prelim round to make it just one week..

14. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    if you're the one who creates the prelim round in game you should be able to just delete it after the first round to avoid the extra games on prelim teams.

it's not really any different from what you did for cc13

15. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    In CC13 it was two weeks of prelim. I dunno if you can delete a league mid-season. It might work, but perhaps something I should have tested first?

16. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    You must be able to.
    BBATTL has done all sort of different ways of qualifying to the final over the years and I am pretty sure that was one of them.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'll have to try it then, just to be sure.

Or an amusing option could be "Top four in every division, plus 4 wildcards picked at random" :p

18. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    The 4 plus 4 wild cards is better than 5 + 1 wild card if you go for 16 in the play offs.
    Wildcards can then play division 1 top 4 in the 1st round so seeding is a lot easier.
    Top 5 + 1 would make seeding really awkward.

19. Antonis

Antonis Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    So what is the format that we are going on with at the play-offs mates? How many teams and will there be any advantages for teams that finish higher? I am asking to have some knowledge of what my goal must be and where to push or go desperate in my games.

20. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Ok, now I've finished thinking.

Top four go on, plus four wild cards picked randomly from people who have played their games and still got some fight left in them. This will probably be the same people who would otherwise play CrC, but I think a good sized playoff is more important. (And one easy to manage is also a big draw ;))