1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crunch them all - open cyanide league in Blood Bowl 1 (LE/CE)

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 1' started by Netsmurf, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Cianybeasty

Cianybeasty Member

Country Flag:
    K, Request to join is sent. I decided on a Lord of the rings based team in the end, so watch out for "Fellowship of the Fling"! I'm normally on between 19:00 and 22:00 GMT, so watch out 4 me if u want a game :)

2. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    what I really want is to break the killer orcs out again. They are TV 1800 or so though, and were the leading cas inflicters and killers in CCIV (which is the real orc trophy after all :D).

3. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I've got a few teams in CTA ranging between about 1,100 and 1,600 tv (my favorites being the Gobs and Vampires - im a sucker for pain). Unfortunately i'm on GMT+9, so its rare that I ever see anyone online. If you do see me though, be sure to yell out and hopefully we can have a game.

4. Cianybeasty

Cianybeasty Member

Country Flag:
    And have a game we did! 2-2 draw not bad for a rookie halfling team :)

5. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    I had my first CTA match in a long while against Cianybeasty last night. He played as his rooky 850tv Halfling team and decided to challenge my 1,500tv Goblin team. This gave him a massive 650k in inducements, which is something I have never experienced before. He went Deeproot, Chef, Wizard, Ref bribe and Babe. I hadn’t played as Gobs in ages, but I really like the team, so was happy with his choice. I won the toss and elected to receive, fielding my looney and fanatic. The Chef stole 2 of my rerolls, which put me on the backfoot a bit, as Gobs really need rerolls.

During the first drive, my guys performed quite well. I ran it up the left flank and blitzed anyone in the way with my chainsaw. My Trolls and Looney tied up the Trees around center. There were 2 main trends during this drive – Cianybeasty’s dice were quite hopeless, whilst I just couldn’t hurt the Halflings or Treeman (although not really surprised about not hurting the Treeman). For example, Deeproot blitzed one of my Trolls on turn 1 or 2 and got :skull::skull:, with Loner cancelling the reroll. And on my side, I really floored a lot of Halflings, but got nothing worse than a stun. On turn 4 or 5, I had the option to stall and go to work with my secret weapons, or just score. Now normally I am against stalling, but if playing as Gobs I’m quite happy to (they have enough disadvantage anyway). But seeing as my opponent was Halfling, I thought it would be much more fun to score, even though the secret weapons would be sent off.

In Cianybeasty’s drive, he got the carrier in the cage around LOS and just slowly worked his way up the pitch. I went to work on stray Halflings, but still couldn’t get worse than a stun. Funnily, Frodo killed himself on a 1 dice block on 1 of my Goblins (my first injury caused and it was during the Halflings turn). A Treeman also KO’d one of my Trolls. On turn 8, a Treeman picked up the ball carrier and tossed him to the end zone. He landed it and ran in the TD. A textbook drive by the Flings. I forgot to mention my bombardier, who I fielded in that drive. We had some fun bomb tossing backwards and forwards and on a couple of occasions the bomb landed in the middle of a crowd, but it only managed to knock down 1 Fling the whole time. Quite a failure, although he at least didn’t cost me turnovers.

Half time: Picked Gerkins 1, Lord of the Flings 1

I had 3 secret weapons off the pitch, vs 1 dead Halfling and the Halflings were receiving. The Chef stole 3 rerolls from me, which really sucked though and put me massively on the backfoot. However this drive my Gobs and Trolls seemed to be able to injure Flings and overall I had really nice block dice this half. Cianybeast used the tactic of leaving Flings in my Gobs tackle zones, in the hope that I would fail a block and use my last reroll or suffer a turnover. I think this was a good tactic, but it didn’t work at all as every 2 dice block I did seemed to have a :pow: in it. Really lucky block dice for me.

Anyway, the Halflings, I assume due to suffering some casualties early, tossed the ball carrier around turn 10 or 11 and he scampered to near the end zone. I was able to get 2 Gobs back and 2-diced him to squash him against the sideline (unfortunately I got only :pushback::powdodge: result on the blitz). He didn’t really have anyone else near the carrier to lend support, so he had the option of three 3+ dodges to score and that’s about it. Or so I thought… Unbeknownst to me, Cianybeasty had heat seeking Halflings. He picked up a Halfling with a Tree and threw it at one of my markers, stunning him. That same Halfling then jumped up and blitzed the other marker out of the way. Its probably the best play I have ever seen a Halfling team do and I was cheering him on when the ball carrier just strolled in to score – first there were 2 markers, then there were none!

I had about 5 turns left and this was enough time to score. I got some more casualties on the Halflings and some juicy SPP for my Trolls and Gobs. The highlight of the drive was when my AG4 Gob was behind a loose screen on the left side of LOS, just inside my half. There weren’t many Flings on that side and I thought I could easily outpace them to just run it up and score. Little did I realise, that Cianybeasty had another heat seeking Halfling! One of the trees picked up the Halfling and tossed it directly onto my AG4 ball carrier, KO’ing him! An absolutely awesome play! Due to significant numbers advantage on that side of the pitch, I was still able to recover and score fairly easily, but this could easily have been the gameturner if I had failed the pick or handoff.

2 turns left and the score tied at 2-2, we get a weather event – rain. -1 to pick up, catch and pass. Turn 15 and first move the Flings fail to pick up the ball. I move a few of my Gobs up to put pressure near the ball for next turn and try to mark up all his Halflings. Unfortunately one of my sidestepping Gobs trips up and dies. The Flings then unleash their wizard who lightening bolts my diving tackle Gob, whilst they also block free a Tree and a Fling next to him. They pick up the ball, gfi, hand off to the Fling, toss him towards the end zone and he fails to land. If he had landed, they would have won the match.

Full time: Picked Gerkins 2, Lord of the Flings 2

So the final score was 2-2. Quite a good result for Cianybeasty considering the huge tv difference. A really fun match too and I am still amazed at how effective the living missiles were!

As I said earlier, I have not played against many Halfling teams before, but I would recommend for aspiring Halfling coaches to watch the replay of this match, as I think Cianybeasty played it really well.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. Cianybeasty

Cianybeasty Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for a superb battle report Narly, I thoroughly enjoyed that game myself :)
    I think my "heat-seeking halflings" were what kept me in that game, your general play was better than mine, but I think my ability to pull set pieces out of the bag kept it even. And that Land roll at the end! Even with a re-roll, it couldn't be!

7. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    That sounds so awesome! Stuff like that happening is why I play Blood Bowl. I'll probably have to watch the replay just for this moment.

8. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    I disagree and think you played the smarter game. To be honest , whilst i think my offense was pretty solid, i was a little lost on how to act on defense. Whereas you were agressive in marking up, i was the opposite and tried to keep my guys away from your Trees. But this let you advance to close enough that you could easily just toss the Halfling to the end zone.

And it was so nearly a win to you, if not for that failed landing on T16.

Yes, it was one of the coolest things i have seen in a long while. And the other throw where he KO'd my AG4 ball carrier was just pretty nuts too.

Regarding the replay, i assume i will have to upload it to bbmanager (just realised this now). Do we have a CTA league listed in bbmanager? Whats its name/password for uploading?

9. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    We do, I set one up. It's called Crunch Them All, and I think the password is "crunch" but it's been so long since I used it I'm not sure. My original post should be somewhere on this thread though.

10. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Buttom of page two:powdodge:

11. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Ok, for all those of you who want to see pinpoint accurate flying Halflings, I will upload the match tonight. :D

12. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    I withdrew my (unused) Ogre team from CTA (and deleted it). Never managed to play a game with them and they kind of lost the reason to exist. ;)
    I will be seeking to rejoin the league after the current Crunch Cup, either with The Sidekicks (my Goblin team from CC IV) or with Not Here To Win (my current CC Ogre team) - depending on which one of them I will submit for the epic CC VI.

13. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    Etheric - I will be adding my CCIV team to the league next week and would like to play your hardy orcs. It says I finished 3rd (on TD difference) but we need it official! :bothdown:

14. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yeah sure pick a time and we can play. I am in stockholm so GMT+2.

Sunday evening is normally a good time, but can see. With 7 kills (or 8 if you include the crowd kill) and a load of injuries they are getting quite nasty. I do need some spp before taking on superghoul and co again though for sure.

15. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I'm not playing well in CCV so I wouldn't mind squeezing a quick CTA game in this weekend to try and get my mojo back. If there are any takers PM me with when you're free and I'll see if I can manage it.

16. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Unfortunately Rusty's mojo was lost and couldn't be found. He challenged my Gob team with his Nurgle and after i put in 50k of my own funds to get a bribe, it gave him about 200k in inducements, which went to a wizard and babe. The babe was gold (3 of his KO players came back), but the wizard was a fizzer.

After causing 2 injuries and 3 KO's in my 1st drive on receiving, i went into the 2nd half 1-0 up (star was my ball n chain dude). 2nd half and i got another injury and a KO and he was seriously down in numbers, but played it smart and managed to get really close to scoring. In the end (after numerous turnovers on both sides) he needed a 4+ to score, but the dice werent having any of it.

He didnt cause a single injury on my Gobs, whilst i caused 4 injuries. Really nuts armour rolls on my side. His 2d6 luck was something like -10!

A fun game though and good to play against my old CTA sparring buddy after a long break. We also had a good chat in-game which made it quite enjoyable.

17. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    I've set up a necro team for CTA: The Hollywood Hounds.
    If anyone is up for a match send me a PM through these forums. (I'll needto wait for approval from netsmurf first :p)

18. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Like I think I said at the time, that match was a mixture of painfully funny and funnily painful! The ball & chain seemed to have laser-guided accuracy in the first half, and then when Narly accidentally used the bribe on the (KOd) Chainsaw instead of the Ball & Chain, the Chainsaw promptly woke up and started wreaking havoc in the second! Brilliant fun, and it's swaying me towards Goblins for CCVI and beyond...

I managed to squeeze another game in with Etheric last night, my Khemri against I Think They Saurus of CCsomething (III?) fame. Finally I had some good luck with injury rolls, causing 4 in the first half - the Krox and 2 Sauruses to boot! Even though it was pouring rain I managed the pickup first time (very lucky since there was a riot so I had one less turn to score), and with only 7 on the pitch there wasn't much Etheric could do to stop me scoring in turn 8. Worth saying here that I seemed to keep getting :pow: when hitting his Skinks too, which was crucial with having no Tackle, although come to think of it I had a bit of Block.

In the second half I thought I was doing okay and was reasonably confident until I realised the power of an AG4 Skink as he dodged 3 times to break through and then GFI twice to get one square from the endzone. I blitzed with a rookie Skeleton and got :bothdown::bothdown: and chose not to reroll it, since I needed a :pow: to get a more useful block and with the rain the pickup would be more difficult for the Skink than another dodge if I'd only got :pushback:or:powdodge:. Unfortunately the pickup worked anyway and it was 1-1. Despite the numbers it was then Etheric who was the more likely winner as the rain scuppered my chances to pick the damn ball up again, and had another riot not shortened the half to 7 turns I almost certainly would've lost. So while it was partly a bit frustrating not to win after such an early numbers advantage, it was also a relief to draw with Khemri in pouring rain against a seasoned CC veteran!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  19. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Glad to see you put the boot in a bit, since he beat my high Elves 2-1 previous game. :cool:

The +AG was what he rolled up after though, so a bit of a trade off it seems. My High Elf blitzer also got +AG so I'm looking forward to using him too. :)

20. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    I will likely be online later tonight if anyone is looking for a CTA game. Although best to keep in ming that tonight my time is around 2pm UK time (i'm GMT+9).

I'm hoping for a game with my Nurgle team (currently down to 3 Warriors) with tv around 1,320 or my newish Human team with tv around 1,200.