1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elves - Lords of Westeros

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Barristan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Pretty much. It doesn't make you click again, but it is tricky and not that intutive - easy to make a mistake when in a hurry. It might be worth it to do a hotseat game of Norse vs Norse to get to try it out a few times and get a feel for which choice is the right one for whichever result you want to have.

While we're at odd blitz bugs - if you want to dodge away from someone and blitz them from another angle you need to check blitz, run away and only then finish. If you preplan the entire blitz move the computer will cheerfully overlook the moving part and just block right away even if it means you end up with two dice against instead of two dice for. :rolleyes:

2. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    That's happened to me.

Or trying to get the computer to let you Leap over someone so you can Blitz them from the other side.

Ugh.

I miss my Agility 5, Leap, Wrackle, MB WE.

3. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah Nikolai, noticed that one recently as well. Lucky I noticed the 2 red dice before I clicked... As for JU, I definitely need to try again.

Thanks Lebe, I really sweated on that one and had pretty much given up by T15. Lucky for me my opponent rolled a ridiculous amount of :pow: at the start and didn't keep any for the end (he had 53% block success with 2 tackle pieces against 9 Blodge + 3 Dodge).

Forgot to mention an all new bug my opponent didn't notice (just checked the logs in BBmanager as I did see the first one in game): according to the logs, my opponent rolled a 4+5+1(MB) as injury against my Witch and got a KO... Then on his last turn rolled 6+6 as injury against my Assassin and got another KO... Anyone seen that before ?! :confused: Not that I complain...

My next opponent is called damienJDR and has a nice ratio of 68% win in game. To be precise he had 3 new teams, one at 7 games, 2 at 8 and one at 12 games as opponents and ended first of the lot. Really impressive, I'm looking forward to play against him. So far he has a Block on a Wolf, a Zombie and a FG, Guard on a Wight, and Block/SH on a Ghoul. But he will get 16 random SPP as first of his group before we meet.

I have to decide if I should get one lino to be back to 11 fit players, 2 to have a replacement or none and take the loner. Assuming he will have a TV of 1350 (1310 now), the inducements would be 490K or 560K depending on my choice. Any advice on this?

4. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Congrats on the win, although it sounds like you paid for it with the casualties!

Regarding the Jump Up UI issue - the best way to get round it as far as I remember is as follows:

Select the prone player with JU that you wan't to blitz with.

Click the Blitz button instead of right clicking on the target player.

Right click on your own player so that he stands up while the lightning bolt symbol is still above him.

Now right click on the target, or perform a dodge or what ever you want to do before actually making the blitz.

That should work. Right clicking directly on the target player from prone makes the game think you want to use Jump Up instead of blitz.

5. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Awesome Danton, cheers! :) I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah that was painful, but then again having suffered no casualties at all this season I had it coming for me. My AG5 lino will be missed but in all honesty he was one of the players I would have elected to loose if I had a choice as he didn't yet bring that much to the team. I'm actually more annoyed about the niggle on my Wrodge/Fend lino.

Is it normal that no SPP are scored in overtime btw? Like written in the LRB6? Or another Cyanide homemade f***-up? Cost me a lvl-up on my blitzer :(

6. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Or just press b;)

7. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    There are no SPP for overtime, just think if two friends managed to get to overtime and stood around passing a thousand times:p

8. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Ah. Makes sense. Which probably answers my other question as well, there can be no injuries in overtime. Well, lucky me on this one! :D

9. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    I played my 1/4 finals game against the Lupus Dei coached by damienJDR tonight.

As they say, Nuffle giveth and Nuffle taketh away... My opponent was unable to stop my guys from doing as they pleased but kicked the living snot out of them.

I bought a replacement lino dubbed Beric Dondarrion Reborn Once to get back to 11 fit players, giving my opponent 480K inducements. He selected Nekbrekereh, a Wizard and a Bribe.

We kicked-off under the rain, but it turned to a good weather straight away. First turn saw my new LOS lino being KOed and my Assassin getting a smashed collar bone, which I decided to leave like that. Sorry Daemon... You did well last game. I quickly infiltrated players on his side thanks to a very good kick despite my kicker being in the hospital. He proceeded to cage deep in his half, but my Guard piece got in and I managed to stuck a Blitzer to the carrier while surrounding the cage. T3 he could only move his carrier one square away and failed to down my players. A nice blitz later, the ball was on the ground next the the sideline, and Brienne scooped it up to score after 2 GFI.

Lords 1-0.

The kick-off saw a blinding sunshine illuminating the pitch. Beric came back only to be BH during the scrimmage, and my opponent caged mid-field. Using my Guard piece at best, I managed to stick two SSers on his carrier regardless. He transmitted to a WW during his T7, but his blitz failed to down Asha, and he then missed his dodge, dropping the ball. Asha picked-up but failed the pass to my forward player despite a RR. He yet again failed to down her, so she managed to pick-up again T8 only to fumble the pass again (with RR). I guess living in the dark doesn't get you used to the sunshine.

Halftime 1-0.

Thanks to a high kick, I made a pocket on the left side in his half. My placement proved to be poor though, as he managed to blitz my Runner who failed his dump-off, and the ball ended on the sideline with a WW next to it. Asha proved her awesomeness again though, dodging in, picking-up, dodging out and passing (with RR) to Barristan in the EZ.

Lords 2-0.

The next kick-off saw a pitch invasion that left me 6 players versus his 7. He then stunned another one and moved his carrier mid-field behind two players. My Blitzers went on his back though and downed the carrier, Asha picked-up in 2TZ and transmitted to my Runner. During his turn he made a KO and a BH on a foul with his dirty player, and I failed my dump-off again. Asha recovered yet again though and ran behind a screen of 3 players. He then made another KO and a MNG on Barristan, bolted one screener and downed Asha with a timely :pow:. But failed his pick-up in one TZ. Asha jumped on her feet, picked-up (RR), handed off to Loras in one TZ, who dodged away and passed to Renly, who ran out of reach of the defenders. I suffered another foul without consequence and scored the third T14.

Lords 3-0.

6 players left (I made nothing better than a couple stuns). After suffering 2 more KOs, I had only a desperate 1D blitz with Asha to prevent him from scoring, but she got :pushback: and was then BH turn 16 before he scored his consolation TD. At which point I had 3 players on the pitch.

Final score 3-1 (0-5 in cas).

I suffered 5 casualties and 5 KO's while inflicting a single KO all game. Bear in mind he had 0 MB or PO or Tackle. And complained a lot about not rolling :pow:'s :rolleyes:

In all fairness Asha won the game pretty much single-handedly despite failing two passes. She just danced all over the place and got the ball whenever she wanted it. Only 1 SPP to show for it, but both my lvl3 blitzers levelled-up (too bad Barristan will miss the next game, but I didn't dare using my Apoth), and Brienne is only a completion away from lvl4 as well.

I will probably have to sack Daemon, although he is stabbing a lot STR2 is asking for it. Such a shame after he saved the team in the 1/8 finals...

Anyway, the Lords are through to the semi-finals! :D

EDIT: I should face either another Necro team or the Dark Elf team that bested me during regular season. With one Tackle piece missing either match-up will be difficult.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  10. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    My roster currently looks like this:

Ser Barristan Selmy - Blitzer : Tackle, Dodge - 33 SPP - skill pending, MNG
    Renly Baratheon - Blitzer : Dodge, Guard - 31 SPP - skill pending
    Ser Loras Tyrell - Blitzer : Dodge, Tackle, Side Step - 37 SPP
    Jaime Lannister, Kingslayer - Blitzer : Dodge, Strip Ball, Side Step - 40 SPP
    Oberyn Martell - Runner : Strong Arm, Pass - 28 SPP
    Asha Greyjoy - Witch : +1 AG, Wrestle - 24 SPP
    Brienne of Tarth - Witch : Block, Side Step - 30 SPP
    Robb Stark - Lineman : Wrestle, Dodge, Fend - 34 SPP - niggle
    Sandor Clegane - Lineman : Wrestle, Dodge, Side Step - 31 SPP
    Jorah Mormont - Lineman : Wrestle, Dodge - 27 SPP
    Rhaegar Targaryen - Lineman : Kick, Dodge - 19 SPP
    Beric Dondarrion Once Reborn - Lineman - 0 SPP
    Daemon Blackfyre - Assassin : Dodge - 6 SPP -1ST, MNG

4RR, 10FF, Apoth

I was going to give SS to Renly and Barristan on normal rolls, but with the latter being out for a game where I'll probably have to face at least 4 Blodges, I wonder if I should give him Tackle... Probably better to plan for the future and stick to SS though. Any thoughts?

My Assassin will likely get the boot and be replaced by either another Assassin or a Lino.

11. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I would give SS to both personally. Guard blitzers really need SS to be truly effective and it's rarely a good idea to allocate skills solely based on your next match!

Also dump your assassin now and either get another lino, or a second runner instead! ;)

12. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the advice, Danton. I take you're not blown away by the Assassins then :) I'll go for SS then barring doubles (unlikely).

What would be the advantage of a second Runner though? How would you build him?

13. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Assassins can be fun to take early in a team's development, but once the team gets beyond a certain point taking a new assassin becomes more of an expensive liability!

I often take a second runner as a fourteenth player, although I usually end up with one again, as it's hard to keep two of them alive and well! Ideally I try and build one as a passer and one as a receiver. I normally give the first runner more defensive skills, because he has to spend more time on the pitch at low tv. This runner then transitions into the receiver and the second runner is then built as the main ball-carrier with more passing skills.

So the first runner I take usually gets: Dodge, NoS, Block (or Wrestle) in that order. After that he could take Catch and maybe even Pass Block in order to give him a more active defensive role.

The second runner usually aims to get, Pass, Accurate, Dodge, Sure Hands with Strong Arm on doubles.

Two runners give you more speed on offense and can make it easier to stall for longer too.

14. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    I'd go for SS too even if you're a bit low on tackle, don't forget you also have a lots of wrestler to get down those blodgers!

I also wouldn't buy another assassin but well, you already know lots of coach aren't into them, Im one of them and wouldn't even have bought one in the first place :p

About a second runner, it's hard enough to protect 2 witches and a runner, Id stick with linos.

15. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Assassins are ok against Low armor... but having low armor themselves...

16. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    I would take Side Step on both.

Dodge, Tackle, Side Step, Diving Tackle for the perfect Dark Elf Marker.

Dodge, Guard, Side Step for the perfect Dark Elf assist.

I try to keep two Blitzers with Dodge, Side Step, Tackle, Diving Tackle on a developed Druchii squad.

17. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I'll probably give up on the Assassin for now, even if I can't forget he saved me against Orcs (of all teams :rolleyes:) he wasn't very useful in most games. I'll definitely give him another go later on though.

SS it will be and probably an extra lino, I'm not so keen on having a second Runner considering he really only brings +1MA at the start and I found mine really slow to skill-up.

Can't wait for lvl 5 and my first Blodge/SS/DT :D

18. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Blodge, Side Step, Diving Tackle, Tackle is one of the very best skill combinations available for the Dark Elf Defense.

It's a total game changer.

If I never rolled Doubles or Stats, I would go for 4 Blitzers with that combo.

19. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Agreed Anglakhel. DT as the last skill I presume?

Anyway I rolled my lvl-ups, my Guard Blitzer has taken SS as planned, but Selmy has rolled 11 and got +AG! :)

I also sacked my Assassin and took a new Lino. My TV for the next game is at 1920, I will wait to see who my opponent is to decide if I buy a 14th player.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  20. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    The order of Diving Tackle and Tackle depends on how much Tackle I already have. If I'm good with Tackle, I might take DT first, even though it's not optimal. It can still be great and disrupt enemy movement. Always need Side Step first though to make sure the player can't be easily knocked off.

Selmy should get Leap next imo.

I had an awesome Blitzer that started with Tackle and then got +1 Agility and became my Leaping primary Blitzer. Selmy already has Dodge which helps. Leap next and let this guy be the constant threat you need.

Your other Blitzers can develop into your DT'res. Tyrell appears the most suitable to focus on that build assuming no Doubles.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012