1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elves - Lords of Westeros

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Barristan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Sounds good to me, Selmy and Asha will be my leapers as I have witnessed how awesome this skill can be (and it will probably cost me dearly next game if I face the Delf coach again :rolleyes:).

What really pains me with this team is how nicely it is developping... Because since this season, the league rules state that one cannot have more than 7 players with 28+ games in the team and no more than 3 with 56+ games. To avoid well experienced teams squatting the top forever apparently. This didn't go down well with the coaches and might change. But as it is, my starting players are reaching 25 games and I will have to start sacking some good players after next season shall they live this long. Knowing how hard it is to keep an Elf team in a fit state, this really seems unfair. I mean what is the point of having a perpetual league then?

If this carries on, I'll very likely join the OCC/SCC and drop the Francobowl. Should be nice to get slaughtered by you guys :D

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Given all their weird rules, you might be better off elsewhere.

On the other hand, it also sounds as a rule that is supposed to reduce the Claw-POMB:ers to roughly three per team. :p
    (Not that they need more ;))

3. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    That is a bit strange.

Wish Cyanide would let leagues adjust SE and other elements of the setup.

4. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    I would go Leap for Asha and get Brienne Tackle next. Asha needs Tacle too, or maybe Strip Ball, but I prefer Tackle. Still, I think Leap gives you more options to hit the Ball Carrier.

5. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I don't like those new rules and that's why I left the FrancoBowl. It's supposed to hit bash team more than agile ones but I really think it sucks and I reacted exactly as you did: what's the point of a perpetual league if you have to sack players?

And I confirm it: agi 5 leapers are a pain in the ass of any opponent you'll face. You can leap into a cage and kick the hell out of their ball carrier :)

6. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Don't they have divisions so that players are more or less facing similar opposition ?

7. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    If you had a Dodge, +AG (say elf or high elf) catcher, in a very bashy/fouling league, will you give him next Leap or Block (Wrestle)?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    @ Viajero: I'm no expert on Leap (yet) but I'd go Wrestle first.

@ Lebe: They do, there were 4 divisions with several leagues in each when I arrived. I started in Div 4 and moved up to Div 3, at which point they removed the Div 4 for lack of coaches :rolleyes: Their point is seemingly that they noticed the prevalence of bashy high armored teams squatting the top rankings and they thought these new rules would push coaches to select lighter and more fragile teams, who are also faster to level-up. And from what they said force the coaches to have a player rotation and make managerial decisions...

I partially see their point, but like Nikolai said, a team with 3 Claw/MB/PO is enough to destroy another team. And let's face it, even the nastiest of killers can be maimed/killed on a bad day, he will normally be targeted quite often. See my first game this season when I trampled to death a ST6/Block/Guard/BT Mummy with a Lino... :cool:

Sooooo I will probably follow Bintz when I have to start sacking my players who were brave enough to survive 28+ games...

9. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    It also avoids teams where you have a bunch of weak linos with 3-4 stars that totally outmatch anything the oppos have. They punch above their TV value.

Still it seems cruel to force them to ditch star players

10. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Id probably go with block/wrestle first. Leap is useful to escape but also to blitz inside cages and such, if you don't have block/wrestle to do so, I believe you lose a good part of the benefits.

11. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Block or Wrestle first. I prefer Wrestle on my Leapers because I want to maximize the odds they'll take down a Ball Carrier.

12. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    I will face my semifinals opponent later this week, and he will be the Dark Elf coach who deafeated me in the regular season. As an aside, 3 coaches out of the last 4 come from my group, the other 2 beside me being the ones who triumphed over my Lords. Says a bit about them I suppose :)

His roster currently looks like this:

Witch - Block, +2ST, MB
    Witch - Wrestle, Tackle
    Blitzer - Dodge, SS
    Blitzer - Dodge, SS, Tackle
    Blitzer - Dodge, MB, SS, Tackle
    Blitzer - Dodge, +1AG, Leap
    Lino - Dodge, Wrestle, -1 MA
    Lino - Wrestle
    Lino - Wrestle
    Lino - Kick, -1 ST

4 RR, Apoth, 10 FF, TV 1810, 390k in the bank.

He lost 2 linos in his last game, one being a Wrodger. So even if he takes a mercenary only, his TV will be 1880 against my 1920. Despite his 2 MB pieces, I think I will avoid buying a 12th fit player as to not give him any inducements. Or should I?

I fully expect it to be a nigh impossible to win game. Although I was a bit nuffled last time, he plays very well and with 3 Tackle/2 MB vs my 1 Tackle/0 MB, it will be tricky. And there is still this infamous Witch around and the leaper to be reckoned with.

Any words of advice from the wise Druchii out there? The winner of this game will face either this awesome Orc coach or a nasty Chaos team (my money is on the Orcs).

13. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    That's a scary Witch.

At least she doesn't have Tackle yet.

14. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Semi-finals vs The Darkside Cathars coached by Coachmac.

My opponent bought 2 new Linos before the game, so I bought one as well, giving myself 1990 TV vs his 1960 (and 13 players vs his 12).

I won the toss and elected to receive to give Bintz's advice a try.

After we won a RR each during the kick-off, I threw 4 ineffective blocks and made Brienne pass to my Runner to get her to level 4. He moved his players prudently to bar the way, so I moved to the left side of the pitch on my turn 2 and started pushing along the sideline, hoping to use my 5 sidesteppers to my advantage. It nearly went badly when he attempted to crowdsurf Asha who was dangerously isolated, but the second block came up :skull::bothdown:, rerolled to get the same result! Both witches fell wrestling on the ground to the howls of delight from the crowd. I kept on pushing during my turn 4, Loras BHed a Wrodge Lino and I fouled the fallen Witch for another BH - the crowd went berserk when Asha was splattered with her blood. He failed an early 3+ dodge to get away from Loras (Tackle Blitzer) during his turn, so after a moment of doubt I decided to take advantage of the situation and my Runner passed to Brienne who scored the opener after 1 GFI T5.

Lords 1-0.

My kicker landed the ball on the half line, but he promptly picked it up and backed away into his half, levelling up a blitzer with completion in the process. His killer blitzer BHed Robb Stark (niggle irrelevant since he rolled 11 for the injury). I simply walled up, trying to spread my TZs, but his monster Witch inflicted a Niggle on my kicker T6 (after a cruel bit of thinking I asked my Apoth to remain seated) and he made a pocket on the right side in my half. I stuck as many players as possible to his cage, but some fancy blitzing and dodging in his T7 allowed him to pull away and make another cage deep in the middle of my half. Again I tried to block his way and made another foul to no avail this time, but there were too many openings and a double dodge allowed him to score the equaliser T8.

Half-time 1-1, 11 vs 10 (for me). I finished the half with 4 RR. :rolleyes:

The kick-off gave a blitz!, I moved up my Guard Blitzer and blitzed with my Tackle piece to try and get rid of his killer Blitzer, to get :bothdown::pushback: rerolled to the same. I still messed up his blocking setup by moving assists and infiltrated my SB piece. He caged mid-half and again I tried to spread my players in a cloud in front of it. In a surprinsing move, he then mobilised 6 players to prevent my Guard piece from sidestepping and surfed him with his Witch. The enraged crowd killed Renly on the spot, but my Apoth did surprisingly well once again and revived him with an offering to Khaine. He had two lines of 3 players against the sideline, his carrier at the end of the second one, and two players screening in front.

Time for a hero play, thought I. I moved a rookie Lino to cancel the assists of the carrier (2 GFI). Jaime then moved in for the 1D blitz after one dodge and 2 GFI. Result :pushback:, ball loose in 2 TZ. I sent another rookie Lino as far off as possible, then Asha rushed for the pick-up (3+), dodged away and passed to said Lino. All this succeeded with no RR spent :) I screened the carrier as best I could with my remaining player.

He replied with a hero play of his own, dodging twice to bring an assist, then leaping his blitzer for the Blitz that came up :pow::powdodge:. The ball went off bounds, and was thrown back in my half, behind 4 of my players. He nonetheless managed to dodge in a blitzer and his freakin' Witch who made the pick-up, then more players attempted to tie mine (he made something like 6 dodges and 4 GFI with 1RR used).

His placement was good, meaning my 4 guys were in their own. 3 of them lined-up for the assists (all after dodging), then Loras dodged away for the 1D blitz, which came up :powdodge: The ball was loose again, but Brienne rolled a double 1 for the catch, luckily it ended in 4 TZ. He managed to remove 2 during his turn, KOing Jorah, but failed the pick-up all the same, and Loras caught the rebound.

He then dodged away, transmitted to a rookie Lino, who moved up, passed to Asha, and she ran away 1 square from the EZ and out of reach of anyone. This was my T12.

Next turn he proceeded to beat my players but quickly failed a Dodge. I kept screening as best I could and stalling, but when he made no attempt to run after my Witch on his following turn we had this chat:

Me: ' Giving up are you?'
    Him: ' Not completly'.
    Me: ' That's too bad, you have plenty of time to equalise.'
    Him: 'You play better, you deserve to win.'
    Me: 'Think so?? I don't!'
    Him: 'What's the point? We both move up to Division 2, and I don't fancy taking a beating at the hands of a killer team. You're welcome to it.'
    Me: '...!'

Spoiling my victory, would you? :rolleyes: I was ever so slightly disappointed with the attitude, it had been a very tense game up to that point. To add to that, he gang fouled one of my Blitzers with 5 guys in his T16.

Me:'Point?'
    Him:'Just want to kill someone... Missed the Witches and Runner. Good luck in the final by the way.'

Well... His foul gave a KO and I scored the winner T16.

Final score 2-1 Lords.

I think I would have won in the end even if he had scored the equaliser, but yeah, I was disappointed he gave up.

My kicker will miss the final, but Brienne scored 9 SPP this game (got the MVP as well) and Asha 4, putting her on 28 and a TD away from Leap!

This evening the Orc coach conceded the other semi-finals (he's had a baby 12 days ago, so I fully understand). Meaning I will face the Chaos team. This is quite a relief, I felt I was badly matched-up against such a good team and moreover such a good coach. On the other hand taking my revenge during the final would have been sweet. Oh well...

I will post my opponent roster soon, hopefully after he gets his free 16 SPP.

In the meantime, I need some advice. Assuming a normal roll, should I give my Block/SS Witch Tackle or Dauntless? So far I have 0 Dauntless and 2 Tackle pieces.

Thanks for reading! :)

Fun fact: So far, I have never been beaten twice by the same coach in this league. :p

15. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    My final opponent roster looks like this:

Mino - Claw, Tentacles, SF
    CW - Block, Claw, MB
    CW - Block, Guard
    CW - Block, +1 ST
    CW - Block
    Beast - MB
    Beast - Wrestle, Tackle
    Beast - Wrestle
    Beast - Block, X-Arm, Big Hand
    Beast - Block, +1 ST, MB, SH
    Beast - Block
    Beast - Dirty Player
    Beast - Naked

4 RR, Apoth, 8 FF, TV 1960.

Bear in mind he will get 2*5 + 2*3 SPP sprinkled over this.

An interesting team, quite balanced. Providing his killer CW doesn't level-up for Tackle (he is at 48 SPP), the Mino is the biggest pain imo. But Loner/WA remains very unreliable.

I'm very tempted by Dauntless for my Witch considering all this strength, it would make it easier to make some room without needing 2/3 assists. In the long run I believe at least one Dauntless player is always useful and a Witch is the best positional for it. Thoughts?

EDIT: the game has been validated, I went for Dauntless (normal roll). My opponent has been unlucky and will get a single skill on his rookie Beastman. If he rolls normal, the TV will be 1980 for him and 2090 for me. My guess would be a Bribe there...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  16. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Final game vs Les Theoriques du Chaos coached by Captain Teu.

My opponent has picked Tackle on his rookie Beast and I'm giving away 110K in inducements, which he uses to take a bribe.

The first attempt to play is abandoned due to the 12 players bug on my side.

The second one is good, and it's a short kick (my kicker is out for this one). Things start badly with Robb Stark taking another niggling injury after rolling 12 for his injury roll, I choose not to use the Apoth. He picks-up with his ST4/SH beast and cages 2 squares away from the LOS. I merely surf a lonely Beast on my T1 for a stun and a RR burnt on a GFI. He starts moving up his cage, and my T2 is brutally shortened by a double 1 to dodge away a rookie Lino. On his T3, he moves on my right side, gathers up 6 players around my fallen Guard piece for a gang foul that gives only a stun and leaves his carrier exposed near the sideline. I move my players to cut his assists (luckily there is no Guard next to the carrier) and blitz with Brienne. Dauntless works wonder, the first block gives a :pushback:, the second is a 2D thanks to a well placed Lino and yields :pushback::pow:. The ball is loose behind my lines and I move my AG5 blitzer to put a second TZ on the skin while Asha (AG5 Witch) is sent forward as receiver.

He tries to surround my guys but SS gives him lot of trouble, and he can't get near the ball, although his Mino manages to mark Asha. I manage to pick-up with my AG5 blitzer and make a half-cage deep in my own half, while Asha escapes the tentacles and is screened by two blitzers. During his T5, his killer CW ends the life of Brynden Tully (rookie Lino) and he puts 3 players next to my carrier. Selmy dodges away easily, passes to Asha (RR on the pass) and she runs out of reach, 2 squares from the EZ. Loras KOs a Beast to improve things a bit. His mino blitzes my meagre screen the following turn, and I choose to play safely. After two blocks, I score the opener T6, levelling-up Asha in the process!

Lords 1-0.

The kick-off yields a RR for me, it's another midfield kick. He blitzes my left winger with his Wrackle Beast but gets :pushback::pushback: RR :bothdown::bothdown:. He then opts for a desperate play and picks-up/transmits with his SH Beast to the X-Arm one who runs forward isolated, while the rest of his players try and tie mine. To top it up, his DP is sent off after failing to break armour and the referee pockets the bribe but maintains his decision :rolleyes:

T7, Brienne sacks the carrier easily, my Runner picks-up and hides behind a screen while I send forward my two AG5 players as receivers. He manages to wrestle down Asha and triple mark Selmy, but the latter dodges away, runs to the EZ and Oberyn delivers a long bomb from midfield to make it 2-0!

Half-time 2-0 Lords.

He kicks shallow on the right and gets a RR this time. I move 4 players along the left-hand side and transmit the ball to my Runner behind my LOS. He walls up in front of my infiltrated blitzers, strangely chooses to blitz on the LOS with his Mino, and marks up my Runner with one CW. After a couple blocks, I place my Runner on the sideline behind 3 players. He squeezes me there pretty well, putting two TZ on my Runner and in danger of being surfed. After I rolled on double 1 on a Jump-up block, I completly loose it for a moment, moving Renly instead of Selmy to the EZ (he makes the 4 dodges including 2*3+) and attempting the pass while still in one TZ. I roll 1 then 2, and the ball scatters of the pitch.

The crowd sends it back in his half on the opposite side, not far from the LOS. He then fails to surf my Runner by rolling :bothdown::bothdown:, marks up my players as best he can and picks up with his X-Arm beast. I move up an assist and Brienne sacks him, giving him a BH, then a rookie Lino picks-up and passes to Renly still in the EZ. A RR is burnt on the pass but it works and it is 3-0.

3-0 Lords.

It's T12, and he decides to abandon the game. Very sportingly, he tells me he can't win anymore and he'd rather not maim any more of my players for nothing or risking a 4-0 loss. After congratulating me, he leaves the game, offering me the victory and the champion title!

The Lords end up champions of the division (32 players) and I am very pleased with my season. Thanks a lot to all of you who gave me wise advice along this thread.

I should play in division 2 next season, I hear it's quite bashy but after playing 4 Orcs, 2 Chaos and 1 MV for this one I hope I'm ready :) I'll come back in a few weeks to tell you more about all that!

17. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Nice win, but I hate when Coaches give up on matches, even when they do it nicely.

18. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Fully agreed. But it annoyed me more in the semi-finals, when my opponent stopped playing the ball and tried to maim my players although he still had a decent chance to come back in the game. Granted, giving up in the finals is also disappointing... :(

19. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Did this Chaos coach actually maim any of your players while you played, or was it just hot air?

But yea, sounds like Francobowl generally makes people disinterested in finishing?

20. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Naah, they were just disheartened by my awesomeness. :D

In all seriousness, I don't really know what to think. I wanted to be champion, but my semi-finals opponent seemed more interested in moving up division than risk a bloody final (which is stupid in the sense that he will face more bashy teams there). So he gave up when things went my way.

The Chaos coach, well, he did inflict a second niggle on a lvl 4 lino T1 and killed a rookie Lino T5, but I still had my Apoth when he abandoned. Bad enough to lose the finals 3-nil, even more so when it was in 12 turns. He couldn't win at this stage, but his players were not in danger and he chose to give me 60K gold and 5 SPP for free. Can't really know if he gave up in good faith or if he was just gutted, although to be fair he never complained in-chat and he could have passed his nerves on my players if nothing else.

What can I say? I wanted the title and I played to this effect. I don't want to feel cheated because some of my opponents did not.

I'll play one more season there because I want to carry on with the Lords, then I'll likely join the OCC/SCC.