1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elves - Lords of Westeros

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Barristan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea, winning the title should at least feel like it was hard-fought. Fie on them to try to steal your glory with their cowardly antics.

And welcome to OCC when you come by. Fouling capital of the (BB-)world. :p

2. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    The new season is on the way and after 3 weeks of holidays in the Khaine Resort Blood House (all inclusive) the Lords of Westeros are ready to tackle Tier 2!

I landed in the 3rd group with a really nice selection of teams (gotta love the diversity after the truckload of greenskins dumped on me last season). Here are the teams I will face in the correct order with a rough TV estimate (coaches have to buy useless stuff to start the season with 120K in the treasury):

Undead - Castlevania Dreamers - 1600 TV
    Nurgle - Verte Clairiere - 1900 TV
    Dwarf - Les Nains Geants - 1300 TV
    Chaos - Les Theoriques du Chaos - 2000 TV (my opponent in the last finals)
    Necro - The Necronomicon!! - 1800 TV
    Skaven - Les Bas-Fonds - 1100 TV, only 9 players!
    Orc - Gork and Rollaz - 2000 TV
    Norse - Winter is Coming! - 1700 TV (tuning the 'Rains of Castamere' for this one :))
    Necro - Chantelames - 1500 TV

My current roster is as follow:

Ser Barristan Selmy - Blitzer : Tackle, Dodge, +1 AG - 37 SPP
    Renly Baratheon - Blitzer : Dodge, Guard, SS - 34 SPP
    Ser Loras Tyrell - Blitzer : Dodge, Tackle, Side Step - 43 SPP
    Jaime Lannister, Kingslayer - Blitzer : Dodge, Strip Ball, Side Step - 40 SPP
    Oberyn Martell - Runner : Strong Arm, Pass - 30 SPP
    Asha Greyjoy - Witch : +1 AG, Wrestle, Leap - 31 SPP
    Brienne of Tarth - Witch : Block, Side Step, Dauntless - 46 SPP
    Robb Stark - Lineman : Wrestle, Dodge, Fend - 34 SPP - niggle * 2, MNG
    Sandor Clegane - Lineman : Wrestle, Dodge, Side Step - 34 SPP
    Jorah Mormont - Lineman : Wrestle, Dodge - 27 SPP
    Rhaegar Targaryen - Lineman : Kick, Dodge - 19 SPP - niggle
    Beric Dondarrion Once Reborn - Lineman - 1 SPP
    Brynden Tully, The Blackfish - Lineman - 0 SPP
    Gerold Dayne, The Darkstar - Lineman - 2 SPP

4 RR, 12 FF, Apoth, TV 2100.

The first game should be played tomorrow evening and will be the first opportunity I get to try the Leap skill. Here's hoping it won't prove fatal to Asha... :rolleyes:

My opponent fields 3 Blodge Ghouls, the 4th one also has +2 MA, a Block Mummy, the second one with Guard, a MB/Tackle Wight and the other one with MB/+AG. One Zombie has Block/Tackle, no DP.

Although his team is clearly less experienced than mine, I expect a tough game as he will have a lot of inducements and the coach has been playing there since the very first season (this being season 9) with a win ratio of 60%.

3. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Well for me it looks like the time has come to sack that many-times injured lineman. That'll reduce the inducements you have to face, and it looks like it's about time too. Once one of your other lineman hits first skill I'd take Kick and boot your niggled kicker too. The drop in TV should make you more competitive hopefully.

4. Deathbagel

Deathbagel Member

Country Flag:
    Yep, time to replace Robb with Bran! Though, not sure if it's bad luck to name your lineman who's replacing a crippled player after another cripple... :p

5. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    The winning streak of the Lords stopped at 6 in the worst manner. A painful start to the season.

I'm giving away 390K in inducements and my opponent Silsei hires Luthor.

I win the toss and choose to kick with the assymetrical setup. I even get a perfect defense allowing me to pressure the ghouls on the flanks. Gerold Darkstar (rookie lino) is Ko'ed on the first block, but 7 dice on Clegane fail to put him down and Luthor cannot hypnotise. A Ghoul makes the pick-up and stays in the backfield. I start infiltrating players, but Loras promptly rolls a double 1 to Dodge and Badly Hurts himself in the subsequent fall. On his T2 Beric is BH by a Mummy, I'm down to 8 players after 5 minutes. He moves his Ghoul in a half cage mid-field, allowing me to place Brienne next to the carrier for a 2D blitz with my Strip Baller. That is if he makes the 3+ dodge of course. 1 RR 2. I can already feel Nuffle is ready for a great time. :mad:

Brienne manages to SS around the ball carrier twice but is finally hypnoed by Luthor. The Ghoul makes for the EZ, my remaining players solidly tied up. Asha makes her first Leap for a 1D blitz though, getting :pushback: followed by :bothdown: and the carrier is wrestled down. Sandor makes the Dodge + GFI to cover the ball, but Jaime rolls yet another double 1 and is stunned this time. Taking advantage of the situation, he fouls Asha for a KO and pushes Sandor on the ball, but the doughty Lino catches the bounce! Clinging to this spark of hope, I blitz with Brienne to free a receiver, only to get :skull::bothdown: Declining to RR, I dodge Sandor away for the pass to my AG5 Blitzer, but the marking Wight rolls a 6 and snatches the incoming ball :( I was nearly guaranteed a TD without the interception. Merde. T5 he blitzes Brienne away and hypnoes Renly, the Wight moves to 3 squares from the EZ.

Serioulsy despairing, I move Brienne with 2 GFI to mark the carrier and attempt the double 3+ dodge with Sandor for a 1D blitz. It is a :powdodge:, the heroic Lino picks-up the ball and hides on the sideline behind Brienne. Said Witch succombs once more to the irresistible gaze of the Star Vampire, and Sandor is taken down on the blitz. The ball lands offside, but is thrown on the other side of the pitch, 6 squares from my EZ. A Ghoul picks it up promptly but fails a pass to a protected teammate and the scatter ends up off bounds again! The crowd throws it back on the same spot as the first time. Renly needs a RR to make the pick-up and fails his ensuing pass to Barristan Selmy, the scattered launch landing next to my Blitzer, on the LOS. The latter is marked by a Mummy and next to them is Jorah and a Ghoul. The Mummy knocks down Barristan and a Ghoul makes the PU but cannot run away, while my oppo is turned over for time limit exceeded before he can protect the carrier. Never fear, Selmy even with the help of my last RR cannot roll a down result (4 dice with Tackle), and then I make the fatal mistake of bringing Jorah in front of the Ghoul. This allows a chain push that frees the Ghoul, and she makes the hand-off for a TD T8. I'm gutted.

Asha comes back but Gerold remains KO. My blocks stun a Mummy, and I stupidly gangfoul the other one with Sandor for a KO. He is ejected at once, and his victim comes back for the second half while Gerold still doesn't.

Half-time 0-1.

I line-up with 9 vs 11, a pitch invasion makes it easy for me when half his team is stunned for a single player on my side. I score in two turns with Oberyn passing to Jaime, but in the meantime disaster strikes, Asha is blitzed for a damaged back. My apoth sniggers in my face and tells me coldly that he can bandage her back or let her die. My choice. Oh and he'd like a pay raise if it's not asking too much? Double merde. I feel like my first Leaper will have a short carrier.

1-1

I line-up with 8 vs 11 as Gerold is enjoying his nap on the side. I get another perfect defense and botch it up badly. After nearly a month away from the team, I convince myself Selmy has SS and put him on the sideline. He is de facto surfed easily for a KO while Renly is BH on the LOS. 6 players remaining, I try to convince myself it is still feasible but Jaime promptly rolls double 1 on a GFI to persuade me otherwise. Miracle! He fails his hand-off! The ball is marked by two Ghouls, but my guys are pros aren't they? Jaime blitzes to free Brienne as receiver, and Jorah jumps on his feet to attempt the pick-up. It is good with a RR, GFI to dodge away.......... failed, oh but look, he pinched his nerve. Poor bastard. :rolleyes:

Next turn his killer Wight gives a smashed ankle to Jaime, I feel like eating my keyboard. I have 4 players left while so far I have managed 1 KO with a foul and two stuns. My Runner is Ko'ed T13 for good measure. Against my better judgment I attempt a last chance - 2D blitz T15 with Brienne, she makes the 4 dodges and gets :bothdown::pushback:. The next turn she is surfed after being surrounded and mercifully only stunned. He scores T16 ftw.

Final score 1-2, 0-6 in casualties (with 2 self-inflicted).

That was truly painful for the first game of the season. My opponent played well and I made a few mistakes, but beside the KO events all the rolls were against me. Dice stats:

D6 me -4.79 him 12.26
    2D6 me -8.25 him 4.63

The game leaves me with - beside a bitter taste in the mouth that is - yet another niggle on my Leaping Witch and a -1 MA on my Strip Baller. Add to it a MNG and I feel my next game against a nasty Nurgle team is going to end poorly (his killer Pestigor just got his 6th level).

I really don't know if I should fire Robb or let him die on the pitch as I feel I'm going to need all the skills I can get to make up for the missing players next game. I probably need to hire another Lino as well but I'll see the respective TVs first. As for my kicker I don't plan on replacing him anytime soon, my Linemen are dying fast enough as it is.

6. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Note for self : do not write a report just after a game that got you pissed off, it reads very whiny :D

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Nah, it was ok. Bloody game, though. :p

8. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Always sad to have two core players permanently injured on top of a Nuffling.

Anyway, my Runner rolled normal, I lean towards Dodge, but Accurate and NOS have their merits. Any advice?

As it stands, I should have 180K in inducements for the next game. So I see 3 options:

1 - Wizard
    2 - Hire a 12th fit player and take an extra Apoth
    3 - Apoth and Babe

Leaning towards option 2. I feel like I need at least one replacement, especially with 2 niggled players. My opponent has one killer NW (no Tackle though) and one Pestigor with Block/MB/Tackle/Dodge/Fend. His carrier has Block/Xarm/SH/Dodge. Beside that, his Beast has Guard/SF/Grab. Nothing else of note except maybe a Blodge/Frenzy Pestigor.

I reckon I still have enough good players to make it shall Nuffle give me a break, the only problem is I have never played Nurgle with Elves. And my tendency to break free with a passing play could cost me a lot there. Any hindsight welcome, we are not all as gifted as Danton :p

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    On a runner with strong arm and pass, you get accurate next, because he's a "long range" passer.

The runner that gets dodge and NOS is a "short range" passer, gets wrestle and catch as well.

10. Deathbagel

Deathbagel Member

Country Flag:
    How often do you get hit and use Dump Off? If it happens often, I'd look at NoS. If you rarely use Dump Off but like to make longer passes (which you probably do since you have Strong Arm) then I'd look really hard at Accurate. If you find that you mostly use him to handoff or make short passes, then Dodge would be a good fit or even block.

11. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Lost to the Nurgle team 0-1. It was a depressing game and I won't make a full account.

I hired a 15th Lino to have 12 fit players and took an extra Apoth.

I played a solid first half, stealing the ball on defense turn 7 but failing to score T8 on the second GFI. I suffered only one injury and could line up a full squad.

The second half turned out badly however, I suffered 4 injuries and 2 KO while messing up my offense, partly because I chose to setup for a long pass and partly because his Beast was a nightmare all game long. He never failed a Stupidity roll (13/13), managed to RR a triple :bothdown: and I rolled 2/15 to escape the tentacles (one of which was a failed dodge). In short, I got butchered and he scored the winner T16.

I inflicted one stun and one KO and got a nice 0 SPP out of the game (MVP went to a lvl 4 Lino). My 2 Apoths spared me one MNG on Selmy and the death of my kicker, but Loras will be MNG as well (not so bad since I'm playing Dwarves and he's my dedicated tackler).

Seems like I spent all my luck (let's not talk about skill :)) to be champion last season and Nuffle takes his due now.

Luck D6
    Me -4.81 Him 13.85

Luck 2D6
    Me -9.28 Him 9.55

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  12. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    MD3 vs Dwarven Giants coached by Arnoldinho. 13 players including a single Slayer + a DR, nothing of note except a +ST on a Blocker.

With 510K inducements, I expected something along the lines of 3 bribes + Wizard + Babe, but he went for Morg + babe instead (first time I actually played the legend).

We had a bit of trouble connecting for the game, and my opponent sportingly agreed to restart the game when my setup phase was cut in half and I was left with Asha on the LOS.

I elected to kick and setup 'Danton style'. :) The following riot lost us a turn.

The deathroller started by BH a rookie Lino while his carrier picked-up and entered the relative safety of a 3 men cage in his mid-half. Freshly back from the infirmary, Asha leapt above the screen and downed the carrier, assisted by Renly who had to make two GFI to get in position. Asha had no movement left to pick-up but Brienne managed her GFI's to mark the ball.

His second turn proved to be costly, as he stunned Asha, BH Renly with Morg and fractured the skull of another rookie lino (no Apoth). He also managed to dodge with his Runner and pick-up the ball under Brienne's nose. She did not like it one bit though and downed him again the following turn assisted by Selmy, only to roll a double 1 on the pick-up. The ball landed on the sideline, screened by the two above mentionned players. Morg charged and stunned Brienne, who side-stepped on the ball, and Selmy caught the rebound! Tired of this brawl, the blitzer dodged 3 times around Morg (2+ with AG5) and scored the opener T4.

Lords 1-0 , already 3 injuries.

The kick-off yielded a RR for the Dwarves, but his carrier rolled a double 1 on his GFI (not sure why he did it as he was out of reach) and ate the turf. Jaime surged forwards to mark him, while Asha and Selmy teamed up against the lone slayer nearby but the Witch rolled :bothdown::bothdown: and I chose not to RR. T6 he failed his blitz on Jaime by rolling :pushback::pushback: RR :bothdown::bothdown:, but his Runner dodged away, picked-up and made the long pass! Unfortunately the receiving runner dropped it. Asha jumped-up, covered the distance, made the pick-up + GFI to escape the TZ, and the long pass to Jaime with a RR. The injured blitzer still managed to outrun the defenders to score T7 while Selmy was KO'ed.

Lords 2-0.

I placed my players in the backfield to avoid further injuries, and the disgruntled crowd rioted again, this time giving us another turn. Beric died a second time T7 :D and he failed his passing attempt to a forward runner. I could not score due to my positioning but got the ball back and tried getting 2 SPP from passing. I got only one in the end, while his foul T8 gave a stun.

Half-time 2-0.

I lined-up with 9 vs 11 and charged down the right side. Brienne killed a blocker she was trying to surf (apoth to niggle), but Asha rolled a 1+1 on her GFI and BH herself :rolleyes: Luckily for me he made the same roll while attempting to mark my Runner and got BH as well! Oberyn handed off to Jaime who passed to Brienne who scored the third and gained the star status in the process!

Lords 3-0.

8 vs 11.

I promptly managed to stick Selmy back from his nap to the carrier, and his blitz failed even with a RR, but he managed the dodge and the pass to his forward runner, who ran one square from the EZ while my kicker was KO'ed. My own Runner 1D blitzed him and pushed him on the sideline, allowing Jaime to GFI for a second TZ. He was just a 4+ dodge away from the TD, but tried to bring support for a blitz a failed another GFI in the process. I elected to surf the runner rather than risking to push him in the EZ if Jaime failed his block and the ball landed on the other side next to my EZ. Cue a brawl where I got the upper hand thanks to his bad rolls (Jorah BHing a Runner). Brienne failed her pass to free the ball, but I got a last opportunity T16, when Oberyn dodged away, picked up and made the long bomb to Selmy who was still in scoring range. Unfortunately he was double marked and rolled a 2 for the catch. He would have needed three more 2+ to score however so no regrets there. His first block T16 yielded :skull::skull: and the ref signaled the end of the game.

Final score 3-0.

He was pretty unlucky with his blocks and GFI's but I think his choice of inducements was poor. Morg did not accomplish much, he should have tried to run the ball with him or picked Ironjaw instead, I think he would have been more of a threat to me. As it is two more Linos won't see another game with the Lords but none of my experienced players got injured and I am happy to get my first win this season.

Now, decision time. Brienne, despite being late to the party, is the first star of the team. She currently has Block/SS/Dauntless and rolled normal yet again. Should I go for Tackle or Fend? Or something else I do not see?

I also need to buy another player to have 13 fit for my next game against Chaos. This is a grudge game after the division finals where I crushed him 3-0 in 12 turns and I expect him to be much more careful. I am very tempted to hire a new Assassin but I guess a Lino would be the sensible choice (I only have 100K banked as well... bloody winning bug cut me 30K again).

13. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Interesting one. Never had a dauntless witch and given that skill choice I think Fend may be the better choice here unless you have a dire shortage of tackle players. A lot of times I find you'll use dauntless on opponents who don't have dodge, and if you're trying to surf a higher strength opponent who does have dodge, tackle could save him. I feel like fend has a little more synergy with dauntless here.

14. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    What's that you say? You want something that helps her in all of her roles, doesn't require her to be hit to be useful, and even passively forces opponents to adjust their plans - especially against the threat of the maximum-range Frenzy surf?

Why, it can only be the third-greatest skill in the Agility pool: Sure Feet:powdodge:

15. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    I currently have two tacklers, and my Blodge/SS/Strip Ball Blitzer is 5 SPP away from his next skill, which will be Tackle barring doubles. One more could not hurt as I will have to face two Necros and a Skaven.

That being said, if I understand it correctly, Fend will prevent Frenzy/Piling on from working only if you SS away from the attacker? Meaning it reduces the available squares to 3 maximum? Not so fan of that, although I like your thinking regarding the surf ability, as yesterday I tried two surfs with her and rolled :pow::pow: on the first and :pow::powdodge: on the second! Luckily the second one gave a cas.

Sure Feet is quite a good idea, I don't take it often (meaning never) but I tend to GFI a lot and having a Frenzy piece that can reliably cover 9 squares seems appealing. Especially with AG4 and Dodge to get there.

Hmm. Tough decision. I'm sure she will remain awesome whatever the choice, but any more voters out there? ;)

16. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yep, Sure Feet or Fend sound good. Fend and SS has definitely helped to keep Hecate alive for over 10 seasons in the top tiers of the OCC! ;)

Are you sure that the winnings bug affected you? I have not seen any evidence of it, since it got fixed in the last server patch.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    You are aware that the Spiralling Expenses penalty for having a Team Value in the 2050 to 2190 range is 30k?

Meaning that is how much money you loose after every game, no matter how much (or little) money you win.

18. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I forgot about the spiraling expenses... Doh. Pretty lucky to get 40K out of that one then. And glad it has been fixed.

Still hesitating between Fend and Sure Feet. I never played against a player with the SS/Fend combo, so don't really know how annoying that is, but I guess Danton vouching for it should suffice me :)

19. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    She'll probably get killed next match now! :D

20. nufflehatesme

nufflehatesme Member

Country Flag:
    with dauntless i like pro on witch's. allows rerolls on jump up, dauntless,and the first 2d block if the second is a 1d.

also helps when you use a reroll trying to make the blitz with the witch (on a dodge, gfi etc)

oh and rerolling pows for push's when trying to surf