1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elf DE Blitzer development

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Raveen, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Raveen

Raveen Member

Country Flag:
    In the Cyanide game I'm currently playing as DE. My 4 blitzers are developing nicely with a couple of guard and a fair bit of dodge. However the undisputed star of the team is my +2MA, Dodge blitzer.

Given his speed he's frequently a TD scorer although I'm making sure to mix things up once I've got a lead so he doesn't hog all the SPP but either way, he's going to keep raking in the points.

My plan was to give him catch next and play a long passing game up the wing (my runner so far has Leader and Pass, will be looking at Accurate and NoS next). Where would you guys go with this frankly steroid enhanced DE blitzer?

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Dark Elves are one of the best teams to stall with, they have the speed and agility to easily move a cage and the ball along with it. You can easily get into scoring range with lots of players being able to score. Spread the SPP out by doing a hand off or pass (assuming you still have a reroll) to someone who could do with getting some more. With AG4 2+ with a reroll is going to work 35 times out of 36.

I wouldn't look to turning any of the players into a dedicated scorer though. I think this guy is best used to threaten ball carriers sitting deep, or being a long range blitzing threat who can get from one side to the other easily. With that in mind Side Step is nice, though you may want to get Tackle or Strip Ball. Side Step can also help with scoring and certainly makes one turn scoring easier using push backs (and you have two natural players with Frenzy making it easier still).

3. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    With his movement you should take frenzy, dodge or leap.

4. Gio

Gio Member

Country Flag:
    I agree with Coach. Any of your DE is well prepared to score, and having this extraordinary player just waiting for a long pass (wich could be done by any other player) seems like a waste. His high movement allows him to get to key places quickly and hassle/blitz whoever looks like a threat. I would personally get him Tackle, in order to make him an all round blitzer from whom there is no escape. Most Catchers, as well as other key positionals, often have Dodge so taking that away from them may prove to be devastating for their strategy. If you have a Witch with Wrestle (super combo with Jump up), they will certainly be your best players to retrieve the ball from the opposition.

5. Raveen

Raveen Member

Country Flag:
    I've got one block Witch and one wrestle. Currently they work on breaking through the enemy line or busting open a cage.

Once the line is open it's usually this blitzer making a run toawrd the endzone, maybe I could move a lineelf to that job, but a blitzer on the LoS seems like a waste (although I can always dodge away I guess).

What I have found is that against some teams a kick to the side will allow this guy to get to the ball before the opposition get their hands on it, which against a medium AG team effectively keeps them from picking up without a blitz. I can see that tackle or sidestep would help in this role more than catch.

I do love the long passing game though, which is odd as I traditionally played humans and it can be very frustrating.

6. Metalsvinet

Metalsvinet New Member

If your so much into the long passing game, then you should consider switching to the wood elves..
    Long passing can be nice as an alternative strategy for the darkies, but agree with the others that catch is a waste of skill on such a nice player.

7. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I play deep passes with my Woodelves (see the "advice for a starting woodelf team" thread) and have only recently bought a catcher, using wardancers instead.

It is about your thrower for that as all your recievers are agi 4. Catch only really comes into its own on interceptions or catching in traffic with elves. Just do it early in your turn, scoring should be your priority over fighting and it means you still have your RR.

Work on your thrower for the long pass. Depending on your league take sidestep or tackle on your blitzer.

8. Raveen

Raveen Member

Country Flag:
    One of the things I've always liked about Humans and now Dark Elves is their flexibility. You can play a running or passing game against the bashy teams and you can bash the weaker teams.

So WE don't really appeal but I guess I'll give them a go at some point.

9. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    You're missing out on wardancers, the best player in the game.

10. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

I would play WE but I just can't stand the player models... :(

11. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I use 5th. ed. fantasy dryads instead of the bb woodelfteam.

12. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

Oh it wouldn't be a problem if I used actual models, however I play the computer version and they look terrible to me on there... I suppose I could look up some character skin mods.

13. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I would go with Tackle and Side-Step. You want to focus more on defensive skills in general for dark elves. Saying that, I am a fan of having Catch on one of the four blitzers. This is not so that I can build a deep receiver though, as I play a running game with them. The build I normally go for is Dodge, Catch, Pass Block, Side-Step and Diving Tackle.

The Catch skill is then used effectively both on offence and defence. On offence this player is part of the screen protecting your runner and is a good player for receiving a dump-off if necessary. He can also be the target of a crucial hand-off if you have run out of re-rolls towards the end of your turn. On defence he closes down passing lanes and reduces your opponent's offensive options in general.

14. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:

Danton of Appocablitz Now fame? Listen to this guy. He knows his stuff.

EDIT: Just read your intro post, I recognised the elf pic.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  15. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    :eek: They would be a famous team if I had won or drawn the last game of the season, cos then they would be in Div 1 next season! :(

I have had a lot of practice playing dark elves and enjoy the versatility of the race, but I think there is more than one way to play them effectively, so my take my advice with a pinch of salt!

This blitzer build works well for me, but I know many people don't even consider Catch as a skill for anyone on a dark elf team. Just yesterday a dark elf team of mine won the Premier division title in the New Ogham League and my Catch / Pass Block blitzer was the star of the final game. He failed an interception attempt due to a 1+1 roll, but caught two dump-offs and scored TDs after both of them.

I don't normally let my runner get hit if I can avoid it, but my opponent had a human blitzer with 5 Ag and strip ball who he kept dodging into my cages with, so having the extra security of a reliable dump-off receiver made it virtually impossible for him to get the ball off me on my drives. The same is often true against wood elf teams who are likely to leap their wardancers in to attack the ball carrier.

16. jawe

jawe Member

Country Flag:
    Hey,

I just started a new(my first) DE in the public league.

After the fourth match now two of my Blitzers lvlt-up. The first had a normal roll so I picked Dodge.

But the second got AG+1 as an option.

ST would be an autopick, correct?

But I am not 100% sure about AG. I wasn't actually planning on turning one into a catcher because I think having more "muscle" is slighter better and even a "naked" Blitzer has still AG4 and so will be able to catch balls at least with some success.

Like in the throwerthread I would love to hear some thoughts because I am still trying to figure out what is best.

And if you choose AG+ would you take the typical receiverskills or just continue with the types described in the article from the Coach.

thx a lot.

17. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

Take +Agi, no questions asked in my opinion. Even if he never touches the ball again (so utterly ignoring catching/passing here) +Agi is still awesomely useful for dodging past blockers, getting into cages, and being an utter pain to stop. Next level you can still pick up Dodge and then just imagine how hard it will be to stop him... *Shudders*

As for what to pick after, I'd just continue down the normal blitzer line. Agi 5 is plenty for the occasional pass/catch, you really don't need to add more skills, he'll be fine. Dodge, Sidestep, Tackle, Strip Ball/whatever still seems like winning picks to me.

18. simonslays

simonslays New Member

Country Flag:
    In the Cyanide game, I played a DE player who had all 4 Blitzers (and several linemen) with Dodge and Sidestep and found them incredibly frustrating to play against on both offence and defence. It was incredibly hard to take them down and by the end of the game I was almost loathe to tackle them as I was just inevitably moving them into better positions 70% of the time.

If you could combine this with a little bit of guard you have a team with great survivability, one that your opponent will often tackle right into the heart of his own cages and a very slippy eel-like cage of your own that will often slide downfield despite your opponents best efforts.

This team might be less effective vs dwarves or other opposition who bring a lot of tackle, however as a ag4 across the board team with superior movement and a couple of players with spare pass skills and you can adapt to a passing game on the fly to counter such teams (and who doesn't like a bit of variety?)

19. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I would take the AG increase. Like Murkglow said you can then dodge through tackle zones even easier.

It also means if you get Leap that you can leap on a 2+ which makes them really mobile. I hardly ever take "receiver" skills like Catch on any players, throwing the ball is something usually avoided. A hand off will usually suffice if you need to move the ball, especially for AG4 teams.

20. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Definitely take the Ag boost and then add: Dodge, Leap and Strip Ball for a nice ball-extraction player. Like Coach says being able to leap on a 2+ is gold for any player.