1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vampire Defensive setup advice for vampires

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by WildeEngineer, May 3, 2018.

1. WildeEngineer

WildeEngineer New Member

Steam Username:
    WildeEngineer
    Country Flag:
    I'm playing a relatively short league and I realized and need some advice for the defensive setup for vamps. I know they're good at cage breaking bit I haven't figured out how to setup to take advantage of this, in particular against bashy teams. This league season allows for a permanent star player and I have Wilhelm Chaney to help with blitzes and take downs. So anyone have any advice on a good setup?

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    In the middle of your defense (not on LoS), as you dont want to activate them unless really needed (Bloodlust). That's the principle I see in it.

3. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Ilgoth is basically right. Vamps are the best cage breakers in the game due to hypno but they're quite slow. Their biggest challenge is being in position to reach the cage an retrieve the ball. That means you keep them central. If the opponent has the ball near the back send thralls after them but keep the vamps together and close to the centre, they need to work as a pack to be effective (1-2 gazes, 1 or 2 man marking 1 blitzing 1 recovering).

4. WildeEngineer

WildeEngineer New Member

Steam Username:
    WildeEngineer
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, so do you think formation D1 from https://fumbbl.com/help:Defensive+Setups would be a decent setup for keeping the vamps central?

5. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    I have nothing to add here (never played Vamps) other than to say if you have Blood Bowl 2 on PC you could watch some games that @Regor , @Filadeus & @TravelScrabble play. They are all coaching Vamps in Big Crunch 2 and are all good coaches. If I have forgotten any Vamp coach my apologies!

6. Regor

Regor Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    If u have some free time u can watch this podcast talking about Vamps, with one of the best Vamps Coach in my opinion Bantha: http://orcacolacast.libsyn.com (Mon, 14 July 2014).
    I agree with @Ilgoth and @TravelScrabble , Vamps is all about position. In a defensive formation, normaly i use a similar C2) Strongly Asymmetric.

T=Thrall
    V= Vamp

- - - - - - T T T - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - T V V V V V T - - - -
    - - - - - - - T - - - - - - -

7. WildeEngineer

WildeEngineer New Member

Steam Username:
    WildeEngineer
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

8. WildeEngineer

WildeEngineer New Member

Steam Username:
    WildeEngineer
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, thats a big help. I'll try it out my next match and give that podcast a listen.

Regor likes this.
  9. WildeEngineer

WildeEngineer New Member

Steam Username:
    WildeEngineer
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again for your advice, I used the defensive setup this week and it threw off my opponent a bit and let me grab the ball when he failed his pickup. I was able to take the game 2-1 (vs chaos).

Regor likes this.
  10. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Member

The man that you love to hate, straight out of Was
    Country Flag:
    If I have kick I will place my line thralls on one side of the line,far left or right but still middle, and line up three vamps on the opposite side a space back and drop the ball in front of them. That ball is yours. Go get it.

TravelScrabble likes this.
  11. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I like that Kjelstad, nice to have some pro vamp advice back on the site.

12. WildeEngineer

WildeEngineer New Member

Steam Username:
    WildeEngineer
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the tip, I just got kick on a thrall so I'll try this out. Do you only place 3 thralls directly on the line still?