1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depressing Nufflings

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Gallows Bait, May 31, 2011.

1. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    It's not restricted by skills, only teams.

So basically its Humans, Amazons, Vampires, all Elves, Goblins, Skaven and Ogres, if I recall correctly.

Which means that the concept "No Bash" is proving remarkably inaccurate, as with so many low AV teams its even more brutal than it otherwise would be.

Especially as plenty of people have taken to building some lethal Amazon and Human killer teams - with good Strength skill access and fast blitzers they really can clean up. In fact its a league that makes Humans pretty awesome.

Human or Amazon Blitzer with Tackle, Mighty Blow and Piling On are pretty much king/queen of the heap. :D

2. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, Halflings are considered a Bash team :p

3. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Doh, forgot them. Easy to do, they're so small you barely notice them.

4. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Sort of not a depressing nuffling, since I managed a hero play to make a 2-1 win.

But...

I took out a fresh Skaven team in FOL as part of my 50 game challenge. Matched up with rookie Nurgle team.

Game started okay, but in my eagerness a fumbled pass left a Gutter Runner able to be surfed and the crowd obliged by killing him. So I think this is bad for my team's first game, but being Skaven I bought an apothecary in the starting TV. so I save the Gutter - phew 80k vital positional survives.

Then it all goes wrong.

Shortly after a failed dodge sees one dead Stormvermin - a 90k positional lost.

Then a pestigor blitz sees his partner dead too - 180k worth of new positionals lost.

Ended the game with 4 on the pitch and 3 more BH, two of those due to the crowd and thrown rocks.

So I win, just.

Winnings rolled - 30k. Rubbish, so I re-roll and get 20k. Doh!

So right now my TV is 830 and even with journeymen will be 930k in their second match, with no AV8 Block players to do the hard work.

This team is so screwed. :(

5. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Was wondering why it was taking so long for GB to show up here ! hehe

The team was screwed when you chose race: "Skaven" :D

Another Barmutioned team...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Bah. It's matchmaking. You'll get easier opponents for a couple of games.

In the meantime, keep skilling your runners (and linos?) while earning cash to replace your vermin.

(Or start over - but it feels silly to throw away a win ;))

7. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    They're part of my 50 game challenge in FOL, so yeah, I'll be keeping the team, but much like my 800 TV lizards (-2 Saurus -1 krox within 3 games) it will be a long hard road I think.

8. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Well you've just played a themed Skaven team with no Gutters, how about one with no Stormvermin? :p

9. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Well a strange twist of fate has just seen me win 3-1 against Dark Elves with those same Skaven, taking only 1 niggled 0spp linerat.

The opponent admitted to being new to Elves, but made a few key mistakes. In the first half on defence I was gifted a TD when he broke free to try and run in the TD with a Witch Elf, but

a) Failed the 2nd GFI
    b) Would have been 1 square short even with both GFI.

This gave me 2 turns to make an end-to-end Gutter trademark TD and gain a 1-0 lead going into my own offense.

Second half saw me pressured to score quickly, which I did quite well, still only down by the one linerat. Then on his next drive he left the ball carrying Witch Elf in the rear alone, rushed his line forward and then moved the Witch up, only to leave her close enough for me to dodge a Gutter clear to mark, then blitz down and in the scuffle that resulted I came out with the ball and a 3-0 lead.

Final few turns saw him make a consolation TD that I nearly stopped but for a loner blitz refusing to re-roll. I then had 2 turns to try and make it 4-1, but a riot made it only 1 turn so I went for a SPP throw.

Skilled 2 rookie Gutter - Block on one, +MV on the other.

10. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Nice GB... he probably never faced Skaven either... the first times are absolutely dizzying... hard to figure MA 9+2 GFI

11. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    You taught me that in cta lebe. ;)

12. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Glad you saw it as an educational instance of violence... ;)

13. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Nuffling of sorts... got this No Bash DElf team that seems to avoid lvl ups. This last game I managed a Draw... I got every player except 1 line and 1 loner with at least 1 spp. Incredible how spread out the SPP is.

1 TD gave the only Blitzer a lvl up. So I figured my chances of MVP giving me a 2nd desperate lvl up were great... and the MVP goes to the blitzer ! :rolleyes:

Well can't complain after that... he did roll +Agility... but I've never seen so much SPP without lvl ups. Beside the Blitzer 14 SPPs.

14. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    The very next game... the other guy gets nuffled... my Darkies score 3-0 and manage 5 lvl ups ! :cool: +1 agility on lineman too. 90k gold.

15. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    I've got 4 lvl ups from a game before I thought that was heaps...

16. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Loving my latest streak 8 losses out of the last 9 games.

Highlights of the last 2 weeks include:

New FOL lizard team losing 2 Saurus and 1 Krox in a single game (only their 3rd).
    New FOL skaven team losing both Stormvermin dead in their first game.
    New FOL dwarf team suffering 5 Dead and 3 Stat injuries in the last 7 games.
    My FOL amazons suffering 8 turnovers against Orcs including 3 turnovers due to double 1s on dodges with my AG4 thower, 3 turnovers due to failed gfi with re-rolls and 1 due to double skulls on a blitz.

In a week of games I've wiped out the increase in my win% I built up in a month and seen 4 teams destroyed to the point I've no idea how to progress with them.

I've also seen my OCC team take their 5th consecutive loss despite a 420 TV advantage due to the inability to roll 3+ with re-rolls 3 times in a single match (each is an 89% success chance).

My only strike of luck was my MM Dwarves matching Goblins, but the guy disconnected during the loading phase and despite waiting a 5 minute timer out, it recorded a 0-0 unplayed game.

My one win in the entire run was due to my Orcs matching up a rookie coach with lizards and even then the dice nearly ruined it with my Orcs unable to block their way out of a paper bag.

17. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Wow, that sounds really tough GB. If you want, I can make a Halfling team and give you a match in CTA or I can give you a match with my Gob team in CTA?

My loss in SSC with my Vamp team against a Human team last night seems to really pale in comparison. But it is the first time in ages that I have been comprehensively beaten. Sure my opponent got a bit lucky with the dice and my bloodlust did average 25%, but I didn’t have terrible dice.

The real kicker though was when my opponent was stalling next to the endzone when I had 4 players left on the field. I went away from the computer to brush my teeth and get ready for bed, as he was taking ages to fiddle around with his positioning even though I just had 1 Vamp left on the pitch. I came back to the comp only to see that he had decided to score on his turn 15 (leaving me 2 turns to score). Except that I had missed the setup AND he got a blitz result. So the score turned from 2-1 loss to 3-1 loss!

18. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Heh. Never leave the computer like that, Narly - that only kills your players due to not getting to use apo since it times out :p

19. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Sounds harsh GB. I've had a bad run recently with some generally poor dice not helping things. Then yesterday I had some time for an MM game and my skaven team in FOL got matched up against some Halflings, clearly coached by some masochist as he had 6 re-rolls and 15 or 16 players!

Long story short, by the end of it he had 11 players in the Casualty box (3 dead) and I had won it 4-1!! My MB+Tackle stormvermin had a field day smashing flings to bits! Nothing like playing against Flings without inducements to cheer you up! :)

20. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    2 more losses take me to 1-0-10.

Second game I quit in turn 6.

My Skaven had taken 15 armour breaks in 6 turns, losing 3 injured and 2 KO for only 6 left on the side. I'd been scored against and suffered turnovers in 5 of the 6 turns played. None of the items I turned over on were less than a 86% chance of success (ie nothing worse than a 2+ equivalent).

I really have had enough, apart from games necessary to complete league obligations, I will be taking a break.