1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Diving Catch:ing hand-offs?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Purgatory, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I got into a discussion with my LC regarding the skill Diving Catch the other day, and we came to the conclusion that RAW states that it does not combine with a hand-off (i.e. the DC player catching a hand-off will not recieve a +1 bonus to the roll).

However, I just wanted to check with you guys. Does a hand-off count as an accurate pass, or as not a pass at all (since no pass roll is made)?

2. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    A hand-off is not a pass, agreed.

Diving Catch should not therefore apply, though it's worth noting Cyanide got this wrong and it does work there, incorrectly.

Diving Catch is written to specify a pass. Where as skills such as Animosity, for example, specify pass or hand-off.

In addition, the hand off is made using its own chart, not the catching chart and applies separate modifiers.

3. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    True, but the modifiers are exactly the same, if you disregard the modifiers for inaccurate passes/kick-offs/bounces, since a hand-off by definition can not be inaccurate.

It's counter-intuitive, in my opinion, since it would mean that in practice the player is better at catching a ball that has traveled a longer distance than a shorter distance, which makes litle sense to me. Then again, it's GW. :)

4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Indeed, Cyanide makes better sense and makes the skill more useful.

But the bonus is "+1 extra for accurate pass" and the handoff bonus is not for "accurate pass" but for "handoff"

You do get extra risks when passing, so diving catch is perhaps supposed to ameliorate those.

5. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    It creates strange boardstates, though, say I have an AG4 player with DC (a Slann Catcher? :)) who is marked by a single player who has no skills. I can either do a hand-off without Catch, or I can make a Quick Pass with Diving Catch, and statistically, the safer choice is the latter:

Making two 2+ rolls: just under 70% chance.

Making a single 3+ roll: 66,666... chance.

6. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yep.

Although at least you have to consider the possibility of an interception for a pass.

And when making a handoff, your handing off player can also mark the marker..

7. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Diving Catch does not give a +1 bonus for catch rolls in a Hand Off action.

This was to encourage more passing plays. I don't think GW had much to do with this choice in all honesty.

It would make hand offs even better when they didn't need any improvement.

8. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    If he fails the catch... can he diving catch the ball next to him ?

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    No, because that is a bouncing ball..

10. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Forgot about the bouncing ball... true.

11. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I always wondered about why it didn't apply for bounces, but reading that finally dislodged the penny (bit of a complicated metaphor, I know. Here's another one: reading that finally moved a Goblin adjacent for my Really Stupid roll :rolleyes:)

12. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    I too think that the cyanide implementation is better. Making the bonus applicable handoffs improves it from a skill slightly better than thick skull to one that is marginally useful for certain teams.

13. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    It will improve the skill but it also then devalues passes compared to hand offs. It will also make the high agility hand off + passing play even better than it already is, which isn't needed.