1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving Catch possibilites

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Boffa, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    I was just thinking about this, and I don't know if anyone has tried it or not. If you were 1 space short of a quick pass and throwing to a diving catcher could you throw it one space short of him and still get the +1 for an 'accurate pass' using diving catch to catch it?

2. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    It's a neat idea, but one the rules have anticipated. The skill description reads "The player may add 1 to any catch roll from an accurate pass targeted to his square".

edit: or do you mean the generic +1 for catching any accurate pass, not the Diving Catch +1? That's an even neater idea, and I don't think there's anything in the rules that would invalidate it, either.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Whoa. Based on, well, nothing whatsoever, I'm imagining the rules aren't intended to be used like that. But if they are, that's really nifty.

4. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I believe you can do that and it was intended as Diving Catch isn't an often taken skill.

The skill description states they can attempt to catch the ball as if it had landed in their own square. So in the case of an accurate pass to an intended square next to them, you could get the +1 for attempting the catch.

I can't find anything in the rules to dispute this, though no guarantees I missed it. Happy to discuss any suggestions that might counter it though.

5. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    So in effect what you're saying is instead of:

A Short Pass

Accurate Pass +1
    Diving Catch Accurate Pass targeted to his square +1

You'd instead target 1 square less and try for

A Quick Pass

Accurate Pass +1
    Diving catch (no modifier).

However the Quick Pass would have a +1 modifier for the thrower, whilst the Short Pass would not.

In effect, you can choose whether to make the pass easier for the thrower or catcher?

If on the other hand you would expect the +1 for the Diving Catch to also apply in the Quick pass, it would not as the wording is specific - the +1 applies if it is targeted at his square.

The diving catch part only treats it as through it landed in his square, not as if it was targeted at his square.

6. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    By the same logic, you could also aim for a square next to your target and possibly avoid an interception attempt.

7. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Yes, you would lose the extra +1 modifier, but if it prevents an interception, that could well be worthwhile.

In my experience any AG2 or AG1 player seeing a pass go overhead will always roll a 6 and successfully intercept it. :mad:

8. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    The biggest advantage would be for AG4 players, who would see the pass made easier and the catch made no harder. However, if Diving Catch is seen rarely enough on AG3 players, it's almost unheard of on Elves and the like.

Edit: Let's not forget Slann Catchers, here, either. In their case it's going to be worthwhile to pass to the empty square whenever it improves the modifier to the pass. Unless they're being marked..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  9. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, passing to the adjacent square also denies the passer any chance of earning SPP:s, so make sure it is for the win.

(Annoyingly Cyanide does not take into account that the passer should get the SPP as long as the pass was accurate and the intended receiver end up holding the ball - once the receiver has failed the catch once it seems the SPP opportunity is gone in Cyanide-land. :rolleyes:)