1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Diving Tackle clarification

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Purgatory, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I tried searching for an answer, but I can't really find one.

Say I have a Slann Blitzer with Diving Tackle next to a Wood Elf Catcher. The Catcher tries to dodge away from the Blitzer and rolls a 3. I choose to use Diving Tackle, as per the rules. The Catcher re-rolls the dodge roll with his Dodge skill.

Does he or does he not get the -2 modifier on the re-rolled result? I know the rules states that the Diving Tackle skill may be used against a re-rolled dodge, but it's not like I can place my model prone twice. :skull:

2. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    If I remember right then you place your player prone after the Dodging is finished. Doesn´t matter if he used Dodge or not. So your modifier works for both tries.

That also means you can combinate Diving Tackle with Prehensive Tail, which you can only use standing.

3. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Any modifiers that applied to the first attempt always apply to the second attempt. If they rolled a 1 on the first attempt and you don't use Diving Tackle, then you can still use it if they rolled a 2 on the reroll as well.

4. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    yup, what they said

if you use it on the first roll it also applies to any reroll (dodge or team or whatever doesn't matter), if you don't apply it to the first roll you still may apply it to a reroll if you wish. Once the dodge, including reroll, is resolved, then place your player prone if you used it on either/both of the rolls.

5. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Another thing about diving tackle and dodge players which puzzles me. It's come up on a few occasions in cyanide play.

1. The player dodges and I see his roll. I know the modifier will ground him.
    2. I choose to use diving tackle.
    3. The player gets his dodge re-roll and passes. He jumps away.
    4. My player is left prone.

Is that the way its meant to work? Or should I get the opportunity to choose again based on the re-rolled result. Does the -2 modifier apply to the re-rolled result?

6. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    The -2 should apply and no matter what, you will be prone after you selected to use DT:powdodge:

7. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Great, thanks for the replies, guys. Could anyone point me to a rules section that would back this up, though? I tried looking at the skill description, in the dodging text and under re-rolls, but I still can't find a clear ruling on this.

Thanks in advance!:pow:

8. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    It´s the last part about Diving Tackle:
    "Once the dodge is resolved but before any armour roll for
    the opponent (if needed), the Diving Tackle Player is Placed Prone in the
    square vacated by the dodging player but do not make an Armour or
    Injury roll for the Diving Tackle player."

Just make sure you use the newest Ruleversion. It´s LRB5rev.
    I think you are using the LRB5 version. It was clearified between these two versions.

Also the Dodge skill let you Re-Roll the test and not try a second time. So because it is a Re-Roll nothing changes and it is still the same test.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  9. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Diving Tackle does apply to the second roll and you go prone even if they roll a 6.

This post might also help clear things up:

http://bbtactics.com/forums/shadowing-diving-tackle-t534/page2/#post5900

10. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I sort of came to the same conclusion in the end, but I was too cross-eyed from flipping through the rulebook (the current one btw, so I can only blame myself :bothdown::skull:) to clearly read that passage.

Thanks for the help. :)

11. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Absolutely correct.

What I am not sure about is if that has been properly implemented in Cyanide´s version online.

For that to work properly I would have to been asked twice about using DT. The first one where the dodger gets a critical 1, hence I would answer "no" to use DT. And the dodge reroll where I should be asked again.

Never seen that happen yet because so far at Cyanide´s I have never had a dodger trying to get away from my DT with a critical 1 in the first roll.

12. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    @Viajero - in the situation you provide Cyanide will only ask once. If the roll comes up a natural 1 or 6 Cyanide does not ask if you want to use DT as it can have no bearing on the outcome but when rerolled it will ask, I have however seen a roll of 2 (needing 3+ so failed) declined the use of DT and then used it on the reroll, so yes, it is implemented.

13. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Cool. But I am pretty sure I have seen natural 6´s and being asked though.

14. Red Rat

Red Rat New Member

Country Flag:
    Thank you Guys for this Thread!

It's very clear!