1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Dodge/Tackle Question

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Rob Crowley, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Rob Crowley

Rob Crowley New Member

Steam Username:
    N/A
    Country Flag:
    Hi, people, wee question for you. Something in single player is bugging me.

When you take tackle, it says the player trying to move out of the tackle zone can't use dodge. Dodge gives a personal re-roll on failed rolls when trying to leave tackle zones.

But when this happens, the AI just uses a team re-roll, but is that actually right? If it is, what purpose is there to tackle if they just get to re-roll one way or another? Is it just that tackle cancels out the freebie and forces use of a team re-roll? Even if you play a lot of matches, those team re-rolls don't exactly add up to much.

Still, it does help against some Norse players and High Elves, though much less effective against Skaven

2. bovicerunstrains

bovicerunstrains Active Member

Steam Username:
    BoVice
    Cyanide Username:
    BoVice
    Country Flag:
    It forces them to use a team re-roll, just read the player as not having the dodge skill when adjacent to a tackle player

its also very useful in blocking them as it allows you tackle them instead of a push

Rob Crowley and Gallows Bait like this.
  3. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    You're really underestimating the value of team rerolls in this game. They're worth their weight in gold and can save a turn. Burning an opponent's rerolls gives him far fewer options in later turns when he really needs them. For AG4 teams, it makes dodging away an almost sure thing (from 1/6 chance to fail to 1/36 or 83% versus 97%) and for AG3 teams it makes it viable (66% chance of success versus 89%).

Not to mention that Tackle has another benefit: Dodge players get only pushed on a "Defender Stumbles" block result. With tackle, he gets flattened like a POW.

Rob Crowley likes this.
  4. Rob Crowley

Rob Crowley New Member

Steam Username:
    N/A
    Country Flag:
    You're right. I saw today what it can do, pertaining to team re-rolls. Once it clicked, I noticed the pattern change in my favour. And then a couple of my really good Beastmen died. That got me on the back foot for a minute, but managed to make do.

I've started taking it more for players after block. Prehensile tail on the Minotaur is a good shout, especially against stunty buggers.

5. comfort_eagle

comfort_eagle Active Member

Steam Username:
    comfort_eagle
    Country Flag:
    Do note, stunty buggers are sometimes parked near your big guy on purpose to tie it up and prevent it from making impact elsewhere on the pitch. I'll gladly write off 40k tv to waste 140k of yours for a few critical turns.

Rob Crowley likes this.
  6. Rob Crowley

Rob Crowley New Member

Steam Username:
    N/A
    Country Flag:
    That explains a few things. Risky against Ogres, though, given that it's easier for them to pass their idiot roll than the other big'uns. I've seen the term "sacrificial blocking", seems appropriate here.

7. comfort_eagle

comfort_eagle Active Member

Steam Username:
    comfort_eagle
    Country Flag:
    If you pass your nega trait roll, you'll have 3 dice to roll a pow (most big guys won't have tackle or block to take down a dodge stunty) which is a 50/50. It is still likely to be out of position.

You'll see coaches risk getting and using 'break tackle' to get their muscle to where it's needed on the pitch.

Rob Crowley likes this.