1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dwarf tournament teams

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by Mr Mwenda, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Mr Mwenda

Mr Mwenda New Member

Country Flag:
    Dear all,
    I'm getting back into Blood Bowl after about 15 years away and am entering a couple of resurrection tournaments. From what little Blood Bowl I have played I've learned that a) a couple of rules have changed ("Bad kick is gone?") and b) I was never particularly skillful. I'd appreciate a bit of advice around team selection for the tournaments. I'm sticking with what I know for now: the wonderfully bearded dwarves.

The first tournament is the simpler challenge: Eurobowl rules (1100K, 6 normal skills [max 1 per player], no inducements for my team).
    • My thinking largely revolves around skill selection: how many guard players to select and what other skills should be employed - wrestle to a runner? Piling on to a trollslayer? Any other good options that people recommend?
    • I'm also wondering about how many trollslayers are worth taking a long. I guess I'm inclined to take both because they are fun (with that thrilling M5 as well) but I wonder if they may end up as a weak spot.

The second tournament perhaps presents a more interesting puzzle: 1200k, 160k for skills (which can include 'doubles', max 1 per player) and a lot more inducements. Skill selection is further complicated by max 3 of any particular skill and before each match my opponent will remove one of the new skills (so no extra ones by game 6).
    • Regarding team selection, I'm toying with various combinations of players such as dropping the trollslayers to replace them with various combinations of Grim, Zara, Flint+bribe and deathroller+bribe (possibly even Morg, but I'm not sure the cash is there). I guess Zara is a favourite since she brings block, dodge and agility to the party.
    • As for skills, I'm guessing 3 x guard is a starting point, but then things get interesting - jump up, stand firm, side step or juggernaut on troll slayers? Wrestle on a runner? Strip ball for a blitzer? Block on the deathroller? I'm guessing many opponents will be trying to remove guard to weaken the longbeard line so ideally I'd like to present them with some tough choices.
    That's it I guess, I appreciate any feedback or thoughts from those who are or have played against decent dwarf coaches.

Cheers.

2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    For the 1st one you want guard on both blitzers and block on a runner.
    Then probably MB on a troll slayer and 2 more guard.

Then 2nd one is harder and dwarves are going to be less effective.
    The problem with bribe + flint or deathroller is that you are not going to have much of a bench. So they are likely to be gone by half time.
    Zara is probably the best star but she is pricey.
    As for skills you probably want 8 normal skills. Dodge isn't worth it as there is going to be a lot of tackle around.
    3 guard is a must. Block and either block or wrestle on the runners. MB and juggs on the TS's if you have them. Leaving 1 more for something else probably another MB.
    Losing the guard is going to cause you lots of problems so you probably need to find a way to fit a ST 4 star player in.

3. Mr Mwenda

Mr Mwenda New Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks. I'm a bit surprised by the mighty blow on a troll slayer. It's always handy but i wondered if yet more guard might make the team more resistant to high strength teams. I'll think on this.

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    You can't have too much guard so there is nothing wrong with taking that instead of MB.
    It depends whether you think having another guard is better than having a better chance of removing players from the pitch.
    It is also why the 2nd tourney is going to be really tough as dwarves without guard tend to struggle

5. Mr Mwenda

Mr Mwenda New Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I guess as ever some teams will prove more of a handful.

Minor rules query, can Grim use dauntless when he does his multiple blocking - i.e. increase his strength to the augmented value of his opponents? I know he can't frenzy.

6. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Unless the rules have changed in the latest version then yes the Dauntless roll is done after the +2 ST is added for multi block.

In CRP it clearly said that the ST of the players for dauntless is calculated before assists but after any other modifiers. So you add 2 ST to your opponent then do the dauntless roll to match your strength to his.

sbr32 likes this.
  7. Mr Mwenda

Mr Mwenda New Member

Country Flag:
    Great, thanks!