1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slann / Kislev Circus Early development discussion (and sort of Team Blog)

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Purgatory, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Just recently, my league decided to start a free-for-all league, basically a place where you can play around and play in an eternal pre-season environemnt, and get some skill rolls on your players before you promote the team and enter it into the regular league.

I've been meaning to try out Slann for quite some time, and the FFA league seemed like the prefect place. I immediately entered the following starting line-up for the league:

2 Blitzers 220

2 Catchers 160

7 Linefrogs 420

4 Re-rolls 200

A cool million.

Played the team's first game and it was quite hectic. I managed to win FAMEx2 against the rookie Nurgle squad I faced, and that was really helpful, since my team went through re-rolls like none other - I rolled no less than three (!) :skull::skull: within the first four turns. I managed a 1-1 draw in the end, and won 50k, which obviously meant that I now have an Apothecary in the squad as well. No skill-rolls, but one Catcher is on 4 and a Blitzer got the MVP, so hopefully I'll be able to throw a quick 3+ pass with him next game for a level.

The question is: what is my next purchase? I really love the Kroxigor, I'd like to add one as soon as possible to the squad, but I also want to add the last two Blitzers. Should I get the Krox before that? At what point do I buy a fifth re-roll (if ever)? Should I add more Catchers? AG4 is great, especially with Leap and VLL, but S2 is less awesome.

I plan to level my players in this manner, with the skills in the order that they will be picked:

Two of the Blitzers will be markers, with Block, Dodge, Side Step and Guard.

One of the Blitzers will be a killer, with Block, MB, PO and Dodge.

One of the Blitzers will be a ball-sacker, with Wrestle, Tackle, Dodge and Grab.

All of the Catchers will get Dodge first, and I might make one of them a ball-sacker too with Wrestle, Tackle and Dauntless. I'd like to have two of them with a skill-set akin to Dodge, Block, Pass Block, Side Step to annoy ball-carriers and threaten interception to cut off my opponent's options for passing. Who knows, maybe I'll actually manage an interception or two with them. :)

Most of the Linos will be Wracklers, one a Kicker, and maybe I'll even make a DP or two late in development, they are cheap, they have AV 8 and I will probably be able to keep a deep bench eventually. I'll be able to Wrestle annoying Blodge/Side Step Elves to the ground and then gang-foul them off the field. I'm sure coaches like nufflehatesme will agree with me on this plan :)

All of this said, the team is still rookie, and I am still a newbie when it comes to coaching Slann. I'd love some input on how to best buy the rest of my players, that is, in what order, and how to skill them up. I'm leaning towards getting the Krox next, since it'll add some much-needed muscle to the team. Barring some serious injuries or deaths that will need immediate replacements, that's probably the plan. I can live with some Journeyfrogs on the LOS until then.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Marker blitzer should have Block Dodge SS Tackle? ;)

Ballsacking catcher should be dodge wrestle strip ball for sure?

(Another one can be the dodge wrestle dauntless tackle one)

3. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, Tackle should probably be the fourth skill.

And I totally forgot about Strip Ball, I'm so used to everyone having Sure Hands on their squads, I'll probably take it on at least one of the Catchers in the end, depending on what the rest of the league looks like, and the regular league as well.

Thanks for your input!

4. nufflehatesme

nufflehatesme Member

Country Flag:
    pretty good general idea. i like the starting team too.
    1st purchase i would probably save for a krox, as he will limit further cas on the team. i wouldnt replace linos until you get him, though catchers is another story.

i wouldnt bother with a ball sacker blitzer either. linos with wrestle are awesome at it, and even better with strip ball. catchers with wrestle strip ball are better again, as they leap on 2+.

guard on blitzers a bit earlier in development may be useful. i would probably want one with blodge guard early. guard is the obvious choice on doubles for linos and catchers too.

a kicker is awesome on slann teams. kick short and pressure the ball from t1.
    a blodge sure hands catcher is a staple.

i have played a little bit with them, and found them a hard team to use. my main problem was resisting a leap and 1d blitz on the ball every turn without the skills to do it :p i found the krox helped alot in creating space for the frogs use.

and yes i like the fouling plan :D bit harder to do with slann though, as they are an expensive team that starts without any of the basic skills. once a bench is in place it should be much more effective.

gl! they are an interesting team to play once you get a few skills on them. with 1 or 2 skills every position is a better version of a human position at the same lvl. the challenge is getting them all 1 or 2 skills (and until then humans will own you:D)

5. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The team is rolling along, with a win and a loss under its belt, making the record a stable 1-1-1 right now.

The loss was an awful 0-3 one against a rookie Dark Elf squad (damn those broken Dark Elves!), and although I hate to blame the dice, his block dice and armour rolls were hot as hell. By the end, he had out-CAS:ed me by 1 to 7, making it rather impossible for me to keep up. He killed one of my Blitzers, but fortunately the Apoth stepped in to save him. He gathered a total of 28 SPP:s during the game, a complete blow-out.

The next game was a 1-0 win against an Orc squad. He rolled more reasonable with armour and injury and I could actually tell that I was running S3 AV8 Linefrogs and not f*cking Snotlings, who were apparently on the pitch against the Elves. I managed to turn the ball over and made a spectacular Leap-full escape from my half to his, and by the eighth turn of the first half, I had the ball secure in the hands of a catcher, but risked a blitz with a Blitzer to get some SPP:s against one of his Throwers, after all, I had Block and he did not - what was are the odds of me going down? One in onethousand twohundred and nintysix, and sure enough the block dice turned up :skull::skull:, re-roll :skull::skull:. He had difficulties in containing me during my drive, and I scored in my turn four or so, leaving him with some time to make the equalizer (how exciting!). I managed to stop his drive when his ball-carrying Blitzer made a break for it and still was within my grasp with a few GFI:s. CAS turned out 1-2, the one on my side was a crowd-surf, and he MNG'd two of my 0 SPP Linefrogs.

I got two skill-rolls over the corse of the games, and one of my Blitzers now have Block and a Catcher has +AG. It's the first ever +AG I have ever rolled in TT, despite playing this game for some two years now. I couldn't turn it down, even if the Catcher leaps on a 2+ without the AG increase. I guess it'll be useful for picking up the ball in TZs etc.

The games yielded good money, however, and I'm now a mere 30k short of getting a Krox. :D I have a re-match scheduled against the Dark Elf player for tomorrow afternoon, and I hope to re-pay him some of the pain.

6. nufflehatesme

nufflehatesme Member

Country Flag:
    nice results, even the 3-0 blowout you took no damage by the sounds of it.

the +ag catcher will be awesome if you can get a few skills on him. with dodge and sure hands, any ball you pop loose (slann's specialty) can be scooped up by this guy.

in the meantime i would use him as your thrower/runner on offense. short pass's on 2+ is always nice.

hope you give it back to the darkies this time round!
    gl with the team, i have a keen interest in how they play out. slann are probably the one team that has a chance of getting me off my humie addicition

7. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, the DE team left me with just a Linefrog MNG (aside from the Apoth'd dead that is), but that's allright. The Loner was brilliant all game, taking all kinds of beatings against the Orcs, and even passing a Leap to complete a completely safe screen by the end of my offensive drive.

He must've been really handsome as well (though I doubt it), because the crowd loved him enough to give him the MVP, which he of course left with :p

The +AG Catcher has a big target on his head now, so I'll try my best to get him to 16 as soon as possible and get him Dodge at least, for added protection and moving through TZs without using Leap.

8. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Another day, another couple of losses (sigh). The re-match against the DEs went better than the original match, but I still lost pretty hard, 0-2 this time. The CAS war was more equal this time, I think it ended up with 2-3 or something like that in the end.

I played against the Nurgle player again and he had enough Inducements by then to get a Wizard, who of course was awesome. The game progressed rather well for me, I had a Catcher MNG'd from the DEs, so only one on the fied (the +AG one), so I had troubles moving the ball forward. I tried to make a couple of quick passes to the Catcher, but my stupid AG3 Linefrogs couldn't pick up a ball and pass it despite taking several turns and a couple of re-rolls to do so. :mad:

I did have the Krox in the squad by the way, and he managed to cause a total of three CAS during the game! I CAS:ed all of the Nurgle Warrior bar one, my two Blitzers got a CAS each, and the Krox got one of them, along with two rotters. It all ended up with a +3 player advantage by the second half, even though I didn't manage to score a TD in the game. However, by the start of the second half, the injury dice were starting to weigh the other way, and by the end of the match I had three Frogs in the CAS box and four (!) in the KO box, including the Catcher and both of my Blitzers. Left on the field were my Krox and a few unskilled Linefrogs, who couldn't stop him from running in the winning touchdown after a couple of turns of stalling (some, that is me, would argue that stalling in a free-for-all league that is meant to promote fun and social play is bad sportsmanship, but whatever. It was a tactically sound thing to do).

However, a 2-SPP Linefrog got the MVP, and since the Krox had collected three scalps, they both got a skillroll each. The Krox got a normal one and I picked Break Tackle, and the Lino rolled +ST (!). I have no idea what to do with the Frog in question now, do I go with Block and Frenzy to crowd-surf unassisted, or do I go with Wrestle/Strip Ball/Tackle to get an awesome cage-breaker?

I also bought a new Catcher upping the total to three, but I had to fire a 0-SPP Linefrog due to a -ST injury. With the Krox, it brings my squad to 12 right now, and a TV of around 1250.

So were moving along, not winning games, but gathering SPP:s ever so slowly.

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like an OK way to go with a team that everyone says gathers speed once people start skilling.

Although I'm wondering why you didn't use your catcher as the passer instead? It's more and harder rolls to pass than to catch..

10. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The passing I did was to gather Comp SPP:s on 5-SPP Linefrogs :)

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Ah, ok, that almost makes sense then :p

12. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, who would've known that passing a chain of 3+, 3+, 2+ could be so impossible? I have yet to make a completion with one of the Linefrogs, despite trying on several occasions. :p

13. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Which brings me back to the option of passing a 2+, 2+, 3+ for a completion for your catcher, followed by running the linefrog into the endzone for a touchdown :p

14. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I've been trying to get Linefrogs into scoring range, but they are a lot easier to pin down than Catchers, who will just leap out on a 2+. :)

Now I have a third Catcher, everyone can just try and stop me.

15. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Another day, another game against the Darkies :) This time, we drew 2-2, a rather frustrating end result, since I was about to score 3-1 when he dodged into my side-cage and blitzed my ballcarrier, and got him down all without using a re-roll. Sure, a dodge into the back of a side-cage is 75% with Dodge, but still. I had a simple 2+ Leap, 2+ dodge, 2+ pick up and a 2+ GFI to score anyway in my turn, but I failed the Leap, had to burn the team re-roll and failed the pick-up :mad:

So in his turn he picks up the ball, and I have way too few Frogs on the field to threaten the ball-carrier, so I just mark him and mark the only reciever, an AG5 Blitzer, with a Blitzer of my own. He blitzed away the marker from his ballcarrier, made the 3+ pass, the 2+ catch and the 3+ dodge without a team re-roll or any skills to re-roll any of the results :mad: :mad:

Oh well, I got two skill-rolls, one of my Rookie Linefrogs got his second MVP after failing to get a completion twice in the game, so he's at 10 now, with Wrestle. My second Blitzer rolled 5+6, so I picked the +AG. Jeez, two of them on this team, and not a single one on my woodies. :S

The team is really moving on up in TV, it has 1430 now with only 12 players and very few skills, just one with Block, one with Wrestle and no dodge. I have no idea what happened, but I guess the two +AG adds a lot of bloat. :p

Currently 80k in the treasury, I think I'm gonna save it for a third Blitzer.