1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever do something you are really not proud about ...

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Avatar111x, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Avatar111x

Country Flag:
    I have a bit of a confession to make. Normally I am not a (insert nsfw word in here), but this weekend I was playing a match on FUMMBL against a guy I had no problem with and it had been a tight 1-1 affair.

Any case, it was turn 16 and going for a draw when I spotted a Pro Elf Blizter near the sidelines. For reasons utterly beyond me (probably something to do with the God awful week at work I had) I surrounded the poor bugger and crowd pushed him. (only a stun)

My opponent got really upset with me about it and since I was not in a great mood anyway, I got pretty indignant back (didn't swear or anything, but got a bit terse in response). I used the dreadful phrase 'it's part of the game' before saying I was sorry he didn't want to play me again and logged off.

I calmed down after about 15 minutes and realised what I had done was out of line and sent him an apology e-mail. But he clearly hasn't accepted it as he put comments on the match slamming me.

I am the worst person in the world, aren't I?

Anyone done anything of other questionable merit?

2. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    It happens, we all get frustrated sometimes, but I do think it is an acceptable part of the game.

You or other opponents in future would potentially benefit from the injury that might have resulted, improving your league and cup chances in whatever league you play within.

As such its a perfectly viable and valid move and one that should serve to remind your opponent that side step is not unbeatable, if nothing else and that again may change future game play.

I know it might feel bad, but I really don't think this is the worst thing ever by any means, chill and move on. :)

3. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    I don't really see anything wrong with that move. I often like to gangfoul in 16th turn. If someone gets butthurt about it, it's only his problem for the rest of his life I will consider him a wuss.

BB is not a game for sissies.

4. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I think that your opponent should probably be posting here apologizing for being a dick about something that's part of the game. One of the nice things about bb and one of the things that makes it unique is that you can take out your frustrations on a piece like that. If you have a problem with opponents surfing your players don't leave them next to the sidelines.

Not only that but you apologize which is more than most people would. Don't worry about it...

I've had opponents on chat being aggressive or running their turns down just to be pricks, that's out of order. Anything else is covered in that rulebook.

5. Avatar111x

Country Flag:
    It's nice to hear it isn't just me. Although I'm now worried about how ruthless you guys are with my first Crunch Cup coming up ... :D

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Personally I think last-turn fouls and surfs are pretty sad moves.

Sure, they are legal and all that, but I won't go around condoning them.

Still, you apologized (and it was a good lesson about the fallibilities of sidestep) so it is your opponent coming off poorly here. (At least if your apology was as sincere as your OP here, and not just a "whoops, didn't mean to do that" :D)

As for ruthlessness: 0-12 Linemen: [ 06 / 14 / 05 ] I suppose he's having fun, but... :p

7. Pug

Pug New Member

TBH I expect an opponent to put as much hurt down throughout all the game.....Justifiable in my opinion..

....It was an *HACK-SPIT* AG4 Elf...
    ..It was a Blitzer...
    ...doesn't say you can't....
    ....you had a bad day...

One point tho...did you drive it home first with a "SURF'S UP DUUUDE!"...before manhandling the elf off the pitch....if not bad form Sir!;)

8. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    If my opponant has fouled me during a game then I take good time to seek out and hurt any of his players Im able to. As Areosmith said it, Dont get mad:mad: - get even!:D

Now if anybody sets up to be surfed, then I will surf them almost no matter what. If I have a reroll then its 99 % of the time that I will surf you in turn 16. The only sad thing about that, is that my opponant played so horrible that I was able to surf them!

But as always this depends on the scoreline also:pow:

9. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Im in the same camp as Nikolai, although i would say it depends. Assuming it has no bearing whatsoever on the result of the match:
    1. If his position in the table is below you and he doesn't threaten your ranking, then i normally wouldnt. If he's above you, then go for it.
    2. If he fouled you a lot during the game, then i say go for it.
    3. If he is generally a bit of a dick, then i say go for it.

But its a legal part of the game, so you really can't complain too much when someone does it to you.

Haha, love it Pug! Will have to remember that one before surfing someone with one of my Wolves!

10. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    During the nineteen forties I gassed millions of ethnic minorities to help further the master race.

Then during the ninteen seventies I had hundereds of thousands of people put to death for having an education, wearing glasses or generally "looking clever"

I think that's about on a par with a simulated dice roll moving a graphical representation of a model of a fictonal character off the graphical representation of a model pitch in a unlikely attempt to gain a simulated injury during the last turn of a game in a way that is entirely within the rules and spirit of the game and would have been entirely acceptable on any other turn in the game.

11. Coach Dodgy

Coach Dodgy New Member

Country Flag:
    Hang on - what's the word that precedes "Bowl"?

Until the game is renamed "Foam Padding Bowl", I'm gonna be all hitting, all the time.

Just sayin'.

12. Avatar111x

Country Flag:
    I must just be a sensitive soul ... or have a guilty complex. I don't like being a g#t and so his 'kind words' after the match must have got to me. Maybe this is giving the rest of you Crunchers a look into my psyche.

Don't worry about crowd pushes by Avatar. He'll be wracked with guilt later ...

13. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    In a league that would be a valid move.

In a friendly it would be a little mean.

14. adamacer

adamacer New Member

Country Flag:
    In a friendly game it wouldnt really matter one way or the other?

15. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    :D

I don't think I could put it any better than that really!

I have no problem with an opponent going all out to murder one of my players on turn 16 regardless of the situation. I mean he has most likely spent the previous 15 turns going all out to murder most of my team, so why should he suddenly stop doing that on turn 16...?

Anything within the rules of the game is perfectly acceptable as far as I am concerned. I only draw the line at verbal abuse, or trying to gain an unfair advantage through some sort of technical exploitation. Everything else is fair game!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  16. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Based on my experience of Blood Bowl (limited at best), at some point someone is going to do it to you. So why not be the first to do it!?

If it is not in the rule book (or agreed before hand), its fair game. (I was a nice person two months ago):p

17. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Agreed on your points 2, 3 (and 4). More hesitant about 1, but that's more about me being poor at pre-planning things ;)

@danton - turn 16 fouls are technically abusing the rules, since there is no risk of penalty for them. I've had opponents that have not fouled at all throughout an entire game, only to suddenly pull a gang foul at turn 16.

Like Narly said above, it is a legal part of the game so all I can do is think it was being a poor sport. But I'll keep doing that, while playing Fantasy Football (a.k.a. Blood Bowl ;))

18. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Just because there is no risk involved doesn't mean it is a technical abuse of the rules! That is not a logical conclusion! There is nothing that makes turn 16 so special that two teams should suddenly become all friendly and good natured! Sure, no one wants their star player killed on a meaningless turn 16 foul, but shit happens, especially in this game!

From a fluff point of view it makes perfect sense for a team to go for a turn 16 foul. Here we have two teams of raving psychos on the pitch and suddenly because the end of the game is looming, they go all soft and sportsman-like.... :rolleyes: I have even played some coaches who are insulted if you don't gang foul them on turn 16! :)

I personally don't make a habit of it, but sometimes I'll do it and I will always expect my opponent to do it, regardless of whether he normally would or not. In a league situation it makes a lot of sense to be able to remove a good player from your opponent's team for future matches, so why not keep trying to do that all the way through until turn 16?

19. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    I totally agree with Danton's last comment and more in a league context. Why not cripple your opponent if you get a shoot at it? It will indirectly helps your team be better than his.

In a game with friends, I would maybe be a bit reluctant to do it but in any other context, go for the throat!

20. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I think it's the other way around, completely. In a friendly, it won't matter at all, and if it's turn 16, it might even be good for a laugh.

In a league, it's "mean" and also tactically flawed, I want my opponents to beat the everliving snot out of everyone else after I'm done with them, so ideally I should leave as many of his players good to go as possible. In the end it benefits me, since I won't run into the same team until the play-offs, and the more an opposing coach can deal with future opponents beforehand, the better.

I've never done a last-turn foul or crowd surf though I've seen it frowned upon at the club, even when beginners have done it.