1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elf Final Match preparations

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by makinde, Mar 28, 2019.

1. makinde

makinde Member

Country Flag:
    Because I find these discussions almost more interesting than playing the games.

Preparing for a final match against a high TV Dwarf team (Guard Deathroller, Mighty Blow Longbeard, +STR Longbeard, and a bunch (5) Guard Longbeards + a Strip Ball Runner, 2 plain troll slayers and a dodge blitzer + normal blitzer. 4RR). His team got a few injuries in his semi-final, but mine got pretty much amputated. It's:

4 Rerolls. Usually play with 3, but went for 4 due to knockout format (an extra RR is good to have for extra time play).
    Runner: +AG, Block, Niggle. He got a regular level up pending. Definitely my star player, though I expect the niggle means he won't last long. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to replace him.
    2 Witch Elfs: Both have block.
    Blitzer: Tackle, +AG.
    Blitzer: +MA, Dodge
    Blitzer: Dodge, Sidestep. Injured -1MA. Out of the match.
    Blitzer: Dodge. Injured -1AG. Out of the match.
    Lineman: Kick. Has a level up pending (11).
    Lineman: Block
    Lineman: Wrestle, -1MA.
    2 Linemen: Wrestle.

TV difference prior to level ups is 250 and I have 140K petty cash. I only have 10 players, though, so will get a journeyman if I don't make any changes.

Considering giving the Runner Sure Hands (to counter Strip Ball), since I don't see much else being all that useful against Dwarves. Leader perhaps, combined with cutting a RR, but that seems a bit risky, considering that he's already a huge target. Also considered simply ignoring the level, to keep TV down.

Strongly considering passing on the AG for the Kicker, and simply going with Block. I don't see +AG on this player being much use with the current team.

The loss of the two Blitzers is going to hurt. I'm thinking the conservative approach to this match would be to drop the -AG Blizter, and use 110K to buy a new Blitzer, allowing me to enter the next match with 3 blitzers and 11 players. With luck, I might even be able to afford a wizard by spending some petty cash.

An alternative that I'm thinking could be interesting would be to save the money, play with the journeyman, and then spend some petty cash to get Eldril. That would allow me to go into the match with 12 players (which is the reason I'd consider this - I expect casualties, of course) and hypnotic gaze to help offset the Guard phalanx a bit.

What do people think? Good plans? Bad plans?

2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If the SB runner gets anywhere near your runner you are doing something wrong.
    I'd just take dodge even with all those tackle players.
    And I would also buy a blitzer. That extra square of MA is great against a slow team.
    That would leave you with 130K in inducements so either a merc blitzer or spend 20K for a wizard.
    Guess which is best depends on which ruleset you are using.

3. makinde

makinde Member

Country Flag:
    True.

Can't afford the wizard if I take both level ups.

Taking a merc blitzer + buying one is an interesting option; hadn't considered that. Would allow me to pretty much field my basic squad (albeit with a loner). Definitely an interesting option.

The wizard tempts me because I - either way - think that this game has to be decided in regular time if I'm to win; I suspect I'd have a high chance of losing if it goes to overtime (due to attrition - though who gets the kickoff is of course also relevant). A good strike with a wizard could tip the game. On the other hand, I know that I'll need that extra player... decisions, decisions.

We're playing in BB2, btw.

4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I agree with TYS about dodge, I agree the wizard is the way to go, I would be trying to win it in the first half in fact. Can't ignore level ups in BB2, it won't let you play without taking it i think that is the same in tt rules but not sure?

5. makinde

makinde Member

Country Flag:
    Ah - can certainly play friendlies without taking levels, but not sure about competition. Never been something I've been tempted to do before. If I can't, then the wiz isn't an option - 110K + 40K for skills will leave me with 100K incentives and 30K petty cash.

6. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Blitzer is only 100K so you will get 110K inducements and have 40K petty cash.

7. makinde

makinde Member

Country Flag:
    Oh yeah - you're right. Hmm - well, that is definitely tempting. It'll be hard to crack open his cages with all that guard, so forcing him to spread out a bit (or risk getting FB'ed) could be the way to go. Though with my usual luck, I'll probably have 3 injuries in the first couple of turns, and curse myself for even considering this kind of chance.

8. makinde

makinde Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the feedback - went for blitzer + wizard.

Lost the toss and played offence. Was forced to score in T4 after 2 KOs and increasing pressure, but defended handily with 9vs11 suffering yet another KO. None of the KOs returned for the second half (so 5 rolls all failed, meh). 8vs11 was a tough ask. I used the wizard on a fireball when it looked like I might have an opportunity to steal the ball, but the rolls did not go in my favor, and although I got a block in on the carrier, I rolled b! which was negated by dodge on his runner (forgot to mention that above). After some skirmishing around the carrier, he ran the ball in on T16. My attempt at a 1TT was frustrated on the first 2D block, and I opted not to spend my last reroll on a long shot. After 2 KO rolls more, I was back up to 10 players for ET, but he won the toss and chose to receive, of course (we're playing 8 turns golden goal, so that's obviously a big advantage). I was able to sack his runner with a 2D block on T23 (though I had to use my RR on the dodge for the blitzer), but the ball scattered poorly and the player I needed to put a vital extra tackle zone on the ball failed his dodge. Which meant he was able to attempt a 3+ dodge, 3+ pickup and 2+ GFI to run the ball in on T24.

OK with the result - my opponent played well, and I did not feel that I made too many mistakes. In hindsight, I should probably have saved the wizard for extra time, but that's always easier to say after the game. No injuries, surprisingly (just a lot of KOs, but Elfs can deal with that better than most). Though not sure if that matters, as we may end up rebooting teams anyway and I might vote for that - 19 level ups without a single doubles roll is _really_ annoying. Don't feel this team has anything special going for it either, although it had a good run to the final (9-4-1, the one loss from another Dwarf team).

Supa likes this.
  9. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Sorry about the loss but sounds like a hard fought finals just like you want. Gl next season.