1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluff vs Gaming (firing a player solely because he rolls a lot of 1s)

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Dionysian, May 2, 2013.

1. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I'm curious how many of you would consider firing a player for reasons of fluff or whimsy rather than injury or tv management.

I have a crunch cup orc thrower called Uegoth. He has +MA and block. But he's the most cack-handed useless anti-clutch pos it's ever been my misfortune to coach. His ineptitude sees the Crunchers struggling for playoff contention - their position mirroring that of last seasons Jets and we all know that sticking with Sanchez did them no good.

The gamer part of me recoils at the thought of firing a healthy stat boosted player as I'd simply be replacing him with an inferior piece which would have exactly the same odds of rolling those 1s and fumbles.

But the fluff and fun aspects are part of what makes bloodbowl so appealing. If the game was played for pecuniary benefit I wouldn't even consider it, but it's not and I'm a big fan of whimsy. He was also generically named when the team was created as a CTA throwaway - replacing would allow me to name the new thrower according to theme.

Am I crazy to consider doing this or have some of you done the same in CC/OCC/equivalent ? Or have you fired a player simply because he failed a crucial move in a playoff game or final?

2. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    I am considering firing a player that has accrued 0 spp over the last 3 games as he has been warming the bench like a champ. I am also going to give away 460k inducements if I hold onto him, enough for me to face Morg a second week in a row. Either way I get my Fluff quota!

So yes, I think you can have a great time with fluff, and it doesn't always make you crazy. Just remember other people take the game "differently" serious. Having fun while playing games is my kind of serious.

Cheers

3. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    I've fired entire teams (1600 woodies come to mind) for the sake of whimsy....

but don't get overboard.

that said, i was convinced that my first skaven thrower was cursed. couldn't hit the broadside of a barn to save his life. he got a -MV injury and was retired to the front office... (you can read about this managment move in my blog should you fancy a bizarre read)

the two replacement throwers haven't skilled up in like 6 games. sometimes you replace 'crap' with 'crappier'. ;)

4. Darkson

Darkson Member

Cyanide Username:
    Darkson
    Country Flag:
    Never done it on the PC (can't be arsed to track it), but a mate and I tracked our respective BGs in a Pact team to see how many 1's they rolled in tournaments and our league. When his Ogre hit 50% failed BH rolls, he sacked him (only had Guard by then) and replaced him with a new one (and a new model!). New one did much better.

Should also note that the troll, even taking unhelped RS rolls was never that bad! :rolleyes:

5. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    i will answer....after our game this coming week, as i don't think my advice can be trusted considering i'm the team's next opponent....nor do i really trust myself to be able to give unbiased advice now anyways!

i will say that i only ever buy 1 thrower on an orc team anymore. Even with all normal rolls, they don't need anything more, and having more players with under AV9 seems a dubious prospect anyways on one of the teams best known for its high AV roster.

6. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I'm a fan of not firing unless TV reduction is urgent. There is a place where you put players that underperfom and therefore you protect those that might be of value...

Its called the LOS - Line of Scrimmage. Bad throwers go there too... they usually don't come back.

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    This is a nice mix of fluff and seriousness.

If they fail a drive, stick them on the line. If they don't get killed or crippled they get a new shot next drive. Sooner or later they'll learn or leave ;)

8. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I like this idea. Hopefully after Limdood kills Uegoth it'll set an example to the rest of the team. Like Dreamy said, it's a nice balance. I'll likely do this going forward for cases of extreme ineptitude.

9. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    one can only hope...i'm 1 kill away from tying Phun for 1st place serial killer....CC champion? who cares! top spot on the Serial Killer list....now THERE'S a goal!

10. Tad30s

Tad30s Member

Country Flag:
    I fired my Minotaur with broken neck, because it destroyed my dreams of AG4 Leaping Minotaur.

11. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    And now I want to try that stuff out in singleplayer. That is going to be lots of fun.

12. Tad30s

Tad30s Member

Country Flag:
    SINGLEplayer? Where's the fun in trying it out in that?
    Build that mino in Naggaroth.

13. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    I don't play bash against others, that's why :)

14. Kanil

Kanil Member

Country Flag:
    Play gentle chaos, then.

15. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I have fired an apothecary for being useless and bought a new one in TT. I have promoted countless players to LOS duty, hoping that they would either die or get so hurt that I can fire them without the rest of the team being upset;)

16. Deluge

Deluge Member

Country Flag:
    Why doesn't that mindset apply to American Football?
    The quarterback fails his throw and they have to line up on defence and punt?
    Put the Quarterback on the line, just to teach him a lesson!