Wood Elf Full roster, no RR - convince me to not do it

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Tempted to do an Enarion with Woodies in BC2 (2 dancers, 1 tree, 3 catchers, 1 thrower, 4 linemen, no RR). If not mistaken, he performed really well with this roster in World Cup 2016 championship.

I know it’s risky with no RR, but 5 out of 10 elves has Dodge (treeman excluded), and most RR are used on dodge rolls with Woodies, no? I can more easily send assist for 2D blocks...

No RR also means I can ignore Loner on tree and Journeymen, which opens up different play lines right from the start. And I found out a Tree on rookie team ensures a slightly better longevity on my LoS elves.

First 250k earnings will obviously be spent on Apo and 2 RRs, but for a TV value of only 150k. This could give me a slight inducements advantage compared to other teams.

Compared to a more traditional starting roster with 2 RRs (2 dancers and 1 catcher), I’ll be spending 100k for RRs instead of 90k for positionals (replacing linemen ; but I expect Tree will help avoid CAS).

Rest of division is so far Norse, a traditional Wood Elf team, Dark Elves and Khemri. There’s still 3 other coaches who haven’t decide yet.

If it matters, I’m also tempted to play Amazons...

Can you convince me to be more reasonable, to ditch positionals for a reroll or two?

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
I like the woodies 0RR roster, but it requires total confidence in your coaching skills.
Also it puts you to the mercy of those double skulls ... sometimes they just happen on the first roll of a turn, potentially leading to a turn of beating ... been there ...

If you go for it consider a variant Hawca spoke about with 2 throwers.
Double the chance to get mvp on a thrower to get leader ASAP, thus you could get to 1 or even 2 rr (if winnings rolls are on your side) very quickly.

Ah, also, if you go that route I'm happy you're not in my division;)

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Rush to get Leader on Thrower? IIRC, Enarion took Dodge first on Thrower instead...

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I like the woodies 0RR roster, but it requires total confidence in your coaching skills.

Ah, also, if you go that route I'm happy you're not in my division;)

Yeah... saw you with @mamutas in Cathay... Nobody I know or heard of in Lustria... Out of curiosity, what will be your starting roster in BC2? You’re playing Woodies?

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Darkies.
I have an unfinished business with them ... planning to try and take to some form of conclusion the blog of my old CC team.
I am still undecided if to go for 4 blitzers 1 runner or 3 blitzers and 1 witch.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I am still undecided if to go for 4 blitzers 1 runner or 3 blitzers and 1 witch.
Dark Elves have close to no embedded rerolls, save for the 4 Blitzers with Block (pseudo reroll, because it saves you a team reroll). You need them all. Runner is a liability. It’s fragile, doesn’t have Block or Wrestle, not protected by Dodge, and doesn’t have Catch or Pass to help the ball game. Witch has Dodge, but is one less player with Block if you take her, and she’ll eat up your rerolls as she rolls twice per action (frenzy). I think you’re better just saving the money for your Apo or the first Witch. Or... no reroll, 4 Blitzers, 2 Witches and 30k savings for Apo and RRs. But that seems a lot riskier than the no RR Woodies roster, somehow. Maybe invest some of the leftovers to take a Runner or two, and train one ASAP with Leader? YOLO! :)

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
If you go for it consider a variant Hawca spoke about with 2 throwers.
Double the chance to get mvp on a thrower to get leader ASAP, thus you could get to 1 or even 2 rr (if winnings rolls are on your side) very quickly.
Can’t find a coach named Hawca on bbtactics, and Google doesn’t know him either. Typo?

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
He has won OCC with woodies, and was interviewed by Juriel and Xanders in episode 3 of the Blood Bowl masterpiece that was the Orca Cola Cast (btw I have all 13 episodes saved on my PC).

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
IMO it is the best starting roster for woodies in a league environment.
Hi @tys123 ! Would you care to develop a bit? I expressed my own view as to why I think it’s a good starting roster, but I would really like to read your opinion as to why you think it is the BEST for this environment.

I’ve read quite the contrary somewhere else, that it was ok in perpetual league where you can restart when you have a bad start, and that the 2 RRs roster was preferred in a normal league...

Quite nervous making a mistake right from the start... :(

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
The tree saves you a lot of injuries from the start and you can get the thrower to 6 SPP after 2 matches to get leader as can easily throw 3 passes a game.
The catchers having dodge reduces knockdown as well so you are less likely to take injuries.
So as long as the thrower doesn't die you will have the apoth , a leader thrower and a blodge catcher after 2 matches.
That is a lot better than you would be with a 2 reroll start.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Thanks a lot, @tys123, for the detailed explanation! :)

I usually prefer Dodge over Leader on Thrower, but I understand I should embrace Leader on this 0 RR roster. I imagine the Thrower will become one of the fabulous fives I have to protect in my defensive setup, along with 2 dancers and 2 of the 3 Catchers. This puts a Catcher at risk of a blitz... I guess it should be the one with Block then, right?

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Darkies.
I have an unfinished business with them ... planning to try and take to some form of conclusion the blog of my old CC team.

4 blitzers and runner with 2 rr for me. I don’t like having a witch before getting the apo. Also starting with the runner means you can get Dodge on him quickly.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The last team (under than me), just registered in my division : Dwarves (1 runner, 1 slayer and 4 rerolls). I hate that roster, with 9 players with Tackle, instead of the usual 5. Should I change my plan accordingly? I haven’t registered my team yet, and can still go with a different roster.

FYI, there’s 8 teams in my division, and they are :
Dwarves (above mentioned)
Dark Elves (2 Blitzers, 2 runners, 3 rerolls)
Dark Elves (unknown roster)
Woodies (2 dancers, 1 catcher, 2 rerolls)
Norse (unknown roster)
Orcs (w/ Troll and 2 rerolls)
Khemri (2 Thro-Ras, 2 Blitz-Ras, 4 Mummies, 2 rerolls)
Me and my Woodies (full roster and no reroll, or else)

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Depends on the schedule.
If you meet him first or second then your 0 rerolls will be a problem, if he's last or next to last it won't matter.
In between it'll depend on luck (injuries and winnings).

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I got the Dwarf roster wrong. There's 2 Blitzers and only 3 rerolls, so 7 instead of 9 players with Tackle. Still extremely annoying if I opt for the no reroll roster, but a bit less worse. Also, I got confirmation on the Norse roster (see below), and the Dark Elf team has 1 apo and 2 rerolls (instead of 3 rerolls). Khemri's roster is a safe bet (but not confirmed). The other Dark Elf team, as well as the Orc team, are not confirmed yet.

I don't know what's the schedule yet. I guess I'll know later today or tomorrow, and this will probably determine my starting roster.

Dwarves (2 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 1 Slayer, 3 rerolls)
Dark Elves (2 Blitzers, 2 runners, 2 rerolls and 1 apo)
Woodies (2 dancers, 1 catcher, 2 rerolls)
Norse (2 runners, 2 berserkers, 2 ulfwereners, 2 rerolls and 1 apo)
Khemri (2 Thro-Ras, 2 Blitz-Ras, 4 Mummies, 2 rerolls)
Orcs (w/ Troll and 2 rerolls)
Dark Elves (unknown roster)
Me and my Woodies (full roster and no reroll ; or 2 dancers, 1 catcher and 2 rerolls or 1 reroll and a Tree)