1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chaos Pact [FUMBBL] Limmared Lowlifes

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Purgatory, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The florescent lights inside Pizzeria Tropic flickered as the elf closed the door behind him. In the far corner of the room, right next to one of the slot machines, sat a gigantic shadow. He walked up to it, taking in the scene. On the table, a calzone was sitting untouched, cold and dry by the looks of it. Next to the plate, half a dozen empty beer bottles sat, two still with condensation from the cool drink which had recently filled them.

"You Per-Sven?" the elf asked, expecting nothing but a grund in response.

"That depends", slurred the shadow. "Who wants to know?"

"My name", the elf began, pulling down the hood of his robe, "Is Weiner. Walter Weiner. I used to be nobody, but I'm about to become somebody, and I need the help of someone like you."

The old gang and my new gang is converging in a private FUMBBL league, and I wanted to try a team I've always had my eyes on, but never gotten around to: Chaos Pact, or Chaos Renegades I suppose.

My starting line-up:

Ogre
    Troll
    Dark Elf
    Skaven
    Goblin
    6 Marauders
    4 Re-rolls

TV: 990.

Maybe not standard, I could've had another Marauder over the Goblin for a cool TV1000, but I wanted the TTM option, and also more access to Agility skills. The Skaven isn't auto-include either, as far as I can tell, but I have fond memories of mutating Skaven from playing Underworld and I plan to make mine a Wrackler with Horns, if he lives to see level 3.

The schedule:
    MD1: Chaos
    MD2: Human
    MD3: Ogre
    MD4: Vampire
    MD5: Undead
    MD6: High Elfs
    MD7: Skaven

So as you can see, a pretty bashy environment. The coaches for the HE and Undead teams are pretty new, they are playing in their first TT league with me as LC right now. The coaches for the Ogre, Vampire and Chaos teams are old school, people I used to play with back in 2012-ish, and I have the utmost respect for all of them. Especially the Vampire player used to give me fits with his Norse team due to excellent positional play. The Skaven and Human coaches are unknowns to me, but I know the Human coach is pretty new to the game.

I'm looking forward to a season of bashy goodness (though at the time of writing, I already know what happens MD1)!

2. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The Lowlifes stepped onto the field, most of them blatantly hung over from last night's binge drinking. Getting the team together in time for the first kick off had been a hassle, but Walter had had lots of help from Per-Sven. The ogre was slow as syrup at times, but he knew people around this neighborhood. He had also decided to drop his old name and take a more suitable name for the team. He was Bertil-Fredrik. Nothing more, nothing less. Nobody around here had seen him "die" on the pitch, nobody cared about what happened to his corpse. He could start over here. The first game, however, would not be a breeze in the slightest.

MD1 was against rookie Chaos team Thugs of Hell, with a basic starting roster of 4 CWs, 7 Beastmen, and 2 RR:s. We each rolled 7 for fans, and I won the toss, and decided to actually receive. My plan was to try out a couple of offensive tactics with the team, learn a bit, and hopefully hit him as much as possible with my MB pieces.

I caged up in my half near the LOS and moved up my Ogre and Troll in contact with his players. He misuses the client in his first turn, accidentally tries to dodge into 3 tackle zones with one of his Beastmen, and obviously fails. Nice! I ponder just clicking the turn back to him, but then I remember I am Chaos now, and my team is hung over.

In his turn two, he throws a block against Per-Sven, my ogre. He knocks him over with Tommy the Chaos Warrior. Armour roll is 10. Injury roll is 11. CAS roll is 67. Well, shit.

I run in a TD dodging through tackle zones with my very agile elf in my turn 4. Nuffle is just at least in this respect.

He tries to pick up the ball in his half, fails, and drops it. I go for it completely, throw the goblin, who picks up the ball using a Team Re-roll, dodges out, makes a single GFI and scores 2-0. Whelp!

In the second half, the attrition is getting to me. The Skaven was KO'd before my second TD IIRC and failed to return for the rest of the match (FUMBBL says he played 8 turns). I surrender a TD in the middle of the second half, and then stall the clock.

Final Score 2-1 (2-2 CAS)

Losing the Ogre in turn two sucks completely, and to add insult to injury, I rolled a 1 for my winnings, re-roll into a 1. Sigh. No apothecary for the next game either then. One of the Marauders leveled up (Block), nothing else added.

MD2 is against the pretty fresh Human coach, and the High Elfs were kind enough to kill one of the Blitzers in MD1 so it's looking to be a fair game!

3. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The loss of Per-Sven in such an early stage of the team's career had been a huge toll for the team. He should've known better than to suggest to the coach that they'd field a decadent, alcoholic, Ogre - connected or not. Olle-Conny and the rest would have to make due. His focus was on winning each and every game. "Focus on the balls", he said to himself, over and over. "Focus. On. The. Balls."

MD2 rolled around earlier than anticipated, which works well for me since I'm going away on vacation soon. I was up against the new coach with the Human team, and he fielded:

Ogre
    3 Blitzers
    1 Thrower
    5 Linos
    1 Journeyman
    3 RR:s

His fourth Blitzer was killed in his premiere game against the High Elves, which was good for me, since I was down an Ogre. This meant that while our teams were about equal in strength, he had more skills than me, though I had an AG4 player in the Dark Elf.

I won FAME, he won the toss and elected to receive. I kick and put up my usual columns for defense, working to not expose my positional players. A Riot in the beginning stole a turn from the half. He grinds down the field, and protects his ball-carrier really well, while trying to inflict as much damage as possible to my team. The blocks are mostly ineffective, however, and after he fails a key catch roll to move the ball away from my defense, the ball is left on the ground. I'm too much out of position to make much use of it, however, though I have a chance to score with a Marauder if I make the pick-up and 2 GFI:s in my turn 7, and 2 GFI:s in my turn 8. I managed the pick-up, but fail the first GFI despite using a re-roll. Oh well, we move into the second half at 0-0, so it's all good.

I spend my team re-roll for the first turn in the very first action (a block on the LOS to free up a player to move to assist another block), but I make the pick-up with the Dark Elf and most other crucial things for that turn anyway. He shifts his defense towards one side of the field, the one where I have slightly more players, but I quickly switch sides and move up the field on the other side. He scores two KO:s within the same turn, however, and is able to put a lot of pressure on my ball carrier. A lucky 1D blitz opens up a hole in his defense, however, and I'm able to run in a TD on my turn 5.

The rest of the game is spent stalling from my side. He has a shot at a TD in his final turn, but doesn't see it and misses the opportunity. It did involve a 4+ dodge, a 3+ dodge, two GFI:s and a pretty long pass though, so it was a difficult play to make.

Final Score: 1-0 (0-0 CAS)

I roll another 1 for winnings, but I re-roll into a 2 (money for Apoth!). MVP lands on a Marauder with SPP, and the Dark Elf hit 6 with his second TD, so two skill rolls!

The match wasn't as exciting as the first one, but it did have a very tense ending. I looked at the dice statistics afterwards, and they were pretty fair. I rolled slightly worse for block dice and armour/injury, and I rolled slightly better on 1D6 rolls.

The team after the game:

Troll
    Dark Elf - Dodge
    Skaven
    Goblin
    Marauder - Block
    Marauder - Block
    4 Marauders
    Journeyman

4 RR:s, 2 FF, Apoth, 20k in the bank.

TV: 1030

Both of my skill rolls were doubles, but I elected to ignore both of them and go for the basic skills. My next opponent is Ogres, and I need the protection to save me from Mighty Blow death against the Ogres, and I need Block to kill Snots. His roster is awesome, it contains:

6 Ogres
    Snotling - Sneaky Git
    7 Snotlings
    0 RR:s, 1 Cheerleader, Apoth

TV: 1080

He has a match to play before though, vs. Skaven, so we might see some changes to his roster.

4. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The thunderous sound of the Ogres stepping onto the pitch would be enough for anyone to lose their cool. This included Olle-Conny, the team Troll. The only one seemingly unaffected by the intimidating team was Oskar-Gunnar the Goblin, who had for once positioned himself on the Line of Scrimmage. Bertil-Fredrik quickly corrected him and moved him back. No deaths today.

Played MD3 today against Ogres, with his hilarious line-up - which didn't change aside an Ogre getting a skill and picking Strong Arm. I had 70k of inducements and pondered taking a single babe, but elected to go with Bomber Dribblesnot in the end. He won FAME and elected to kick, which was a caught immediately by my Skaven thanks to a quicksnap. I pushed hard down the left flank of the field, seeing as how he had set up a very aggressive defensive formation with most of his Ogres on the Line of Scrimmage preventing most blocks, and a bunch of Snotlings near the back. Bomber tossed a bomb, and downed and stunned three Snotlings!

In his turn three, he's scrambling to prevent the TD, but elects to Blitz the Goblin to open up a hole in my line. The Goblin goes down, is killed off, and I'm too scared to use the Apothecary so early in the game, with skilled players on the field. RIP Oskar-Gunnar.

I score in my turn 4 IIRC, with my Skaven still holding on tight to the ball, parts of his team was using their time to put a boot in my team around midfield. The rest of the half is a full-on-battle for possession, he KO:s the troll quite early, and while I'm able to get at his ball-carrying Snotling and smack him to the ground, I can't find a way to make use of that opportunity.

The start of the second half is mostly the same. He fails an important block early in the half which turns him over, and I'm able to get the Skaven and a Marauder down near the ball, and after a couple of turns of fighting for it, it bounces into the hands of my Skaven who catches it! I'm not able to get enough assists to make it a 2D blitz on his marking Ogre, so I elect to dodge instead, which fails despite me using a team re-roll, and the ball goes into the crowd, who throws it back into the middle of his half of the pitch. There it's picked up by another Snotling, whom I down with one of my Block Marauders, and a turn later the Dark Elf makes a hero play, picking up the ball in a tackle zone, passing it to a Marauder who makes the catch, runs to the Skaven for a hand-off, who makes the catch and then runs in 2-0!

After the TD the situation looks grim for my team. I have four players KO:d, including one of the Block Marauders and the Troll, the Goblin is killed and Bomber is ejected - meaning I have 6 players ready to go. I roll 3's on all 4 of my KO rolls (!) meaning none come back but they would've all come back had I picked the babe instead.
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully, the kick-off results in a Riot, and he only has a single turn left. After downing my LOS but failing to even break the armour of any of them, he attempts a hand-off for a 1TTD, but fails. I stand up the LOS in my last turn and 1D-blitz a Snotling with a Marauder, but the block is ineffective.

Final Score: 2-0 (2-1 CAS)

One of the CAS I managed was a stunty CAS, the other was a Snotling getting an MNG. I re-roll a 3 into a 4 for winnings, so two more games and I ought to be able to re-buy the Ogre! The Skaven rolled a regular skill and I chose Wrestle.

Team post-match:
    Troll
    Dark Elf - Dodge
    Skaven - Wrestle
    Marauder - Block
    Marauder - Block
    4 Marauders
    2 Journeymen

4 RR:s, 3 FF, Apoth, 70k in the bank. TV 1070k. Not going to spend any cash before getting the Ogre, sans maybe re-buying the Dark Elf if he dies before.

The dice were awesome this game for me, I made almost all of my dodges (besides the one I wrote about above and one or two more), and while my opponent was good at KO:ing my players, he didn't break armour that often. Ogres are scary to face with an AG3 team, as I noted, since the sheer amount of Mighty Blow will do damage eventually. I'm saddened by the loss of my Goblin and thus the 1TTD opportunity with TTM, and I'll re-buy him after getting the Ogre.

Limmared Lowlifes is leading the standings at 3-0-0, though only the Ogre team has played 3 matches too. That said, many other teams are at 1-0-1, and the only team able to catch up with me right now is Undead who's sitting at 1-0-0, meaning he could end up 3-0-0 after playing his games. It's decided that we will finish the season with a seeded play-off, meaning the one to finish 1st will face the 8th finish, 2nd faces 7th, 3rd faces 6th, and 4th faces 5th. Since there are 8 of us in the league, we will all play, but I'll still make an effort to get as high a seed as possible.

MD4, a match that will be played likely in several weeks, is against Vampires. He has only played one game, which was against the Ogres, but after that game his team is:

2 Vampires
    Vampire - Block
    Thrall - Tackle
    Thrall - MNG
    5 Thralls
    2 Journeymen

5 RR:s, 1 FF, TV 1050k.

He's going to face Undead first, then Chaos, meaning there's opportunity for both more skills and more injuries along the way.

Regor likes this.
  5. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    MD4 will probably be played this weekend, and the roster for my opponent is this:

Vampire - Dodge, Frenzy
    Vampire - Block
    Vampire - Block
    Thrall - Tackle
    6 naked Thralls
    2 Loner Thralls

5 RR:s, 3 FF, Apoth for a TV of 1180.

This means I have 110k Inducement to play around with. Had I gotten 10k more I probably would've settled on a skilled Merc, but seeing as I'm short, I might just go with Ulgroth and chainsaw some Thralls. He's at 11 players for the match, and those Vampires will be a handful both on offense and on defense, but overall I've got him beat in AV, I've got the Troll and then maybe Ulgroth to try and get some KO:s going, open up some areas on the pitch to move around the ball, and so on.

We'll see. He's coming off of a draw against the Undead team, thanks to a late game Riot which allowed the equalizer from the Undead coach, so he's probably hungry for a win. Further, the coach is excellent, so even if he's playing a "tier 2" team, the game is sure to be tough. Then again, I'm also playing a "tier 2" team, so what do I have to lose?

6. KevinC

KevinC New Member

Country Flag:
    Good luck!

7. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    MD4 is in the books, and it was a messy affair. I took Ulgroth, lost FAME, won the toss and elected to receive. Ulgroth spent two turns on the field, getting ejected via a foul in turn three. I moved the ball up with the Dark Elf, but - as I've stated before - the coach in question is very good, and I couldn't deal with his great positioning play and the threat of hypnotic gaze at the same time. After a failed Really Stupid the elf was exposed, and a couple of blocks later the ball was knocked loose. A scrum followed that lasted the rest of the half, but it ended with him getting a fairly unlikely TD in his last turn, so I was down 0-1. His KO:s returned, but he had BH'd two of his thralls through blood lust, so I was still up 11-9. I managed to turn him over several times during the half, but never got the ball very far - I failed a couple of 3+ dodges with team re-rolls used, and I failed a crucial dodge with the elf which netted him a -AV, which the Apoth thankfully saved to a BH. The game ended with me in possession of the ball but with no players in reach of the end zone - very sad affair.

Final Score: 0-1 (2-1 CAS)

I played pretty bad and didn't roll enough good dice to make up for that, so it's completely on me. I managed a completion with a 5 SPP marauder and he rolled a regular skill, and I picked Guard.

Squad post-match:

Troll - naked
    Dark Elf - Dodge
    Skaven - Wrestle
    Marauder - Guard
    Marauder - Block
    Marauder - Block
    3 naked Marauders
    2 Journeymen
    4 RR:s, 3 FF, Apoth, 100k in the bank (slowly getting closer to re-buying that Ogre!) TV 1090

My next opponent is a pretty fearsome Undead squad:

Mummy - Block
    Mummy - Naked
    Wight - Dauntless
    Wight - +AG
    Ghoul - Block
    Ghoul - Block
    Ghoul - +AG
    4 Zombies - Naked
    1 Skeleton - Naked
    3 RR:s, 3 FF, TV 1280.

However, he has a game against the humans first, so we might see some changes in his roster. Not expecting to come away with a win against that team either, but with a little luck I'll be getting an Ogre after the game!

8. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Stopping a good vamp coach from getting blitzes on the ball is almost impossible so don't feel too bad. You juat have to drag drives out and try to win the attrition and sounds like that wasn't really working. When they don't implode vamps can really give bash teams nightmares.

9. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, it was a nightmare. Even though the Troll managed to down Thralls several times, not even he could crack the armour despite MB. He did most of the damage to his own team, though that was in part made up by both him rolling good KO rolls, and him managing to remove some of my players from the pitch.

10. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I had somewhat forgotten about this blog, and I haven't had time to write anything anyway lately, but here's a quick re-cap for the last games of the season:

vs. Vamps: 0-1 (0-0).
    I can't be bitter about this game, he outplayed me right from the start with his superior positional play. The Vamps gave me fits with the ST4 AG4, and even though he managed to do a bit of damage to his own team through Bloodlust, I couldn't capitalize.

vs. Undead 0-1 (0-5)
    This game has me convinced Blood Bowl is, in the end, a game about storytelling, and this became the game where three of my players died, despite the Apothecary. This Undead coach has had an awesome season, he's something like 20-5 in CAS overall, and has rolled several great skill-ups. It's one of the newer coaches from my own TT league, so it's nice to see a new player playing a great season, but it sucks having your team decimated.

vs. High Elfs 1-1 (0-1)
    If the game vs. Undead was "That game when nothing worked and three of my players died", this was "The game I played with six journeymen", but despite that I managed to put up quite a fight. My injury dice were hot, and I soundly out-KO:d him, though I didn't deal any lasting damage to his team. In the final turns of the game, I was all set to score 2-0 with my elf, I had him safe in a cage within reach of his endzone, when one of his Blitzers dodges into the cage, 1D's my elf, and succeeds. The ball bounces around and ends up in the hands of one of my linemen. I only have to dodge out 3+ though and run to the end zone, but fail despite burning a re-roll. The ball ends up in two tackle zones, where the Blitzer dodges into, picks it up, dodges out, throws a 4+ pass to a Catcher, who runs in the TD in his turn 8. Very epic end to the game, sorry to lose two points there.

vs. Skaven 2-1 (4-0)
    My newly-bought Minotaur BH's his Rat Ogre in turn 1 (Apoth'd), and it's downhill for him there. He scores in his own turn two, despite me marking all his players, but that leaves me plenty of time to grind down his side of the pitch for a late TD. In the second half, he has 7 players against my 10, and it's never really close. His good positional play forces me to activate the Big Guys more than I like to, but I manage to roll well enough that that never haunts me for real.

And that's the end of the season, 4/1/2 is good enough for third place, and my two losses were to the #1 and #2 seeds (Undead and Vamps), so I'm alright with that. The team, going into the play-offs:

Minotaur - Naked
    Troll - Guard
    Dark Elf - Dodge, +AG
    Skaven - Wrestle
    Goblin - Naked
    Marauder - Guard
    2 Marauders - Block
    3 Journeymen

4 Re-roll, 5 FF, Apoth, 80k in the treasury for a TV of 1260.

My TD diff is 3, my CAS diff is -1, mostly due to the Undead coach. Losing 5 players in 5 games is awful by any team's standard (bar maybe the stunties?), and especially considering I lost a Block Marauder, the team's progression has been slow. Almost there when it comes to winnings, so I can get the third big guy.

11. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    LIMMARED LOWLIFES FINISH 2ND
    Despite suffering major losses to the squad, including losing the Ogre in turn two of the very first game, and losing the Minotaur in his fourth game, the Limmared Lowlifes managed to finish third in the standings at the end of the first season, and losing in the finals of the play-offs.

A quick re-cap:

Quarter-finals vs. Ogres 3-0 (3-3)
    A pretty standard affair vs Ogres. He hits and fouls my team, while I steal the ball and score. He has a +AG Ogre who is designated ball carrier, but he is never able to protect him enough with all the snotlings running around. Eros Ramasnotti, the hated top fouler of the league, BH's himself on a dodge, unfortunately, so I couldn't get to him. Managed to stat lower an Ogre with a Loner on a defensive block (woo!), but he is Apoth'd and brought right back in the game. Their next run-in, the Loner is killed off, marking my sixth death this season.

Semi-finals vs. Vamps 2-0 (2-1)
    A very exciting game, and his first loss, he finished the season with a 5/2/0 record and won his quarterfinal match. The dice were pretty fair in the first half, with me rolling slightly better I think. They were completely lopsided in the second half, with him not able to do much of anything, and me breaking armour and causing injuries left and right. He finishes the match with five players on the field, one Vampire -AV'd, one Thrall MNG, one Thrall dead. The dead Thrall was killed by the Troll, making his first CAS in over 30 blocks, and his first non-MVP SPP.

Finals vs. Undead 0-1 (2-1)
    A very bitter end to the season. I think I played pretty well, but he's balls-to-the-walls playing, making a bunch of one-die blocks (an succeeding in getting knock-downs on six out of seven of them!) and risky plays that never seem to come back to bite him. After a pretty messed up drive in the first half, he's able to one-die block his ball-carrier out of a double-marking (one of them was my tackle player) and run in the score in turn 8. I fail my drive and the Minotaur is killed, despite using the Apothecary (this is my second dead-dead result this season, both has happened against this player).

All isn't doom and gloom, the Troll snagged the MVP which put him at 17, and he rolled 3-3 for level!

Squad post season:
    Ogre - Naked
    Troll - Guard, Block
    Dark Elf - Dodge, +AG
    Skaven - Wrestle
    Goblin - Horns
    Marauder - Guard
    Marauder - Block, Tackle
    Marauder - Block, Mighty Blow
    3 Loners
    4 RRs, 6 FF, 110k in the bank, TV 1350

It looks like we'll be 10 coaches for next season, in my next post I'll do a quick run-down of their teams!

12. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Season 2 teams!

This is, preliminarily, the teams for next season, hopefully we'll get started this weekend.

Limmared Lowlifes - TV1350 - The best team in the league, duh.

Ogres - TV1350 - Same team as last season. He doesn't have any special levels in the squad, but he has made enough winnings to buy a re-roll! Finished last season 0/0/7, so he's probably hungry for that first win. The team's theme is hilarious.

High Elfs - TV1480 - Same team as last season. The coach in question plays HE in our TT league as well. The squad is looking really neat, he has a couple of +AG levels, one of them on a Catcher, and he's been able to spread around the SPP well, so he has several skills on his linemen, kick, dodge etc. Finished last season 3/3/2.

Chaos - TV1470 - Same team as last season. We squared off with TV1000 teams last season, and his squad is very different. All Warriors are skilled once, three has Block and one has Dodge. All of his Beastmen have skilled bar one, and they've got the standard mix of Block, Sure Hands, Extra Arms, and Guard. Finished last season 3/3/3.

Undead - TV1750 - Same team as last season. Reigning champion, and a fearsome squad indeed, although a bit bloated. One of the Mummies has Block, one Ghoul has +AG, as has one Wight, and so on. 15 players though, and 5 re-rolls, so there's lots of TV not on the field at all times. Finished last season 7/2/0, so still undefeated.

Goblins - TV1110 - New team! Same coach as vampires last season. Squad looks standard, though he doesn't have the Pogoer. Two trolls, all the weapons, 11 regular Goblins (one skilled with Side Step, one with Dirty Player), 3 re-rolls. I'm not going to take this lightly, he's bound to buy all the Bribes in the world all season, and the player is very good, so despite playing one of the "joke" teams, I expect him to get a couple of wins. Farmed in the challenge league with a 1/1/0 result so far.

Skaven - TV1000 - New team! The coach is new to FUMBBL but was one of the coaches who I played with in the TT league years ago, and he played Skaven then too. The squad looks standard, 4 Gutter Runners, 2 Blitzers, 1 Thrower, 3 Re-rolls. Skaven is always Skaven!

Skaven - TV1200 - New team, new coach (to the game). Wants to grief with Weeping Dagger, heh. Farmed in the challenge league at 0/0/4 so far, but has managed a few skills on the team (a Claw Blitzer, Horns Gutter Runner, etc.).

Dark Elfs - TV1090 - New team, new coach, I don't know anything about his playstyle. The squad is interesting, 2 Blitzers, 2 Runners, Assassin, 2 Witch Elfs, 4 Linemen, 1 Re-roll. Farmed only a single game in the challenge league with a 0/1/0 result. This will probably be an interesting game.

Lizardmen - TV? - New team, new coach. Not added to the league yet, so I can't say anything about his squad.

So there, ten players for a nice long season. Hopefully we'll get away without seven deaths against us next season (I know, low bar) towards the next championship!

13. Snap Wilson

Snap Wilson Member

Chaos Pact are my one true Blood Bowl love. Need to get back into tabletop so I can play these buggers again.

Purgatory likes this.
  14. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Season two re-cap: We did two tiers, with myself, High Elfs, Ogres, Undead, and Chaos Chosen in tier A, and Lizardmen, 2x Skaven, Goblins, and Dark Elfs in tier B (based on TV).

MD1 vs. High Elfs: 1-0 (3-2)
    He expended his apothecary trying to bring back a Blitzer from MGN, but rolls dead instead. Blitzer stays MNG, but is joined by a dead Lineelf and an armour broke Catcher over the course of the game. The final few turns is a farce where we compete at failing at things. I double-1 a GFI to safety with my Dark Elf, he fails a dodge to pick up the ball. I fail the pick-up for another TD and the game ends with us scrambling near his end zone with none of us doing anything productive.

MD2 vs. Chaos Chosen 1-1 (1-0)
    This coach is excellent at defending, but is sometimes too conservative when attacking - meaning he has a lot of draws on his record. He managed to turn me over in my first drive after I botched it, and the Blizzard meant we were both unable to GFI. I do the same to him in his drive, however, and the game ends in a tie.

MD3 vs. Ogres 3-1 (6-2)
    A regular Ogre-game. Hilariously frightening to play against all that Mighty Blow and the league's top fouler, but other than that, they're often hindered by their bone headed players. I hunted down the Snotlings on purpose, and there were very few of them left on the field by the end of the game.

MD4 vs. Undead 2-0 (2-2)
    Again vs. the same coach who beat me twice last season, last time in the finals. He spent the entire first season absolutely dominating all of us, and didn't get so much as an MNG. This season has been way rougher for him, with a Ghoul getting a -MA injury and his Block Mummy getting a -AV injury. I open the game with a block on the LOS with my Troll and -ST one of his Zombies (regen failed). I blitz his emerging star 44 SPP Ghoul with my Block/Tackle Marauder and kill him outright! From there it snowballs on my opponent, and he is never able to recover from that. His first loss, no less, and an excellent end to my season.

I end up first in the standings at 3-1-0, followed by Undead at 2-1-1, Chaos Chosen at 1-3-0, High Elfs and 1-1-2, and Ogres at 0-0-4. Lizardmen win the B tier at 3-1-0, with Skaven #1 at 3-0-1 in second place, Goblins in third at 2-1-1, Dark Elfs in fourth at 1-0-3 and Skaven #2 last at 0-0-4. The Lizardmen and Skaven #1 qualify for the main playoff along with everyone from the A tier except the last place finishers (Ogres). The rest play a "best of the rest" play-off, which was eventually won by the Goblins (same coach as Vampires last season, probably the best BB player I know).

In the main play-off, I and Undead are qualified directly into the semifinals for our first- and second place finishes respectively. In the quarter finals, Skaven #1 beat Chaos Chosen (2-1), and High Elfs beat Lizardmen (4-1).

SF vs. Skaven 3-0 (6-1)
    The coach is the same as the regular Skaven guy I used to play with in our old TT league back in the day, but his team is pretty fresh and pretty beat up. He has the Rat Ogre and the full set of Gutter Runners, one of which has Horns, another Block/+AG, and so on, but his squad is 250k down from my own. He takes Hakflem and a Babe, and we're off. I win the toss and elect to receive to try and abuse his Niggling Injuries before he has a chance to score on me. I play rather conservatively, but thanks to a miscount, I'm forced to GFI with my Dark Elf, which I double-1. He rolls even worse than me, though, and while he double-1's a couple of times, my block dice, armour rolls, and injury rolls are hot! He saves a Gutter Runner from -ST with his Apothecary, and of course my Troll kills his Rat Ogre just a couple of turns later. This is this player's third Rat Ogre that I've killed over our Blood Bowl careers. I feel sorry for him, but my team has two dead big guys in the books, so I know the feeling.

The rest of the game is elementary. He runs out of re-rolls doing things he should be succeeding (like picking up the ball with AG4 players for example), and I'm able to capitalize on that.

So again the Lowlifes are in the finals! In the other semifinals the Undead picked up their second ever loss against the High Elfs, while making no permanent damage to the High Elf team.

My squad has had inverted season from last season, with no permanent damage and awesome skill rolls all around: Here's how it looks right now, pre-finals match:

Minotaur - Block
    Ogre - Block
    Troll - Guard, Block
    Dark Elf - Dodge, Block, +AG, +AG
    Skaven - Wrestle, Horns
    Goblin - Horns, Two Heads
    Marauder - Guard
    Marauder - Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow
    3 Marauders - naked
    4 RR:s, 9 FF, Apoth, 140k in the bank
    TV: 1710.

Yes, that is Block on all three big guys (I turned down 6-6 on the Ogre for Block, I'm not sure what the correct call there is), yes, that is AG6 on the Dark Elf. The second AG-boost is probably mostly bloat but I had to take it for the coolness factor. Everyone in the league seems very upset that this Dark Elf is still alive. However, as we all know, any Blood Bowl team is a single disastrous game away from retirement at all times, and this one is no exception. Season 1 proved just how easy my players die, and though we've thankfully been spared this season, I'm not taking anything for granted. I will, however, enjoy every second of coaching this beast of a squad while it lasts.

My High Elf opponent is:
    Blitzer - Dodge, Tackle, Side Step
    Blitzer - naked
    Thrower - Leader, Accurate
    Thrower - Block
    Catcher - +MA, +MA
    Catcher - Dodge, Side Step, +AG, Block
    Catcher - Block, -AV
    Catcher - +AG
    Lineman - Dodge, Block
    Lineman - Dodge
    Lineman - Kick
    2 Linemen - naked
    3 RR:s, 8 FF, Apoth, 100k in the bank
    TV: 1790.

So a classic bash vs. dash match-up. His MA10 Catcher is really dangerous, but lacks protection in the form of skills. His Blodge, Side Step, +AG Catcher is the league's top scorer, and the only one beating my Dark Elf in number of touch downs. That skilled Blitzer is also annoying, and I'll have to watch out for him since it's likely he'll go for my Dark Elf or Goblin. There's quite a lot of Dodge going around overall, meaning my Tackle player has his work cut out. Not a lot of Block however, meaning Block on the big guys of my team will be nice. I get 80k unless I buy a 13th player, but I think I'll induce bomber for old time's sake.

Finals will be played tomorrow. Here's to a championship title, hopefully!

15. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The finals was played earlier tonight, and it was a close, hard-fought game. He won fame and I won the toss and decided to receive. I had 80k inducements and picked Bomber because he's hilarious, and it's what I've been doing all along - of course he has to come along for the ride for the championship game!

My first turn starts with my Guard Marauder moving into position, and my Block/Tackle/Mighty Blow Marauder (henceforth Ulrik-Peter) blitzes his star Catcher and kills him on the spot! The Apothecary does his thing, and saves the Catcher but leaves him with a Niggling Injury, and obviously out for the rest of the match! My opponent tries to retaliate with his rookie Blitzer, but Ulrik-Peter punches him too and leaves him with a -ST injury! I then fail the pick-up roll with my Dark Elf, but that's the only team-reroll I have to use all of first half.

I score in my turn 5 after grinding down the pitch. I have a KO'd unskilled Marauder but that's nothing to his two serious injuries. My KO fails to return and I set up for defense.

His drive is also successful after some elf-ball. I managed to scatter the ball off the pitch thanks to changing weather, and he kept the ball low in his field on a Thrower for a couple of turns. At the proper opportunity, he passed it up to a Catcher in a sidecage who I marked up but couldn't reach with the Blitz thanks to my Goblin being on the wrong side of the pitch. I pushed the other AG5 Catcher into the crowd with my Minotaur though, and he's out BH. We go to half-time at 1-1.

I set up with Bomber on the pitch and kick to him in the second half. The ball scatters far again and is caught by an unskilled Lineman who runs it down towards his own end zone. I rolled a perfect defense but around this time my daughter woke up, and distracted me from playing optimally, so I'm not able to do much with the awesome kick-off result. He eventually tries to hand the ball to a Thrower, who fails the catch and the ball is left in my possession after some more bash. He desperately one-die blitzes my Dark Elf, rolls a POW and nets him a gouged eye, the first injury he has picked up. I elect to not use the Apothecary, MNG isn't all that bad. I manage to pick up the ball with my Block/Mighty Blow Marauder who runs in the score in my turn 4 for a nice defensive TD.

I kick to him again and he does the same tactic as before. The kick-off result is High Kick and he succeeds in catching the ball (he never had to roll to pick up the ball all game IIRC). The ball is kept deep in his own field, while his team tries to move up the pitch. The skilled Blitzer does a couple of daring 3+ dodges but falls and BH's himself.

Meanwhile I try to keep his guys marked but even though there are only five elves left on the pitch by this time, I'm too slow to mark his MA10 Catcher. Eventually, he dodges through my lines with a couple of 3+ dodges and moves the ball up close to my end zone. I'm able to reach the ball carrier with my Goblin and my Skaven but the Skaven can only mark him with 2 GFI:s. I try to go for it to get 2 dice with the Goblin for the blitz, but I double-1 the second GFI. 2-2, and I have two turns to score the winning TD.

My final drive is almost botched when my Troll double-skulls but thankfully he manages the Loner re-roll. I move up the ball using the Skaven, but can't keep him in range and protect him at the same time. He one-die blitzes my Skaven and gets him down, the ball scatters into the crowd and is thrown back into my half. He picks it up with a player to refuse me the opportunity to go for a TTM TD, and we go to overtime.

Overtime begins with him having 7 players to my 10. I thankfully win the toss and I'm able to safely grind down the pitch for the winning TD. On the way there, Ulrik-Peter nets yet another CAS - BH'ing his Leader Thrower. Another player is also BH'd by the crowd, thanks to the Minotaur. My Block/Mighty Blow Marauder blitzes away his Blodge Lineman in the final turn, scoring an MNG CAS on him as well, before the Skaven runs in the winning TD, with but three elves left on the pitch.

Final Score: 3-2 OT (4-2)

Counting the crowd and the fall, his team took seven casualties in the game, meaning I was almost always outnumbering him on the pitch. My block dice and injury dice were very hot - 7/21 injury dice were 10+! I rolled 69 blocks and caused 43 armour rolls, meaning the ratios were very, very much in my favour.

MVP landed on a 3 SPP Marauder who picked Pass. I think I need to abide Nuffle by building a Pass/Accurate/Strong Arm thrower after he granted me this season. The team will play at least one more season, since they're looking so good right now. It will probably begin within the next couple of weeks. Ulrik-Peter won most CAS in the league, and my Dark Elf won most TD's (tied with the High Elf Catcher, but the tiebreak was SPP:s I think), most rushing yard, most SPP:s and most MVP:s.

The team, post season:
    Minotaur - Block
    Ogre - Block
    Troll - Guard, Block
    Dark Elf - Dodge, Block, +AG, +AG (MNG)
    Skaven - Wrestle, Horns
    Goblin - Horns, Two Heads
    Marauder - Guard
    Marauder - Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow
    Marauder - Pass
    2 Marauders - naked
    4 RR:s, 10 FF, Apoth, 190k in the bank
    TV: 1740. (1550 when subtracting for MNG)

I think I'll buy another Marauder to go to 13 players, which the team has never been. I'm going to wait for the next season to begin to decide however.

Here's a link to the team in all its glory, including the logo, the theme song, etc. https://fumbbl.com/p/team?id=882748 You can watch all the replays etc. as well from there.

sbr32 likes this.
  16. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Congrats on the title!