1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Fundementals and Team "Reliability"

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Breidr, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    So I went a tried to elf and kind of failed. I still have a lot to learn. I started up a new Undead team for ReBBL and it's been going okay. I won my first game and got a +ST Wight. The second game was a tie, but just barely.

Looking back on it there were some sloppy plays and decisions. That Skaven team really should have won that game. I did the "potato" play as the kids are calling it now and got away with it. Failed to count my squares right and moved forward anyway in a shaky formation and wasn't punished. Things like that.

I'm going to continue the league, obviously, but I wanted to take some time in COL to run some practice games and teams. Make sure I don't make mistakes in the future and generally brush up on how to play Blood Bowl right [if there is such a thing :p]

I actually started a human team in COL because they are "great for learning the game." I'm not sure how good of a choice that is. I still feel they are weak against bash teams. They can bash elves, but don't have the agility to run away from bashers.

This got me thinking about team reliability, even though I'm not even sure what I mean by that. Elves are reliable due to prevalent AG 4 and dodge, they can handle the ball and do what is needed.

Humans, not so much, and without 4 ST blockers they seem to flounder. I did fight Orcs to a stalemate.

If I was just looking for teams that "work" at "most" TRs to get the feel of coaching, what would I be looking for in my players?

2. DireSickFish

DireSickFish Active Member

Steam Username:
    SickFish
    Cyanide Username:
    DireSickFish
    Country Flag:
    Undead, Lizards, and Dark Elves would be my recommendation for go to teams. Lizards make it real easy to get 2d blocks. The skinks have enough movement that you don't need to make it very far up the field. And the team in general is fast enough to recover from positioning mistakes. Undead are great out of the box and every piece has a dedicated role that they are good at. Dark Elves are the most forgiving AG4 team due to the amount of block and dodge they start out with.

A lot of people recommend orcs. But they're a bit on the slow side, and if you new could get your Black Orcs out of position.

I think the best thing you can do to learn, is watch better players play. Check out some streams and pick up tips from the experienced coaches.

3. Valcurdra

Valcurdra Active Member

Country Flag:
    Not sure i agree that humans don't have the mobility to get away, but that's a different story i guess.

Depends on what you want to learn? It is probably better to learn by playing the more extreme teams first, Skaven or high elves if you want to learn scoring focused teams, and orcs or dwarves if you want to learn bash focused seems like a good place to start.

4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    In terms of good at all TVs the formula seems to be having good starting skills to get you going early (and for replacing casualties) AND good stats for long term development. For me the best examples of this are wood elves (agi 4 MA7 blodge leap blitzers and dodge catchers) and dark elves (agi 4 AV 8 6 players within 6 SPP of blodge). For bash teams there are less all rounders but undead (4 dodge 2 block) and orcs (sure hands thrower and 4 block) are not bad just a bit slow and lacking claw.

5. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    The two block and likely 2 or dodge is nice with undead, but its the two starting MB and two STR5 players that really give the team their early success.

6. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    For my money the teams that just work at most TV are Undead, Orc and Dwarf. None of them will ever become truly amazing like some teams do at high TV, but they all start out able to do what they do and only get better at it as time goes by. For a slightly tougher experience that's still fairly easy to pick up you can expand the list to include Necro, Humans, Lizards (just remember they're they're a hybrid team rather than pure bash) and Chaos Dwarfs. I don't think there are any simple agility teams, with so few of them they all play in a specific way that's not necessarily obvious.

7. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I probably learned the most starting a woodelf team with no rerolls.

I took 3 catchers, 2 dancers, a tree, a thrower and the rest linemen.

I lost some games but learned so much about managing risk.

Safe blocks first, 3 dice, then 2 dice with block, move people who roll no dice at the start of the turn, move dodge players before those with no dodge reroll... That sort of thing.

If you can stick with it they develope into a great team. Get leader first, buy an apo, then a reroll, replace wardancers. Just watch that your catchers do no eat all of the ssp.

notafunhater likes this.
  8. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    I tried that once. I had 2 dead and 2 permanent injuries in the first match :)

coachman likes this.
  9. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Good job journey elves are OP... and with no rrs exactly the same as your other elves!

notafunhater, DireSickFish and sbr32 like this.
  10. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    I'd recommend the Amazons but they aren't in BB2 yet, so..

Anyways, I think that Orcs is the best team for 'learning the game'. They aren't the very best perhaps, but they're solid all around, doesn't cost very much, and they stay alive. Furthermore, the slower Black Orcs actually really teach you a lot of the importance of good positioning. It might be a struggle at first but then you'll start seeing the patterns of what's screwing you over when your Black Orcs are far away from where they need to be, and as such you learn valuable positioning skills which you can use to great success with all of the other teams you'll play in the future as well. Plus they can have a Troll and I advice you to take him on board just to teach you more about Big Guys - What they're good for and how they can screw you over if you're not careful! Undeads are good for much the same reason as Orcs, except they have a larger mixture of players with - As mentioned above - Very obvious strengths and weaknesses on each piece. Chaos Dwarfs will also be a good choice for learning once they are released in a couple of weeks!

11. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    Started a new Orc team in the current CL. Going to try and go without a thrower and see how things work. A lot of coaches I see carry with a Blitzer and I thought I'd give it a shot.

My Undead in ReBBL are doing okay. Got a match against Lizardmen next, one of my weaknesses as a coach, so it should make for an interesting game. Thank God for my 4 ST Wight, no guard yet though...

Will give Chaos Dwarfs a shot when they come out. Once I get caging down, I'll experiment with some other teams.

12. Valcurdra

Valcurdra Active Member

Country Flag:
    I would carry with a goblin before a blitzer to start with.