1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting into Tabletop

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by sbr32, Nov 17, 2015.

1. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I have recently come across a local gaming group that plays some Blood Bowl (among other things) and as the kids have moved out and the cat tends to get annoyed with me I have decided to take the plunge and join them for some Blood Bowl gaming.

My favorite race right now is Vampires but I'm not sure I want to put up with them for pick-up games or short leagues so I am going to put that off for a while. I bought the Meiko Necromantic team (too bad Willy's Miniatures Necro team isn't available to the general public :mad:) a week ago and am waiting for it to be delivered.

I have played a lot of the Cyanide PC version of Blood Bowl but outside of some Risk in Junior High and Axis and Allies in high school I have very little experience with table top games, much less miniature gaming.

I would be interested in:

Tips/Advice/Tutorials on painting
    Unexpected differences between the PC and Table Top games
    Table Top etiquette that might not be obvious to a newcomer
    Any other advice anyone could give about anything

Thanks in advance

2. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
  3. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I'm not going to advise anyone on painting apart from painting/modelling the basses makes even my shoddy paint jobs look better.

In TT coaches do seem to be more at ease with rolling a single die than round here. I think it is to do with the generally lower TV that TT leagues/tournaments compete at. Where I am this year my team could play 6 games and then be out of the main competition. This also means you may want to adapt builds and starting rosters as most advice on BBT is for MM or perpetual leagues.

It does take a couple of games to get used to it so just tell your opponent at the start and try and learn good habits. Not taking it too seriously helps with this.

Tournaments are a very different way of playing and you should try at least one out. The main piece of advice is to have fun and not take it too seriously. If your opponent is having fun you are more likely to have fun no matter the result.

4. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Considering looking into if the group you are joining have any conventions about how to colorcode your players bases!

I mean the outside of the base. Since it makes things so much easier to see which of the models is a DE blitzer and which is a Linemen.

For instance me and my IRL friends use: RED for Blitzers, BLUE for Throwers, YELLOW for Catchers and BLACK for Blockers, While the linemen gets Green.

Gold for StarPlayers.

Makes things really nice and easy.

Other then that. Paint them all up. Even if the standard is low, it is sooooo much better then a halfpainted team.

/SorroW

5. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Over here we generally colorcode for skills instead.

There's even rubber bands for sale for the purpose, which is great. Then just mark the players you or your opponent are most interested in (dodge, guard, tackle, diving tackle - usually some skills are scarier than others)

6. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I do both. Paint the base for positions and use rings for skills. Sometimes it's not needed where the different models are quite different like with my undead/necro. However my amazon/human/norse team models are not that easy to tell apart. I find it's handy for me to be able to spot all my own players quickly however I would say getting some rings/bands for skills might be more important as constantly being asked who is who takes some of the fun out of the game.

7. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I'll have to do a proper update with all of my goings-on, but I played and won my first league game last night. I won 2-1 with my rookie necro against a human team with no ogre but a skill each on the thrower and catcher.

My wolf made a crazy defensive play early on with a blitz that knocked the ball carrier down, then caught the ball out of the air and dodged away behind a tenuous screen. My opponent's dice wouldn't let him make the dodges and gfi he needed so I was able to stall out for the t8 score.

In the second half my wolf made another break away and was about to get his second score and a level but a dodge - gfi assist and a dodge -gfi-gfi blitz knocked him down and stunned him. I got a lucky bounce and the ghoul was in position for the standard blitz- push - pick up -gfi score.

I didn't try very hard to prevent the opponent from scoring at the end, more worried about keeping my players alive and punching people with the wolf.

8. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Just a heads up - Willy's Vampire Team is generally available. I got mine by emailing him - i'd be surprised if thats changed.

Excellent choice of race :D

9. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    This league allows players to have up to 2 teams so I am going to start up a Vampire team to join my Necros next season and it will be Willy's Vamp team.

Lost my first match tonight to go to 2-1-1.

Played some Dark Elves with only 1 Reroll but I couldn't take advantage because he kept hurting my guys (who Regened every injury) and I couldn't break his armor.

10. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Played the last match of my first season of the persistent league today, and tore up an Orc team. I ended up 4 Wins, 3 Losses, 1 Draw and am looking at 6th place in a 16 team league; only 4 make the playoffs though.

My losses were to:

Dark Elf team with 1 Reroll who rolled 4 Double Skulls in the first half. Unfortunately every other Block seemed to injure one of my guys, and the coach was very good and didn't let the turn overs hurt him too badly.

A Norse team that bashed the daylights out of my team, with every Regen roll failing, while I couldn't break his AV7 for anything.

A Lizard team (my Kryptonite) that had a better coach and better dice; it was ugly.

I am relatively happy though, I didn't make a complete fool of myself at any point and think I have mostly learned all of the little things that are different when playing tabletop vs on the PC. Except moving my turn marker, that one may never happen.

I think my roster is coming along nicely as well. Not only do I have Block on both Wolves, I got Mighty Blow on one of them after today's game; Block on a Golem; Dodge on a Wight; a Block Ghoul and most likely a Wrestle Ghoul and 2 Block Zombies.

Now I just need to finish painting the team. :oops:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  11. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Update and picture time. I bought these in November, the league started in January and like almost every other project I undertake I got the painting about 80% done and lost interest, luckily (or unluckily depending) the league didn't care if models were painted or not.

The league ended a couple of weeks ago - I finished 4-3-1 for 6th place in a 16 team league, no playoffs though- and I refocused on getting them painted. A big driving factor is that I think I am going to go up to Vancouver B.C. for the Spike! Magazine BB Tournament, one of the major BB tournaments of the year. They didn't turn out quite as well as I wanted, but it is my first time doing anything like this. Maybe I'll strip em down and retry later after I get more practice, which is coming.

I have accidentally bought a bunch more teams recently. I backed a Kickstarter by Willy Miniatures for their new Nurgle team, then used a Stretch Goal discount to buy their Vampire team as well. Then I backed an Indie-go-go project for a Lizardman team from a small group I had never heard of before. Then I bought 1.75 copies of the old 3rd edition board game so I have enough Humans and Orcs to make teams from those as well. I also bought the 6 models I need to turn this Necro team into an Undead team.

Some finished pics of the Necros, not sure how they they ended up so shiny I used a Matte varnish.

[​IMG]

Wights - never got their faces fixed

[​IMG]

Flesh Golems - meh

[​IMG]

Werewolves - Really like the brown one, the grey one is still no good even after stripping it down and starting over, oh well

[​IMG]

Ghouls - these I like

[​IMG]

Zombies - couldn't deal with a lot of the gore details on these but they ended up not terrible. I love the story behind the Orc Zombie. The original Orc Zombie was killed in one of my early games, so that model just sat around for a while. Then in my last game of the season I just destroyed this Orc team including killing one of his Black Orc Blockers, who was raised as a Zombie and the model I had for that Raised Zombie just happened to be my Zombie Orc one. Very cool!!

[​IMG]

Tjorne likes this.
  12. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would use washes to give your minis some shades. What varnish do you use? I would recommend Testors Dullcote matte.

13. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I had some humble bragging to do but had forgotten about this thread, so now I have a place for it. :D

No updates on the painting front. I did paint up the Willy Vampire team but they are just barely tournament legal, I did get some other tips though so I am hoping to get them finished up sometime in the near future.

We finally had our second season of our local TT league. I stayed with my same Necro team and finished 4-3-1 again, though this time I was in the playoff race (top 4 teams) until I lost my last match. We are starting up again on June 20th and I think I am staying with Necro-I have an AG4 Wolf and an AG4 Wight, but my Mighty Blow Wolf got killed by Helmut Wulf.-but am also considering changing up. I have a Lizard team and I have absolutely no idea how to beat Lizards so I thought playing them would help. I also have this very weird desire to get Elfy but I am hoping that goes away.

The club I play with had their first big BB tournament back in March; a 2 day 6 match NAF tourney. I went with Vampires; 4 Vamps (2 Block, 2 Dodge), 10 Thralls (1 with Leader), Apo (only have 10 Thrall models), and 3 RRs. I played Undead, Chaos, 2 Orc teams, Dwarves, and Chaos Pact and came out with 1 win (against Dwarves) , 1 loss (against the first Orc team) and 4 draws. I pulled some serious AG4 BS on the last turn of my last match to get the draw against Chaos Pact though. I was pretty happy about that. I also won a 3rd Edition Count Luthor model in the raffle at the end which was sweet.

Then a couple of weeks ago we had a small 1 day tournament with rules similar to the Foul Bowl. I was going to go with Necro but my other buddy went with Necro so I went Vampires again. I had 5 Vampires (all 5 with Blodge, 1 I was able to take Blood Lust away with a double skill), 10 Thralls (again 1 Leader), 4 RRs (1.2 million is a LOT of money for Vampires :D). Only 5 other teams were there; Nurgle (with a Beast with Block and no Loner which was a real bastard), Khemri, Necro, Goblins, and an Ogre team with Morg and only 1 other Ogre I think. Somehow or another I went 2 wins (Khemri and Necro) , 1 draw (Nugle) and won the stupid thing; and that is with playing the hardest possible schedule I could have in that tourney.

So in 9 tournament games I am 3 wins, 1 loss and 5 draws with Vampires and have not had any "easy" or Stunty match ups.

We have another 2 day tournament in late July and I am determined to get up to Vancouver BC for Spike! this August. Not sure which teams I will take to either of those, but at least I can take my Vampires and know I'm not giving people easy points.

williamspd and Ilgoth like this.
  14. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Nice work, the most important thing is that you're enjoying it!

Thain Esh Kelch likes this.
  15. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    My current work in progress, my Lizardman (StarPlayer Miniatures) Blood Bowl team that will start up in a new league on Tuesday.

Top picture is the 7 Big Lizards right in the middle of getting the bone highlights done.

Bottom picture is the entire team (with the bone highlights done on the Big Lizards) the Skinks are still just primer black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul H and Sataric like this.
  16. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    Those lizards are looking very majestic. I especially like that Kroxigor design - You can tell he definitely means business. The Skinks are looking almost too competent and fierce, based upon how useless and flimsy mine tends to be, but I really like the team overall and I especially enjoy that you choose to paint the lizards a different color than the so-often-seen green or blue!

17. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. I really wanted to avoid painting them Blue but didn't have any better ideas until a Google vortex led me to this picture, which I really liked. Probably won't replicate the bases though. :D

[​IMG]

18. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Nice start, keep going, I really need to get my paints back out.

Thain Esh Kelch likes this.
  19. Paul H

Paul H New Member

Country Flag:
    Really impressed with your Lizardman team. My regular opponent plays Lizardmen and I have to say a well painted Lizardman team is a very imposing prospect indeed for an opponent! Great job!

20. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    *** DISCLAIMER I DID NOT PAINT THESE ***

I have decided that I do not really enjoy painting models. I have painted 3 full teams (Necro, Lizards, Humans) and I think that's a fair point to decide I don't want to do it anymore. I got the Iron Golems' Elf kick starter back like 2 years ago and had a league mate paint the Wood Elves for me. I think he did an amazing job and thought I would share. I numbered the bases. Very poorly.

Entire team

[​IMG]

Treeman

[​IMG]

War Dancers

[​IMG]

Catchers

[​IMG]

Throwers

[​IMG]

Star Players. Left to right: Swift Twins, Eldril, Jordell, Willow Rosebark, Hubris Rakarth

[​IMG]

mamutas, Supa, Sataric and 1 other person like this.