1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modelling Gobbo Labs: Stable Modelling/Match Blog

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Captain Thorrek, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    I'm starting a new blog, since I'm going to be working on a couple teams, and trying paint the ones I already have, in addition to my online games with Sasjhwa. We're also going to try and get some games in via Skype... just gotta reposition the webcam to look at the game board (we already have the squares numbered from our play-by-email matches, in case anything happens). The great thing is I finally have some time to work on my teams, not to mention reading the other blogs on the forum (something I've been sorely missing).

Each physical team is going to have their own team ball, as befits their theme. I'm not too sure what ball to have for my necromantic and dwarf teams, but we'll get to that later on. So here's the teams I have in mind so far..

Some of them you know about: The Krakkens (my Warhammer Army), Yellow Snow Tribe (Savage Orc Team based off my SO army from Warhammer), Moulder's Marauders (Skaven was my first self made team's race), and the Gobbo Science Society. Two new teams will be making the stable, though I don't know who I might cut out of the total stable if I need to remove one or two... but at least they'll get done! :) One is a pirate necro team; taking bits from the skeleton and Empire free company for most players... and some reaper minis also (weresharks, Dark Maiden (Fleshy), and banshees (Ghouls). I think it might come out looking pretty sweet, but they're a team for later on down the road.

The one I just made is:

Silent Atrocity(Dark Elf):
    Team Motto:
    Team Ball: Skull
    Team Colors: White

There is only one race outside of Warhammer who matches the Dark Elves in sadism and malicious temperment. We all seen them raid rivals, taking slaves and grim trophies back to their island for "adventures". Horror upon horror is attributed to them, and they never deny their actions. Just one look into their dead eyes shows the true nature of evil. I am, of course, referring to Hello Kitty.

This teams pretty much done, all it did was cost me a couple packs of Hello Kitty Squinkies... they're prepainted and pretty close to the right size! :D All I gott do is get the ball painted from my skeleton sprue, get some numbered bases on the team, and I'm all set! :)

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The Hello Kitte Theme - Instant Team - Only Add Dice :D

3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Pics or it did not happen:pow:

4. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I've seen Warhammer 40k Sisters of Battle done in Hello Kitty style before - scary stuff. On a Blood Bowl team - yikes. :D

I've also seen some impressive Dark Elves done using Dark Eldar witches and warriors (in a display case at GW HQ).

5. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Okay, I snuck through and snapped a photo of a Hello Kitty pack getting ready to feast on a Black Orc... here it is:

[​IMG]

The toys themselves are called Squinkies... Blip Toys puts them out, and they had six Hello Kitties a pack. Buy two packs and it's instant team!:D This team I'm going to go with two each of the Assassins, Witches, and Blitzers. Yep, I know it's not exactly the greatest idea, but that's what Gobbo Labs are for. I also like giving myself a challenge, not to mention having two ballcarriers with Stab will be interesting. So pretty much, yeah... I'm trying to make Assassins work for me. The race gets great results, quick, but I want to try and work with a lower TV. If I need speed, the two Blitzers should work out just fine.

As for the Assassin Build, I'm thinking of:
    Regular: Sure Hands, Block, Dodge/Leap/Side Step, Catch
    Doubles: Mulitiple Block, Leader
    Stat Increases: +MV, +AG

Tuesday or Wednesday, I'm going to get started on a team I'm just waiting to get in from eBay. :)

Yellow Snow Tribe (Savage Orcs)
    Team Colors: Blue and White
    Team Motto: Ahhhh, refreshing!!

Blizzid and his Savage Orcs were once marauders, wreaking terror across the Old World, when just reeking on its own wouldn't due. Now they've taken to the pitch, espousing the benefits of Mork's (or is it Gork's) elixir. You might want to stay away from their slushee cart at halftime...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  6. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Scary how they swarm the poor black orc, I bet they will gang foul him and not even show any remorse;)

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Why not yellow and white? Too obvious? But it would match the name.. it's like having a team nicknamed "the reds" with yellow and blue as team colors :p

8. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    The fluff for my Savage Orc army was they started out in the mountains, when they discovered Mork's elixir, so I needed colors to give a cold feeling. Also, when I think of yellow on Orc flesh, the first thing that pops into my head is "highlight color", from the old guide to painting Warhammer Armies.

With no forest gobbos in my collection, it also forces me to use Night Gobbos for my Webby Gits... not bad when they already have nets. :) A nice, deep blue will go great with the robes when painted white... I'll just need a good deal of help in trying to find a technique to do flowery Hawaiian shirt designs on.:D

Still, for the team ball I might be able to use a yellow snowball in addition to the green stuff spider I plan on making. :)

9. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Lunch Lady Ninjas vs DinoScores: 0-3

Sumi darted through the backfield like a grain of wheat upon the wind. Though her Sticky Rice technique wasn't perfected, she knew this time the ball wouldn't escape her. I'm a field of grain within the breeze, she thought; a quick knee-bend over the ball and she dashed off to find a receiver.

At midfield she paused to look for an opening. Seeing her target, she paused to throw and... where's the ball? A terrified glance backwards revealed the ball in its original position, with two skinks watching over it like it was Pepper Steak Day with vegetable medley.

A sigh oozed from Sumi's lips. She imagined the shidoshi wouldn't approve of her neglecting the Fruit and Vegetable aspect's mantra of staying focused.

* * * * *​

The game started out great. It promised to be an intense match, and with Yoko Oni getting zotting by Sasjhwa's wizard and Sumi's inability to pick up the ball despite Sure Hands, it proved just that. An inevitable scrum for the ball resulted in the DinoScores recovering and a point went up for Sasjhwa.

He kicked off to me again and I ran Sumi's path over the ball for the pick up, and ended my turn with her covered near the LoS. Then Sasjhwa moved his skinks over to the ball and I told him there's a glitch in the game since I can see the ball on the ground. His reply made sense and was impossible at the same time...

"You walked around the ball."

Now how, in the name of every failed three die block against a snotling did I walk around the ball when Sumi's path was right over it?! You can guess how agitated I was at this point. After a while, I didn't even care anymore... if my players were willing to go out of their way --literally-- to deny me a victory, how can I hope to win? The part that really angered me is I only get to set up a match with Sasjhwa maybe once every other week right now. I don't need the game screwing it up. I was mad to the point where I said something I shouldn't of, and spent half of the match's remainder feeling rotten for it.

This game was a complete write-off; it's too bad since I looked forward to it. On the plus side, I'm only 10K away from my second Ulfwerner, so I'm know I get him after the next match no matter what.

The only thing to do is look forward to the next match, which should be a great one... I think it's skaven vs orcs, but I'm not sure. I only know there's two possible matches, and they both sounded like a lot of fun!

I'll just conduct a few experiments on my new savage orcs until then. :)

10. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Matches:
    Things have been real busy on the home front, so it's going to be a bit longer update .

Quick to Criticize vs. Poke E Men: 3-1

This game was the polar opposite of what the previous game entailed... no pun intended. It was the perfect time to get a Gutter Runner, since the skilled players could protect him. On the other hand, Sajhwa had a tough time with rolling, and his team's lack of ability got him frustrated on several occasions. Part of it though is his team build, which he intentionally made without the four starting blitzers (he went for catchers).

Necromantic State Hellcats vs. We is Orcs: 0-1

This match was just right. An intense brawl ensued, with both sides fighting for the ball. My wolves tried to get the score tied up, but got knocked over a few paces from the endzone each time. It was close right to the end, but only one zombie skilled up (with block). Still, a great match all round.

Modelling (pics will come soon):

Yellow Snow Tribe:
    I'm working on a Savage Orc, and it's been causing some problems. I had to strip some paint off to get the arms on just right (I was hoping to get a running pose, but the arm wouldn't stay in place even with green stuff). Also the sprue seems to have a chemical dependency with mold lines, so they need a good deal of trimming up.

Unnamed Necro Team:
    The wight's skull looks rather nice, having cut off the feathered hat from the free company and attached it to the skeleton skull.

11. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Match Reports:
    Treville's Trusted vs. We is Orcs: 3-0
    Lunch Lady Ninjas vs. Poke E Men: 2-0 (Concede)

Nuffle, you @#$%^#'n #$%*@ you! I have never seen such one-sided rolling in all my life. Strategy, SPP's, winning... none of that matters when it boils down to it. It's a game, and therefore meant to be enjoyed. This past game is just an example of what happened:

Butterfry: Dead(first block of the game!!!; apo'ed to BH), later attempts to dodge out.. Fractured Skull(now that's a blitzer with a -2AV)
    Another Player: Dodge attempt=> Broken Collar Bone

He only made One Dodge attempt all match! You know the dice were rolling unfair when I beat him with my Vampire team... and it's always a challenge facing his Orcs; I expected to lose, bad.

These kinds of matches aren't fun for anybody. Just have to write them off and look ahead to the next one.

12. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Match report:
    My team vs. Sasjhwa's: 2-3

I think my skaven played his lizardmen, but I can't remember. All I do recall is the score, and that it was a complete blast! The best games for me are nailbiters where it goes either way and the final score is done with seconds left on the clock. Yeah, it was skaven, since I remember spending all my money in buying assistant coaches... made just enough to get thirteen of them! :D

Stable Report:
    The new game started up, complete with two fresh stables. Sasjhwa went for his favorite teams, while I went with a mix for fun. :)

Sasjhwa's:
    Big Waaaghers(Orcs): Despite a good season, We is Orcs lost their qualifying match to the more successful veterans of Sasjhwa's stable.

Mabel's Boys(Human): Once again, Mabel's Pub Crawlers have to work off another bar tab of food, drink, and broken furniture.

DinoScores(Lizardmen): This green light's a good sign for the rookie team, who are eager to prove they can keep up the momentum.

War Waltzers(Wood Elves): One of the founding teams comes to remind the young upstarts on both sides of the stable who's in charge.

Gobbo Labs:

Gobbo Science Society(Chaos Dwarfs): After dissolving the Mekkaniks in favor of Gobbo Science, coach Dangly Whazzits and his interns are ready for their first taste of online action.

Boomstone(Underworld): Sherrif Ijjit and the good townsfolk of Boomstone are back on the field, and joined by a tribe of prairie skaven. This team is sure to be a fan favorite, with the tow groups fighting with each other just as much as with the opposition.

Hello Kitty Death Squad(Dark Elves): You didn't hear this from me, for few of those who know of them live to tell the tale. Huh.... what was that sound?! (This is why the killer robots in Terminator are called HK's; you just don't see the Hello Kitty decal on the side.)

Keptat Bay Hammerheads(Necromantic): The pirates aboard the dread ship Rotted Herring have conviced me to let them have a shot in the stable. Being joined by a couple weresharks and banshees does tend to go over well with the fans.

Modelling:
    I'm working on a wight now... so far he's coming in well. To give it a special touch, I went at it with a pair of clippers. Now if only I can find my hobby knife to help clean the thing up, I can assemble the mini fully. A pic will follow shortly after. :)

13. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Well, just came back from our honeymoon in Denver. It'll take a couple more days in order to settle in and make some sense of everything. After that, we might be able to get some matches and stuff going. :)

14. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Match Report
    Boomstone(Underworld) vs. Mabel's Boys(Human): 1-2

Had my butt thoroughly kicked and enjoyed every minute! There's not really much I could do; what dice rolls I made was countered by Sasjhwa's coaching. The only touchdown I scored was when I realised the team's troll didn't lose TTM (for some reason I thought they lost TTM in order to gain mutations). Barber Polecat is going on the line until I can replace him (-1 STR on a gobbo!). The prairie skaven Iron Horse didn't exactly live up to his name either, getting a Smashed Hip and earning his seat on the fire list when I can afford it. This still gives me 11 players to work with, so it's good that I'm destined to get an MVP on one of my players, but will that player survive the match is the key question. This will be a tough team to develop, but I think will be rewarding in the long term.

Stable Update
    Rotating Out: Hello Kitty Death Squad (Dark Elves)
    There's probably some of you who guessed rightly in my being unable to contain the violence and depravity that is natural to a Hello Kitty. This morning, due to killing vendors, supply trains, citizens, and visiting fans of both sides... the Death Squad was asked to leave Terror Island outright. Yes, they had not yet played their first match, but part of the legal settlement demanded they no longer take part in the tournament. That's all I'm allowed to say for the moment.

Still, it's time to look forward, and with such tidings comes a new team eager to prove itself, and is far less violent to boot.

Rotating In: Aztechno Dance Party! (Khorne)
    Regulars at a local Night Club named Tezcatli Poca have come forward. Coached by club owner/choreographer Ixt "Lil'" Ton, the team is joined by the most enthusiastic group of headhunters the Island's ever seen^! In fact, they've been promised amenities to the Night Club depending on how many kills they score. Some of them are as follows:

1: The Red Rope
    5: Someone to make sure people aren't just jumping said rope
    7: Extended menu which may not include getting dyptheria this time... no guarantees...
    10: Extended Happy Hour
    15: Lit dance floor tiles
    20: Live Band (The Pillage People)

^- I am legally compelled to deny the existence of any team who might have been "more enthusiastic" than Aztechno Dance Party!...

Reasoning: I've been given a dream team for my playstyle, so I feel I have to put my money where my mouth is on this one. The key was to come up with as wacky a concept as I could in order to counter the grim nature of the models (this IS supposed to be a humorous game after all). I went with all the positionals, one reroll, and just enough Pit Fighters to get me to 11. Hey, it worked for my favorite band Spinal Tap, so why not give it a shot?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  15. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Aztechno Dance Party(Khorne) vs. DinoScores(Lizardmen): 0-2
    Kill Tally: 0
    Amenities: None

The first half was disappointing, with my team's lackluster ballhandling showing itself several times. I didn't Dodge well, either, but it's also my fault for not using "The Bouncer" as often as I should have. The second half was a little better, with one of my Heralds making it on Turn 16 to the red zone, before that failed Dodge roll ended his chance for a TD (Badly hurt to boot).

A normal Bloodletter got the MVP, and with only 20K in the treasury, it's going to take a little longer to get my players what they need (i.e. that needed Leader skill, and the Apo). Still, with only one reroll and no skills to back up playing the ball, it's not that big a shock. There'll be other matches to skill up with. :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  16. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    Gobbo Science Society(Chaos Dwarfs) vs. War Waltzers(Wood Elves): 1-1

I think this was my favorite match, to date. The dice rolled fairly well for both sides, not to mention we played to our teams strengths. He took advantage of my players' slow speed, and I attacked anything that got too close. William the Abomination (Bull Centaur) got two of the three casualties my team inflicted, sending one to watch from the sidelines with a BH and eating the other (Apo and original CAS both Dead). It ended up to be a rather intense chess match, with chances to score the breakaway run on both sides, and the other coming in at the last minute to keep it from happening.

Post game came through for me also, with 80K rolling in for a tie. I took the cash and allowed the boyz to perform another experiment... this one's nicknamed "Hooks" (Dwarf Blocker). No one skilled up yet, but with 5 players getting SPP's this match, next one might see several getting skills.

A tie might seem boring on paper, but sometimes they're the most fun you can have when you're playing.